Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 PM   #81
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

JR SMith=yes. I have talked about him starting here before, he's young and if given a role he could flourish under Carlisle, who seems to be pretty engaging.
I think the reason he has jacked up so many shots is because Denver has not utilized him nor played him the minutes they should have. IF we can't get Maggette for terry +bench player, then I would quickly move to go after that kid!!
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #82
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If you can convince him that there's more to basketball than scoring, then I would want him... only for the right price.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:52 PM   #83
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

From what I've read in Denver, they have every intention to match whatever offer is thrown at him. They know he is talented and they'll keep him and deal with the headaches. Does he want to stay in Denver? More than likely that is a no, but that's where the money is for him. I would almost venture to say it'll be like Peitrus where he is resigned for one year and then able to be unrestricted next offseason.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 06-11-2008 at 11:08 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 PM   #84
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
If you can convince him that there's more to basketball than scoring, then I would want him... only for the right price.
They get the feeling that the price or his value is well over the MLE.
Old 06-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #85
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

If we get a legitimate #2 to play with Dirk/Kidd, I rather have someone like Pietrus over JR because of the intangibles alone.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #86
bgarrett
Banned

bgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the roughbgarrett is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
From what I've read in Denver, they have every intention to match whatever offer is thrown at him. They know he is talented and they'll keep him and deal with the headaches. Does he want to stain Denver? More than likely that is a no, but that's where the money is for him. I would almost venture to say it'll be like Peitrus where he is resigned for one year and then able to be unrestricted next offseason.

How is he gonna stain Denver?
Old 06-11-2008, 11:08 PM   #87
BGMaverick9
Guru

Corrected for you. But with the headaches he causes, I'm sure he could find a way...
Old 06-12-2008, 04:40 AM   #88
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Magic, Dooling look ahead to free agency
Tim Povtak | Sentinel Staff Writer 10:45 PM EDT, June 11, 2008

His heart and his home are in Orlando, but Keyon Dooling could be leaving both behind next season.

Dooling is one of six Magic players who will become unrestricted free agents July 1, but also the one they would least like to lose.

Dooling, 28, averaged just 8.1 points in 18.5 minutes last season -- his third in Orlando -- but his defensive spark and his ability to play both backcourt positions gave Coach Stan Van Gundy more roster flexibility, helping the Magic to their best finish in 12 years.

"I'm sure there will be other teams looking at him closely this summer," said Magic General Manager Otis Smith. "We like him. We'd like to keep him, but that said, he is unrestricted. You like a guy, but at what number?"

Dooling said earlier this week that he would love to re-sign with the Magic, but he also was clear that the business of basketball could take him elsewhere next season and beyond, depending on who wants him the most.

"There is a personal side to this, and a business side. I've enjoyed Orlando. It's a great place to raise a family, but when the stakes are this high, you have to consider all options," he said. "You play this game to win a championship, but it's also our livelihood. This is a way you can set up your family for generations."

Dooling, a 6-foot-3 guard with eight years of NBA experience, made $3.6 million last season. He is expecting a raise in salary, but how much will depend on how serious, and how many, suitors there are.

"Keyon is going to generate great interest from a number of teams because of his versatility as a combo guard," predicted Rob Pelinka, Dooling's agent. "In many ways, he's like a Swiss Army knife. He can do a lot of things well."

Neither Dooling nor Pelinka would speculate on potential contract offers, but there are several teams that are expected to show interest, including the Miami Heat, the Dallas Mavericks and the Utah Jazz.

"I can't speculate on what might happen," Dooling said. "But there is definitely interest out there. When a team has success like we did, your value goes up."

Teams can start negotiating with free agents on July 1, which is in the middle of Dooling's annual summer basketball camp for kids, which will be held this year at Warner Southern College in Lake Wales.

"I use basketball as a platform to teach life lessons," he said. "I preach discipline, dedication, hard work -- things that got me to this point."

Link

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #89
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

dooling isnt bad, but hes a little small for shooting guard, wouldnt mind him as a backup for both positions of 1 and 2, we already have jet to do that though, we need a guy with size, thats why we have problems guarding anybody with a legit 2 and 3 positions, josh cant guard two people at the same time and stack just cant stay in front of people anymore...if we trade jet, id be all for bringin in dooling
chosen_one8976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:41 PM   #90
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one8976
dooling isnt bad, but hes a little small for shooting guard, wouldnt mind him as a backup for both positions of 1 and 2, we already have jet to do that though, we need a guy with size, thats why we have problems guarding anybody with a legit 2 and 3 positions, josh cant guard two people at the same time and stack just cant stay in front of people anymore...if we trade jet, id be all for bringin in dooling
He isn't a SG, he's a PG.
This is the hoopshype "chart" on him
Great athlete... Very long... Could develop into a pretty good defensive player... Not a good shooter... Not a great playmaker... Makes wrong decisions very often.

um....NEXT!!
Old 06-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #91
chosen_one8976

chosen_one8976 will become famous soon enoughchosen_one8976 will become famous soon enough

he plays both, i watched a few magic games this season. he subbed in for point and shooting so he can play both...he more of a scoring guard than a creator, but hes too small to be a 2, so hes stuck as a tweener
Old 06-12-2008, 06:54 PM   #92
BGMaverick9
Guru

so a poor man's Jet...
Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #93
chosen_one8976

exactly...that is why the mavs would only think about signing him if we trade jet
Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #94
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one8976
exactly...that is why the mavs would only think about signing him if we trade jet
i could be wrong, but i think the point that they are trying to make is that Jet just doesnt fit well into an offensive system. hes a shooting guard in a point guards body. we need size, not like what was already mentioned- a poor man's Jet
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #95
bgarrett
Banned

Either way you look at it, if JET were traded hopefully it would be for a starting SG, therefor Dooling is a great backup for either position!
Old 06-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #96
chosen_one8976

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett
Either way you look at it, if JET were traded hopefully it would be for a starting SG, therefor Dooling is a great backup for either position!
exactly
Old 06-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #97
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think he would make a good backup for either of them. If jet cant play backup to kidd or whoever is playing shooting guard, how the hell is Dooling suppossed to do it?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #98
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Smith is probably the only starting caliber 2 guard we could realistically get without a trade. CJ Miles is a little unproven, and I dont' see how his addition, taken alone, would get us out of the first round next season. On the other hand, I think Smith does have that potential.

I would also add that the Mavs NEED to get a second playmaker on the court. Someone who can handle the ball late in the game b/c we know Kidd can't shoot. And preferably that person would come from the 2 spot.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.

Last edited by bcrav4; 06-15-2008 at 12:35 PM.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:58 PM   #99
bgarrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001
I dont think he would make a good backup for either of them. If jet cant play backup to kidd or whoever is playing shooting guard, how the hell is Dooling suppossed to do it?

What? JET has done more than a fine job as a backup!! If you get a starting SG for the BACKUP JET and another bench player, Dooliong is fine as a backup PG/SG!
Old 06-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #100
bgarrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrav4
Smith is probably the only starting caliber 2 guard we could realistically get without a trade. CJ Miles is a little unproven, and I dont' see how his addition, taken alone, would get us out of the first round next season. On the other hand, I think Smith does have that potential.

I would also add that the Mavs NEED to get a second playmaker on the court. Someone who can handle the ball late in the game b/c we know Kidd can't shoot. And preferably that person would come from the 2 spot.
I agree with all of it... The first two guys I would go after is JR SMith, and Maggette, after that CJMiles.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:34 PM   #101
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgarrett
I agree with all of it... The first two guys I would go after is JR SMith, and Maggette, after that CJMiles.
Really, the first guy on the list you go after is JR Smith?

The guy is OK, but on level three or four down.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #102
bgarrett
Banned

Three or four downfrom what?
No way, besides I said Smith and Maggette! Level three or four down from what available/possible pickups, or something that has no chance dreamlist?
Old 06-15-2008, 05:37 PM   #103
BGMaverick9
Guru

JR Smith is again out of the price range but a SnT seems more likely with them because they are looking to change the makeup of the roster.

They're also probably looking to move Camby as well.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #104
chosen_one8976

camby isnt going to come cheap, though i think he is one hell of a center...we would definitely have to give up jho, jet, damp, and probably bass to get smith and camby...still i would think about it, cause it would fill the two positions we have problems with...hey we might even could get them to throw their first round pick in too, then fill in the small forward pos, hell why dont we just go after melo too lol
Old 06-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #105
BGMaverick9
Guru

Oh, I agree Camby isn't going to be cheap. But he is probably one of the easier pieces to move and make sense, vs Melo or AI. Him and Smith are the pieces that could move.
I don't think you can get both in one swoop, but one of them you could.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:49 PM   #106
chosen_one8976

fine with me...i like em both, if we could get one of them, the mavs would be immensely better
Old 06-15-2008, 08:20 PM   #107
bgarrett
Banned

I've been playing with J O'neal as my starting center on nbalive08 and it has me thinking more about what we would have to move to get him.? Any suggestions; realistic ones? Obviously not moving Kidd or Dirk... If so could it be worth it?
Old 06-15-2008, 08:31 PM   #108
BGMaverick9
Guru

If it's the right pieces, sure it is...just not sure what the right combo would be for both sides to be happy. Outside of Dirk and Kidd, the rest are in play to trade for him. But he's still a risk.

Did he get hurt a lot in the games you played nba live 08? If not...that game totally lacks realism.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:40 PM   #109
bgarrett
Banned

haha i have injuries off man
Old 06-15-2008, 09:19 PM   #110
BGMaverick9
Guru

Can we do that in the real NBA? B/c if so, then that trade sounds MIIIIIIGHTY promising.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #111
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Is this true or is this an old article?? I just dont remember hearing about it, and just ran across it. I think we should def. offer him something because the Ws will have a tough time resigning everyone.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...with_warriors/

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #112
bgarrett
Banned

Yes! I think he is underrated by a lot of folks. He is ready, but is he worth MLE? Isn't that why he is opting out? Not sure but I would make some kind of run at him! He has potential, and seems to have a decent head on his shoulders.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:57 PM   #113
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

I think we should take a look at Gerald Green, hes another guy with a lot of potential.

Plus it wouldn't hurt for Kidd to have someone to throw an alley oop to.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:50 AM   #114
thewillis12

thewillis12 is on a distinguished road

any chance we can get reshawn terry? i remember watching him in the summer league and wondered why we didtn give him a chance....
thewillis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:12 AM   #115
BGMaverick9
Guru

For Azubuike, reading up on him most people think he is a SF and not a SG. That would cause more problems with Josh being the SF.

His issues involve foot speed on defense, that's why he guards the bigger swing players, to help keep up. He does sound like Josh in the sense that there is a potential case for a ball-stopper. He lacks the passing ability and his handles aren't that great.

There are positives though. He is lively on the boards and isn't really afraid to muscle up on people. He is better in an uptempo system and can shoot with some fairly decent range. He has definitely made a name for himself coming through the undrafted route.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:36 AM   #116
chosen_one8976

azubuike is still a young player, his foot speed he wont be able to improve that much, but with more practice and experience his passing and handles will get better...we shuld definitely go after this guy
Old 06-18-2008, 11:31 AM   #117
BGMaverick9
Guru

I wouldn't want to have to deal with TWO players who have issues with passing the ball out. I would want to know that it can be a quicker fix.

My other doubts about his game are less severe. I think he could be a solid guy.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #118
chosen_one8976

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9
I wouldn't want to have to deal with TWO players who have issues with passing the ball out. I would want to know that it can be a quicker fix.

My other doubts about his game are less severe. I think he could be a solid guy.
i feel like i should know this, but whose the other player having problems? and what exactly is the prob?
Old 06-18-2008, 04:49 PM   #119
BGMaverick9
Guru

if we had Azubuike, he would be joining Josh "Ballstopper" Howard.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:28 PM   #120
chosen_one8976

if we could just get josh to focus again...maybe buy him some mj during the off season as a bonus if he does well lol