Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #1
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future
Default The Rick Carlisle appreciation thread

Long overdue
Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Rick thanks for all.You are the best Mavericks coach!!!
I love you!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

It was about discipline. Realizing that the regular season is only a testing ground for the play offs. Understanding that every player on the team counts. How many Mavericks made an important contribution in the play offs:

Dirk
JKidd
Marion
Chandler
Stevenson
Barea
Peja
Cardinal
Haywood
Mahinni
Brewer
JET

Basically all twelve players that were active. That doesn't happen if you don't prepare the players in the regular season.

Finally, getting every player the rest they need and trusting the rest of the team while Dirk or Kidd or whomever is sitting.

Carlisle took the long term look over short term satisfaction and it paid off.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
croco

croco has a spectacular aura aboutcroco has a spectacular aura aboutcroco has a spectacular aura about

Just like players, coaches can improve. Remember when everyone was saying Carlisle was too stubborn and micro-managing games? He took some time off from coaching or was forced to after being the head coach of the Pacers, had an opportunity to evaluate his coaching philosophy while at ESPN and the results speak for themselves.

Late in Game 5, Jason Kidd was rallying the troops in the huddle and Carlisle was just listening because he knew he didn't have to add to that. He made several adjustments over the course of the Finals and the entire postseason, was bold at times and had the courage to let assistants impact his decisions to a degree he certainly would not have years ago. He, along with the entire coaching staff, made the pieces fit together because let's face it, individually this team doesn't look like a championship team on paper.

Props to him, great coaching job.
croco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 10:45 PM   #5
Dan1

Dan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to all

The greatest coach in Mavs history?

Congratz!
Old 06-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Carlisle's "Be ready" mantra really, really was a difference maker. Would you have predicted Ian Mahinmi and Brian Cardinal making significant plays in the title game? They were ready, and I think credit goes to Carlisle for preaching it all season long.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

What a great post game interview. He said what we all were screaming "When are people going to acknowledge the purity of Maverick basketball?"
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
She_Growls
Golden Member

She_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFace View Post
What a great post game interview. He said what we all were screaming "When are people going to acknowledge the purity of Maverick basketball?"
to add to his comments, "And stop talking about the LeBron Reality Show".....lol

I loved it! RC got my respect on that one!!!!!!
She_Growls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #9
endrity
Platinum Member

endrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud ofendrity has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
The greatest coach in Mavs history?

Congratz!
No doubt. He's done an absolutely brilliant job.
endrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Rick really let it down and gave some passionate, emotional responses in his press conference tonight. I highly encourage everyone to check it out on NBA.com later tonight or tomorrow.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:49 PM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 PM   #12
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Wonderful coaching job. Couldn't have done this without him. Right man for the job at the right time with the right people. He earned this trophy.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #13
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it was interesting Carlisle mentioning cough gate. I thought those two Heat making fun of Dirk being sick was monumentally stupid.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:39 AM   #14
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

we love you coach Jim! Now on to watch your movie Mr. Poppers

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:31 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I can't believe that in all of the post-game stuff I have watched, I didn't get a replay of the Carlisle presser. That kinda pisses me off.

But still and all, tomorrow I'm getting a buzz cut and growing a bald spot.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 AM   #16
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
I can't believe that in all of the post-game stuff I have watched, I didn't get a replay of the Carlisle presser. That kinda pisses me off.

But still and all, tomorrow I'm getting a buzz cut and growing a bald spot.
They've played it on NBATV at least once.

It will be on NBA.com.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #17
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
They've played it on NBATV at least once.

It will be on NBA.com.
Screw my luck. I've been watching NBATV off and on. I hope I can catch it in its entirety. The dude is like a shaman to me.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:55 AM   #18
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

I got this from another board but the quote is worth copying here:

Quote:

Q. Do you think you set an example maybe that other teams can follow or are the attributes and adjectives you described this team so rare that maybe we won't see another Dallas Mavericks?

COACH RICK CARLISLE: This is one of the really unique teams. This is my opinion now. This is one of the unique teams in NBA history. Because it wasn't about high flying star power. Come on, how often do we have to hear about the LeBron James reality show and what he is or isn't doing? When are people going to talk about the purity of our game and what these guys accomplished? That's what's special. And I played with Larry Bird, I played with Bill Walton, I played with Robert Parish, I played with Dennis Johnson. I played with the all time greats. And Dirk is up there with that upper, upper echelon of great players.

He's arguably the most unique players in the history of the game. Because there's never been a seven foot player that has developed his skill and his resourcefulness for being able to find ways to score. And he's also a very underrated defensive player. When he wasn't on the floor, our defense suffered as well.

I'm so proud of what our team stood for. I kept having people come up to me the last three or four days, "Hey, there's billions of people rooting for you guys. There's billions of people rooting for you guys." And we could feel it. We could feel it. We knew it was very important that we won this series for those reasons. Because of what the game is about, and what the game should stand for. And I'm so, so proud to be a small part of that.
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=268&f=2144&t=7592338
Old 06-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

Dammit. I can't believe that I still haven't caught this presser.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #20
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Dammit. I can't believe that I still haven't caught this presser.
You truly have to watch it. So eloquent, so powerful.

I watched it live earlier and I can't seem to find a video of it. Once I do, I'll post it here.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 AM   #21
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty55555 View Post
You truly have to watch it. So eloquent, so powerful.

I watched it live earlier and I can't seem to find a video of it. Once I do, I'll post it here.
They just had him on NBATV, and it was the same thing I saw before. None of the good stuff. Damnit.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #22
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:
They just had him on NBATV, and it was the same thing I saw before. None of the good stuff. Damnit.
Yikes. Maybe it was the condensed version. I hope nba.com will have it later in the day. I personally would love to watch it again. It was spectacular.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #23
Nowitzness81

Nowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant futureNowitzness81 has a brilliant future

Jason Whitlock compared him to Bill Belichick in a recent article.

It was actually a very good comparison.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 AM   #24
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

great coach. Give that man an extension immediately. also a raise too
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #25
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

More good stuff on Carlisle from the much-maligned Hollinger.

Quote:
Carlisle pushed all of the right buttons
By John Hollinger
ESPN.com

MIAMI -- Score one for the geeks.

The Dallas Mavericks won their first-ever championship for a lot of different reasons, most of which rhyme with the word “Birk.” But in a playoffs in which the difference between winning and losing was razor-thin, at the margin a key difference was that their brain trust was consistently a step ahead of the competition.

Dallas coach Rick Carlisle’s shift to J.J. Barea as a starter for Game 4 is the most obvious example -- the Mavs won the final three games with the diminutive speedster in the lineup, an achievement that hardly seemed preordained given that he was shooting 5-for-23 at the time. But on countless other subtle moves -- from rest to zones to his use of role players -- Carlisle was pitch perfect.

This was not an isolated incident either. The Mavs, as flawed as they looked on paper, had a unique way of optimizing the resources they had while camouflaging their weaknesses.

It’s a victory for the data-driven approach that Dallas' coaching staff has taken, starting with Carlisle -- unquestionably the most cerebral and stat-friendly of the league’s 30 head coaches -- and down to director of basketball analytics Roland Beech, the 82games.com founder who joined the Mavs on the bench last season and earned the unofficial title of “first stat geek with a championship ring” with such access to the coaching staff.

Carlisle was reluctant to toot his own horn, deflecting praise to the players and calling out two assistant coaches in his opening remarks of the postgame interview. So let me do it for him. Going up against four fairly accomplished coaches in this postseason, he and the Dallas staff consistently stayed a half-step ahead of all four of them.

To say “every button he pushed worked” is technically true, but also misses the point. He wasn’t throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what would stick, he was making calculated adjustments that he knew had a great chance of success. That’s why they all worked.

Tactically, he did the one thing that coaching, at its bottom line, is all about: He gave his team the best chance to win, often with some courageously out-of-the-box thinking.

“Rick coached his ass off,” Mavs owner Mark Cuban said. “There was no question he was the best coach in the playoffs.”

And in doing so, he’s now ascended to near the top of the league’s coaching totem pole. With Phil Jackson retiring, Larry Brown out of the league and Pat Riley in the front office, there is only one active coach who can boast a stronger resume. That’s San Antonio’s Gregg Popovich, and Carlisle won’t be moving into that rarefied air any time soon.

But compared to anyone else? Who can stack up with Carlisle? Remember, he might be working on his second championship had Jamaal Tinsley and Jermaine O’Neal not been injured in the 2004 conference finals; he’s only coached nine seasons.

Perhaps he needed an owner like Cuban to appreciate him. Cuban is an oddity because he’s as emotional as any owner in basketball, but behind that facade is an avid number-cruncher who hired Carlisle, in part, because Cuban studied his lineup usage and noted he used optimal line-ups with far greater frequency than most coaches.

Perhaps he needed a team like this too. Having a team full of veterans that cared little about personal agendas gave him a lot more leeway to mix and match lineups and roles. That, in turn, provided him the optimal environment to work his magic.

“The inflection point for the team this year,” said Cuban, “was when they got past learning Rick’s system, to finally just committing to it and executing Rick’s system. And with the analytics, understanding what it takes to execute it and how to execute it. So Rick did a phenomenal job.”

How did Carlisle and his crew -- which includes Beech and assistants Dwane Casey, Terry Stotts, Tim Grgurich, Darrell Armstrong, Monte Mathis and Don Kalkstein -- outfox the competition?

Let’s start with the zone defenses. Dallas was widely regarded as the league’s best zone team throughout the season, thanks in part to the two 7-footers in the frontcourt, but also due to Carlisle’s willingness to switch to it and assistant Dwane Casey’s ability to teach it. (Seriously, would somebody give Casey another a head-coaching gig already?)

The amazing effect of the Mavericks’ zone in Game 6 was not just that it gummed up Miami’s offenses momentarily (a “guerilla tactic,” as our Kevin Arnovitz calls it), but that once the Mavs returned to a man-to-man defense the Heat’s previous mojo against it magically vanished.

Dallas went to a zone late in the first quarter in the most crucial sequence of the game, with the Mavs already down by seven points and Dirk Nowitzki on the bench with two fouls. Given the Mavs’ horrifyingly bad plus-minus numbers with Dirk off the floor this season, the danger of a blowout loomed large.

Instead, the zone helped Dallas hold Miami to two points over the next five minutes, the subs unexpectedly blew up for 17 of their own, and the Mavs closed the quarter with an unlikely five-point lead.

In the fourth quarter, Dallas again trotted out the zone; while the effect wasn’t as outsized, it slowed down a Miami charge long enough for the Mavs to regain control.

Second, Carlisle’s flexibility in mixing and matching lineups gives him a leg up. NBA coaches are amazingly reluctant to change lineups, even when what they’re doing clearly isn’t working. For example, it took Miami five games to yank Mike Bibby from the starting lineup, and they only did so when facing elimination. They are not unique in this regard. (The NBA playoffs: Where finally doing what you should have done three games ago happens).

Carlisle admitted that he’s not fond of changing lineups either -- there’s a value in continuity -- but when push came to shove he’s been more than willing to pull the trigger. Peja Stojakovic went from a key rotation player for three rounds to a bystander in this one when it became obvious the match-ups didn’t favor him; it’s easy to forget now, but he averaged more than 24 minutes a game in the first two rounds when his floor-spacing was more advantageous.

Similarly, Barea went from the bench to a starting role in Game 4, which allowed him to savage Miami’s flammable Mike Bibby for two games before the Heat mustered a response. And his use of reserves Brian Cardinal and Ian Mahinmi in place of an injured Brendan Haywood was equally effective.

“He did some phenomenal adjustments here to start J.J.,” Nowitzki said, “ and then decided to let Peja really sit for the series [and] bring Cardinal in, who has been phenomenal for us.”

And let me reiterate that the geeks played a big role. The Mavericks knew which lineups and pairings worked for them and optimized their rotations accordingly. But it wasn’t just about personnel usage in the NBA Finals -- it was play calls, game planning and countless in-season adjustments that built to this moment.

“Roland was a key part to all his,” Cuban said. “I give a lot of credit to Coach Carlisle for putting Roland on the bench and interfacing with him, and making sure we understood exactly what was going on. Knowing what lineups work, what the issues were in terms of play calls and training.”

“It makes a difference. I think Jason and JET and Dirk and Tyson Chandler make a whole lot more difference, but if you don’t know what’s going on it’s hard for you to get smarter and get better.”

The Mavs did both, and it’s a big reason they’re champions.
http://espn.go.com/blog/TrueHoop/pos...-right-buttons
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:40 AM   #26
GhostFace
Platinum Member

GhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant futureGhostFace has a brilliant future

The post game interview is up on NBA.com for those of you who have not seen it. Truly a thing of beauty.

Edit.. I don't think this is the full interview because I certainly remember it being longer and far more questions were asked.

Last edited by GhostFace; 06-14-2011 at 08:44 AM.
GhostFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 AM   #27
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

From Garcia, long but worth the read: Rick Carlisle's title befits winning style

Bit of gold from the article:
Quote:
Carlisle isn't all Xs and Os. During the Finals he asked video coordinator Mike Shedd to collect some of the NHL's most vicious hits. In a Heat series that became increasingly testy as it went on, the Mavericks watched the motivating montage of hockey collisions spliced into their normal film session before Game 6.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #28
OSU_MAV

OSU_MAV is a jewel in the roughOSU_MAV is a jewel in the roughOSU_MAV is a jewel in the roughOSU_MAV is a jewel in the roughOSU_MAV is a jewel in the rough

He put on a coaching clinic in the finals. I really liked him at Indiana and Detroit, and am very glad to have him coaching the Mavs
Old 06-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #29
Spurred1

Spurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to allSpurred1 is a name known to all

You guys see that blog by a Miami Heat fan? He insists that the series was lost when Carlisle sent Cardinal into the game to purposely injure Wade. According to this guy, it all ended once Wade got injured.
Here's the link-but it is actually a follow up to the original article on the blog; it covers the same stuff-Cardinal is a fucking goon who doesn't belong in the NBA; he exists solely to hurt opponents, etc, etc...
http://miami-heat-index.blogspot.com...l#comment-form

He apparently feels validated because Casey talked about taking on the attitude of hockey players at his intro as Raptors coach. But this blogger would have been fine with the Heat playing like thugs, I suspect. He likely thought Wade injuring Rondo was smart.
Another whiny baby.

