Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-20-2007, 10:36 AM   #1
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default A Serious remake of the Mavs for 2007-2008

The mission: Address the three main weaknesses of last year's Mavs without destroying the core of the team (that's Dirk, Howard & Harris IMHO).

Step 1:

Trade the trade exception received for Anthony Johnson plus a 2nd round pick for Sarunas Jasikevicius. Jasikevicius hasn't and won't play in Golden State, so this deal saves Golden State a little money and offers them some value in a 2nd round pick, either this year or next year.

Dallas gets an experienced point guard that knows how to run a team to back up Devin Harris, because Jason Terry is going out in the next trade and Harris is the point guard.

Step 2:

Trade with Portland: Dampier, Terry & Ager plus either the 2007 2nd round pick from Atlanta or the 2008 pick for Zach Randolph, Przybilla (or a resigned Magloire) and Martell Webster. Portland stacks up another draft pick and young prospect to go with what they've already got. Portland gets rid of Randolph, who doesn't fit in their system and one of its extra centers. Dampier helps protect Aldridge from the heavy work at center while he grows up and Terry provides a steadying influence and consistent outside shooting (or would if they don't send him to Seattle in a deal to get Rashard Lewis after 60 days).

Dallas gets a post threat; a back up center for Diop to play when it can't play Dirk and Randolph together and a young spot up shooter to help spread the court.

Step 3:

Sign the best available small forward or shooting guard with the MLE. Luke Walton; Desmond Mason; Eddie Jones; James Posey; Morris Peterson; Grant Hill. My choices would be, in order, Walton, Mason, Hill, Peterson, Jones Posey.

Step 4:

Resign Jerry Stackhouse. Let Croshere walk. Draft Petteri Kaponen and Brad Newley with the remaining second round picks (because I like anybody who plays for the Honka Playboys and because we haven't had an Australian for a while--in any event, draft big point guards or shooting guards or small forwards)

Team line up:

C: Diop, Przybilla or Magloire, Mbenga
PF: Dirk, Zach,
SF: Luke Walton, Buckner, Webster
SG: Howard, Stackhouse
PG: Harris, Jasikevicius

Remaining three or maybe keep only two go to the best of J.J. Barea, Pops, 2nd round draft picks, and any free agents invited to camp. Ideally, at least one point guard.

Dirk and Zach play together whenever you can get away with it defensively--maybe playing some zone when they both play with a center. Harris gets his chance to run the team. Walton and Jasikevicius help with passing and ball movement, and Dallas keeps at least four scorers and a decent sized backcourt on the floor at all times.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Spurs817

Spurs817 is infamous around these partsSpurs817 is infamous around these partsSpurs817 is infamous around these parts

zach of the bench huh? Would be nice for y'all but ain't never gonna happen, why on earth would any one trade a 20 and 10 guy for damp and terry? They already have someone who puts on similar numbers in Pryz and not for the stupid, sorry i'm mean the f***** ridiculous, outrageous money that damp is making. But the point on trading terry is right on because he's not a true pg and trade him while he's still got a high value. Getting a true post up threat is your main void with this team, because it gets Dirk easier shots
Spurs817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:04 AM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

There's a big problem with having your second best player play the same position as your best player. See Mavs 03-04 for evidence.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

Pryzibilla: 2.0 points, 3.9 rebounds in 43 games
Dampier: 7.1 points, 7.5 rebounds in 76 games

I'd call that a significant upgrade. The bigger issue for Portland, however, is that Aldridge needs big minutes next year at the power forward--he isn't physically developed enough yet to play big minutes at center. That means getting rid of Randolph and getting a center that can stay on the court some. That's not Pryzbilla. It's not Lafrenz and, for reasons I don't understand, Portland doesn't like Magloire.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

Default Not the same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubOverdose
There's a big problem with having your second best player play the same position as your best player. See Mavs 03-04 for evidence.
On offense, Randolph plays the post. Walker played outside--in Dirk's position. That was hopeless.

Jamison, at 6'9" 235 lbs. is 35 lbs. lighter than Randolph and a small forward.

You won't be able to play Dirk and Randolph together all the time--little shot blocking and defensive weaknesses, but the Mavs would have plenty of rebounding and enough strength not to get shoved around inside (which wasn't true of Dirk plus Walker or Jamison).

I think you could get them on the court together for at least 24 minutes per game, on average, and easily get them each 35 minutes per game.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

while i think this trade is good from a fantasy perspective, from a reality perspective, this is just terrible trying to get this exectuted.

unless you want to trot randolph out there as a C in this lineup, on D we would be obliterated and randolph has turned into more of a mid range jump shooting PF than a true back to the basket banger. he can still do it, but you have to cajole him into him.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #7
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I like it. Get it done Cubes
Old 05-20-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be worth considering.

It wouldn't be option #1 in my books, but it would be an option anyway.

I am not sure that you could play Dirk/Randolf together against many teams unless you play them with a Center. Dirk/Randolf/Diop might work, but not with Avery's offense because of the handles of the bigs. You would need an Adelman/Sloan type cutting offense where you could high/low post Randolf, and then cut Dirk off picks/Diop as backside "garbage" guy/pick setter.

I am not sure I like this idea because I am not sure Randolf would spend much time on the floor when Dallas plays GS or PX.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #9
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

Dirk & Zach>Okur & Boozer. If GS & Phnx don't double team low against Randolph with bigs, then he'd score every time. If they do, then Dirk would punish them from long range.

I do agree, however, that this would work best with the Princeton type offense that Portland used to play. (edit: I mean Sacramento--I was already thinking about Walton at Portland)

For those of you old enough, the Walton years at Portland or the Alvin Adams years at Kansas City are also great examples.

Last edited by SeriousSummer; 05-20-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer
Dirk & Zach>Okur & Boozer. If GS & Phnx don't double team low against Randolph with bigs, then he'd score every time. If they do, then Dirk would punish them from long range.

I do agree, however, that this would work best with the Princeton type offense that Portland used to play. (edit: I mean Sacramento--I was already thinking about Walton at Portland)

For those of you old enough, the Walton years at Portland or the Alvin Adams years at Kansas City are also great examples.
I agree, except that Boozer/Okur still had AK47 to defend the rim on the defensive end.

The offense would be good with Dirk/Randolf, but defending the drive without a truly athletic shot blocker I would think would keep Diop in the game.

Then if Diop is in the game, that limits the offense a little because whoever is guarding Diop will come off him to double Randolf.

I like the idea, but I think J ONeal would be a better option because he can play it on both ends of the floor.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 05-20-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Any lineup that makes Dirk your best low post defender is a horrible, horrible idea.

And having your second best player come off the bench is an even worse idea.

Sorry, I like the thought on a few of the other moves, but there's just no place on this team for a player like Randolph, unless he comes cheaply and is a bench player.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:57 PM   #12
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

I agree, Jermaine O'Neal would probably be better, especially on defense. But you can't make a trade work--or at least I can't.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I agree, Jermaine O'Neal would probably be better, especially on defense. But you can't make a trade work--or at least I can't.
That trade is JHO and Damp for JO. ( I think it costs this for Dallas to have a chance)

I think it will work, but with the BYC stuff, I haven't put numbers to paper.

Either way, it would cost alot. Problem is, if I am Indy, I am thinking send him to Phoenix for Marion, and several of those draft picks.

Indy with that change.
Harrison, Diogu, Marion, Granger, and drafting a PG.
Bench of Foster, Daniels, Dunleavy, Tinsley.

I must admit, if I was Indy, I'd be looking to move Murphy (maybe Dunleavy) with ONeal though, just to get rid of the bad contract(s).

Old 05-20-2007, 09:28 PM   #14
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
The mission: Address the three main weaknesses of last year's Mavs without destroying the core of the team (that's Dirk, Howard & Harris IMHO).

Step 1:

Trade the trade exception received for Anthony Johnson plus a 2nd round pick for Sarunas Jasikevicius. Jasikevicius hasn't and won't play in Golden State, so this deal saves Golden State a little money and offers them some value in a 2nd round pick, either this year or next year.
Step 1 doesn't work. The trade exception from the Johnson trade isn't big enough to cover Jasikevicius' salary.

Everything else was well thought out, although personally I'd avoid Zach Randolph like the plague if I were the Mavs. But I'm a Spurs fan so you therefore have my full endorsement of the idea. Randolph's a great talent, but he's not a team player, nor an intelligent one.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #15
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Randolph could/will go Tarpley at any moment.

No thanks.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #16
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

#1, trade terry!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 01:10 PM   #17
argo

argo is on a distinguished road

would Indy be interested in Zach rather than Damp. Lets say Zach and Terry for O'Neal.
that would mean Damp and filler (Buckner) for Zach. I agree that Damp would play well next to LaMarcus.

Also I don't think that O'Neal and Amare couldn't play together, they both play to close to the basket.

What about Damp to Indy for Diogu and Dunleavey if O'Neal is not moveable. They might do that to dump Dunleavey plus Damp would move O'Neal to PF and Damp would protect the lane.
argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

It's obvious the answer is to bring back the killer and post up small forwards.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #19
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

no to the trade

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #20
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
no to the trade
which trade?

also, with all the exit interview talk from terry...i have a feeling he is going nowhere next year.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 01:41 AM   #21
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
which trade?

also, with all the exit interview talk from terry...i have a feeling he is going nowhere next year.
the first trade of the thread.

and I agree with you, JET is not going anywhere...which sucks.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote