Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #41
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Black hole stat.. Josh's game validated. Ouch...
http://basketball-statistics.com/who...einthenba.html
Yup. He's a black hole.

I see Green up there too. In his defense, part of the reason is because he plays in garbage time and is sometimes force fed the ball because the backups know he can score/want to see him dunk, but we all know that's one of Green's problems. He's not a passer.

Now, in defense of Josh: there were some pretty good players on that list. Rudy Gay and Michael Beasley are good players. But their both #1 scoring options on bad teams, so they often are told to be a chucker, even if their shot isn't falling, because its hte best option on the team. Josh is a #3 option when Jet is healthy, so he really shouldn't be on that list...
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #42
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
Black hole stat.. Josh's game validated. Ouch...
http://basketball-statistics.com/who...einthenba.html
Email that to Cuban.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #43
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking around on that same site, I'm not completely sure their stats are to be accepted as 100% factual.

They list the top 50 offensive players, and Dirk is behind players such as Steve Blake, Jameer Nelson, Delonte West and LaMarcus Aldridge.

Meanwhile, both Erick Dampier AND Ryan Hollins are considered to be in the top 50 offensive players this season.

Something is quite wrong with that. Also, Dirk is apparently the best Mavs defensive player behind Erick Dampier, and Gerald Green is the 5th best Mavs defender (behind Damp, Dirk, Kidd and Shawn Williams).

Last edited by tcat075; 02-22-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #44
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I don't understand this mantra of forcing first half minutes on Stack to get him into the swing of things. In November we were told Carlisle let Stack know that he was no longer a regular rotation player, and that was what led Stack to rest and fix his injury.

So now that he's back, we think so much of him that we're acting as if he's a no brainer member of the rotation, to the point that we force feed him minutes during games that aren't decided?

I don't get it.
If Stack really was dealing with an injury that he's basically over now, don't you think his pedigree is enough for him to get some minutes to see if he can get it going? I do, and I think he's been used pretty intelligently, as well. First half, spanning the first and second quarters when the 2nd units are on the floor and he's not going to have to guard a legit wing scorer on the other team. I won't argue he's playing well, because he isn't, but I don't mind him at least getting the chance.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #45
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
If Stack really was dealing with an injury that he's basically over now, don't you think his pedigree is enough for him to get some minutes to see if he can get it going? I do, and I think he's been used pretty intelligently, as well. First half, spanning the first and second quarters when the 2nd units are on the floor and he's not going to have to guard a legit wing scorer on the other team. I won't argue he's playing well, because he isn't, but I don't mind him at least getting the chance.
We heard plenty during training camp about Stack being in better shape and him having abs, yadda, yadda. At what point do you say that the guy is done? He was averaging about a field goal a game plus plenty of misses when the season began.

You won't argue he is playing well so....why play him? Exactly what is anyone looking for him to contribute at this point? He can't shoot, can't defend, and the knees are gone.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #46
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
We heard plenty during training camp about Stack being in better shape and him having abs, yadda, yadda. At what point do you say that the guy is done? He was averaging about a field goal a game plus plenty of misses when the season began.

You won't argue he is playing well so....why play him? Exactly what is anyone looking for him to contribute at this point? He can't shoot, can't defend, and the knees are gone.
You can be in outstanding shape and still have a foot injury that will prevent you from playing basketball at a high level. And you can get in not outstanding shape pretty quickly if you're restricting your activity level to try to get over a foot injury.

As for when you say he's done? You say he's done if he can't start showing signs of improvement fairly soon, now that he's ostensibly healthy again.

And you play him to see if you can get him playing well. What I am looking for him to contribute is whatever he can. If it's not enough to justify playing him ahead of DG and Carroll, then you end the experiment and give them his minutes.

I feel like this is all just common sense - at least if you believe that the foot injury was real. And it's not like his PT thus far has cost the Mavs any games.
Old 02-22-2009, 02:58 PM   #47
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
You can be in outstanding shape and still have a foot injury that will prevent you from playing basketball at a high level. And you can get in not outstanding shape pretty quickly if you're restricting your activity level to try to get over a foot injury.

As for when you say he's done? You say he's done if he can't start showing signs of improvement fairly soon, now that he's ostensibly healthy again.

And you play him to see if you can get him playing well. What I am looking for him to contribute is whatever he can. If it's not enough to justify playing him ahead of DG and Carroll, then you end the experiment and give them his minutes.

I feel like this is all just common sense - at least if you believe that the foot injury was real. And it's not like his PT thus far has cost the Mavs any games.
just to add on to that:
"I don't want people to have ridiculous expectations about him coming back and being our savior because this has been three months," coach Rick Carlisle said. "This is going to take some time."

People were also clamoring for some toughness/fight to come to this team, doesn't Stack bring that as well?

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-22-2009 at 02:58 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:01 PM   #48
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I did something last night that I had never done before....... I left early. The game was ugly.. even on the Mavs side of things.

Last edited by Murphy3; 02-22-2009 at 06:01 PM.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:04 PM   #49
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
just to add on to that:
"I don't want people to have ridiculous expectations about him coming back and being our savior because this has been three months," coach Rick Carlisle said. "This is going to take some time."

People were also clamoring for some toughness/fight to come to this team, doesn't Stack bring that as well?
No, Stack brings a poor decision maker that's more likely to hurt this team with his 'toughness' than he is to help this team with his 'toughness'.

I don't want to see a 85 year old 2g/sf acting as if he's MJ out on the court and monopolizing the ball like he is very likely to do.. Yet, he not good at getting to the rim anymore and he never could shoot the ball worth a damn.

His 'toughness' has always been hugely overrated.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:27 PM   #50
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

85 years old is a bit of a stretch but I gotcha.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #51
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
I did something last night that I had never done before....... I left early. The game was ugly.. even on the Mavs side of things.
How is a 20 point blowout in favor of your own team an ugly game?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #52
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Murph never leaves a game early in his life until the "ugly" game in which ancient Stackhouse tries to make a comeback. Classic.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #53
tcat075
Diamond Member

lol, that's what I was thinking. he must really hate stackhouse...
Old 02-22-2009, 09:37 PM   #54
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

Murphs only been to three mavs games in his whole life. True fact.

Last edited by Windmill360; 02-22-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #55
tcat075
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
Murphs only been to three mavs games in his whole life. True fact.
stalker?
Old 02-23-2009, 03:51 AM   #56
Louis

Louis is on a distinguished road

Josh Howard always plays good when facing weak teams like queens, but always sucks in front of scrub teams.

Paul Pierce ate him alive in the game against celtics.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 03:27 PM   #57
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

what?

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #58
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
Josh Howard always plays good when facing weak teams like queens, but always sucks in front of scrub teams.

Paul Pierce ate him alive in the game against celtics.
I think you mean't sucks against good teams.