Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-02-2001, 12:54 PM   #1
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

They've been playing really well lately. What's gotten into Ruben Sierra? Does anyone have an opinion on why they've made such a drastic turn-around? This good spell could end very soon with the M's comming into town.
Old 07-02-2001, 12:55 PM   #2
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

How have they been doing? I don't keep up, but I have noticed them winning a couple games just from channel-surfing. I hear they might release Caminiti this week.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 01:02 PM   #3
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Flying Tiger will become famous soon enoughFlying Tiger will become famous soon enough

They've won 8 out of their last 12. Zimmerman has been pitching awesome and Daren Oliver is probably thier best starter.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:03 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Yeah, they'll probably release him today. It's the best move for the Rangers but Cami was sooo happy here. I kinda feel sorry for him. Just when he finds a place where he's happy, he gets released.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 01:04 PM   #5
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

<< Caminiti expects to be released >>

By Jesse Sanchez
TexasRangers.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The Ken Caminiti era as a Texas Ranger could be over. The 38-year old third baseman said he expects the Rangers to release him Monday.

Caminiti has been on the disabled list since June 17 with a pulled left hamstring.

&quot;Something's going down tomorrow,&quot; Caminiti told TexasRangers.com before the Rangers' game with Oakland on Sunday. &quot;I think I'm going to come off (the disabled list) and they're going to release me.&quot;

Caminiti is set to receive an additional $3.2 million for the remainder of this season and in 2002 if he is on the roster or disabled list on August 15. But with the Rangers 27 games out of first-place in the American League West and rebuilding as part of Rangers owner Tom Hicks &quot;Three-Year Plan&quot;, an aging veteran baseball player is not part of the Rangers' future.

Caminiti signed with Texas as free agent on December 10.

&quot;We'll make a decision tomorrow,&quot; Rangers General Manager Doug Melvin said. &quot;You never know, Mike Lamb might get hurt tonight. We'll make a decision tomorrow.&quot;

The Rangers called up Mike Lamb on June 17 from Triple-A Oklahoma City to play third base in Caminti's absence. Scott Sheldon has also played third base this season and Randy Velarde, a veteran utility infielder, is scheduled to begin rehab assignment for a pulled hamstring next week. Velarde took groundballs at third base during the Rangers' last homestand --June 19 to 21.

Caminiti, the 1996 National League Most Valuable player, has said his hamstring is not 100 percent healthy but he is strong enough to play. He has been taking batting practice and running in the outfield at The Ballpark in Arlington since Friday. On Sunday, his agent Rick Licht watched from the stands. Licht and Melvin are scheduled to meet on Monday.

&quot;I've been swinging the bat every day and taking groundballs,&quot; Caminiti said. &quot;I really haven't missed much. I feel good. I can play.&quot;

In 13 seasons with Houston, San Diego and Texas, Caminiti has a career .273 batting average with 233 home runs, 967 RBIs in 1696 games. This season, he has hit .232 with nine home runs, 25 RBIs in 54 games.

Last season, the three-time All-Star played in 59 games, his fewest of his career, before being sidelined on June 15 with a right wrist injury. In 1999 his missed 79 games with a strained right calf muscle.

Jesse Sanchez is the site reporter for texasrangers.com. He can be contacted via email at jsanchez@texasrangers.com.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:05 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

actually, doug davis has probably been their best starter recently, with an era over his past several starts around 2.3 or so
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 01:05 PM   #7
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Is it because he's always injured or because he just sucks now?
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2001, 01:06 PM   #8
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

&quot;Braves, Cubs could be interested in Caminiti

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas -- The Texas Rangers will release Ken Caminiti on Monday, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported in its Monday editions.

Caminiti

&quot;Yeah, I'll be released,&quot; he told the newspaper Sunday.

That caps a disappointing half season for Caminiti, who was playing in the American League for the first time.

Caminiti, 38, has been on the disabled list since June 17, when he pulled his left hamstring running out a single against the Houston Astros at Enron Field. He becomes eligible for activation on Monday.

At the time of his injury, he was batting .232 with nine home runs and 25 RBI. He had struck out 41 times in 185 at-bats, and had committed nine errors.

He had shown signs of emerging from his batting slump. In June, he had batted .239 with two homers and five RBI before his injury.

The Rangers had signed the former Astro to a free-agent deal of one year, plus two option years. By releasing him now, the Rangers would save $3 million of his 2001 salary, as well as incentives.

Caminiti's release would leave Mike Lamb as the Rangers' starting third baseman. Since being recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma on June 17, Lamb has batted .209 with three RBI in 12 games.

His release by the Rangers may not end Caminiti's season, however.

&quot;A lot of teams have inquired about him,&quot; said Caminiti's agent, Rick Licht.

The Star-Telegram reports the St. Louis Cardinals sent a scout to watch Caminiti work out last week. It also reported the Atlanta Braves, Chicago Cubs, Detroit Tigers and San Francisco Giants may be interested in the former National League Most Valuable Player's services.&quot;

Source: ESPN.com

Old 07-02-2001, 01:08 PM   #9
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Oh...I didn't think about that. He would be a great fit for Chicago(my favorite team). They need some hitting and a better third baseman than Ron Coomer.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:09 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Caminiti is a warrior and has had a very solid career.
he's just getting old and the older players usually get, the more likely they are to be injured. he's a very tough guys but he's breaking down..and the rangers have a few guys they can plug in at his spot...getting some young guys some AB's...
Old 07-02-2001, 01:10 PM   #11
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

DJ, he can definitely still play(although not at the level he once could), he's just always injured.

Old 07-02-2001, 01:11 PM   #12
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Maybe that third baseman that they picked up in the draft could get a shot later in the season.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:16 PM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Nah, I doubt it. Last I heard he hasn't even signed yet, so it's more likely to see him around the All-Star break next year.

Old 07-02-2001, 01:24 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Texieria?..something like that.
nah, i think the rangers are looking at keeping him in the minors for a year and a half or so..if all goes as planned...
although, they do have a third baseman in the minors that's performing very well...i can't remember, but i think he's playing for tulsa..maybe he'd get a shot, although i doubt it.

But, look for velarde to play some third when he gets healthy. He's been practicing third..scott sheldon has been coaching him...so young can still get his playing time at second, velarde can get into the game at third...lamb will probably go back down, i would think
Old 07-02-2001, 01:33 PM   #15
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

Speaking of the minors...have yall seen that K-Swiss comercial with that guy in the minors? If he was really that good, he'd be playing with the big boys.
Old 07-02-2001, 01:34 PM   #16
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

I love Velarde. He's just too good of a hitter to not have in the lineup.
Old 07-02-2001, 02:36 PM   #17
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

I'd look for them to trade Velarde when he gets back. Alot of teams would be interested in him too.

Old 07-02-2001, 02:49 PM   #18
Murphy3
Guru

there's been some talk of the rangers bringing him back next year..i just don't see it...but i do look for him to play third until he's traded.
Old 07-02-2001, 04:55 PM   #19
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Cami is officially gone.

Link

Old 07-02-2001, 04:57 PM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

thanks for the update.
i wish for nothing other than the best for caminiti
Old 07-02-2001, 05:04 PM   #21
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

A-Rod and I-Rod were also named starters for the All-Star game.

Link

Alex starting in the All-Star game back in Seattle. This will be interesting.

Old 07-03-2001, 12:41 AM   #22
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

The Rangers will dump a lot of players very soon. The average age of the everyday lineup will be in the mid-20's before the end of the year.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2001, 11:05 PM   #23
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

Cami signs with the Atlanta Braves. It's gonna be interesting because what are they gonna do with Chipper now? He'll probably move to the outfield now.

Braves sign Cami

Old 07-06-2001, 11:51 PM   #24
Flying Tiger
Golden Member

That sucks...I wanted him to go to the Cubs. I heard that the Braves had no intention of moving Chipper.