Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 11-06-2003, 12:22 PM   #1
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default Rank the Best QB's in Carters Draft Class

1. Michael Vick Virginia Tech Falcons Round 1
2. Drew Brees Purdue Chargers Round 1
3. Quincy Carter * Georgia Cowboys Round 2
4. Marques Tuiasosopo Washington Raiders Round 2
5. Jesse Palmer Florida Giants Round 4
6. Chris Weinke Florida St. Panthers Round 4
7. Sage Rosenfels Iowa St. Redskins Round 4
8. Mike McMahon Rutgers Lions Round 5
9. A.J. Feeley Oregon Eagles Round 5
10. Josh Heupel Oklahoma Dolphins Round 6
11. Josh Booty * LSU Seahawks Round 6

Jerry Jones was right after all, he picked the second best QB in the 2001 Draft. Only Tuiasosopo has a chance to be better than Qunicy.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2003, 01:44 PM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rank the Best QB's in Carters Draft Class

brees looks inconsistent this year, but i'd say that he could be better than quincy as well.

mcmahon has never really truly gotten a shot. he plays decent when he's in there. and feeley looked good when he played. are they better than quincy? no.
Old 11-06-2003, 03:44 PM   #3
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of
Default RE:Rank the Best QB's in Carters Draft Class

What happened to Weinke? I haven't heard a peep about him since early last year...
Old 11-06-2003, 04:13 PM   #4
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

I really like Tuiasosopo. The Raiders did the right thing in bringing him along slowly. I bet he comes out next year and really does well.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 04:15 PM   #5
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

Ony Mike Vick is better now, and Vick is probably the only one who will continue to be better than Quincy. Quincy is, and will be better than those other guys IMO.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:58 PM   #6
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

IMO Quincy is doing way better than Vick this year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2003, 10:59 PM   #7
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

looking at how everyone has panned out after the 1st 4, you can see why Jones pulled the trigger too early.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:27 AM   #8
bogey
Banned

bogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the roughbogey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Just211
IMO Quincy is doing way better than Vick this year [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Good one Just211. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:57 AM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

This is a real interesting way of looking at Quincy, which I hadn't thought about. I think it will be more interesting to look at that list after next year when Vick is healthy, the other guys play more, Brees has a new head coach (likely), and Quincy has another year of experience under his belt (probably).

Still
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 12:50 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, Marques Tuiasosopo will probably have significantly more PT by the end of next year. Perhaps he could prove to be a solid NFL QB...

What it shows in my opinion is that the draft class just wasn't that great for QB's
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:45 PM   #11
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
What it shows in my opinion is that the draft class just wasn't that great for QB's
Saying it's not great is an understatement. But, it also proves that Quincy may have been picked at just the right point on the draft.

kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 05:15 PM   #12
Fah Q
Golden Member

Fah Q is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: kingrex
Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Saying it's not great is an understatement. But, it also proves that Quincy may have been picked at just the right point on the draft.
Ahead of Marques Tuiasosopo? I think not.

Not to mention that we could've gotten Q in the 3rd or 4th round. Think of what other positions we could've filled in the 2nd.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:36 PM   #13
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Would Tui really do better than QCar for Bill Parcells? Okay maybe he would.

Well, then maybe someone else would have grabbed QCar before we picked in the 3rd round? Okay maybe you have me there too.

F me then. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2003, 08:41 PM   #14
QCarFan
Golden Member

QCarFan can only hope to improve

Quincy is better than Marques Tuiasosopo, period!
Old 11-08-2003, 12:10 AM   #15
Fah Q
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: QCarFan
Quincy is better than Marques Tuiasosopo, period!
You say that like you have some authority over who is better. I'll just say that I would prefer Tuiasosopo on my team.

But my biggest point was that we could've filled another position in the 2nd round and drafted Q in the 3rd or 4th.
Old 11-08-2003, 12:27 AM   #16
Fah Q
Golden Member

Here's some players we could've had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

2nd Rd - 27th pick - HB - Travis Henry
2nd Rd - 30th pick - DT - Shaun Rogers
3rd Rd - 12th pick - WR - Steve Smith
3rd Rd - 16th pick - CB - Will Peterson
3rd Rd - 17th pick - OL - Kareem McKenzie
3rd Rd - 18th pick - HB - Kevan Barlow
3rd Rd - 22nd pick - CB - Dwight Smith

I will say one thing though, after looking at the entire draft for 2001. We're lucky that the cowboys have anyone left on the roster from that year. That draft class really sucked except for a few bright spots.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:43 AM   #17
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

Tui's knee is injured, so he will have to wait for another year to prove he is a good Quarterback.

Just realize if we did not take QCar with the 2nd pick and a 5 year contract as a result, we would have to had give a huge signing bonus to Qcar to sign up with the cowboys next year. We may have had a potential Brian Griese situation in Dallas. Who knows may be Qcar is a flash in the pan.
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 11:25 PM   #18
steponhens

steponhens is on a distinguished road

I still don't think Quincy is a very good QB. If you just base your thinking on how good the QB's have done in getting their team to win AJ Feely would have to be higher than Carter. The Cowboys are winning on defense and to feel Quincy is a good QB is wrong.

Napolean: Whatever I feel like! God!
steponhens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2003, 11:49 PM   #19
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FishForLunch
Tui's knee is injured, so he will have to wait for another year to prove he is a good Quarterback.

Just realize if we did not take QCar with the 2nd pick and a 5 year contract as a result, we would have to had give a huge signing bonus to Qcar to sign up with the cowboys next year. We may have had a potential Brian Griese situation in Dallas. Who knows may be Qcar is a flash in the pan.
I dont' think you'd have to give him a huge contract by any means. He has not proven that he can consistently play at an NFL level through two and a half years. He's improving but he still has a long ways to go.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 03:50 PM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

fah q, you are dead on. that was the beef with jones and the pick originally. that carter could have been had in the later rounds, and dallas could have drafted other players (not necessarily the QBs mentioned above) instead.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:41 PM   #21
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Still the doubters to quincy's ability. Well hes managed games and the cowboys are 7-2 who woulda thunk it. The guy that most people had on the way out, is winning games.

Drew Brees with a good running attack and his chargers are 1-7. Marques has just looked like another name for Oakland. No one else on that list is worth even mentioning.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003, 04:50 PM   #22
kingrex
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: jayC
Still the doubters to quincy's ability. Well hes managed games and the cowboys are 7-2 who woulda thunk it. The guy that most people had on the way out, is winning games.

Drew Brees with a good running attack and his chargers are 1-7. Marques has just looked like another name for Oakland. No one else on that list is worth even mentioning.
No doubt that Quincy deserves some accolade this year. But don't confuse Parcell's max protect system and Quincy's improvement in preparing for games as ability. Quincy does not compare ability-wise to Brees and Tui. He's not as strong and not as gifted a passer.

Having said that, he has made more of himself than the other two, and right now I would rather have him than Brees and Tui. However, Quincy still lacks some tools the other 2 QB's have.

But, he does deserve praise for his preparation and his buying into the Parcell's system.