Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Mavs fans get free plane tickets at last home game.

Mark Cuban's latest free handout to Dallas Mavericks fans was a little more expensive than a T-shirt.

Between the first and second quarter of Wednesday night's Clippers-Mavericks game, Cuban announced that every fan at the game will receive a free plane ticket on American Airlines, which has naming rights at the Mavericks' home, American Airlines Center.

It was not clear whether Cuban or the airline paid for the tickets.

American Airlines Center seats 19,200 for basketball.

Last edited by Drbio; 04-19-2006 at 09:36 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

....freaking awesome gesture
Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #3
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Best. Owner. In. Sports.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
Best. Owner. In. Sports.
Word.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:45 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Worst haircut in sports?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:47 PM   #6
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

He's trying to make us forget the Nash, Finley, and Dampier debacles
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:55 PM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Whoever decides how to schedule the half-season packages sucks. If you're reading this, you suck.

I have a half-season package and wasn't there tonight. This only adds insult to injury, as your sorry splitting skills gave me games on 8 of 10 consecutive Tuesdays, causing me to miss lots of American Idol.

Boo on the Mavs package splitter man.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:59 PM   #8
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan
Whoever decides how to schedule the half-season packages sucks. If you're reading this, you suck.

This only adds insult to injury, as your sorry splitting skills gave me games on 8 of 10 consecutive Tuesdays, causing me to miss lots of American Idol.

Boo on the Mavs package splitter man.
Totally agree. We have a half season package as well. Wish I could have been there!! And speaking of American Idol, they were awesome last night! That was definitely the most consistently good set of performances I've seen on that show. And how was Chris in the bottom two? I thought he was absolutely amazing last night.

And now you may get back to the discussing of the Dallas Mavericks....

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:03 PM   #9
Jbrjo

Jbrjo will become famous soon enough

Only bad part is that you can only fly to San Antonio, Austin, St. Louis, or Kansas City...Who really wants to go there?

Plus you have to decide by April 30th.
Jbrjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

I imagine some will fly down to San Antonio to see our Mavs kick the shat out of the Spurts.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:34 PM   #11
Jbrjo

Jbrjo will become famous soon enough

If anyone needs an extra ticket, please PM me.
Jbrjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:39 PM   #12
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefformvp
Totally agree. We have a half season package as well. Wish I could have been there!! And speaking of American Idol, they were awesome last night! That was definitely the most consistently good set of performances I've seen on that show. And how was Chris in the bottom two? I thought he was absolutely amazing last night.

And now you may get back to the discussing of the Dallas Mavericks....
I'm glad someone other than me noticed this!! Really, it was pretty crappy. Tuesdays I like to go play basketball and then watch AI. Totally threw me off, having game after game after game on the same night of the week.

As for the plane ticket, it would've been a pain for me to use anyway. But, awesome idea and AA is going to get some good pub initially. However, don't you imagine it'll work against their case w/r/t the Wright Amendment? Giving a bunch of people free tickets that pretty much only get them 4 hours down the road?

21,000 people, tons of them don't have a clue about the Wright Amendment. They get a free ticket and realize that they can only fly to destinations out of Love. They're gonna say, "why can't Love fly me anywhere like other places?" Someone will say, "the Wright Amendment." They'll say, "the Wright Amendment sucks."

Which it does.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:07 PM   #13
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
He's trying to make us forget the Nash, Finley, and Dampier debacles
Yup..that's why he keeps trotting out 60 win teams.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:11 PM   #14
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Free...be...free... No complaints.. I think I'll schedule another trip down to san antonio. Usually you can change the dates once you get the ticket. Maybe another mavs-spurs game??
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:51 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
Nash who? 2002 what?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-19-2006 at 11:51 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 11:57 PM   #16
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I wonder if this was paid for by the online poker company Cuban kept pimping all night long.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:59 PM   #17
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
no progress in 4 years. hmmm

didn't we win 60 and go to the WC finals a few years ago? It's been so long I'm beginning to forget.

Last edited by madape; 04-20-2006 at 12:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:04 AM   #18
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
no progress in 4 years. hmmm

didn't we win 60 and go to the WC finals a few years ago? It's been so long I'm beginning to forget.
Well Im sure glad you are counting them eggs, right after taking your li'l spoon and rolling them along the whitehouse lawn on Easter morning.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:09 AM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help but feel that AJ threw this game in homage to his great mentor Don Nelson and the sheer inimitability of that once-in-a-lifetime team. It was somewhat akin to Barry Sanders retiring before he would break Payton's record, though admittedly on a smaller scale.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:13 AM   #20
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
I can't help but feel that AJ threw this game in homage to his great mentor Don Nelson and the sheer inimitability of that once-in-a-lifetime team. It was somewhat akin to Barry Sanders retiring before he would break Payton's record, though admittedly on a smaller scale.

I'm assuming you're kidding.. but I'm sure Avery would have rather won tonight than have lost..
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 AM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Avery always wants to win, but he wanted to win it while playing a lineup of Marshall, Powell, MBenga, Diop and Pavel.

Im sorry but I just love that lineup
Old 04-20-2006, 12:16 AM   #22
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Well Im sure glad you are counting them eggs, right after taking your li'l spoon and rolling them along the whitehouse lawn on Easter morning.
??? Strange

Some fans like freebies like plane tickets, chalupas, and bobble heads. Others are happy when the team acheivs playoff success. Given the way Cuban's managed the team since 2003, I can see the need to do something like this.

But unfortunalty, Cuban doesn't deserve the praise. I just heard on TV that it was paid for by American Airlines. Not Mark Cuban. Not blood money from the poker site the Mavs were pimping (that money went right into Cuban's pocketbook, aparently).

So of the millions that Cuban saved by selling out the team and its fans by letting Nash walk for nothing... we still get nothing. Ticket prices have risen, of course.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:18 AM   #23
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Suns tickets are still cheap, Madape. Also there are new orange and purple gameworn Nash jerseys on Ebay now. You could focus your energy on winning one of those...
Old 04-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #24
madape
Diamond Member

I just watched a whole SEGMENT on FSN in which Stackhouse, Darrell Armstrong and other Mavs played a game with the world champion of poker

of course, POKERSTARS.COM was plastered all over the damn place. on the table, on the guy's shirt, on posters on the wall

that's just disgusting.

a new low in sponsorship
Old 04-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #25
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

You know, the Arena here in Miami is called the American Airlines Arena, there's a team here some people call elite, yet there's no free ticket giveaway. So maybe, just maybe, mark had something to do with it.
Quote:
I just watched a whole SEGMENT on FSN in which Stackhouse, Darrell Armstrong and other Mavs played a game with the world champion of poker

of course, POKERSTARS.COM was plastered all over the damn place. on the table, on the guy's shirt, on posters on the wall

that's just disgusting.

a new low in sponsorship
I've pretty much come to terms with the fact Mark Cuban is a capitalist pig.

Last edited by bernardos70; 04-20-2006 at 12:22 AM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:22 AM   #26
madape
Diamond Member

support your team ERrca! Mention the Mavericks and you can get $10 worth of chips free when you set up a new account!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:23 AM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Good luck beating the Lakers, Ape. Maybe we'll see your team in the WCF.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:31 AM   #28
madape
Diamond Member

look, you can even trade in your chips for Dallas Maverick merchandise

http://www.pokerstars.com/fpp_store_clothing2.html

of course, the Mavericks are the only professional team immoral enough to partner with an online gambling site. I guess if gamblers want a Steve Nash jersey, they're S.O.L.

Last edited by madape; 04-20-2006 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:34 AM   #29
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

I have a genius idea for you but I dont know if you want to hear it.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:36 AM   #30
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Calculate it if you can. Call it 20,000 seats. How many tickets get used? One time at a silent auction I bought a $75 gift certificate (for fifty bucks) to a restaurant that I had been to a few times and really liked (Sweet Basil Cafe, in Carrollton). Six years later, I've still got the thing in my drawer. And I eat out all the time! I paid for it and didn't use to it. I think it's safe to say that if even 5,000 of these tickets are used it will be far more than expected.

I'd put it closer to 2,000. (And I think that might even be on the high side.) Figure $200 bucks a pop, and that's $400,000. Not a bad price. Not a bad price at all for the great publicity.

Clever, yes. Innovative, indeed. Generous? I'm afraid not. If they had given everyone a twenty-dollar bill, that would have been generous, and would have cost about the same. But for obvious reasons, they didn't do that.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:37 AM   #31
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
look, you can even trade in your chips for Dallas Maverick merchandise

http://www.pokerstars.com/fpp_store_clothing2.html

of course, the Mavericks are the only professional team who's immoral enough to partner with an online gambling site... I guess if I want a Nash jersey, I'm SOL.
I guess I should be glad that I was able to buy the Pavel Podkolzin game worn jersey that I bought tonight (one of only five that the Bear wore in his rookie year) before the organization decided to throw such artifacts of history as sops to gambling vice sites, rather than to organizations like the MeiGray group that have traditionally certified and marketed such artifacts to fans ...
Old 04-20-2006, 12:39 AM   #32
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

the real problem American has is that their service sucks. What does it matter if a few thousand people discover American? will they ever fly AA again?

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-20-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:40 AM   #33
chumdawg
Guru

Are there casinos in any of the cities those plane tickets fly to? Imagine what a killer combo package they could have pulled off!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:46 AM   #34
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

too bad they also didnt also hand out Chalupa certificates! What a weekend that would be! Chalupas, gambling and jetsetting.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 04-20-2006 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:51 AM   #35
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. Belittle the gesture all you guys want.. no other owner in professional sports would do anything similar.

If NBA fans around the league are envious of anything about our franchise, best believe having Cuban as a owner is it. Laker fans, Knick fans, even Sacto fans will all talk all sorts of shit about Dallas but they all admit they'd trade owners with Dallas in a pinch.

Even if this move is not a fifty-million dollar thank you and has built-in marketing/PR benefits, it's not anything any fan should ever expect from a owner. And if it is truly a marketing/PR benefit thing, give it up to the genius... more pub and $$ for our Mavs is a good thing.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:53 AM   #36
Drbio
Banned

rep to rabbit
Old 04-20-2006, 12:57 AM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

Knick fans would trade owners? Why?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:01 AM   #38
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Knick fans would trade owners? Why?
I would ask the same question - Knicks fans seem quite enamored with their mediocrity.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:04 AM   #39
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe because Cuban would fire Isiah Thomas.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:08 AM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitproof
Maybe because Cuban would fire Isiah Thomas.
Quick question: Name the last GM or coach that Cuban fired.