Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #1
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all
Default I can't take any more of Kidd

I love the guy, and when he's playing like he's interested he does so many amazing little things on the floor...

But this team is never going to win with him running point. He does all these amazing little things, but he's useless when it comes to the big thing POINTS.

The guy is just more an more pathetic on offense as things go on. He's not even a good passer on the offensive end unless they're on a break. It's so frustrating and irritating to watch him out there. It's really driving me nuts.

The thing is I think that there is a team out there that could win a championship with Kidd. Unfortunately this isn't that team. For Kidd to work he needs to be on a team loaded with offensive talent. He needs four other players on the floor with him who are really gifted offensively and can take advantage of what he brings while at the same time making up for the fact that he's an offensive failure. Put Kidd on Phoenix for instance, and you win a championship. On Dallas... dead end.

Dallas has only two players like that on the entire team. Dirk & Jet. It will never, ever work with Kidd. NEVER.

Ironically, the kind of PG Dallas needs is someone like Devin Harris.

Water under the bridge though. Bottom line Kidd needs to be gone. He does a lot of amazing things, but none of those amazing things are right for this team.

Last edited by cinemablend; 01-15-2009 at 12:18 AM.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

lol.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
mew2king

mew2king is on a distinguished road

I kind of agree, but who would replace him?
mew2king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I said the same thing on here about Kidd but some A$$ on here to me to stfu.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #5
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

how about allen iverson, guys?

I hear he scores a lot of points.

Last edited by Windmill360; 01-15-2009 at 12:20 AM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

There are two ways to complain about Kidd.

The first way is to articulately and respectfully voice a valid complaint. For example, you'll note in cinemablend's post that he points out some of Kidd's positives (which are very, very positive, as anybody who watches with a discerning basketball eye can tell), but then specifically notes what he doesn't like about Kidd--lack of scoring production. If you approach it like this, with a specific, legitimate complaint, I can guarantee nobody will tell you to STFU or anything of the sort.

The second way to complain about Kidd is to engage in foolish, overgeneralized, inaccurate hyperbole. This usually takes the form of something like, "Kidd is completely washed up," "Kidd is a YMCA caliber baller," and the like. If you choose to go this route, more power to you, but I can guarantee that you will be told to STFU. And you'll deserve it.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-15-2009 at 12:22 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
MavsRule41

MavsRule41 is on a distinguished road

Let's trade our 1st round pick for Chris Paul.
MavsRule41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 AM   #8
cinemablend

cinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to allcinemablend is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360 View Post
how about allen iverson, guys?

I hear he scores a lot of points.
He wouldn't be my first choice... but even he would be a better fit on this team than Kidd.
cinemablend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:40 AM   #9
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas86 View Post
I said the same thing on here about Kidd but some A$$ on here to me to stfu.
LOL.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #10
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

My nips are on fire.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

cinemablend, i will agree. The problem was this organazation did this or someone with alot of pull got Kidd here. I totally agree we are going no where with Kidd but Kidd is older and he was brought to this team. It is the front offices fault for doing this. We do not have Marion, Amare, Vince Carter, or players flying to the basket to take advantage of what skills he has left. His skills are he is a good passer in full court and is not afraid to throw a pass the length of the court and can hit anyone at the basket.

Dampier does not want to touch the ball and Diop will run away from the ball if looking to pass into to score. Dirk and Terry play outside. Josh has decided he want's to be Terry and Dirk also. I am talking now in half court. This is where Harris shines, players like Parker, Paul, Williams, shines. They can penetrate you in half court. Nash can also even in half court but he is getting older and plays really good in Kidd mode, full court. The problem is Kidd can't shoot, so you do not have to guard him way out where you do Nash and others and even Parker can shoot outside now.

I agree, Terry and Dirk can run up and down and shoot. They need a guy or guys that dunk on people, especially Kidd and can play full court. You put Kidd in half court and if you are playing against him, then just make him shoot. Guard Dirk and Terry close and you know Kidd can not go into Diop and Damp. So teams are making him be the shooter. I hate to say this but on our team Barea has a better chance giving us wins because of his youth, being able to penetrate in half court and his shooting ability. This team is not a full court run and gun team. Don Nelson left and that style left.

Kidd is put in a position to fail and doing so puts the Mavs in position to fail. He would probably do good with the Cavs also and he wouldn't have to shoot and his ast would go up. Avery made us play or made us a style like the Spurs. We had to play defense to play like them and then penetrate the opposing defense. That is the right way and it is mostly in half court. Avery did put the brakes on Harris and somewhere the wheel jumped off with Avery and we switched styles and pg's in mid stream.

It is hard to make alot of our players change styles. I really think Cuban and the staff does not want to admit the pg is any problem now. They probably feel they would be a laughing stock to admit it on what we gave up. We all make mistakes and let's move on and get better but the front office must see the weaknesses on our team and address them and even if it makes them show they made a bad trade.

You put Barea and give us another good younger pg that can shoot some and penetrate alot in half court on this team and then you give us a Josh Howard type player of old on this team right now, we would make the playoffs. It has to be some pressure taken off Terry, Dirk and even Dampier and let them 3 do what they do best but give them a half court penetrater and a do it all on the floor player like a younger Posey, Use to Josh, younger Artest and maybe even a Gerald Wallace. Maybe another bench player or two. Now you can add a piece or two to compete again.

I blame the organazation, not Kidd and not Harris. I didn't ever blame Nash. If they keep Kidd, it will be an overhaul to make us ever go again. Many players moved or shuffled around. We would have to get another pg in return and let him and Barea run the team. I hope this happens but i doubt it will because the organazation doesn't want to admit the trade didn't work or that in the end we end up with nothing or not much for Harris but the faster they swallow their pride and do what will make us better, it will be better for Kidd and our team.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:09 AM   #12
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

Kidd still has his basketball savvy. He will always be the smartest basketball player on the court, but what we're seeing now is what happens when the athleticism and tools of that player disintegrate before our very eyes. Kidd is a very, very, very limited player right now. He doesn't shoot well from any where but the spot up three, he doesn't have the burst anymore to penetrate to the basket, nor does he have the ability to finish at the rim anymore with any kind of consistency. Also, while he's one of the best weakside defenders in basketball he often gets beat off the dribble by quicker point guards, and gets shot over the top of by SG/SF.

Now, because he is so smart and so savvy there are many times when he can hide these negatives very well, he's not a HOFer for no reason. But there is no doubt about it folks, we're watching a shell of a former player who's greatest asset to this ballclub right now is his giant expiring contract. That's no knock on Kidd, time stops for no one. Who should be blamed for this is the pure short sighted approach by our front office guys. They set us back a couple of years because of last years trade. The Nets are reaping the benefits, while the Mavs are left with the smartest.. yet very old and slow Jason Kidd.

It's a pleasure to watch him work on some nights, but honestly he's not going to help this team much as much as I and many others thought he would. It probably puts MORE pressure on Dirk and Terry considering they're the only 2 players on this entire team (other than Damp I guess, but that's a very skewed stat) who can put the ball in the bucket at a high rate. Quite frankly, when you have a squad of Kidd, JJB, Jet, George and Dirk on the floor like we saw last night.. why guard any body but Dirk and Terry?

Anyways.. lets just hope the old dog has some tricks left up his sleeve. That's all we can hope for now.

Last edited by twistaeffect2004; 01-15-2009 at 01:11 AM.
twistaeffect2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #13
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistaeffect2004 View Post
Kidd still has his basketball savvy. He will always be the smartest basketball player on the court, but what we're seeing now is what happens when the athleticism and tools of that player disintegrate before our very eyes. Kidd is a very, very, very limited player right now. He doesn't shoot well from any where but the spot up three, he doesn't have the burst anymore to penetrate to the basket, nor does he have the ability to finish at the rim anymore with any kind of consistency. Also, while he's one of the best weakside defenders in basketball he often gets beat off the dribble by quicker point guards, and gets shot over the top of by SG/SF.

Now, because he is so smart and so savvy there are many times when he can hide these negatives very well, he's not a HOFer for no reason. But there is no doubt about it folks, we're watching a shell of a former player who's greatest asset to this ballclub right now is his giant expiring contract. That's no knock on Kidd, time stops for no one. Who should be blamed for this is the pure short sighted approach by our front office guys. They set us back a couple of years because of last years trade. The Nets are reaping the benefits, while the Mavs are left with the smartest.. yet very old and slow Jason Kidd.

It's a pleasure to watch him work on some nights, but honestly he's not going to help this team much as much as I and many others thought he would. It probably puts MORE pressure on Dirk and Terry considering they're the only 2 players on this entire team (other than Damp I guess, but that's a very skewed stat) who can put the ball in the bucket at a high rate. Quite frankly, when you have a squad of Kidd, JJB, Jet, George and Dirk on the floor like we saw last night.. why guard any body but Dirk and Terry?

Anyways.. lets just hope the old dog has some tricks left up his sleeve. That's all we can hope for now.

Very good post. You know some nights i see him make an unbelievable pass and i am like wow, what he was in his younger day's. Because he done those things to make your head spin alot all night long. The sad thing is coaches are seeing what all of us are talking about and going right to the weakness of the Mavs. What the opposing team is doing is making the Mavs either penetrate in half court or making us beat them with players all over Dirk and Terry or make Kidd beat them from way outside. Kidd use to really finish at the rim in his younger day's also or he would make them foul him.

Guards are killing us that Kidd and Terry have to defend. I won't sugar coat it as Dirk's man usually kills us but Dampier does help out at the basket on Dirk's man. Dirk makes up for it on offense.

I must also say it is some very good pg guards in the league now. In defense of Kidd or even Terry, Chris paul would be a nightmare to play against.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:26 AM   #14
ghazi
Platinum Member

ghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud ofghazi has much to be proud of

Frustrating watching Kidd. Frustrating. Kidd is a person who gets the most out of other weapons, but in having him, we look like a team that's lacking weapons.
ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:38 AM   #15
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

The front office has until the trade deadline before judgement day. They need a move to make this trade look like a stroke of genius... or else by that point even the people who haven't figured it out yet will realize how crippling that single trade was to the future of this franchise.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #16
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

I think in the long run, if you try to get player's to match Kidd's style of play it will be alot of moving going on or you can get a pg that matches the style most of our players play.

Gerald Green is a big mystery to me as i thought maybe he could give Kidd some dunks at the basket like Carter. We are caught in between a rock and hard place right now. I really feel like Cuban will do something even if it is right or wrong. I feel he is smart enough to not give players away like Memphis did with Gasol but i feel it is going to be some moving going on soon but we will have to see who they are. I am guessing Diop, Stack and Howard but down deep i wonder about Kidd, if they stick it out with him. It is exploiting us bad because Kidd needs a center or pf in half court he can dump it into(paint) or he needs to make them respect him outside, with his shot.

The driving day's in half court and finishing at the basket is hard now. Look at Stackhouse, in the end he stopped driving and only shot. That happens in the final day's, you are just a shooter. If we do not have dump down guys in the paint in half court for him, he can't make the long outside shot, the only other option is full court running. Who knows, Cuban may involve something with Kidd.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 AM   #17
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41 View Post
The front office has until the trade deadline before judgement day. They need a move to make this trade look like a stroke of genius... or else by that point even the people who haven't figured it out yet will realize how crippling that single trade was to the future of this franchise.
This is what i hope for. You know, even if we get less than what any of us thought maybe Harris was, it can still help us now or in the long run to get something to match the style we play. I wish we had a bigger Barea type guy that played like him but also was good on defense to defend some of these really good pg's in the league now. The pg will need to be able to shoot to make a defense respect him or him be quick and drive in half court. I wish we had one that could do both but if he did either one really good it would take alot of pressure off other's.

I hope for the best and i am rooting for us whatever we do or don't do. I'll still be watching.
Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #18
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend View Post
He wouldn't be my first choice... but even he would be a better fit on this team than Kidd.
roflllol
Old 01-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #19
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
There are two ways to complain about Kidd.

The first way is to articulately and respectfully voice a valid complaint. For example, you'll note in cinemablend's post that he points out some of Kidd's positives (which are very, very positive, as anybody who watches with a discerning basketball eye can tell), but then specifically notes what he doesn't like about Kidd--lack of scoring production. If you approach it like this, with a specific, legitimate complaint, I can guarantee nobody will tell you to STFU or anything of the sort.

The second way to complain about Kidd is to engage in foolish, overgeneralized, inaccurate hyperbole. This usually takes the form of something like, "Kidd is completely washed up," "Kidd is a YMCA caliber baller," and the like. If you choose to go this route, more power to you, but I can guarantee that you will be told to STFU. And you'll deserve it.
IOU rep
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:20 AM   #20
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

I can't take any more of Barea. Seriously, all i see him do is jack up shots. Also, when he drives to the rim he gets blocked over and over again. Its very annoying.

Last edited by Dirkgreatness; 01-15-2009 at 02:22 AM.
Dirkgreatness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:10 AM   #21
candid_snoop41
Golden Member

candid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the rough

Kidd doesnt play like a "future hall of famer"...when the guy you are supposed to guard drops a triple double on you and outplays you in every single statistical category...well, I dont think he is a good fit here.

His shooting percentage is really REALLY bad. He cant make an open shot. His intelligence and passing abilities have an impact on the fast break, but in a half court offense...he is mediocre. Give me a guy, who doesnt turn it over (by trying fancy things or being too old) and is able to make a wiiiiide open shot.

This is frustrating. Dirk and Jet are playing their a**** off...

We need a beast, who can dunk on people like Gerald wallace. Barea is a joke (pretty much the rest of the roster is in fact)... I dunno who could replace kidd.

Mavs players are destroying whats left of their player (trade) volume these days....
Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #22
candid_snoop41
Golden Member

candid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the roughcandid_snoop41 is a jewel in the rough

Found this on dallasbasketball.com:

"After a 2-for-9 effort here, Jason is 1-of-9, 1-of-9 and 2-of-9 in his last three. That’d be 15 percent.

In this month’s eight games – in which the Mavs have a 3-5 record -- Kidd is shooting 19-of-67. That’d be 28 percent.

Take away his 6-of-9 night in the 28-point loss at Phoenix (I say it’s fair to take it away; team-wise, it was an empty performance) and Jason in the other seven games is 13-of-58. That’d be 22 percent.

Since Dec. 2, Kidd is shooting 57-of-181. That’d be 31 percent.
“He's just got to continue the same approach,'' coach Rick Carlisle said before the game."

Continue the same approach...are you kidding me coach? Tell him to move his ass towards the basket (called penetration, withouth kicking the ball out every time -> actually posing a thread). He is just potting up for 3s and he cant shoot sooo...you might want to think about a DIFFERENT approach...
Old 01-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #23
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Same thing we saw at the tail end of last year. Opposing teams will continue to come off Kidd to double Dirk on every play. Dirk had to give it up pretty much every play down the stretch against NO, and in a few key stretches against Denver, because of the 2nd defender and a 3rd shading over.

If Kidd could shoot worth a damn, we'd at least keep defenses honest. We're a jumpshooting team with exactly 3 good jumpshooters.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #24
twistaeffect2004
Diamond Member

twistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant futuretwistaeffect2004 has a brilliant future

That'd be a great option, other than the fact that he can't penetrate anymore. He's not quick enough and to be honest he doesn't have the lift to be an effective finisher when at the rim anyways.

Kidd is what he is.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:35 AM   #25
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry guys. All we need is a full training camp with him and we'll be fine.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:38 AM   #26
darki

darki is a jewel in the roughdarki is a jewel in the roughdarki is a jewel in the roughdarki is a jewel in the rough

Make the Felton Deal, let Felton play the point. And try to trade Kidd for a good 2 or 3

Felton/x/Josh/Dirk/Damp
darki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:46 AM   #27
sebster16

sebster16 is on a distinguished road

Kidd is just not gonna work 4 the mavs.
Dallas need some one explosive who can drive and dish and get Terry, Dirk, and Howard some open shots.
Also am I the only one who is noticing that Kidd is also a horrible defender. All of the younger PG's just blow by him. Whenever Dallas plays another team, the opposing team's PG has an amazing game. For example: Duhon, Paul, Billups, Westbrook, and Miller. ETC.
He is the weakpoint in the team. Might as well trade him now for a young PG, cause Kidd isnt gonna get better anymore
sebster16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #28
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

kidd may be smart but hes entirely too slow to contribute to a winning team. he looks great in flashes but those are few and far between and tend to corolate to games where he feels no defensive pressure. when he gets pressured he either a) sits out at the top of the arc and does nothing or b) drives and gets stripped or shut down. kidd was supposed to be the creator we needed but he just cant penetrate to get the defense on its toes.

as for his defense- it is way overrated. in a sloppier game he is a magnet for loose balls but his on-the-ball defense is attrocious

the problem isnt that he doesnt score but its that he doesnt contribute anything we need. instead of spreading a defense he allows it to collapse because of his inability to drive and hit the three. his post passes are largely fools gold and he just generally contributes less than we need to be a good team. hustle rebounds and looseballs arent enough when defensivly you are a seive and offensively you are incompetent

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-15-2009 at 04:12 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-15-2009 at 04:06 AM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:14 AM   #30
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
kidd may be smart but hes entirely too slow to contribute to a winning team. he looks great in flashes but those are few and far bwetween and tend to corolate to games where he feels no defensive pressure. when he gets pressured he either a) sits out at the top of the arc and does nothing or b) drives and gets stripped or shut down. kidd was supposed to be the creator we needed but he just cant penetrate to get the defense on its toes.

as for his defense- it is way overrated. in a sloppier game he is a magnet for loose balls but his on-the-man defense is attrocious
The problem is that everyone sucks these days minus Dirk and Terry. And those two can't play defense. So you're left with a team that really is just relying on the hot jump shooting of two players to win games. Now grant it, Terry and Dirk are very good at what they do but living by the jump shot with nothing else really just isn't a serious recipe for success. Not when you don't have an offense post-presence, no attempt to get easy baskets and team that is "drive to the basket" retarded. And especially not when the team is just simply unable to play the type of defense Carlisle requires. I've been thinking for a while that we simply just don't have enough naturally gifted defensive players to keep playing it at a high level. And those that can play defense are offset by their serious lack of offensive abilities. Damp, Wright, George, Kidd, Diop.....

Kidd's regression was going to come sooner or later. The whole team looks uncoordinated though and has for a while. That onus, for me, is on the coaching staff.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:19 AM   #31
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

I am pleased to see that other people are noticing Kidd's defensive deficencies. I said a while back that I have seen him burned by a lot of PGs and many disagreed. After the recent stretch, it's quite obvious. Yes, as EL says, in some sloppy games against bad opposition his intelligence allows him to steal and strip the basketball away from other players, play the passing routes, but against well organized teams he is lost.

As for his offense, well NO wasn't even attempting to defend him a lot of the time so there you go. Kidd is a complete shell of what he was, someone that will do a nice play here or there but in the complete picture of the game gives you very little.

This was one of the most baffling trades to be ever made at the time, and it looks even worse now, but I don't want to continue speaking about that.

Try to do the Felton deal, see if Kidd can bring somone like Butler here, and if Josh gives us Bargnani, this team get a total remake which I think gives us quite a few new pieces to compete. Bargnani is playing very well lately though, i don't see Toronto giving him up, and I don't know that Dallas is the best place for him. His problem in Toronto is not his inconsistency, it's that he has to play out of position because of Bosh. The same problem would exist here with Dirk, at least for the near future.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #32
MainEv3nt

MainEv3nt will become famous soon enoughMainEv3nt will become famous soon enough

im getting tired of kidd to.

imma build a time machine an go get devin harris back damnit.

all jokes aside, who could we actually get for kidd lol. nobody is gonna give up a young pg for him. why would they? they seen we gave up a young pg up for kidd an it didnt do nuffin for us.

when det was giving up billups, we shoulda went after him.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #33
Nowitzkizer

Nowitzkizer is on a distinguished road

I like Kidd for Iverson straight up
We need a talented scorer, they need a playmaker.
Nowitzkizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #34
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crippler
Look, many of you are going to be disappointed in Kidd, that's all I am saying. He is not what this team needed. For every positive that he brings that harris did not have, there seems to be a glaring weakness as well. They are completely different players, but Devin's ability in Avery's stagnant offensive sets to at least make something out of nothing by getting to the rim, coupled with his ability to stay in front of the great Western PGs defensively, seems to me a better fit for this Maverick team as its currently constructed.

This is what I posted immediately after we made the trade for Kidd (2/20/2008). I was right even though I was called an idiot and told to STFU by most people on this board.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #35
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsRule41 View Post
Let's trade our 1st round pick for Chris Paul.
LOL~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #36
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

kidd= over-the-hill role player. a very good role player, but a role player nonetheless.

he's eddie najera with handles....

....ok, maybe a little more than that but much too much is made of his "future hall of famer" status as if that translates automatically into present day superstar. He's an old guy on the tail end of his career who shows flashes of his former self -- it's what old players do.

the problem with the trade was the mavericks gave up something they needed (a one man fast break, someone who could get to the line in half court sets) for something they had plenty of (guys that can't shoot, can't drive, but can rebound a little).
Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 AM   #37
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend View Post
I love the guy, and when he's playing like he's interested he does so many amazing little things on the floor...

But this team is never going to win with him running point. He does all these amazing little things, but he's useless when it comes to the big thing POINTS.

The guy is just more an more pathetic on offense as things go on. He's not even a good passer on the offensive end unless they're on a break. It's so frustrating and irritating to watch him out there. It's really driving me nuts.

The thing is I think that there is a team out there that could win a championship with Kidd. Unfortunately this isn't that team. For Kidd to work he needs to be on a team loaded with offensive talent. He needs four other players on the floor with him who are really gifted offensively and can take advantage of what he brings while at the same time making up for the fact that he's an offensive failure. Put Kidd on Phoenix for instance, and you win a championship. On Dallas... dead end.

Dallas has only two players like that on the entire team. Dirk & Jet. It will never, ever work with Kidd. NEVER.

Ironically, the kind of PG Dallas needs is someone like Devin Harris.

Water under the bridge though. Bottom line Kidd needs to be gone. He does a lot of amazing things, but none of those amazing things are right for this team.
It is clear now, Kidd is not the right choice for the make-up of this team. He lacks offense and putting pressure on the defense in the half court setting for this team. We dont have the horses to run with him, and Avery was right to slow down the pace to make the Mavs more efficient. So, I guess Avery was right about something for a change.

We cant play 3 on 5 on offense and expect to beat the Lakers, Celtics, SA, Utah, Cavs, Nuggets, Suns, Rockets, Hornets type of teams. Kidd needs to be able to run at full speed in order for him to have the most impact. I think the NBA is changing right b4 our eyes and the game is starting to slow back down to half court settings. Even the Suns have slowed it down a bit and decided that you have better defensive transition at a bit slower pace.

The only guard left that just wants to run all day that is effective is Devin, and we all know how far you are going to get with running all day, It will get you up to 7th place in the East. Thats about it. Thats the problem with Devin, is that when the game slows down, decision making and effectiveness for him goes down. There is no balance, so Devin is not the right fit either here in Dallas, BUT it is clear now that he is a better fit than Kidd.

Where do we go? I dont have the answer, but neither Kidd or Devin is our answer. Should we trade Kidd right now? I dont think so, because I dont think we would get anything in return, other than more long term salary. So we might as well keep him, and see if we can get our starting PG for next season, and maybe sign Kidd on the cheap to be a back-up and let him retire here and mentor the new starting guard. If this happens then Barea needs to go. We dont need 4 PG on a team, because we can always have Jet at PG as well, so a new starting PG, Kidd and Jet should be more than enough for our PG rotation. IMO
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:40 AM   #38
Silk Smoov
Banned

Silk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to beholdSilk Smoov is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The problem is that everyone sucks these days minus Dirk and Terry. And those two can't play defense. So you're left with a team that really is just relying on the hot jump shooting of two players to win games. Now grant it, Terry and Dirk are very good at what they do but living by the jump shot with nothing else really just isn't a serious recipe for success. Not when you don't have an offense post-presence, no attempt to get easy baskets and team that is "drive to the basket" retarded. And especially not when the team is just simply unable to play the type of defense Carlisle requires. I've been thinking for a while that we simply just don't have enough naturally gifted defensive players to keep playing it at a high level. And those that can play defense are offset by their serious lack of offensive abilities. Damp, Wright, George, Kidd, Diop.....

Kidd's regression was going to come sooner or later. The whole team looks uncoordinated though and has for a while. That onus, for me, is on the coaching staff.
I agree with everything you said except for the Carlisle bit. I said it earlier this year, but Carlisle really does remind me of Avery. I think some of the problems is on Carlisle and his player rotations, and the way he treats his young players. I question so much that Carlisle does, that I now see why nobody picked him up for an entire year. If I look at the roster, I dont see a single player that his growing with the help of Carlisle. It is up to a coach to bring the best out of his players. You cant just let a player do whatever and expect great results. If that was the case, then why even have a coach?

Lets be honest, we have 5 mistakes or bad fits for this current roster:

1. Kidd
2. Carlisle
3. Diop
4. Howard
5. Barea (Hate to put him here, but his size is more of a problem than what he brings)
Silk Smoov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #39
erdubya

erdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really niceerdubya is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janett_Reno View Post
I think in the long run, if you try to get player's to match Kidd's style of play it will be alot of moving going on or you can get a pg that matches the style most of our players play.

Gerald Green is a big mystery to me as i thought maybe he could give Kidd some dunks at the basket like Carter. We are caught in between a rock and hard place right now. I really feel like Cuban will do something even if it is right or wrong. I feel he is smart enough to not give players away like Memphis did with Gasol but i feel it is going to be some moving going on soon but we will have to see who they are. I am guessing Diop, Stack and Howard but down deep i wonder about Kidd, if they stick it out with him. It is exploiting us bad because Kidd needs a center or pf in half court he can dump it into(paint) or he needs to make them respect him outside, with his shot.

The driving day's in half court and finishing at the basket is hard now. Look at Stackhouse, in the end he stopped driving and only shot. That happens in the final day's, you are just a shooter. If we do not have dump down guys in the paint in half court for him, he can't make the long outside shot, the only other option is full court running. Who knows, Cuban may involve something with Kidd.
Man, yall are missing the 2nd part of the equation to a successful pass. If players aren't moving without the ball or getting to those sweetspots without the ball, then guess what... the pass won't work. Kidd or any PG with any amount of control will be reluctant to throw the pass to a non-open player.

If players start back cutting, curling, all those things you see efficient offenses do to get players open then Kidd, and thus the half-court offense will work. All the movement you see these days without the ball is mostly on the perimeter...

erdubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #40
SirMyztiq

SirMyztiq is on a distinguished road

Kidd isn't the problem. Kidd DOESN'T need to score. We need the players around him to score. Looking back at the Kidd trade now doesn't do it justice. Sure, we can all look back and say "damn, I wish I hadn't done that"

What makes anybody so sure that Devin Harris would be what he is in NJ? He wasn't showing it here so I would of traded him too. Kidd is a force whether he scores or not, I highly doubt teams don't respect his 3-point range now that he drops them in like clockwork. The problem is that Jet and Dirk need help. Did anybody notice the last few games? Teams double Dirk and Jet ALL THE TIME and dare others to take charge. Nobody has yet.

J'Ho looked like he was coming back to good form before his most recent injury. I've read that he might be back for the Jazz game Saturday. Let's see how we do then.

We gotta go out there and hit them in the mouth!
SirMyztiq is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cinemablendbasketballguru, delusional psychosis, i love carpet, in before the fail, josh howard smokes both, lots of tags, loud noises!, shake and bake, smoke crack instead, smoke weed, thread diarrhea, thread worthy?