Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-31-2021, 09:19 PM   #37
Quantum

Quantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the rough

This Green/Minutes convo is pretty interesting. Yesterday I read a thread on RealGM about people complaining about LeMelo not starting/getting more minutes. Most people agreed that the kid needs more minutes and it doesnt make sense to stunt his growth by playing him lesser minutes than he can. Reps turn into learning the game quicker. I agree it makes sense.

But someone came in with the other side of the coin. They pointed to Josh Smith in Atlanta. The claimed(I am taking this to be truth...i have not done the research) that Smith came into the league with a not-so-good organization and they let him do whatever(he was hometown kid blah blah). He developed a bunch of bad habits that turned him into less than what he could have been. The argument is that if you dont have someone benching you for mistakes and riding your butt early in your career you could very well not reach your potential and be unplayable. I always remember hearing the Brain Surgeon analogy growing up...good surgeons(heart, brain, transplant) ride their students like a bad dream because you cant mess up. You mess up and its the patients life. If the surgeon belittles and upsets his student they will probably remember to dothe task right the next time.

I agree with both sides. I personally think playing time helps more in basketball. Its not a life threatening situation. These guys do get paid enough to get shamed by the coach though.

The question is...is Green making stupid mistakes? If so...do they warrant getting little to no playing time? If so...how much is no playing time stunting his growth?
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote