Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-14-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough
Default RE:Texas Rangers may make move for Roger Clemens

Clemens rules out returning as player

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- With thoughts of an Olympic medal now gone, Roger Clemens insisted his retirement will go forward as planned.

"No scenario," Clemens said Wednesday when asked what might entice him to pitch next season. "I'm retired.

"I'll come back and be a really expensive batting practice pitcher and then, if somebody goes down, then they can work on me."

The future Hall of Famer acknowledged that he had thoughts of pitching for the U.S. Olympic baseball team before the defending gold-medal champions were eliminated from a qualifying tournament in Panama last week.

"I'm shaking my head just like everyone else that they're going to have an Olympics and we, the United States, is not going to be represented there," Clemens said. "That's kind of a shame."

An Olympic medal is about the only thing missing from Clemens' resume. He is baseball's only six-time Cy Young Award winner, 17th on the all-time list with 310 victories and third with 4,099 strikeouts. He also has two World Series rings from his time with the New York Yankees.

Clemens said that his agents wanted to make him available as a free agent -- his name was officially filed last week -- but the plan didn't get far.

"I heard that and immediately my four boys picked up my option and said 'You're staying here,' " Clemens said.

And on Andy Pettite.........Like I have said before, according to insider sources with the Yankees up here in NYC, expect Pettite to come to Texas..............Houston that is to be close to his family like close buddy Roger Clemens has chosen to do.

Plus, Pettite's signing with the Astros would enable Pettite to be close to his friend Clemens too, who lives across town on the west side.

--------------------------------

Plus, my bet is on A-Rod going to the Red Sox, who are looking to "out-spend" my Yankees in order to ultimately beat my Yankees..........who do these wise guys think they are?

Out spend my Yanks...........smart move. I mean, it really worked well for us this season when you consider our $200 million dollar payroll got NO-HIT by a "six-pack" of Astro pitchers and beaten in the World Series by a Marlins team that costs less then half of our payroll.

This would be an incredibly wise move by Hicks to move A-Rod's ENOURMOUS contract for more players you could build a winning franchise around of.

Think about it...........which would you have?

A great player in A-Rod...............or a great World Series Championship winning TEAM like the Marlins?

I'd take the championship over any player (even Babe Ruth, Mark McGuire) any day of the week.