Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 01-19-2005, 12:35 PM   #41
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Publik Skule vs. Home School

Most of my teachers in my last two years of public school were not education majors. They were Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Literature majors. I was also allowed to take college credit classes on my High School's campus. My father is an Aerospace Engineering major and it took at least an hour for him to explain a Calculus problem that my teacher could explain in five minutes, because he would need to read and look at the answer solutions awhile to refresh his memory.

Also, all scientific theories (evolution included) were taught as THEORIES. My science teachers were always careful to point out that science is an evolving entity and everything we are taught is "as far as we know" or "the best guess we can make". Thinking for yourself was something nearly all of my teachers stressed, and people that stood up against the norms of the day (especially scientists) were promoted as heroes. Shielding your kids from ideas other than your own seems to me to be the absolute dumbest way to educate your kids.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #42
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of
Default RE:Publik Skule vs. Home School

Quote:
Originally posted by: FreshJive
Most of my teachers in my last two years of public school were not education majors. They were Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and Literature majors. I was also allowed to take college credit classes on my High School's campus. My father is an Aerospace Engineering major and it took at least an hour for him to explain a Calculus problem that my teacher could explain in five minutes, because he would need to read and look at the answer solutions awhile to refresh his memory.

Also, all scientific theories (evolution included) were taught as THEORIES. My science teachers were always careful to point out that science is an evolving entity and everything we are taught is "as far as we know" or "the best guess we can make". Thinking for yourself was something nearly all of my teachers stressed, and people that stood up against the norms of the day (especially scientists) were promoted as heroes. Shielding your kids from ideas other than your own seems to me to be the absolute dumbest way to educate your kids.
That's awesome, but it is also the exception. Mostly schools shield your children from any ideas other than the ones mandated by the school board.

You are right though. Homeshcooling your own children to only one perspective is just as bad. But, that's the beauty of home school--you can do whatever you want (or need), and you can probably do it better than the public school, in most cases.

I think the reality is that homeschool is not for every family or every member of every family. Neither is public school, private school, or charter school. But people should be encouraged to find what is right for your children. Public school needs to be privatized to some degree to allow competition.

Right now, the focus of Pubic school is government control. If the focus was on the end result of educated kids, we would not have as much opposition to school vouchers, and other creative solutions.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #43
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You are right though. Homeshcooling your own children to only one perspective is just as bad. But, that's the beauty of home school--you can do whatever you want (or need), and you can probably do it better than the public school, in most cases.
I don't buy that. Sure, maybe some parents can do a better job than public schools, but I don't believe that the average parent can do a better job on the whole...Perhaps you just hang out in a more exclusive circle than the average American.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #44
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I would ask for statistics showing how well the US government-run school systems are doing compared to others. Something is stinkin' in denmark.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #45
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
I don't buy that. Sure, maybe some parents can do a better job than public schools, but I don't believe that the average parent can do a better job on the whole...Perhaps you just hang out in a more exclusive circle than the average American.
Maybe I do. I'm really thinking about the parents who decide to home school. Of that group, most do a better job than the public school system can.

But I think that is a result of so many generations outsourcing thier child's education. It becomes the only way known to operate. I would say that if home schooling was established 2 generations ago as a norm, our country would be more educated. Maybe in two generations we will be.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:58 AM   #46
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: jacktruth
Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Maybe I do. I'm really thinking about the parents who decide to home school. Of that group, most do a better job than the public school system can.

But I think that is a result of so many generations outsourcing thier child's education. It becomes the only way known to operate. I would say that if home schooling was established 2 generations ago as a norm, our country would be more educated. Maybe in two generations we will be.

Sure...I can see what you're getting at. Obviously, I was just speaking about parents in general.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:27 PM   #47
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

very interesting topic...how many members do we have who were or have home schooled? Smiles, kg, dude, Jacktruth....anyone else?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote