Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 12-04-2003, 10:08 AM   #1
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all
Default Was Just Wondering...

First off don't let this turn into a homer thread. If you think Dallas, please give your opinions why.

I am just curious as to how long the Magic will sit on their hands before they realize that the personel they got just aren't going to cut it. They have lost (17) games in a row in the Leastern Conference. I am just curious as to how long management waits. Obviously it wasn't Doc Rivers fault, so it next has to go to the Star player on the team.

So my question(s) now comes down to this: What team will Mcgrady be traded to? Which player(s) will go to the Magic? Will it be before the trade deadline or during the summer?

p.s. Please try to keep this thread on topic as I think it is a good topic.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2003, 10:22 AM   #2
jimmychipwood

jimmychipwood is on a distinguished road
Default RE:Was Just Wondering...

I think you're right. They have a big problem on their hands.

First you think, they can't trade McGrady, they've got to trade someone else. But they don't have enough to get somebody that will improve the team.

If they don't trade McGrady, I think he only has a year or two left before he can walk. Do you think they'll actually get that much better in a year or two through the draft and free-agency to keep McGrady from walking? Rod Thorn is not the GM their.

Orlando's going to want a good attitude, someone young that they can begin a rebuilding process around, maybe T-Mac for 'Melo and cap fodder ( w/Camby and Rodney White -TRADE ACCEPTED)?

Denver becomes a top 5 team in the West now and Orlando starts from scratch.

nbaunplugged.com
jimmychipwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:29 AM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE: Was Just Wondering...

Orlando won't trade McGrady. They'll get a top 3 pick in the draft, pick up some free agents, and go into next year with a better chance to compete. McGrady is NOT the problem. He is a legit star who's going to be the franchise player in Orlando for years. He won't walk because Orlando is a great town and the team can pay him more than anyone else.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 10:40 AM   #4
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

I went and took a shower after I posted this and was thinking. With the Zone Defenses as they are now, a team almost needs to have (2) legit scoring threats. Unfortunately I just can't come up with any team that would trade (2) guys salary wise that would make Orlando do the trade. So I started thinking about a star for a star trade. We all have heard about the Kobe - McGrady trade. Orlando wouldn't do it, neither would Lakeshow. The only team that I saw that could provide their star player and not really worry about it would be the Kings. They could trade Peja or Webber!

Webber trade:
Hes injury prone, so that might be the only reason that Orlando wouldn't do the trade. Well the more I look at it, would Webber make them any better that what they are doing now? Not to mention they already have Goodson and Howard there. So the Trade might be a Goodson/McGrady for Webber/Bobby Jackson? Sacramento would be scary with: Bibby, Mcgrady, Peja, Miller, and Divac.

Peja Trade
I haven't got the time to check the numbers so I don't know if a Peja/Mcgrady trade would work Salary wise. Wouldn't really make Orlando better with Peja, but would make Sacramento so much better with: Bibby, Mcgrady, Christie, Webber, and Miller.

Now that I think about it, I don't know if Orlando would do the Peja trade, but I think they might do the Webber trade!

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

Old 12-04-2003, 11:41 AM   #5
jimmychipwood

jimmychipwood is on a distinguished road

I don't think McGrady is the problem, I think Orlando being 1-17 is the problem.

So the question is, how do you turn the team around and give them a chance to contend.

Unless Grant Hill comes back full force, Orlando is at least 3-5 years away from championship contenion, and that's if everything goes perfectly.

IMO, you start over, and start putting a team together that you think has a chance to win a championship, instead of being like the Knicks and continually trying to plug the holes.

For Orlando, if Hill is done, and since McGrady can walk before they are even close to being contenders, and he has a repetitive back injury, it may be time to start over and look at a championship caliber team 5 years from now.

nbaunplugged.com
jimmychipwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:44 AM   #6
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

I really like this thread and there is one trade that I think helps both teams enough to do the deal.

McGrady/Grant Hill/DeClerk

for

Eddie Jones/Brian Grant/ and Miamis choice of Butler or Wade or unprotected 1st rounder

Miami gets a super star and will have 3 stud players in McGrady\Odom\Wade or Butler and a good pick coming this year. They have to eat grant hills salary but McGrady is worth more to a team than both Jones and Grant might actually play a little.

Orlando gets three really good players for 1 superstar, 1 roll player and 1 huge dead contract. Along with their top 6 pick, J. Howard and Gooden, they might be able to put something together.

Miami:

PG Odom
SG McGrady
SF Butler
PF Haslem
C Declerq

Not ideal up front, but Odom McGrady should be something to behold.

Orlando

PG Lue
SG Wade
SF Eddie Jones (can he play small, they might insist on Butler instead)
PF Howard\Gooden
C B. Grant

The weight of Grants contract is gone along with most hope of winning, but they did not have that before, now they can get the lottery pick and have room to move.

Other than that, they can move McGrady by himself to Atlanta or Memphis and get tons of players/picks/youth back. Another interesting team to trade with would be Detroit, except that Hamilton is BYC so a third party with cap would need to get involved or just take Sura. Prince, Darko, Williamson, a pick, and Sura would be enticing. Chicago would probably give Chandler and Curry and a bad contract.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 07:53 PM   #7
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Orlando won't trade McGrady. They'll get a top 3 pick in the draft, pick up some free agents, and go into next year with a better chance to compete. McGrady is NOT the problem. He is a legit star who's going to be the franchise player in Orlando for years. He won't walk because Orlando is a great town and the team can pay him more than anyone else.

Great post ape. McGrady is not the problem, look elsewhere.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #8
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

hehe.......Hmmm all day and nobody posted a Finley/Walker for McGrady/Hill trade? Thought for sure I would see it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-04-2003, 09:18 PM   #9
dirkformvp

dirkformvp is on a distinguished road

why would you do that trade when hill doesnt even play anymore because of his ankle, maybe walker for mcgrady.
dirkformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2003, 11:32 PM   #10
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Because you would have a starting lineup of: Nash, McGrady, Jamison, Dirk, and Bradley

Or a lineup of: Nash, McGrady, Howard, Jamison, and Dirk

But this trade idea has been hammered to death and was suprised not to see it already posted in this thread. As to why I put If you think Dallas, please give your opinions why. as I thought it would have already been posted in here by the end of the day.

Old 12-05-2003, 01:11 AM   #11
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Grant Hill needs to be moved if Hill agreed to be bought out to the next team he and T-Mac could be packaged together. The mavs have depth at small forward and guard with finley, walker, howard, and Jamison.

Finley and Walker or Jamison for T-Mac and Grant Hill. An elite player is hard to come by, and lets face it the only way the Magic get better is to trade their best player.

nash
t-mac
Jamison
Dirk
Bradley

Orlando:
spare pg.
Finley
Walker
Howard
Declerq
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 02:18 AM   #12
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

T-Mac will retire in Orlando......have to go with ape here....
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2003, 03:24 AM   #13
Tony tha Mavs fan

Tony tha Mavs fan is on a distinguished road

I dont see T-mac being traded anywhere , unless he forces it. A player of his talent doesnt come around that often and they should try everything they can to keep him there, unless they were to get Duncan or Shaq, or KG or someone like that in return.

I think the Magic should go out and find a quality Point Guard , and get another person who can put the rock in the basket consistantly other than T-mac and a head coach who can make them contenders