Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-10-2003, 12:13 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mavs say Finley is staying put

I didn't see this posted. If it is, let me know and I'll delete this thread.

Anyone find it interesting that Nelson pulled Finley aside in the morning and said they were not interested in trading him, but that night a rumor starts flying around?

Mavs say Finley is staying put
Coach assures veteran team not shopping him; Donnie likes this team

Sunday, November 9, 2003
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Don Nelson pulled Michael Finley aside on Saturday morning before the Mavericks' shootaround in San Antonio. He wanted to clear the air of some speculation that was making the rounds.

"I told him we're not interested in trading him, no matter what he might be hearing," Nelson said.

Less than 10 hours later, Finley was the subject of a trade rumor that had its genesis more than three months ago and was rekindled Saturday in Portland and circulated at the SBC Center in San Antonio before the Mavericks finished their win over the Spurs.

Never mind that Finley's contract – worth more than $62 million over the four seasons after this one – also could make dealing the 6-7 swingman and cornerstone to the franchise's turnaround difficult, even if the Mavericks were inclined to do so.

There was no validity to the report that the Mavericks were dealing Finley and Antawn Jamison to the Trail Blazers for Rasheed Wallace and Bonzi Wells.

"Not one ounce of truth," Mavs president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said. "That was completely out of the blue."

The conjecture apparently was born out of conversations the Mavericks had with Portland in August, when Nick Van Exel still was with the team and the Mavericks were considering acquiring Arvydas Sabonis. This rumor clearly had mold on it.

So when the rumors were stomped out, the next order of business for the Mavericks' brass was to reassure players that they should not be walking on eggshells these days. There is no revolving door at the entrance to the Mavericks' locker room.

"To shake this thing up again wouldn't be the right thing to do," Donnie Nelson said. "Barring a no-brainer – and those just don't come along very often – the last thing we need right now is more change. We love the guys we have.

"Yes, we're vulnerable right now because we haven't developed chemistry yet. But we sit down with our guys and make sure they are all on the same page. And everybody likes where this team is headed. Everybody in the locker room likes the teammates they're sitting next to."

But after two major trades in the span of two months that seriously altered the look of the team, it would be human nature if players wondered who would be next to be packing their bags.

As Jamison said while dressing into a neatly tailored bronze suit after Saturday's game: "It's business," he said. "You gotta do what you gotta do."

The problem the Mavericks have to avoid is allowing the looming specter of another trade – real or imagined – to infiltrate their thoughts. Any player can be traded. And the Mavericks obviously are not afraid to pull the trigger.

But just because there were two rapid-fire trades and they still are in the market for a quality big man doesn't mean something is always in the works.

Two of the team captains, Dirk Nowitzki and Steve Nash, said they have not noticed the situation causing problems in the locker room. Nash, however, said he could understand how the issue might arise.

"I haven't seen any evidence of problems yet," he said. "Whether there are some guys who might wonder about it, I'm sure that's a possibility. But it hasn't been an issue with the team yet."

Said Nowitzki: "I think our problems have all been on the court so far, trying to get used to each other. I haven't heard anything about guys being worried about trades."

Owner Mark Cuban and Donnie Nelson have added two talented, versatile players to the squad in Jamison and Antoine Walker without disturbing the Big Three of Nash, Finley and Nowitzki.

That has created a situation where the Mavericks have elite-level players both in the starting lineup and coming off the bench.

Right now, rather than concerns about future player movement, the bigger worry is learning to fit all the pieces together.

As Donnie Nelson said: "If we had come off this road trip 2-1 instead of 1-2, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation. But that's the way basketball is. Right now, our only concern is to focus on everybody trying to bring whatever they can to the table."

And for now, that requires players to believe that their future is with the Mavericks.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:19 AM   #2
Jamisonite
Golden Member

Jamisonite is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Mavs say Finley is staying put

that makes me sleep a little easier
Old 11-10-2003, 12:26 AM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Mavs say Finley is staying put

i have a feeling that they will be shopping at least one player before the trade dealine though...i simply don't think they'll click as nellie had planned.

also, their comments could mean that they simply tried to make a trade with Portland but were unable to come to terms... So, of course they'd come back and say that the players involved were never on the market.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 12:57 AM   #4
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The might still be talking to the trailblazers but it might be involving different players. Remember the Raef Lafrentz and Mike Finley rumor to GS for Dampier, Jamison and Richardson. Of course Jamison, Welsch, and Fortson came the mavs way so the rumor wasn't that far off.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:05 AM   #5
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Did they pull Jamison aside? ..Walker? No. Atleast no enlightening information has been provided to thoroughly inform that they werent. Leaving much possibility for a trade to still occur ...a trade not involving finley, ofcourse.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:32 AM   #6
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Mavs say Finley is staying put

These trades were excellent trades, and had to be done (these trades as in the walker/jamison trades). They're not trades that you would expect, an opportunity appeared and they had to pull the trigger, but trades like these are unlikely, IMO. So right now, I think Cuban and Nellie are doing the right thing by assuring players they won't be leaving the mavs any time soon through trades. I think a reputation to trade at will hurts the chances to get any one through free agency, and can really become a mental factor of players that come here even through trades. There's gotta be some stability for players to feel comfortable. Of course if an extraordinary opportunity appears to address the main needs of this team, then a trade should be done, however, if it doesn't address any issues, then why do it? That'd be trading just to trade.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:28 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

i think Finley Fans everywhere can breath a sigh of relief about the security of their guy.....

UNTIL THE DEADLINE[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

AND MURPH, I WOULD'NT BE TOO SURPRISED TO SEE TWO OF THE BIG FIVE GO (WALKER\FINLEY OR JAMISON\FINLEY). IF they want to trade to Fin, this season's deadline will be the year that they can get maxumum value for him....i see his star fading over the next few years. If you want to dump that $ and still get value for Fin, this has to be the year

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:29 AM   #8
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
i think Finley Fans everywhere can breath a sigh of relief about the security of their guy.....
I think I can speak for the majority of Finley fans when I say that we wish this trade had gone through. Dallas fans don't appreciate Finley - Portland fans would.

Finley deserves better than what he gets in Dallas.
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:41 AM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
I think I can speak for the majority of Finley fans when I say that we wish this trade had gone through. Dallas fans don't appreciate Finley - Portland fans would.

Finley deserves better than what he gets in Dallas.
I think I can agree with this statement...But I would also say that newer Dallas fans CAN'T appreciate Fin they the way he deserves because he can not be the player here that he could someshere else....but don't mistake that as not loving him, cuz Fin is pretty beloved around here by all who remember him standing tall and giving his all every night in the dark days of the previous seasons...

I'd still trade him in a second though...if the team would benefit...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-10-2003, 10:45 AM   #10
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by: [b]Max Power Dallas fans don't appreciate Finley - Portland fans would.

I'm not sure that Portland fans have not been beaten so numb over the last few seasons that actually would appricate Fin...maybe they still have an actual heartbeat...if so, they would make him King of Portland the second he steped off the plane[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2003, 10:49 AM   #11
Max Power
Banned

Max Power is on a distinguished road

The Oregonian
John Canzano
If Wallace wants to go, get it done

11/09/03

Portland's official candlelight trade vigil began Saturday, kicked off in the most unlikely corner of the Trail Blazers' locker room.

Rasheed Wallace had barely digested the Blazers' 90-83 victory over Atlanta.

He had just pulled on a pair of jeans and an Oakland Raiders replica jersey.

And here he was, baring his soul.

"I don't give a (expletive) about no trade rumors," he said. "As long as somebody CTC, at the end of the day I'm with them."

CTC?

"For all you that don't know what CTC means, that's 'Cut The Check,' " Wallace said.

Ahhh, you can almost hear Cuba Gooding Jr. shouting it from the locker-room showers now.

This expression of loyalty for his checking account was ignited when Wallace was asked about a rumored deal that apparently had the Blazers sending Wallace and Bonzi Wells to Dallas for Michael Finley and Antawn Jamison.

Wallace apparently knows there are banks in Texas.

Probably really big ones.

So, I guess that's plenty of loyalty for him.

Blazers general manager John Nash and president Steve Patterson say no such deal is on the table. To Nash and Patterson, I say, get on the phone early today, call the Mavericks and see if you can make it happen.

The salary exchange for both teams would be a virtual wash. The talent exchange would be acceptable for both sides. And it's no secret that Mavericks coach Don Nelson is among those left who covet Wallace, a free agent at the end of the season.

What we've suspected all along was finally revealed: Wallace's loyalty doesn't extend to the city he plays in or even the teammate who dresses beside him. Maybe Wallace's heart has been hardened by the boos he hears when he's introduced at the Rose Garden. Or maybe he never cared about anything more than the $17 million he'll make this season.

"I just go out there and play," Wallace said. "Again, somebody just CTC."

On the bright side, it finally appears that the Blazers are communicating. And that they're on the same page.

N either Nash nor Patterson nor Wells nor Wallace nor coach Maurice Cheeks stood up, stomped a foot and said there was no way this deal would be acceptable. In fact, all parties have probably joined fans in silently imagining how wonderful things can be when the scenery changes.

Cheeks deserves this trade just as much as fans do.

The Mavericks and Blazers engaged in trade talks in the offseason, with Wallace being the player Dallas wanted most. Portland backed out, however, when the Mavericks said that Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki were untouchable.

That was before Dallas landed Jamison, a good character who would look pretty imposing right about now playing alongside forward Zach Randolph.

But before we get ahead of ourselves, keep in mind, this is a rumor, right? Right?

"That deal isn't on the table right now," Nash said.

So why not call Dallas today and put it on the table?

It's the roster makeover fans have been waiting for. It sets the franchise free from "Dirty 30" and the guard dubbed "Goldfinger" by clever fans. And it certainly would result in a sharp attendance spike at the Rose Garden.

What we're really talking about here is hope.

Hope for the future of the franchise. Hope for the remainder of the season. A reason, any reason, to believe this season is headed somewhere better.

Wallace started the vigil. It will continue until he's gone.

The rumor, shot down by Dallas owner Mark Cuban as "bull," spread through the Rose Garden like wildfire Saturday.

And nobody in the 7,000 empty seats objected either.

John Canzano: 503-294-5065; johncanzano@aol.com
Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 10:54 AM   #12
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Max Power

And here he was, baring his soul.

"I don't give a (expletive) about no trade rumors," he said. "As long as somebody CTC, at the end of the day I'm with them."
What a great quote, such a gentleman, and who wouldn't want such a classy guy on their team?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2003, 12:35 PM   #13
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

The only way the Mavs make that trade is Walker/Fin for those two punks. I love what Wallace could bring to our team, but you don't trade 2 very talented players that are top notch citizens, for 2 very talented punks. Remember, they are the ones that need to get rid of the bad seeds so we should be in a position of strength. Also, as bad as Portland needs to move those two bums and patterson, they won't take on that much salary to do it. Walker having 1 at most 2 years is better for them even though he is seen to be a punk also, at least he does not get pulled over and stripped searched every road trip. I say, if this team is not hitting on all cylinders by December, you do a Fin/Walker/Tariq??? for Wallace/Wells/Patterson. Portland would be stupid to not do that deal given their fans antipathy and although we take on a lot of potential cancers, we could afford to cut Wells and Patterson and let Wallace walk at the end of the year if it all falls apart, though I'm sure we could move at least Wells and S&T Wallace.

I think Nash/Wells/Jamison/Dirk/Wallace would be better than Nash/Fin/Jamison/Walker/Dirk, but would it really be worth it. Lets just wait a while to see how it goes. These types of deals can go down anytime before the deadline.

Stressboy

Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 01:18 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Stressboy
The only way the Mavs make that trade is Walker/Fin for those two punks. I love what Wallace could bring to our team, but you don't trade 2 very talented players that are top notch citizens, for 2 very talented punks. Remember, they are the ones that need to get rid of the bad seeds so we should be in a position of strength. Also, as bad as Portland needs to move those two bums and patterson, they won't take on that much salary to do it. Walker having 1 at most 2 years is better for them even though he is seen to be a punk also, at least he does not get pulled over and stripped searched every road trip. I say, if this team is not hitting on all cylinders by December, you do a Fin/Walker/Tariq??? for Wallace/Wells/Patterson. Portland would be stupid to not do that deal given their fans antipathy and although we take on a lot of potential cancers, we could afford to cut Wells and Patterson and let Wallace walk at the end of the year if it all falls apart, though I'm sure we could move at least Wells and S&T Wallace.

I think Nash/Wells/Jamison/Dirk/Wallace would be better than Nash/Fin/Jamison/Walker/Dirk, but would it really be worth it. Lets just wait a while to see how it goes. These types of deals can go down anytime before the deadline.

Stressboy
Stress, you do make the trade if you believe it gives you a ring...or a better shot at one(or many)....

what will Nelson think, that is all that matters.

Old 11-10-2003, 03:58 PM   #15
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Wouldn't consider trading more than Fin and Walker for any less than Zach Randolph and Wallace.

No Wells. No Patterson.

Even then, I'm not sure about the deal.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:15 PM   #16
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Don't trade Finley for those future cons. I can't stand Wallace & Wells. They play ball real well, that is when they're not getting T'd up or thrown out of games.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Don't trade Finley for those future cons. I can't stand Wallace & Wells. They play ball real well, that is when they're not getting T'd up or thrown out of games.
King,
that would be Nellie's concern, and how quickly do we forget NVE reputation as a bad boy....I think Nellie is one of the best salesmen in the game. He can make the emotions fit....but he cannot force chemistry...the better question is would they have the chemistry to play together?...oh, wait..we are asking that one right now![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2003, 06:07 PM   #18
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

This is good, we need the team to saty how we have it for now, a trade would just cause more jelling to take place. We shouldn't trade Finley... at least for now.
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:15 PM   #19
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Sike,

I agree, but I want to give this little experiment a go. Also, if we trade any of the new guys right now, anyone else coming in will feel like a part timer and we don't need that right now. We probably need to stand pat this year unless we make a trade for a 2nd backup center along the way.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 06:31 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
We probably need to stand pat this year unless we make a trade for a 2nd backup center along the way.

Stressboy
At this point, I tend to agree with you.

It's much more likely that they use lesser pieces to try and acquire a second center (or third, if you count Fortson or Najera) than it is for them to deal either Antoine.

As for Finley, I just don't think Cuban would trade him. I could be wrong, but I really doubt it.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:54 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Sike,

I agree, but I want to give this little experiment a go. Also, if we trade any of the new guys right now, anyone else coming in will feel like a part timer and we don't need that right now. We probably need to stand pat this year unless we make a trade for a 2nd backup center along the way.

Stressboy

there is wisdom in your words grasshopper...keep watching the grass blow in the wind and one day you'll achieve the bliss that can only come from wasting your life watching grass....

good point Stress...maybe, I still think if the deal is there that drastically improves your team you do the deal!...plus, I've got this feeling that this mix of talet(great though it is) will never be what we originally hoped...we'll see!