Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 AM   #1161
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

it was a good trade from the start...Harris will never even approach the caliber of PG Kidd was and even is at this age. Harris is a good player..but its not all abouzt ability.

IMO Kidd is the smartes player I have ever ever seen on the court and that gives hin the edge over soo many players
Old 07-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #1162
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a Jason Kidd appreciation thread? Or is this it?

Jason Kidd reflects on long road to NBA apex
Old 07-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #1163
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Damn... I was flat out bringing it in this thread!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #1164
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Best thread I could find for posting this.

JKidd is 3 steals away from passing Jordan for 2nd alltime.
http://www.nba.com/statistics/defaul...opic=4&stat=13

Could easily happen against Jeremy "Turnover" Lin

Last edited by Lestat_1795; 02-18-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:15 PM   #1165
adonis
Golden Member

adonis is infamous around these parts

Kidd shuts down Lin on sunday and maybe the Kidd haters can finally go away.
adonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:26 PM   #1166
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Instead you get to root for a confirmed wife beater.

Awesome.
Lol thiggy. Classic.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #1167
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

I forgot how many people on this board openly hated this trade.

Mostly because we lost Diop. lol

In retrospect, this trade was a steal for the Mavs. Donnie and Mark are amazing at what they do.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 AM   #1168
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

It's already been 4 years... damn.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:50 AM   #1169
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilMavvento View Post
This is the end for the Dirk-era Mavs. It was fun while it lasted.
LOL.....

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #1170
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Lol thiggy. Classic.
Yeah...I was being a bit negative at that moment.

It's funny to go back and read this thread, but really, no one assessed this trade correctly.

Consider:

-Many people were concerned about losing Diop, which turned out to look ridiculous...except the Mavs turned around and burned their full MLE on him. So they were kind of accidentally right.

-Many of the calm, logical people argued that the trade made the Mavs better immediately. Yes, five years down the road was a concern, but the trade made the Mavs immediately better. So...how'd that work out? In the short term the Mavs were no better and Devin blossomed. Five years later Kidd a champion and Devin is Just A Guy in this league.

-Some people tried to reason that getting Wright back helped offset the loss of the extra picks. Yeah....no.

Seriously, show me one person in this thread that correctly assessed how this trade would work out. I don't think it exists.

What a weird trade, and what a weird week leading up to it.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 AM   #1171
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My favorite part is the epic troll job by Devean George. I still haven't quite figured out what was going on in that guy's head, but it was fun to go back and re-read the board reaction to his nixing of the original trade. I had forgotten that he went 0-11 on the same night he vetoed the trade!

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #1172
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah...I was being a bit negative at that moment.

It's funny to go back and read this thread, but really, no one assessed this trade correctly.

Consider:

-Many people were concerned about losing Diop, which turned out to look ridiculous...except the Mavs turned around and burned their full MLE on him. So they were kind of accidentally right.

-Many of the calm, logical people argued that the trade made the Mavs better immediately. Yes, five years down the road was a concern, but the trade made the Mavs immediately better. So...how'd that work out? In the short term the Mavs were no better and Devin blossomed. Five years later Kidd a champion and Devin is Just A Guy in this league.

-Some people tried to reason that getting Wright back helped offset the loss of the extra picks. Yeah....no.

Seriously, show me one person in this thread that correctly assessed how this trade would work out. I don't think it exists.

I think you are asking way too much for a prognosticator. Avery hadn't been fired yet unfortunately and the team imo was better but unfamiliar. Dirk certainly probably had a few years added to his career without addled headed Avery's offense. Also avery was effecting personnel moves ( like rick does now except he is not an idiot ).

To think you are going to change coaches, points and not go through an adjustment period just isnt rational. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone declare that the team would be significantly better immediately record wise. But they added a smarter coach on the floor than they had on the bench.

If the criteria for that trade was only better immediately and not long term you never make it. I believe they were better, smarter immediately...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 02-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #1173
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to be critical, it was impossible to predict. But who on earth thought the trade would be a push at best for the first year and a half, and then three years later would be clearly in the Mavs favor?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #1174
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm not trying to be critical, it was impossible to predict. But who on earth thought the trade would be a push at best for the first year and a half, and then three years later would be clearly in the Mavs favor?
It wasn't anywhere near close to "impossible to predict." When you trade a journeyman--and yes, he was already a journeyman, even when he was here on his first stop--for a Hall of Famer, you have won the trade...in a big way.

Of course worry about the age difference. But you don't ever, ever think twice about the talent difference.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #1175
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
It wasn't anywhere near close to "impossible to predict." When you trade a journeyman--and yes, he was already a journeyman, even when he was here on his first stop--for a Hall of Famer, you have won the trade...in a big way.

Of course worry about the age difference. But you don't ever, ever think twice about the talent difference.
A. Devin wasn't a journeyman, that's just silly.

B. You're missing my point.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #1176
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A. Devin wasn't a journeyman, that's just silly.

B. You're missing my point.
You believe A, and that's why you believe B.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #1177
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Much easier trade to swallow for me. I always hated Devin Harris, and never thought he'd amount to anything more than a journeyman. I think a lot of people that thought he was more than that deep down inside knew what they really had in DH..... a journeyman.

To me, he never passed the eyeball test.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #1178
Lestat_1795

Lestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to beholdLestat_1795 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
All Time Leaders: Steals
1. John Stockton 3,265
2. Jason Kidd 2,514
2. Michael Jordan 2,514
4. Gary Payton 2,445
5. Maurice Cheeks 2,310
http://www.nba.com/statistics/defaul...opic=4&stat=13
Lestat_1795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #1179
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernardos70 View Post
Much easier trade to swallow for me. I always hated Devin Harris, and never thought he'd amount to anything more than a journeyman. I think a lot of people that thought he was more than that deep down inside knew what they really had in DH..... a journeyman.

To me, he never passed the eyeball test.
Maybe he wins the excel test!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #1180
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Is this trade official yet?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:21 PM   #1181
kenny_817

kenny_817 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkadirkastan View Post
Is this trade official yet?
Na...its still in the works tho
kenny_817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #1182
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think my assessment in the short term was very accurate--my take was basically that the other Mavs wouldn't meld with Kidd fast enough to make a big difference and that Kidd wasn't going to make Josh Howard not a pothead nor was it going to make Jerry Stackhouse not a dumbass ballhog....that is, the trade wasn't going to make them a better team, and their 0-99 record against winning teams and 1-4 first round ouster after the trade was fairly indicative that this assessment was correct.

I also thought that by the 2010-2011 season the team would be so old as to be irrelevant in the NBA, at best. I was arguably not 100% correct in this assessment.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:23 PM   #1183
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
I also thought that by the 2010-2011 season the team would be so old as to be irrelevant in the NBA, at best. I was arguably not 100% correct in this assessment.
I dunno...what proof do we have that they were relevant?

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
haterism at its highest, homerism at its highest, jason kidd, your turn go!