Last edited by Spurred1; 06-24-2011 at 03:44 AM.
Spurred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #30
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred1 View Post
You guys see that blog by a Miami Heat fan? He insists that the series was lost when Carlisle sent Cardinal into the game to purposely injure Wade. According to this guy, it all ended once Wade got injured.
Here's the link-but it is actually a follow up to the original article on the blog; it covers the same stuff-Cardinal is a fucking goon who doesn't belong in the NBA; he exists solely to hurt opponents, etc, etc...

He apparently feels validated because Casey talked about taking on the attitude of hockey players at his intro as Raptors coach. But this blogger would have been fine with the Heat playing like thugs, I suspect. He likely thought Wade injuring Rondo was smart.
Another whiny baby.
Obviously sissy wade can't take the heat. Who was running into whom?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 06-24-2011 at 09:31 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 AM   #31
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurred1 View Post

Another whiny baby.
Cardinal took that charge like a man and Wade should've been called for the foul - he only "injured" himself because he's a flopping little bitch who landed wrong when he tried to sell the call.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 06-24-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #32
iella
Golden Member

Really nice article by Rob Mahoney on Carlisle:

Quote:
Al Harrington has played in 14 NBA seasons, and for a vast majority of that time he’s been a key component of some highly diverse offenses. He’s played in all kinds of systems maintained by all kinds of coaching administrators. He’s played under Larry Bird, Isiah Thomas, Rick Carlisle, Mike Woodson, Don Nelson, Mike D’Antoni, and most recently, George Karl.

Which makes it very interesting that in his conversation with Henry Abbott on today’s installment of the NBA Today podcast, Harrington chose to gush about Carlisle — who was with Harrington in Indiana first as an assistant under Bird and later as a head coach — over some of the other, very capable coaches (including his current one) on that list.
Click through for some nice quotes by Harrington on Carlisle's X's and O's.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #33
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iella View Post
Really nice article by Rob Mahoney on Carlisle:

Click through for some nice quotes by Harrington on Carlisle's X's and O's.
Really great article. Thank you for sharing.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #34
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Wow, some praise. Guess Al was about the cash rather rings, when picked Denver over us.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #35
Justafix

Justafix is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Wow, some praise. Guess Al was about the cash rather rings, when picked Denver over us.
Then Al's a smart Guy.
Justafix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #36
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

stop this f***in' zone!!!!the 3's destroy us every game...
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #37
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs Fast Break feature on Rick Carlisle

http://www.mavsfastbreak.com/2012/02...y-this-season/
Old 02-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #38
monty55555
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Mavs Fast Break feature on Rick Carlisle

http://www.mavsfastbreak.com/2012/02...y-this-season/
Great article! Thank you.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #39
markus1234
Platinum Member

markus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to beholdmarkus1234 is a splendid one to behold

Sad article...very sad.

Just imagine Rick as a MAVS coach between 2005 and 2008.

2007-08 Boston Celtics

2006-07 San Antonio Spurs

2005-06 Miami Heat

2004-05 San Antonio Spurs

We had a german Porsche producing ridiculos PER and we gave the keys to a freakin Avery Johnson....

Pop's mascot, nothing more. He was not even ready to ride bike....

He made Duncan a 4 x champ, he made Wade a champ, and he almost screwed up Dirk's career completely.

Last edited by markus1234; 02-09-2012 at 07:15 PM.
markus1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #40
b_o_r
Golden Member

b_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud ofb_o_r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
Sad article...very sad.

Just imagine Rick as a MAVS coach between 2005 and 2008.

2007-08 Boston Celtics

2006-07 San Antonio Spurs

2005-06 Miami Heat

2004-05 San Antonio Spurs

We had a german Porsche producing ridiculos PER and we gave the keys to a freakin Avery Johnson....

Pop's mascot, nothing more. He was not even ready to ride bike....

He made Duncan a 4 x champ, he made Wade a champ, and he almost screwed up Dirk's career completely.
b_o_r is offline   Reply With Quote