Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 07-02-2016, 10:03 PM   #281
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

GS signing Barnes to crazy money isn't a win for the Mavs. It will help some of the top teams in the conference of GS loses some financial flexibility... But the Mavs aren't anywhere close to being on a level in which HS losing financial flexibility helps them.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2016, 10:07 PM   #282
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Reading some of the other blogs for the warriors. They seem pretty open letting Barnes walk. McMahon retweeted this article about them parting with Barnes is a good idea. They probably don't value Barnes like we do with that contract offer. I'ts been hours and no word golden state is going to match. Just assuming right now.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #283
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoYouEvenLift View Post
I believe Barnes shot 16% from 3 the last 3 games of the Finals.
Hui, thats better than Parsons in the playoffs as a Mavs player
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:19 PM   #284
DoYouEvenLift

DoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Hui, thats better than Parsons in the playoffs as a Mavs player
Well depends on how you look at it you can say Parsons shot 0% because he didn't shoot at all or you can say Parsons shot 100% because he never missed. I'm not sure if it's better though.
DoYouEvenLift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:24 PM   #285
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

So KD will decide by end of tomorrow/early monday morning and GS can match Barnes and Mavs look even dumber.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:28 PM   #286
DoYouEvenLift

DoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really niceDoYouEvenLift is just really nice

If I were GS I wouldn't match that, but I were Dallas I wouldn't have offered that. I think whoever ends up with Barnes at that price loses.
Old 07-02-2016, 10:40 PM   #287
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If I were GS I wouldn't match that, but I were Dallas I wouldn't have offered that. I think whoever ends up with Barnes at that price loses.
This.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #288
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@ESPNSteinLine: Two days into NBA free agency ... about 45 contracts verbally agreed to

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:20 PM   #289
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I have so many thoughts on this...

First, let's talk about Harrison Barnes. As a player, I actually like him. He played badly in the finals, but he has also proven himself to be a very good young player in this league. He can play multiple positions, is a well-rounded player, and might be one of those guys who looks better with a bigger role. I can't tell you how many games I have seen him get 12 points early and not take a shot for the rest of the game. He's only about 24 years old, and he's never had any kind of injury problem. He's been good enough to play his way onto the USA Basketball team, and he is probably the best remaining free agent.

As for whether or not Golden State matches his deal, I think it all just depends. I think the simplest answer is that it depends on Kevin Durant, but I think it also depends on what else the Warriors see out there. Others have already done an excellent job at pointing out that the Warriors are not going to have the luxury much longer of having the MVP count so little against their cap. They have free agents coming up over the next couple of years, and they may want to give themselves wiggle room to make moves and sign players. The Warriors clearly view Iguodala is the more important player of the two, so they may not be a ready as we think to match a max deal. Having said all of that, none of us would be surprised if they do. Most good teams don't actually let valuable players walk away for nothing. Cough, cough, Mavs.

Which brings us to the next issue of comparing an attempt on Barnes to the virtual certainty of being able to re-sign Parsons had the franchise chosen. I think the Mavs made themselves look bad in the Parsons situation. Beyond that, there has been an idea floating around for the last couple of weeks that the Mavs viewed Barnes as a lesser player than both Parsons and Batum. Personally, I think they are all about equal. I like Parsons' shooting and ball-handling. I like Batum's versatility. I like Barnes' ruggedness, shooting, defense, and upside. But the appearance to a lot of fans is that the Mavs essentially panicked after losing Parsons and went after a player that they deemed as a lesser player just a week ago. That doesn't play well. I hope for our sakes as fans that wasn't the case. But it is a weird situation.

Personally, I am rooting like crazy for this deal to happen. I don't think Harrison Barnes is going to come in and cure all of the Mavs' problems. I do think is someone who could be a Michael Finley type player, and I could sure get on board with that. I think the Mavs need as many good players as they can get, and this guy really is a good player...he might even be better than that.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #290
Melonhead
Guru

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddh33 View Post
I have so many thoughts on this...

First, let's talk about Harrison Barnes. As a player, I actually like him. He played badly in the finals, but he has also proven himself to be a very good young player in this league. He can play multiple positions, is a well-rounded player, and might be one of those guys who looks better with a bigger role. I can't tell you how many games I have seen him get 12 points early and not take a shot for the rest of the game. He's only about 24 years old, and he's never had any kind of injury problem. He's been good enough to play his way onto the USA Basketball team, and he is probably the best remaining free agent.

As for whether or not Golden State matches his deal, I think it all just depends. I think the simplest answer is that it depends on Kevin Durant, but I think it also depends on what else the Warriors see out there. Others have already done an excellent job at pointing out that the Warriors are not going to have the luxury much longer of having the MVP count so little against their cap. They have free agents coming up over the next couple of years, and they may want to give themselves wiggle room to make moves and sign players. The Warriors clearly view Iguodala is the more important player of the two, so they may not be a ready as we think to match a max deal. Having said all of that, none of us would be surprised if they do. Most good teams don't actually let valuable players walk away for nothing. Cough, cough, Mavs.

Which brings us to the next issue of comparing an attempt on Barnes to the virtual certainty of being able to re-sign Parsons had the franchise chosen. I think the Mavs made themselves look bad in the Parsons situation. Beyond that, there has been an idea floating around for the last couple of weeks that the Mavs viewed Barnes as a lesser player than both Parsons and Batum. Personally, I think they are all about equal. I like Parsons' shooting and ball-handling. I like Batum's versatility. I like Barnes' ruggedness, shooting, defense, and upside. But the appearance to a lot of fans is that the Mavs essentially panicked after losing Parsons and went after a player that they deemed as a lesser player just a week ago. That doesn't play well. I hope for our sakes as fans that wasn't the case. But it is a weird situation.

Personally, I am rooting like crazy for this deal to happen. I don't think Harrison Barnes is going to come in and cure all of the Mavs' problems. I do think is someone who could be a Michael Finley type player, and I could sure get on board with that. I think the Mavs need as many good players as they can get, and this guy really is a good player...he might even be better than that.
Stopping you right there. He cannot create, and he cannot dribble. In an expanded role this will become painfully obvious. He's great off ball because defense is paying attention to the other 3 all stars on the floor. And im not so sure he continues his 3 pt shooting % once all eyes are on him.

But what the hey. He's young and talented and we need that. At this point theres really nothing else we can do but go for it.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:50 PM   #291
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Per36 he had ~14p 6r 2a, good defense, really good from downtown. His game is different than Chandlers but overall this is allready pretty close to Chandlers numbers...

The Mavs need talent, they need young talent and btw they have to spend money.So i would be fine. If Barnes and Simba are taking the next step next season we would have a nice wing rotation with Barnes also able to back up Dirk. But again, Barnes is not coming....

And there isnt really much left after scratching Durant and Rondo.
Durant, Wade, Barnes (RFA), Gasol, Rondo, Ezeli (RFA), Zaza, JR Smith, Sullinger (RFA), Jamal Crawford, Motiejunas (RFA), DWill, Jennings, Crabbe (RFA), TJones, Bass, Lance Stephenson, Jerebko, Waiters, David West, Jordan Hill, David Lee, Matt Barnes, Derrick Williams, Ty Lawson, Scola, Speights, Harkless (RFA), Nene, Felton, Hibbert ...

Last edited by sefant77; 07-03-2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:36 AM   #292
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Did we make an official offer? Some of you implied we did, but I don't see it anywhere.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:51 AM   #293
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Did we make an official offer? Some of you implied we did, but I don't see it anywhere.
Below is the link to the article from Stein up on ESPN.

"Sources told ESPN.com that the Mavericks have committed a four-year max contract to Barnes worth an estimated $95 million, which can be finalized July 7, when a leaguewide moratorium is lifted on signings and trades."

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/16...agree-max-deal

Last edited by jleefilled; 07-03-2016 at 12:54 AM.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:08 AM   #294
sefant77
Guru

And i think its more about making GS pay and take them out of the 2017 free agency than "we really really like Barnes and want him".

Without Durant, the warriors cant replace him. So its Barnes or crappy minimum guy. Barnes with 24m and Curry getting his super max next summer, the Warriors have to pay ~90m for Curry/Thompson/Green/Barnes and are pretty much elimated as a player in the FA (cap holds, re-signing Iggy and the cap is gone).

With Barnes getting no max offer, he may have re-signed just for 15-16m. So the Mavs basically trying to screw the Warriors for next summer.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #295
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And i think its more about making GS pay and take them out of the 2017 free agency than "we really really like Barnes and want him".

Without Durant, the warriors cant replace him. So its Barnes or crappy minimum guy. Barnes with 24m and Curry getting his super max next summer, the Warriors have to pay ~90m for Curry/Thompson/Green/Barnes and are pretty much elimated as a player in the FA (cap holds, re-signing Iggy and the cap is gone).

With Barnes getting no max offer, he may have re-signed just for 15-16m. So the Mavs basically trying to screw the Warriors for next summer.
A little revenge for stealing Iggy last second from us. Man we've been unlucky in FA! Dwight opting in, Iggy, VaJ reneging
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:23 AM   #296
DoYouEvenLift

Quote:

I'm not arguing that you're wrong because you could be right but how does it help the Dallas Maverick basketball team to screw the Warriors? If this is true Cuban is being chilidish and petty and should sell the team. However I am not calling him that because we don't really know.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:24 AM   #297
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
So... yes then? That's what we're looking at? Anderson starting at 3 is one thing, but do we have no plan B if we don't land Conley?
Jeremy Lin was it. Not sure who Plan C was.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:26 AM   #298
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to allBigDog63 is a name known to all

Quote:

Without Durant, the warriors cant replace him.
Doesn't that also mean the Mavs can't afford to not get him?
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:47 AM   #299
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

When I think of Barnes....I think of a few years ago probably his rookie season or next year where he was just killing it in the post season. Hasn't been the same since.....but he's shown flashes of being a good player in this league.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 01:49 AM   #300
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
I'm not arguing that you're wrong because you could be right but how does it help the Dallas Maverick basketball team to screw the Warriors? If this is true Cuban is being chilidish and petty and should sell the team. However I am not calling him that because we don't really know.
Its not about being childish. Barnes signs this summer for 15-16m, Warriors have next summer (even with Currys new contract) double digit cap room. Mavs like player XY but he signs with the Warriors instead...

This cant happen with Barnes getting 24m instead of 15-16
Old 07-03-2016, 02:09 AM   #301
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
So KD will decide by end of tomorrow/early monday morning and GS can match Barnes and Mavs look even dumber.
Mavs have nothing to lose and too much cap space. What else are you going to do with it?

I agree about not overpaying for mediocrity, and Barnes is that. The one huge plus is that he is young enough to take the risk on.

And once again, what else are you going to do with dry powder?

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:18 AM   #302
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, the FO knows the fans are completely trashing their idea of an offseason plan. They are a complete joke since july 1 and more or less the laughing stock of the NBA. I think the Barnes thing is an attempt to take some heat off them while they scramble to fix this.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:43 AM   #303
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

N
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:43 AM   #304
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

A quick disclaimer for those who don't know me so my rant has a little context: I've been as stubborn a supporter of Plan Powder as anyone for several years running. I didn't like but understood the MBT breaking up the title team. Year after year I admired Carlisle and the front office for squeezing blood from a stone with these undesirable misfits we signed, and summer after summer I convinced myself this was the year we were finally landing that big fish and it would make all of the relative mediocrity worth it. I've said all along that when the prime Dwight Howards and Chris Pauls and Chris Boshs become available as free agents and might take a meeting with you, you have to shape your roster accordingly to make sure you can squeeze them into your cap space by any means necessary short of parting ways with Dirk.

That said, I think it's extremely likely that Golden State matches this offers because I see Durant staying in OKC. I have managed to talk myself into this signing though, I'm sorry to report.

I get that Barnes is far from a value signing. Even as a guy coming off of his rookie contract that has been deep in the playoffs (and occasionally playing well on the big stage), this is a straightforward, old-fashioned overpay. I think we can all agree that with the salary basement ballooning up to $84.7M, we are bound to overpay to get someone to come to what is a fairly undesirable situation: years upon years of roster turnover, first round exits, public disputes with high-profile players, and a very underwhelming peformance in drafts, to say the least.

I agree that in an ideal world, we get a guy like Barnes for $16-18M in this market. If Barnes was on the career trajectory of Evan Turner, that's probably what he would cost. But like it or not, team success does a lot for players' reputations and can inflate cost (different from value). If we want to get players who were cogs in hugely successful organizations to leave that organization, we'll only do it by spending considerably more than the incumbent team will; part of great team success is making calculated roster moves that are really hard to get right all of the time.

At least Barnes is young. He's very experienced for a younger player and I'm confident that Carlisle will give him an opportunity to be successful here. If Barnes totally falls on his face here, his salary shouldn't be prohibitive if we try to move him.

At this point, what is the alternative? Even those of us here who agree the off-season is already a disaster would have to agree that a year of the same old washed up veterans that no one wants that come here and outperform expectations are still ultimately washed up players that shouldn't be part of our long term plans. If we're going to meet that salary basement, we might as well roll the dice on slightly riskier guys instead of the same old journeymen players almost nobody else wants.

Zaza was great for most of last year, but I would sign ten Dewayne Dedmons before I wasted another year on Zaza. He isn't good enough right now to help get us anywhere and he's on his way down. At least signing a Dedmon can be the personnel version of a productive out.

And at this point, he's my favorite player in the history of this sport and I'll love him until the day I die, but Dirk shouldn't plan to stick around unless he's okay with being a low seed at the very most. We don't have the resources or the organizational clout we need to lure top shelf free agents here right now. Instead of Plan Powder, we just need to identify guys we can actually compete for and make them plan A.

Barnes represents at least the possibility of a paradigm shift in our front office (much like the signing of Erick Dampier, which made retaining Nash much more challenging, if not virtually impossible... but was step one in a twenty step plan that transformed the identity of this organization). In free agency, we should be the team looking for the under-the-radar free agents that are that way not because of their advanced age, but because of potential that may not be recognized by others that was also not fully tapped into by the players' previous team.

TL;DR Barnes might absolutely suck but at least we're trying something new
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:26 AM   #305
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

If I'm not mistaken, Barnes can't sign the offer sheet (officially) until July 7th, so that's when the three-day clock for GS to match would start...so we are, as of today, probably a week away from knowing if we get Barnes. Meanwhile, half our cap space is tied up in that offer.

I can't even watch anymore.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #306
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Barnes can't sign the offer sheet (officially) until July 7th, so that's when the three-day clock for GS to match would start...so we are, as of today, probably a week away from knowing if we get Barnes. Meanwhile, half our cap space is tied up in that offer.

I can't even watch anymore.
Because there are alternatives on the market we are losing out on?
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #307
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I srsly feel this has almost no chance of happening. Even if GSW's felt like they could be slightly strapped next off season I don't think it would be hard for them to trade Barnes next off season if need be. Cap goes up again and already we are seeing guys like Mozgov get 16m a year deals. So Barnes at 22 and yet another cap spike? I don't really see it as much of an issue if they really did need to make room. So why not go ahead and match the offer and put the best team on the court this season as possible(outside of Durant pipe dream)?

Putting aside the almost 0% chance of this happening, I'm not opposed to Barnes even at that price for what I stated above. I don't think it would be hard to move him and if the NBA is giving guys like Mozgov, Noah, Ryan Anderson 16-20m and another cap rise on the horizon then Barnes at 22 isn't unmovable. But if he were to be a Maverick next season I'd want him to be given a role of a guy with a semi green light, like 12-15 shots a game green(srsly). In college he was a scorer, he needed to pick his spots better and needed to look for his teammates more but he was a guy looking to score. So far with GSW's he's been nowhere near that role. He's not a playmaker at all, he can't really create his own shot or one for someone else so I wouldn't expect that at all. But if the shot is there, or he has a mismatch to post up or take a mid range then I want him to have the green light to do so. If his role is to stand in the corner and shoot 8-10 shots a game, like our other recent wings, then I hate this.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #308
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

So realistically speaking, with us most likely NOT getting Barnes, is there ANY chance we will actually tank to get in the top 5 of next year's draft? Trade Mathews for a 1st and perhaps a contract?
Old 07-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #309
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
So realistically speaking, with us most likely NOT getting Barnes, is there ANY chance we will actually tank to get in the top 5 of next year's draft? Trade Mathews for a 1st and perhaps a contract?
Until I see a statement from MBT eluding to a tank I'm going to assume we end up doing the usual. Getting guys on short term deals who want to turn their value around. Guys like Jennings/Lawson/Vasquez at point, guys like Hibbert at C and then picking off the scrap heap at who falls through the cracks for bargain deals like Cole Aldrich and if we are lucky maybe someone like Matt Barnes falls through the cracks. But with Deng getting what he got I have no idea why Barnes wouldn't be paid.

Also I don't think Iron Man can get a 1st right now, even if we took something back. I think only way we trade Wes is if his value turns around before trade deadline. I just can't see a scenario where a team gives us a 1st for Wes coming off his worst year as a pro.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #310
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

I forgot about RFA's. I suppose Portland could get tied up with Crabbe/Leonard/Harkless all being RFA's so maybe we throw an offer at one of them if they are getting stretched thin. Also guys like Zeller(Tyler) and Plumlee(Miles) and of course Ezeli. I think some people like Motiejunas from Houston also but he has a back or something that cause the trade with Detroit to fall through.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 07-03-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:48 AM   #311
Melonhead
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Mavs have nothing to lose and too much cap space. What else are you going to do with it?

I agree about not overpaying for mediocrity, and Barnes is that. The one huge plus is that he is young enough to take the risk on.

And once again, what else are you going to do with dry powder?
No I'm totally fine with getting him. At least we'd be overpaying for someone near Parsons level. I just think we're not getting him.

And it could be just a ploy to take some heat off of them see we went after our Plan B all along it just didn't work out.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #312
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I like Barnes but I may be in the majority here when I hope GSW matches
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:23 AM   #313
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I like Barnes but I may be in the majority here when I hope GSW matches

Why though? Id much rather use our money on Barnes and hope with a more consistent role he develops into a solid player as opposed to using it on some tired retreads. Everyone is overpaying and spending money and the Mavs are in no position to be penny pinchers.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:34 AM   #314
sefant77
Guru

Considering the new cap numbers, the Barnes max deal is pretty much like Parsons 15m max two years ago...
Old 07-03-2016, 11:04 AM   #315
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Why though? Id much rather use our money on Barnes and hope with a more consistent role he develops into a solid player as opposed to using it on some tired retreads. Everyone is overpaying and spending money and the Mavs are in no position to be penny pinchers.
I have two issues with Barnes

1) he plays SF which is Andersons natural position, meaning we'd yet again screw a young talent who has shown flashes of stardom. How many times have we seen amazing potential from youth and either traded the youth away or signed/traded for a guy who starts over them and takes their minutes?

2) he makes us better but not better enough to contend. We're going to get stuck in that 25-40 wins rut where we have crappy draft position and no hype to get more FAs. We also have zero trade assets, but if the past is any indication, well just trade Anderson for some old stiff. We really hate youth. I mean Barnes is young but we hate retaining promising kids.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:21 AM   #316
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

Quote:

1) he plays SF which is Andersons natural position, meaning we'd yet again screw a young talent who has shown flashes of stardom. How many times have we seen amazing potential from youth and either traded the youth away or signed/traded for a guy who starts over them and takes their minutes?

2) he makes us better but not better enough to contend. We're going to get stuck in that 25-40 wins rut where we have crappy draft position and no hype to get more FAs. We also have zero trade assets, but if the past is any indication, well just trade Anderson for some old stiff. We really hate youth. I mean Barnes is young but we hate retaining promising kids.
Fair points. I'm all for finding our way into the top 5 picks next year.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 07-03-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:07 PM   #317
sefant77
Guru

My guess is Barnes would back up Dirk at PF. So Simba could get his 24+min at SF with no problem

Last edited by sefant77; 07-03-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:16 PM   #318
stuportremens

stuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to allstuportremens is a name known to all
Default This is just stupid

The Mavs need to get a plan how to go forward from here.

It's obvious we don't manage to sign star FA's, the best signings we manage are operpaid 2nd/3rd-tier stars which aren't even All-Stars but need max money to come here (see Parsons, Barnes).

With that kind of signing, you're never going to go anywhere, unless you already have a core of top tier-talent and the overpaid 2nd/3rd tier is the missing piece that pushes you over the top.

Unfortunately, we don't have that top caliber talent any more since Dirk exited his prime, and the results are obvious: mediocrity is the ceiling. And the way this offseason is going, we'll probably be missing the playoffs anyway, but still be not bad enough to get a high draft pick.

The only realistic way to get out of this is to tank for a while and rebuild through the draft.

It pains me to say it, but at this point, it might be a better idea for Dirk AND the Mavs if Dirk went to some contender for the remaining years of his career. That way Dirk can play some meaningful games and maybe contend for and win a championship while the Mavs can get hugh picks and hopefully draft some top talent to start(s) another cycle.

Dirk staying here will only result in him and the Mavs being stuck in mediocrity and not being able to take a step forward. The only positive that can come out of it is the "1 team player" tag - but what meaning does it have when team and player arrive at a point where it would benefit both if they parted ways?

Last edited by stuportremens; 07-03-2016 at 12:19 PM.
stuportremens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #319
DoYouEvenLift

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuportremens View Post
The Mavs need to get a plan how to go forward from here.

It's obvious we don't manage to sign star FA's, the best signings we manage are operpaid 2nd/3rd-tier stars which aren't even All-Stars but need max money to come here (see Parsons, Barnes).

With that kind of signing, you're never going to go anywhere, unless you already have a core of top tier-talent and the overpaid 2nd/3rd tier is the missing piece that pushes you over the top.

Unfortunately, we don't have that top caliber talent any more since Dirk exited his prime, and the results are obvious: mediocrity is the ceiling. And the way this offseason is going, we'll probably be missing the playoffs anyway, but still be not bad enough to get a high draft pick.

The only realistic way to get out of this is to tank for a while and rebuild through the draft.

It pains me to say it, but at this point, it might be a better idea for Dirk AND the Mavs if Dirk went to some contender for the remaining years of his career. That way Dirk can play some meaningful games and maybe contend for and win a championship while the Mavs can get hugh picks and hopefully draft some top talent to start(s) another cycle.

Dirk staying here will only result in him and the Mavs being stuck in mediocrity and not being able to take a step forward. The only positive that can come out of it is the "1 team player" tag - but what meaning does it have when team and player arrive at a point where it would benefit both if they parted ways?
Regardless of how we feel what Dirk should do reports are he wants to stay. He goes down with the sinking ship, he keeps the captain company while the ship is sinking.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #320
yahyes
Banned

yahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud ofyahyes has much to be proud of

Quote:

Well at least we'll be set at SF and have added size for our backcourt with Anderson being able to shift to SG. If this goes through, our "trade assets" get better with having Wes next season. So if you think ahead for the future it makes sense paying him than brittle Parsons.
yahyes is offline   Reply With Quote