Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 09-28-2008, 10:26 PM   #121
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

The cowboys defense could stand to learn something from the Bears defense.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:30 PM   #122
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Jason Garrett's play-calling lost the game today...

Too much passing and not enough running led to too many 3-and-outs (or 1-first-down-then-punt drives) and kept our defense on the field waaaay too long! Marion Barber should NEVER have 8 attempts in a game (I don't care if GOD himself is playing D) and Felix Jones had 3 TDs in 3 games but I can't recall seeing him involved in a single offensive play today...

Why did Garrett get pass-happy when we were down by one score with two-and-a-half quarters left to play (at home)??? We adjusted to Washington's game rather than dictating the flow - very Avery-like...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 09-28-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #123
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/ar...all-enoug.html
Quote:
The Cowboys ran 58 offensive plays. They threw it to him 18 times and let Owens run it twice on two end-arounds. Yet when asked if the ball was thrown his way often enough, Owens said: "I would say no. I'm a competitor, and I want the ball.
Bit of old T.O. showing? Kinda selfish on his part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Jason Garrett's play-calling lost the game today...

Too much passing and not enough running led to too many 3-and-outs (or 1-first-down-then-punt drives) and kept our defense on the field waaaay too long! Marion Barber should NEVER have 8 attempts in a game (I don't care if GOD himself is playing D) and Felix Jones has 3 TDs in 3 games but I can't recall seeing him involved in a single offensive play today...

Why did Garrett get pass-happy when we were down by one score with two-and-a-half quarters left to play (at home)??? We adjusted to Washington's game rather than dictating the flow - very Avery-like...
Well, the times they did run it, Barber was getting stuffed. I only remember one play where he broke out for 10+ yardage. But I do agree, they should have attempted at least 10 more rushes than they did.

Last edited by Caseman; 09-28-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:38 PM   #124
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Well, the times they did run it, Barber was getting stuffed.
3.25 yds per carry on 8 attempts is hardly "getting stuffed" - run him 10 more times and one or two of Washington's defenders would be out for the season...

But enjoy your victory - beating the Cowboys in Week 4 is your Super Bowl!

Last edited by Underdog; 09-28-2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:40 PM   #125
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

woooooo hoooo Eagles lose
Old 09-28-2008, 10:42 PM   #126
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
The interception was an absolute killer, but the story of the game to me was Newman. His guy caught both of the early touchdowns, and of course he got burned for the long ball to Moss. He was just flat awful in the first half.

I hate the Redskins. Remember, Flac, no Redskin game is a gimmy.
Why did you have to bring up Flac in a Cowboys thread?

Anyways, the Iggles loss makes this one sting a little less.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #127
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
When the only way you can win a title is if the season is shortened by a strike, you have to take what you can get!

Contact Me
Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #128
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
3.25 yds per carry on 8 attempts is hardly "getting stuffed" - run him 10 more times and one or two of Washington's defenders would be out for the season...

Running Barber was putting us in holes. We'd run it the 1st and 2nd down then we'd have 3rd and long. We'd run it on 1st and we'd get nothing. Remember though Barber had a what? 15 yard run? You take that out and his stats look even more pitiful than it really was. And I look at last season when he put up -1.8 yards a carry and before that put up 40 yards I just think he has problems with the Redskins. You can throw Garrett out there for the loss but fact is we put up 24 points. You can't win putting up 24 points a night than you're not going to have success in this league.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #129
Windmill360
Diamond Member

nvm I reread your sentence.

And we do have more than one running back..

Last edited by Windmill360; 09-28-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Windmill360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #130
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest
Running Barber was putting us in holes. We'd run it the 1st and 2nd down then we'd have 3rd and long. We'd run it on 1st and we'd get nothing. Remember though Barber had a what? 15 yard run? You take that out and his stats look even more pitiful than it really was. And I look at last season when he put up -1.8 yards a carry and before that put up 40 yards I just think he has problems with the Redskins. You can throw Garrett out there for the loss but fact is we put up 24 points. You can't win putting up 24 points a night than you're not going to have success in this league.
Football 101 - Time of Possession:

Washington - 38:09
Dallas - 21:51

(but let's pretend it was the defense's fault for being out on the field so long...)

Old 09-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #131
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Ho-hum, three-and-one. We will keep up that pace.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #132
alby
Guru

I predicted 12-4, so I'm fine with it.

Contact Me
Old 09-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #133
Caseman
Golden Member

Caseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to allCaseman is a name known to all

Quote:
That's a misleading statistic, though a 3.25 yard average isn't even something to be proud of. Take away his one long run and it looks much worse than that. Don't know why you are even arguing with me because I agree he should have gotten more touches than he did.
Quote:
When in doubt, insult your opponent. Stay classy.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #134
alby
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
When in doubt, insult your opponent. Stay classy.
No. That's with Rock Cardwright does.

-------

Call George Teague

Apparently, and I did not see this myself, Redskins reserve running back Rock Cartwright decided to add some spice to the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry after the game.

According to Cowboys defensive tackle Tank Johnson, Cartwright made a point of celebrating on the star after the game. Johnson sounded none too pleased.

"This is how it is - when you win, you win with class. When you lose, you lose with class," Johnson said. "One of their guys, Cartwright, took it upon himself to celebrate on our star. It's the fourth game of the season and no one has accomplished anything but a win. That's just disrespectful and I don't think we'd do that to them and I'm surprised he did that to us. I guess that's just how he is."

This is not the first time the star has been dissed.

The most famous incident came when Terrell Owens was with the 49ers and he celebrated a couple of touchdown catches in a blowout win. Only he paid a price when safety George Teague went after him.

- Mac Engel

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 09-28-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #135
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
No. That's with Rock Cardwright does.

-------

Call George Teague

Apparently, and I did not see this myself, Redskins reserve running back Rock Cartwright decided to add some spice to the Cowboys-Redskins rivalry after the game.

According to Cowboys defensive tackle Tank Johnson, Cartwright made a point of celebrating on the star after the game. Johnson sounded none too pleased.

"This is how it is - when you win, you win with class. When you lose, you lose with class," Johnson said. "One of their guys, Cartwright, took it upon himself to celebrate on our star. It's the fourth game of the season and no one has accomplished anything but a win. That's just disrespectful and I don't think we'd do that to them and I'm surprised he did that to us. I guess that's just how he is."

This is not the first time the star has been dissed.

The most famous incident came when Terrell Owens was with the 49ers and he celebrated a couple of touchdown catches in a blowout win. Only he paid a price when safety George Teague went after him.

- Mac Engel
A reserve running back?! The Redskins should be fined!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:07 PM   #136
alby
Guru

so Underdog doesn't have class, but Rock Cartwright does... nice

Contact Me
Old 09-28-2008, 11:09 PM   #137
Caseman
Golden Member

Quote:
Mountain out of a mole hill..
Old 09-28-2008, 11:20 PM   #138
Underdog

Quote:
Caseman has class...

Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #139
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Classman.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #140
alby
Guru

UD-- I'm not sure why I was even defending you, you made the GDT!

Contact Me

Last edited by alby; 09-28-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:22 PM   #141
Underdog

Last edited by Underdog; 09-28-2008 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:24 PM   #142
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, at least we play the Bengals next, right???
That usually can help cure what's ailing you.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:27 PM   #143
alby
Guru

at 0-4, It's such a scary game. Call me a pessimist but I hate those type of games.

If we win, and the Plaxico-less Giants lose, and the Iggles beat up on the Foreskins...

Cowboys 4-1
Giants 3-1
Eagles 3-2
Redskins 3-2

Contact Me
Old 09-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #144
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
at 0-4, It's such a scary game. Call me a pessimist but I hate those type of games.

If we win, and the Plaxico-less Giants lose, and the Iggles beat up on the Foreskins...

Cowboys 4-1
Giants 3-1
Eagles 3-2
Redskins 3-2
I guess a big question is if Palmer plays. If he doesn't I really wouldn't be worried too much. It's a lot to ask for them to gain chemistry and get in sync on the routes in a week. Palmer in, then you might have a valid reason for concern. I can see it as a trap game, but not any more so than this week.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:18 AM   #145
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I was at the game today with some buddies. Kinda sucks that we drove up the way up there (and paid triple face value for tickets) just to watch us lose, but I guess it was still fun.

FWIW, there were a freaking ton of Redskins fans in there. A couple of those Cooley chants sounded like they were coming from the home crowd.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 AM   #146
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windmill360°
nvm I reread your sentence.

And we do have more than one running back..
True. Felix is a rookie though. I think to run Felix out there we need him to be the change of pace back. We never had a pace to begin with though with Barber.

Quote:
(but let's pretend it was the defense's fault for being out on the field so long...)
Well you're going to be on the field a lot when you give up the deep ball like we did to day. Especially when you face a team that runs the west coast offense who just throws dump passes and run all day. I don't think they wanted to throw the deep ball but they couldn't resist when you see Moss wide open.

That Bengals game scares me. We're going to put up over 30 but i'm not sure if the Bengals won't. Don't they get Chris Henry back? Its bad enough with TJ and Ocho out there. Is Palmer healthy? This secondary is at the point where I fear any team that has a great reciever and the Bengals have two. And it doesn't get any easier with Boldin and Fitzgerald coming in two weeks. One thing is for sure our secondary will definately be tested.

And who the hell is Rock Cartwright? Did he even do something this game?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:21 AM   #147
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub
I was at the game today with some buddies. Kinda sucks that we drove up the way up there (and paid triple face value for tickets) just to watch us lose, but I guess it was still fun.

FWIW, there were a freaking ton of Redskins fans in there. A couple of those Cooley chants sounded like they were coming from the home crowd.
Yea that was frustrating. Especially when I heard that Cooley chant. It almost sounded like we were in the Redskins stadium.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 AM   #148
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Can I bring up one thing? I hate the argument, "if you take away so-and-so's big run, his numbers don't look near as good." Um, if he got the run, he got the run. If you took away all of Barry Sander's longest runs in each game, what would you have? A good running back but nothing special. But you can't do that because you are taking away what made him special. The bottom line is whether he's putting up the ypc.

Plus, we only gave Barber 8 shots total. Not exactly a lot of chances there. And while Barber wasn't tearing it up in the running game, neither was our passing game. So why not try a little harder to establish the run when your passing game isn't lighting the world on fire either.

And heck if you really think Barber isn't suited for the Redskins, why not at least TRY Felix to see if his style works out any better.

Ok, that is all.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:28 AM   #149
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub

Yeah, I have to say I was shocked when I heard how much cheering there was in the stadium after Washington got a crucial first down in that key series in the fourth quarter.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 09-29-2008, 12:33 AM   #150
FINtastic
Diamond Member

Quote:
True. Felix is a rookie though. I think to run Felix out there we need him to be the change of pace back. We never had a pace to begin with though with Barber.
Yeah, but Felix is also a playmaker. One thing I was thinking as the Washington defense was selling out to cover TO, was that we could use a playmaker on offense to strike a jolt of fear in the Washington D. Maybe Felix wouldn't have done much out there, but if he could have made a big play it could have changed things on the offensive end. And it's not like the offense played played a such a high level without him out there that we would have sacrificed much trying to work him in there. But what do I know.

Quote:
And who the hell is Rock Cartwright? Did he even do something this game?
Beats me. Sounds like a good football name though.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
Old 09-29-2008, 12:34 AM   #151
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Yeah, I have to say I was shocked when I heard how much cheering there was in the stadium after Washington got a crucial first down in that key series in the fourth quarter.
Yeah, that was pretty unreal. There were a couple moments where I thought I had misheard a call that I was sure went against us because there was so much cheering, but it turned out I hadn't misheard at all.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 09-29-2008 at 12:35 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:35 AM   #152
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Can I bring up one thing? I hate the argument, "if you take away so-and-so's big run, his numbers don't look near as good." Um, if he got the run, he got the run. If you took away all of Barry Sander's longest runs in each game, what would you have? A good running back but nothing special. But you can't do that because you are taking away what made him special. The bottom line is whether he's putting up the ypc.

Plus, we only gave Barber 8 shots total. Not exactly a lot of chances there. And while Barber wasn't tearing it up in the running game, neither was our passing game. So why not try a little harder to establish the run when your passing game isn't lighting the world on fire either.

And heck if you really think Barber isn't suited for the Redskins, why not at least TRY Felix to see if his style works out any better.

Ok, that is all.
I hate that argument too but its valid in this case. I usually hate it when people bring it up when a back has about 20-30 carries. But with 8 carries you take away that big run and you see had bad the running game really was. But even if you leave the run in there. 3.2 yards a carry is pitiful. Maybe it would've gotten better with more carries. It probably would've. But I understand why Garrett abandoned the run.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:41 AM   #153
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, but Felix is also a playmaker. One thing I was thinking as the Washington defense was selling out to cover TO, was that we could use a playmaker on offense to strike a jolt of fear in the Washington D. Maybe Felix wouldn't have done much out there, but if he could have made a big play it could have changed things on the offensive end. And it's not like the offense played played a such a high level without him out there that we would have sacrificed much trying to work him in there. But what do I know.

Beats me. Sounds like a good football name though.
Yea I can't defend not playing Felix. He should've got some touches. Frankly I think we should go 3 backs deep a game even with Tashard Choice out there. He's more of a Marion type back but I think we should use all backs each game. I'd like to see us use Felix like the Saints use Bush or like the Eagles use Westbrook. Throw him out there in the passing game as well. Just give him touches.

And yea Rock Cartwright it sounds like he's a great player and it sounds like I should know him but I don't even remember seeing him play to day. And he's dancing on the star?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:13 AM   #154
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i don't know where to begin on this game.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #155
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Judge rejects suit aimed at cancelling Redskins' trademark
Updated 7/11/2008 6:00 PM

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Washington Redskins have won the latest round in a 16-year court battle against a group of American Indians, prevailing on a technicality that again skirts the issue of whether the team's nickname is racially offensive.

In a ruling dated June 25 and first circulated Thursday, U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly ruled that the youngest of the seven Native American plaintiffs waited too long after turning 18 to file the lawsuit that attempts to revoke the Redskins trademarks.

The lead plaintiff, Suzan Shown Harjo, said Friday the group will appeal.

"She ruled as we anticipated she would: for the loophole that would allow everyone to avoid the merits of the case," said Harjo, president of the Washington-based Morning Star Institute that advances Native American causes.

Harjo and her fellow plaintiffs have been working since 1992 to have the Redskins trademarks declared invalid. They initially won — the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office panel canceled the trademarks in 1999 — but Kollar-Kotelly overturned the ruling in 2003 in part because the suit was filed decades after the first Redskins trademark was issued in 1967.
FIND MORE STORIES IN: Washington Redskins | Native | Trademark Office | Suzan Shown Harjo

The U.S. Court of Appeals then sent the case back to Kollar-Kotelly, noting that the youngest of the plaintiffs was only 1 year old in 1967 and therefore could not have taken legal action at the time.

But Kollar-Kotelly's new ruling rejects that possible argument. She wrote that the youngest plaintiff turned 18 in 1984 and therefore "waited almost eight years" after coming of age to join the lawsuit.

The judge did not address whether the Redskins name is offensive or racist. She wrote that her decision was not based on the larger issue of "the appropriateness of Native American imagery for team names."

The Redskins declined to comment, referring calls to attorney Bob Raskopf, who has been representing the team and the NFL in the case. Raskopf did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

The case now heads back to the U.S. Court of Appeals. Should it agree that Harjo's group was too old to sue, she has a backup plan: A group of six American Indians ranging in age from 18 to 24 filed essentially the same lawsuit two years ago. That suit is on hold until Harjo's case is resolved.

Harjo therefore anticipates that one day, a court will have to decide once and for all whether the Redskins name is offensive.

"It's so ironic that they would like to get rid of this though the loophole of passage of time, when we're in our 16th year of litigation," Harjo said. "Unbelievable. If this (lawsuit) were a child, we would be preparing the child to go to college."
Sigh, I've been waiting so long for the hammer to drop on this one. Would love to see them have to change their name.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:43 AM   #156
Underdog

Quote:
I hate that argument too but its valid in this case. I usually hate it when people bring it up when a back has about 20-30 carries. But with 8 carries you take away that big run and you see had bad the running game really was. But even if you leave the run in there. 3.2 yards a carry is pitiful. Maybe it would've gotten better with more carries. It probably would've. But I understand why Garrett abandoned the run.
LT had 31 yards at 2.1 yards per carry, down 15-3 going into the 4th (in Oakland...)

If the Chargers had abandoned the run, LT would have never gotten the 75 yards and 2 TDs that gave San Diego the win (he finished with 5.3 yards per carry - only possible with 7 extra carries against a team that shut down the run all day...)

If you took the "big carry" out of the equation, EVERY RB in the league would post a crappy yards-per-carry average!

Also, if Barber abuses the defensive line for an entire half and only averages 3.2 per carry, the worst-case scenario is that Washington's line is too worn-out to pressure Romo's passing game by the 4th quarter... You NEVER abandon the run when you have a punishing RB like the Barbarian!

Last edited by Underdog; 09-29-2008 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 PM   #157
Underdog

Quote:
"It's a reality check," Dallas cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones said. "Truly, I think we needed it as a team. ... It will all work out at the end of the year."
I couldn't agree more...

Old 09-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #158
Underdog

Where's The Run?
Cowboys Refuse To Force Running Game

by Nick Eatman

link

IRVING, Texas - Run the ball and stop the run - the two most basic principles of any football game. Any coach on any level will preach that to his team. Do those two things well and you probably win.

The Cowboys didn't do either. That's why they're no longer undefeated.

The Redskins came into Texas Stadium for the final time, at least in the regular season, and beat up the Cowboys in the trenches. Right on the line of scrimmage - on both sides - Washington was the better team. Therefore, the Redskins were the better team on the scoreboard, where it obviously counts the most.

The fact the Redskins came in here and beat up on the Cowboys isn't that surprising. We all know about this rivalry and how close these division games can be. Washington played the Cowboys close last year here at home and whipped a depleted team in the final game of the season.

So the Redskins' 26-24 win here Sunday afternoon isn't a big shock.

The fact the Cowboys rushed for just 44 yards, including just 26 from their running backs, is a huge surprise.

This is the same football team that plowed through the Packers' defense last week in Lambeau Field, ripping off 217 yards in one game? Well, now they have 261 in two games.

When did Dave Butz and Dexter Manley come back? These Redskins came in here with guys like Demetric Evans, who barely made this Cowboys' team back in the porous 2001-02 years, and shut down the run.

Now, to the Cowboys' defense, they only had 11 carries. Wait, is that really in defense?

Or should we question just why Marion Barber gets only eight carries in the game? Or better yet, why in the world did Felix Jones not get a carry or a pass thrown his way?

When did this game turn into a blowout? At what point, did the Cowboys decide that they just couldn't run it against Washington?

It makes no sense why I tied with Felix Jones on offensive snaps in the game with zero.

Here's a guy who has scored a touchdown in each of his first three games and had a chance to join an exclusive group of only three other players to have scored a touchdown in their first four pro games.

That didn't happen, obviously. But not getting one touch on offense is amazing.

OK, so the Cowboys did have Jones in the lineup for a few plays. And it was clear his presence on the field helped open up the first touchdown pass to Jason Witten. The Cowboys had snuck Jones into the game and lined up him just behind Tony Romo as a fullback. He then motioned out to the left side, where not only did linebacker Marcus Washington follow him, but he pointed it out to safety LaRon Landry, who also flooded that side of the field. In leaving his own spot, Witten darted straight to the end zone for a touchdown, his first of the season.

The Cowboys used Jones in a few more plays, and for the most part, he would motion out to a wide receiver position, where the Redskins would often match him up with a safety.

Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett said Felix Jones was in the game, but the Redskins' stacking the line of scrimmage prevented them from calling more plays for the rookie.

"Sometimes the game takes you certain places," Garrett said. "We tried to get him in on certain things as the game progressed. Yeah, we'd like to get him more opportunities. He's that kind of player. But just as the game went, we weren't able to get him his chances."

But what I don't understand is why Jones just can't get his own series. Even Julius Jones got a few of those last season, and I think we're all in agreement that Felix is a better fit for this offense.

But the Cowboys need to give Felix Jones a designated series where he is THE running back. Not a change-of-pace back. Not a third-down back and not a complimentary back. Not for this one series or two.

He's a playmaker. He's one of the fastest players on the offensive side of the ball and he needs touches.

Just because he may not be an every-down back, doesn't mean he's not an any-down back.

"He has a specific role that he plays," head coach Wade Phillips said of Jones, whose only touches came on four kickoff returns, for a total of just 54 yards. "The plays that he works on, they aren't really come-from-behind plays. They are more normal-game situation plays. We will be more and more comfortable with him as he learns more."

Learns more? He knows sweep left. He knows halfback dive. Again, I didn't remember when the Redskins were so far in front that the Cowboys had to abandon the run, especially from a player who is considered your best home-run hitter. If he has the talent and skills to take it to the house on any play, then feed him the rock.

"I was ready today, but there's really nothing I can do," Jones said. "I just wait until my number is called. I can't really get (upset) about it. I always want the ball. But I just have to be ready all the time. Today, we just didn't get many opportunities."

Makes no sense to me. But OK, if you don't feel as comfortable with giving the ball to Felix, then at least get it more to Barber.

Eight carries for 26 yards? He got 15 on one carry. The commitment to the running game just wasn't there. And that is a shock, considering what the Redskins had to do to stop Terrell Owens and Witten.

Did anyone see where Landry was lining up for most of the game? Of course you didn't. Even your widest of widescreen plasmas probably didn't get Landry in the picture. This dude was sometimes 25 yards off the ball. There were at least five plays when I thought he was playing for a quick kick.

So obviously, the Redskins weren't stacking the line too much. The lack of rushing attempts shows the Cowboys just didn't have the same game plan to pound the ball like they have done so far this season.

They ran the ball 31 times in Cleveland, then 24 against the Eagles before 35 totes last week. And they get to the rough-and-tough division game with the Redskins and they run 11 times, three of which came from Terrell Owens and Tony Romo.

I liked the play with Owens, but I couldn't help but wonder why Felix Jones couldn't do that as well.

Unfortunately for the Cowboys, when you're not running the ball well, or at all, you rely on the passing game and for some reason, it was off.

Yeah, I see that Tony Romo passed for 300 yards and three touchdowns. But anyone could see that he was not on his A-game. He looked rushed, which the Redskins certainly had a big part in that, but he hurried a lot of his throws and just didn't look as sharp as we've seen.

Then again, maybe 47 passing attempts is a little high for any quarterback. They asked Romo to do way too much in this game and he just didn't deliver. You can call the passing game ineffective if you'd like. But in this case, it starts with the run.

Just like it always does.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:08 PM   #159
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Just because he may not be an every-down back, doesn't mean he's not an any-down back.
Word.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #160
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The Cowboys used Jones in a few more plays, and for the most part, he would motion out to a wide receiver position, where the Redskins would often match him up with a safety.
Maybe they are saving this or still working out the bugs, but this seems like a highly favorable matchup for a deeper pass. Let Jones blaze past the safety and either catch a deeper ball or draw a second defender his way. Houston did it with Slaton and Slaton got them a TD.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote