Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 10-14-2003, 08:19 AM   #1
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shaq heel injury

Shaq's heel has been hurting for 2 weeks now,
and it is getting worse. I guess carrying 350+lbs
takes a toll after awhile.

I would post the official press release but I'm having
systems problems today.----somebody please post, THANKS
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2003, 08:21 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shaq heel injury

Monday, October 13, 2003

Associated Press
EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- Shaquille O'Neal has a bruised heel left, an MRI disclosed Monday.

O'Neal requested an MRI on his aching left heel Monday because it hasn't improved since he injured it more than two weeks ago.

"I'm really not concerned at all about the injury," Los Angeles Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "I'm very surprised that he's got this type of an injury. Those are things that usually are minor."

O'Neal participated in some half-court drills Monday, while Kobe Bryant only ran a bit as he continues rehabbing from offseason knee surgery.

"It's a disappointment for Shaq, if he's worked as hard as we've heard he's worked this summer to be in condition, that we haven't been able to build on that conditioning for the season," Jackson said.

The Lakers will hold a shootaround Tuesday in El Segundo before heading to San Diego for an exhibition game against Phoenix that night.

Jackson said he thinks O'Neal will play against the Suns. Bryant, however, isn't expected to play. He has to be back in Colorado on Wednesday for the second part of a preliminary hearing on the rape charges against him.

"Hopefully, he'll play a game before this week is up," Jackson said.

Bryant's next chance to get into his first preseason game will come Thursday and Friday when the Lakers host Cleveland, Phoenix and the Clippers in a four-team round-robin event.

Rookie Brian Cook will have surgery Tuesday to repair a fracture dislocation of his left ring finger. He is expected to be out a minimum of six weeks.

Cook, a first-round draft pick out of Illinois, averaged 1.5 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.5 assists in 12 minutes in two preseason games.

Horace Grant is finding that his comeback is tougher than expected. He rested Monday because of a tight hip flexor, which Jackson attributed to "a little bit of creakiness going on."

Grant, 38, hasn't played since being released by the Orlando Magic last December. He played only five games with them last season.

"He'll find his way," Jackson said. "There may be situations where he'll miss a game here or there."

Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 08:22 AM   #3
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Shaq heel injury

Edit: Just realized it's already posted in the other Shaq thread.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:25 AM   #4
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all
Default Shaq heel injury

It really doesn't look too good for the Lakers. Shaq will be bothered by his heel all season. Kobe, well you know Kobe. Grant will probably just be get paychecks without playing a game. The weird thing is that the Payton and Malone might be the reliable ones. Two players that thought they could ride the coat tails of Shaq and Kobe, might have to do some real playing after all. Kobe and Shaq might be hitching to their wagon for the majority of the season.
Old 10-14-2003, 08:32 AM   #5
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about
Default Shaq heel injury

Can't say I feel bad for the guy, I hate those damn Lakers!
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 09:49 AM   #6
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Shaq heel injury

Maybe he hurt the heel the last time he stuck his foot in his mouth.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:32 AM   #7
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shaq heel injury

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Gosh darn, LRB. That was totally unexpected and hilarious. That really cheered me up
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:42 AM   #8
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road
Default Shaq heel injury

I guess he will have to hold off on his nuclear attack for a while.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:48 AM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shaq heel injury

it would be nice to actually address the article and the impact that it could have on the mavs, the lakers, the WEST, and the rest of the NBA.
I think the comedy club is in the lounge.
Old 10-14-2003, 11:50 AM   #10
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold
Default Shaq heel injury

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
it would be nice to actually address the article and the impact that it could have on the mavs, the lakers, the WEST, and the rest of the NBA.
I think the comedy club is in the lounge.

Party pooper. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2003, 11:52 AM   #11
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default Shaq heel injury

I also thought that was pretty funny, LRB. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:56 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Default Shaq heel injury

I agree that there's a time and place for one liners. Hell, 'perhaps' some of them could be looked upon as being funny. But, it would be nice to have something of a little more substance than just one liners every where....especially in the Mavs section and the around the NBA section.

but hey, that's just my humble opinion

A very, VERY high percentage of your posts since you've returned have been nothing but one liners. That's fine for the lounge, but come on..give us a little more than that in the basketball sections.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:02 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

Default Shaq heel injury

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
I agree that there's a time and place for one liners. Hell, 'perhaps' some of them could be looked upon as being funny. But, it would be nice to have something of a little more substance than just one liners every where....especially in the Mavs section and the around the NBA section.

but hey, that's just my humble opinion
And you're certainly entitled to your opinion Murph. If all the board was one liners, then it would be pretty worthless IMO. But personally I like a good mix, and that's my humble opinion.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:05 PM   #14
ReDIRKulous
Golden Member

ReDIRKulous is on a distinguished road
Default Shaq heel injury

I think these arguments are more of a distraction than a few one liners. I think the important thing is that the person making the one-liners is actually funny. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] But, hey... I am new here so my opinion is worth next to nothing. lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

One possible solution to the "friendly conversation debate" is to highlight "non" basketball discussions with an alternate color. This way you could skip throughthe "nonsense" if you wanted to. Just an idea thrown out there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
There is nothing wrong with criticizing a team if your points are valid. But most of the armchair coaches on this board talk pseudo-basketball-ese and make results oriented comments as if they actually have an understanding of the game at the pro level. Most of the comments are based on disappointment from unrealistic expectations or the most ludicrous notion that you sitting in your barc-o-lounger knows more about how to win basketball games than Nelson. Just not gonna happen, boysan.-TwoDeep3
ReDIRKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 01:22 PM   #15
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shaq heel injury

Quote:
I gotta say, LRB, this sounds like the Norm Dad Joke of the Week.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:46 PM   #16
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shaq heel injury

Since murph was kind enough to post the article
and help focus to "back to topic" I'll offer this.....

His lingering heel problem could have a huge impact
on the season...

If they stumble out of the gate, like they did last year,
it could add to the medis circus that will revlove around
Kobe. Shaq lumbering down the floor was bad enough already
if you add this ailment it will make him even slower.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 02:32 PM   #17
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shaq heel injury

it is a nice thought that the Lakers might stumble and bumble next season..esspecially after nearly every "knowledgeable writer" basically handed them the Championship...it may turn out that the additions of Payton and Malone may have to carry this team for streches of the season and not just bring the support...the question as always lies on one every big foot(toe or heel)....can Shaq bring it for real this season or will the big off season moves go all for not? Oh dear magic basketball faries please bring down LA....I just love to see them cry..or whine...one way or another, they were overrated...can't we all just see the chemistry problems flair when their are not enough shots to go around??? or am i just freaken crazy

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 03:56 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

Default Shaq heel injury

Call me a skeptic, but I just wondering why this injury became such a big deal to Shaq right after he demanded a contract extention and didn't get a positive response from Laker management. Is this an attention getting ploy? I seriously have to ask this. Although at 1st it would seem this would hurt his chances to get an extention, maybe that's not how Shaq sees it. Just a thought.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:35 PM   #19
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shaq heel injury

An interesting thought, LRB. I think he'd probably be better off proving that he's NOT injury prone if he wants an extension, but who knows.

Shaq just seems to me to be at the stage in his career (and at the physical size) where he will deal with nagging injuries, be they minor or serious, from now until the time he retires.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:48 PM   #20
Shaq Attack2

Shaq Attack2 is on a distinguished road
Default Shaq heel injury

Shaq got the MRI back on his heel, and the results were negative for any fractures, etc.

Phew, that was the Lakers season right there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quote:
Seriously, you could write material for standup. You’ve been on a roll for a while.
Shaq Attack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 04:52 PM   #21
LRB
Guru

Default Shaq heel injury

KG I totally agree with you about the injuries. I'm not surprised so much that Shaq had on as to the timing. It just seems that he would have known of the injury when he made his extention demands. Maybe he was hoping that the Lakers would make a quick offer. But maybe in his mind this is like the blue flu used by police who can't strike. But I would totally agree that IMO he would be best off showing that he is NOT injury prone. It's just that Shaq has done many things in the past which seemed to go against conventional wisdom.

The other thought that I had was this is part of try grab attentio since Kobe has been getting so much, howbeit very negative attention. I'm not sure about the game, but it sure smells to me like Shaq might be playing one.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:10 PM   #22
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road
Default Shaq heel injury

Shaq with an injured heel is still better than 90% of the centers playing out there. Plus with the additions of Payton and Malone, he won't be looked upon to do as much on the Court as he once did. Instead of trying to fight a double team to get a basket he can just force the double team and kick it off to an open Malone /Bryant/Payton for the easy jumper. Lakers are going to be a tough team to beat, I think the Mavs can hang with them though.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:12 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shaq heel injury

You can only ask a heel to do so much. Geez....how much does the guy wiegh now...even after the weight loss? 300+ pounds is going to wear on your joints. I am surprised he hasn't broken down much more often before now. These injuries usually cascade.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 05:04 PM   #24
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shaq heel injury

Quote:
"It's a disappointment for Shaq, if he's worked as hard as we've heard he's worked this summer to be in condition, that we haven't been able to build on that conditioning for the season," Jackson said.
It sounds like Phil's not quite convinced that Shaq and the Marine drill sergeant had as productive a summer as has been reported.