Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 01-12-2006, 08:09 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Magic suspend Francis indefinitely

Magic suspend Francis indefinitely

By TRAVIS REED, Associated Press Writer
January 12, 2006

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) -- Steve Francis was suspended indefinitely by the Orlando Magic on Thursday for what the club said was "conduct detrimental to the team."

The team will have no further comment on the specifics of the suspension, Magic spokesman Joel Glass said. He said the star guard made the team flight from Seattle to Portland but left the team after he was suspended in the morning.

Glass said Francis will meet with coach Brian Hill and Magic executives after the team returns from its West Coast road trip Sunday or Monday. Orlando visits Sacramento on Sunday, then hosts Washington on Wednesday.

Francis is averaging 16.6 points, second on the team, and a team-high 5.4 assists.

The Magic (13-20) lost 113-104 in Seattle on Wednesday night, the team's fifth loss in its past six games. Francis scored 10 points in that game and 10 the night before in Orlando's 90-73 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers, and criticized the team's play after that game.

Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, did not immediately return a telephone message left at his office.

The guard was suspended for three games by the NBA late last season for kicking a courtside photographer at Seattle. Orlando fined Francis an undisclosed amount last season after missing a practice following the All-Star break.

He was fined $25,000 after using profanity during a halftime interview at a nationally televised game while playing for Houston in March 2004. He also was suspended one game without pay for missing the Rockets' flight to Phoenix in February 2004.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm curious what he did. What a doofus. Do these guys not understand how fortunate they are to make a living playing a game?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Stevie Franchise is an idiot. Always has been an idiot. Always will be an idiot.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

No doubt...he's got issues. That being said I hope they can trade him so he can start putting up numbers somewhere...he's killing my fantasy team.

On the other hand, has anybody noticed how Jameer Nelson's been playing for the past couple of weeks? I thought he was a Tim Hardaway starter kit when he left St Joe's and it looks like he's starting to firgue it out.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:07 AM   #5
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

(just a little more info as to why he was suspended)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2289923

Report: Francis refused to re-enter game
ESPN.com news services

ORLANDO, Fla. -- Steve Francis was suspended indefinitely by the Orlando Magic on Thursday for what the club said was "conduct detrimental to the team."

Francis' refusal to re-enter Wednesday night's Magic-Seattle SuperSonics game led the team to suspend the guard indefinitely, The Orlando Sentinel reported Thursday on its Web site.

The newspaper reported that according to team sources, Francis refused coach Brian Hill's decision to send him back into the game with 3:22 left and the Magic trailing 103-87. Stacey Augmon went into the game instead for Hedo Turkoglu, who had fouled out.

That capped a stretch of games in which Francis had complained about the team's offense and appeared disinterested during play, leading the Magic to finally take action, according to the report.

Hill declined comment on Francis, telling the Sentinel "it's a team matter."

Assistant general manager Otis Smith said several meetings between he, Hill and Francis did not uncover what has been bothering the three-time All Star.

"Steve told me he's thinking too much [on the floor]," Smith told the newspaper. "Other than that, I really don't know."

The team will have no further comment on the specifics of the suspension, Magic spokesman Joel Glass said. He said the star guard made the team flight from Seattle to Portland but left the team after he was suspended in the morning.

Smith told the Sentinel the news was "not a complete shock" to Francis and that he "took it like a pro. Is he down? Yes."

Glass said Francis will meet with Hill and Magic executives after the team returns from its West Coast road trip Sunday or Monday. Orlando visits Sacramento on Sunday, then plays host to Washington on Wednesday.

Francis is averaging 16.6 points, second on the team, and a team-high 5.4 assists.

The Magic (13-20) lost 113-104 in Seattle on Wednesday night, the team's fifth loss in its past six games. Francis scored 10 points in that game and 10 the night before in Orlando's 90-73 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers, and criticized the team's play after that game.

Francis' agent, Jeff Fried, did not immediately return a telephone message left at his office.

The guard was suspended for three games by the NBA late last season for kicking a courtside photographer at Seattle. Orlando fined Francis an undisclosed amount last season after missing a practice following the All-Star break.

He was fined $25,000 after using profanity during a halftime interview at a nationally televised game while playing for Houston in March 2004. He also was suspended one game without pay for missing the Rockets' flight to Phoenix in February 2004.

Asked what he expected of Francis when he returned, Smith said, "I expect the old Steve Francis ... playing with the some passion, like he loves the game. I don't expect anything less and he shouldn't expect anything less."

dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
WayOutWest
Golden Member

WayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the roughWayOutWest is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
No doubt...he's got issues. That being said I hope they can trade him so he can start putting up numbers somewhere...he's killing my fantasy team.
Tell me about it, he was my top PG pick. It's up to Tony Parker and Mike James to hold down the PG spot for my fantasy team.

"Lakers hate causes blindness"
WayOutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000

On the other hand, has anybody noticed how Jameer Nelson's been playing for the past couple of weeks? I thought he was a Tim Hardaway starter kit when he left St Joe's and it looks like he's starting to firgue it out.

I really thought Jameer Nelson was going to be a pretty good player. He doesn't necessarily possess the star power and probably never will, but I think he has a long enjoyable productive NBA career.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote