Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another Season of Disrespect...It Does Not Have to End This Way

Dear Mr. Cuban

Your Dallas Mavs are off to what is clearly a remarkable season, but no one who's zip code doesn't start with 75 even notices. The Mavs have swept Miami and Boston, and beaten the Lakers the only game they've played. Last week they held national media favorite Amare Stoudemire scoreless in the 2nd half of their showdown with the resurgent Knicks. I check out ESPN's Daily Dime and what do I see? Of the 10 articles there, 4 are about Lebron, and so is the video. Not even a mention of the Mavs. Two nights later, they beat Boston, the team leading the East... what do we see on the Weekend Dime? Nada. It takes a SuperBowl vacation. Eight straight wins after losing Caron Butler? It gets us crickets from the national press.

Hollinger ranks the Mavs 9th, even though they have played the toughest schedule. Not that the NBA did the Mavs any favors. Is it just coincidence that the teams with the weakest schedules are, from the bottom up, Atlanta, Lakers, Chicago, Miami and Boston... the teams a cynic would say the NBA most wants to get out to a hot start?

With so little national press, maybe only Mavs fans know the only reason the Mavs don't have the league's best record is that they lost their 2nd strongest scorer for the entire season, and the Uber-man for 8 games.

Is it because of the lack of playoff success, or the year the Mavs blew it in the finals? Probably both. And its likely to be this way until they win a championship.

So please, Mr Cuban. Make that big trade. Replace Caron with a legitimate big time scorer, no matter what it costs. This team is too close to lose in another 1st round because the opponent figures out what the Spurs know...all they have to do to win is shut down Jet. I don't care how many years Steven Jackson has left on his huge contract, or what it takes to rent Melo. Kevin Martin or Iggy would do too. Standing pat and hoping that Peja and/or Roddy are healthy and enough risks wasting another one of Dirks few remaining MVP quality years.

This is about more than winning a championship. Its the only way to get our respect back. Win the big one, and the financial rewards will more than foot the bill. Mark, you've done everything in your power so far to get us this far, and we love you for it. This is not a time to be penny smart and pound foolish. Its a time to roll the dice and invest in the future. Dirk and Jet and Tyson are clearly giving it their all. (I, too, have done my part by buying a season ticket package for 20 years.) So please dig deep and give us that 2nd scoring option that demands a double team. Just think how great it could be, celebrating on Miami's home court. The players, the fans, and you, Mr Cuban, deserve no less.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2011, 10:00 AM   #2
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Mr. G-Man

We love our boys in blue.

Sincerely yours,
Mark Cuban
xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

great post G-Man!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR

Last edited by 41mvp; 02-06-2011 at 10:09 AM.
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
She_Growls
Golden Member

She_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to allShe_Growls is a name known to all

I like your post G-Man! Cuban owes Dirk and he needs to make it happen. I say rent Melo..
She_Growls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #5
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by She_Growls View Post
I like your post G-Man! Cuban owes Dirk and he needs to make it happen. I say rent Melo..
Hell no! You don't slap that f ing idiot in the middle of this. One of my main reasons against that as far as on the court is, Melo doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself. He wants to be in New York so when the going gets tough and it's time to fight out of a hole in the playoffs or when your back is against the wall, you don't want a guy that is a rental to be locking arms with you. A guy that is most likely not even remotely interested in being back here no matter what he is offered. I just can't see him giving everything he has for the cause.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 AM   #6
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that I disagree with the OP entirely. You don't get anywhere by making bad trades just to make a trade. The Mavs need to continue to be in opportunistic trade mode, and if nothing comes along that upgrades our team for a reasonable price then we should be willing to sit pretty. Personally, I think all the pieces are currently in place to make a title run; it's up to Carlisle to figure out how to make them fit together.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #7
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

We'll if you can replace Caron and not involve Rod then you have to do that to fill his void in case Jet, JJB and Marions production falls off a bit in the playoffs.

Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #8
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Sorry for me question but who know what's mean ''Höhn''?

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #9
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Can the Mavs make a Cliff Lee type of trade?

In other words, get a bonafide superstar for chump change...A Star that is willing to give it his all for the Mavs, even on a rental basis?

Is there such a thing in the NBA? I know we keep hearing about Melo...but would he be willing to give it his all??? Is there anyone else possibly available that has some skins on the wall and proven he can perform in the Post Season?

Oh and while the Mavs are at it...can they also continue to do what the Rangers did, which was to stay off the radar until everyone looked up and realized that they were in the Championship round...I sure would like to see the Mavs be the SURPRISE team that makes it and ultimately WINS the Championship!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
LSMF
Diamond Member

LSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond reputeLSMF has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Dear Mr. Cuban

Your Dallas Mavs are off to what is clearly a remarkable season, but no one who's zip code doesn't start with 75 even notices. The Mavs have swept Miami and Boston, and beaten the Lakers the only game they've played. Last week they held national media favorite Amare Stoudemire scoreless in the 2nd half of their showdown with the resurgent Knicks. I check out ESPN's Daily Dime and what do I see? Of the 10 articles there, 4 are about Lebron, and so is the video. Not even a mention of the Mavs. Two nights later, they beat Boston, the team leading the East... what do we see on the Weekend Dime? Nada. It takes a SuperBowl vacation. Eight straight wins after losing Caron Butler? It gets us crickets from the national press.

Hollinger ranks the Mavs 9th, even though they have played the toughest schedule. Not that the NBA did the Mavs any favors. Is it just coincidence that the teams with the weakest schedules are, from the bottom up, Atlanta, Lakers, Chicago, Miami and Boston... the teams a cynic would say the NBA most wants to get out to a hot start?

With so little national press, maybe only Mavs fans know the only reason the Mavs don't have the league's best record is that they lost their 2nd strongest scorer for the entire season, and the Uber-man for 8 games.

Is it because of the lack of playoff success, or the year the Mavs blew it in the finals? Probably both. And its likely to be this way until they win a championship.

So please, Mr Cuban. Make that big trade. Replace Caron with a legitimate big time scorer, no matter what it costs. This team is too close to lose in another 1st round because the opponent figures out what the Spurs know...all they have to do to win is shut down Jet. I don't care how many years Steven Jackson has left on his huge contract, or what it takes to rent Melo. Kevin Martin or Iggy would do too. Standing pat and hoping that Peja and/or Roddy are healthy and enough risks wasting another one of Dirks few remaining MVP quality years.

This is about more than winning a championship. Its the only way to get our respect back. Win the big one, and the financial rewards will more than foot the bill. Mark, you've done everything in your power so far to get us this far, and we love you for it. This is not a time to be penny smart and pound foolish. Its a time to roll the dice and invest in the future. Dirk and Jet and Tyson are clearly giving it their all. (I, too, have done my part by buying a season ticket package for 20 years.) So please dig deep and give us that 2nd scoring option that demands a double team. Just think how great it could be, celebrating on Miami's home court. The players, the fans, and you, Mr Cuban, deserve no less.
G-Man this is a great post, I really wish somehow we could get Cubes to read this. Our team we have now is a different group from years past, the chemistry is there, the defense is there, and the toughness is there. We have players on this team that want to win that elusive ring, because they know their time is running out. I know they're gunna give it their all in the playoffs, but the West is just too tough for us not to have that second scorer. If we could get a good trade for Prince, Iggy, Jackson or someone who could at least take some pressure of Dirk then Cubes/Donnie should take it.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

I say keep Caron. He's a good dude and seems to get along well with everyone. Once Roddy/Peja get in the rotation we can finally get rid of Cardinal the starter.

It is bad business to trade someone just because he got injured. It makes everyone else think they could be just as expendable.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninkobei View Post
It is bad business to trade someone just because he got injured. It makes everyone else think they could be just as expendable.
He has an expiring contract - we can sign him again this summer.

And any NBA player who doesn't already know they're expendable in this business is completely naive.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-06-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
deamon
Golden Member

deamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these partsdeamon is infamous around these parts

Agree with G-Man.
No big trade -> No championship
deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #14
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic View Post
I have to say that I disagree with the OP entirely. You don't get anywhere by making bad trades just to make a trade. The Mavs need to continue to be in opportunistic trade mode, and if nothing comes along that upgrades our team for a reasonable price then we should be willing to sit pretty. Personally, I think all the pieces are currently in place to make a title run; it's up to Carlisle to figure out how to make them fit together.
Co-sign (mostly).

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs Building Momentum in Time For Run in the West

Quote:
As we mentioned here, the Mavs have come a long way within the span of two-to-three weeks. In six games, the All-Star break will arrive and there will be just under 30 games left in the regular season. The marathon that is the regular season will turn the corner heading into the home stretch. Dallas is in the midst of an eight game winning streak, the longest active streak in the NBA. At the 50-game mark of the season, Dallas find themselves a solid 20 games above .500 (35-15). Coach Rick Carlisle has mentioned that the team is "building momentum" and "making strides." They have made those strides on both ends of the floor. Over the last eight games, the offense has really found its groove by averaging 103.6 points per game. It does not hurt to have a healthy Dirk Nowitzki back in the mix as well.

The Mavericks have had to endure their ups and downs, but the team knows what the elixir is to fix their woes, playing tough defense. "At the beginning of the season, we were on a roll and communicating out there," center Tyson Chandler said. "In training camp, there was such an emphasis on defense. We were out there, we were executing and this team has always had firepower on the offensive end. With the injuries, we got away from that. We started focusing too much on offense and how we could make up for Caron and Dirk being out. Not only could we not make up for the offense, but we stopped on the defensive end. Now that we've got guys back healthy, we're starting to come back to our roots and focus on defense." The intensity has gone up and the results are backing that up. During their winning streak, the Mavericks are allowing 95.7 points per game.
more at http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2011/2/...un-in-the-west

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 02-06-2011 at 03:21 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:24 PM   #16
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the post gman. I'm not entirely sire that the folks you mentioned will do the job but I do hope cubes is looking short term today as much as possible. So trading carom, roddy, wood, draft picks get you who? Or doesn't have to be a decent deal as well. To what lengths? Very interesting position.

Of course gman can always mail this straight to cubes. His track record says that if he thinks a trade will get us there he'll make it.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Saying this team can't make it out of the first round because previous teams haven't made it out of the first round is lazy.

I'm all for a trade under the right circumstances, but I'm not looking to sell the farm for just anything. Acquiring Steven Jackson or Iggy and their bloated salaries could put several years of Dirk's prime at risk, as opposed to just this year.

If anything, Dirk's play this season, and the revelation of Tyson Chandler, should have people readjusting their view of our window. It's legitimately open for several more years. You can't blindly hinder yourself moving forward to marginally increase your chances this year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 02-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #18
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Hell no! You don't slap that f ing idiot Carmelo, in the middle of this. One of my main reasons against that as far as on the court is, Melo doesn't give a damn about anyone but himself. He wants to be in New York so when the going gets tough and it's time to fight out of a hole in the playoffs or when your back is against the wall, you don't want a guy that is a rental to be locking arms with you.
I see your point, but I think any superstar quality player would love to be the one who sticks it to the Superfriends...even one as selfish as Anthony. He's never been my favorite, but talent-wise he is exactly what we need. I wouldn't give up Roddy for a rental, but if he's willing to come here and make a run at a ring, I can't see how it would hurt. He gets Butler's minutes, so he doesn't upset anything in the rotation. Our bench would be killer, Jet would be wide open, Roddy would have room and time to grow.

Its a chance I'd be wiling to take, and an opportunity Melo would be leaping towards, if he was smart.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #19
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I see your point, but I think any superstar quality player would love to be the one who sticks it to the Superfriends...even one as selfish as Anthony. He's never been my favorite, but talent-wise he is exactly what we need. I wouldn't give up Roddy for a rental, but if he's willing to come here and make a run at a ring, I can't see how it would hurt. He gets Butler's minutes, so he doesn't upset anything in the rotation. Our bench would be killer, Jet would be wide open, Roddy would have room and time to grow.

Its a chance I'd be wiling to take, and an opportunity Melo would be leaping towards, if he was smart.
Roddy won't be here if the Mavs get Melo. There is no way the Mavs find a deal involving Melo that involves Roddy staying in Dallas.

I'm not sure I see any specific reason other than pure competitive nature for a player to want to stick it to the Heat. As far as I understand, they're all a group of friends (Wade, Anthony, LeBron, Paul, Bosh etc etc.).
Old 02-06-2011, 02:49 PM   #20
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Saying this team can't make it out of the first round because previous teams haven't made it out of the first round is lazy.

I'm all for a trade under the right circumstances, but I'm not looking to sell the farm for just anything. Acquiring Steven Jackson or Iggy and their bloated salaries could put several years of Dirk's prime at risk, as opposed to just this year.

If anything, Dirk's play this season, and the revelation of Tyson Chandler, should have people readjusting their view of our window. It's legitimately open for several more years. You can't blindly hinder yourself moving forward to marginally increase your chances this year.
Absolutely. Good post in general. Chandler has dramatically changed this team in so many ways. The athleticism closely followed by the attitude helps out so much.

I have been interested in getting Jax here but after a close up of last nights bitchfest he put on (granted some of it may have been legit), I'm now against it. There's a delicate balance to maintain on a team between attitude, patience, grinding thru the BS calls etc. and it does matter. Imo, Chandler has done a great job in the last two games of holding back and continuing to fight especially mentally. We need those types of guys, guys who are not above the influence of Kidd, Dirk and RC.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

You're not even getting into the Melo discussion without Roddy.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 02-06-2011, 02:58 PM   #22
BGMaverick9
Guru

At this point, you might as well look at guys in the $3-4 million range in terms of targets. I still think Prince is likely target of a player they'd like to acquire using Butler's deal. If they can't go that route, they'll look at the exception route. If THAT doesn't work, they'll look at the buyouts.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:01 PM   #23
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:

Yeah thing is tho, I don't think he is smart .

I want to win really bad, but Melo just doesn't do it for me. I'm afraid it tarnishes Dirks legacy if he were to win it all with Melo here. I would hate to win it all and then have every moron in the world saying "Well look Melo went and won Dallas a ring." A f-ing renta player that doesn't want to be here. I'd nearly rather expire Dirks window trying to win one where there is no question that he could have done it all along if he had legit *help* like Chandler. Ya know, pieces that fit around Dirk and people that want to be around our guys and with our team for years to come.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
OSUmavsfan

OSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
At this point, you might as well look at guys in the $3-4 million range in terms of targets. I still think Prince is likely target of a player they'd like to acquire using Butler's deal. If they can't go that route, they'll look at the exception route. If THAT doesn't work, they'll look at the buyouts.
The most recent Melo rumor has Minny sending Brewer to the Nuggets. I wouldn't mind trying to use our exception and a first rounder to try to get Brewer as part of the trade. The Nuggets may consider it as it would save them from paying Brewer, who may leave after this season, and they could end up with 3 or 4 firsts overall.
OSUmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #25
Axilla

Axilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of light

a month ago, i might have been more inclined to agree, but at this point the *currently constructed* Mavericks have proven that they can A) spread the offense around B) rebound C) play team defense D) show aggression E) take care of the ball F) outscore opponents.

this has a lot to do with a team mentality and also individual assertion as both aspects have evolved. (See zone-defense as well as JJ's emergence as a reliable figure)

We've shown that we can beat anybody who thinks they are good, home or away.

I'd wait to see what roddy/Peja bring to the table before making a big move
Old 02-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #26
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Other than your B I agree
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #27
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

And what happens when we sell the farm for a legit second star like Anthony and we still don't win a title? Will all those screaming for Cuban to make a move still support him or find another way to blame the MBT for not doing enough? I for one like this team, moreso than any in recent years. I would like to give them the chance to see what they can do this year before blowing up half the roster for a guy who may or may not put us over the top. Where would the Lakers be if they had decided to ship Gasol off after their finals loss to Boston? They could have gotten any number of guys that were being hyped that summer. Instead they let that group stick together, and it has paid off for them. In my opinion one of the biggest problems this team has had is a lack of cohesiveness.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM   #28
Axilla

Axilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of lightAxilla is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Other than your B I agree
during our win streak

Mavs rebounds - Opponent rebounds

vs NJ: 39-39
vs LAC: 30-34
vs HOU: 40-42
vs ATL: 41-38
vs WAS: 50-45
vs NYK: 54-34
vs BOS: 33-34
vs CHA: 44-40

i think this suggests that the mavs have improved greatly in that particular area--only being outrebounded 3 times by slim margins
Old 02-06-2011, 05:43 PM   #29
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axilla View Post
during our win streak

Mavs rebounds - Opponent rebounds

vs NJ: 39-39
vs LAC: 30-34
vs HOU: 40-42
vs ATL: 41-38
vs WAS: 50-45
vs NYK: 54-34
vs BOS: 33-34
vs CHA: 44-40

i think this suggests that the mavs have improved greatly in that particular area--only being outrebounded 3 times by slim margins

Those numbers only show so much, we have been shooting great so that leaves a lot less defensive rebounds out there for the opponent, I wonder our rebounding % during those games, I still do think our rebounding is average, and we should try to get a backup 4 that can really rebound
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #30
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
Those numbers only show so much, we have been shooting great so that leaves a lot less defensive rebounds out there for the opponent, I wonder our rebounding % during those games, I still do think our rebounding is average, and we should try to get a backup 4 that can really rebound
dirk is clearly not 100% yet. whenever he plays hurt you can see it in his rebounding stats (just look up any of the last few seasons... whenever he has a bunch of games iwth low rebounding he had ankle sprains)

once he is back to 100% i expect him to be back to his 8ish average.

on the whole topic.... i dont think im for an all in to win it this year move even though kidd is clearly starting to run out of gas and marion and terry are on the decline as well.

a trade that has both a positive impact this season as well as perspective... i'm all for it.... but we are 33-8 (or something) when dirk and tyson are playing.... you dont blow that up mid season.

Last edited by Lor20; 02-06-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #31
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Not saying that it's not possible, but the odds of winning a championship after making a huge in-season trade are ridiculously low. I'm all for trying to improve the team this offseason via free agency or trades, but let's not be delusional and think that Rasheed Wallace to Detroit is the rule. It's the extreme exception and shouldn't be used as a benchmark for successful team management.

We're playing pretty great ball since Dirk's returned and started to get his legs back, and I think we should ride it out unless we're talking a relatively minor trade with one of our exceptions or a smaller expiring contract.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:39 PM   #32
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
Not saying that it's not possible, but the odds of winning a championship after making a huge in-season trade are ridiculously low.
How would you know? You don't have much of a sample size, and on top of that you have a *lot* of examples of teams who didn't make a move and then didn't win anything.

Great post, G-Man. Love the spirit!
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #33
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

G-Man, I love the first half of your post, but I found the whole part about a lack of media respect necessitating a trade to be a bit of a non-sequitur. The forum is split down the middle on whether the Mavs could/should make one type of trade or another, but trades and contender status have nothing to do with the media. So the fact your entire post was merely setting up a desperate and unspecific trade request really took the air out of the balloon.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #34
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
How would you know? You don't have much of a sample size, and on top of that you have a *lot* of examples of teams who didn't make a move and then didn't win anything.
Clyde Drexler to Houston and Rasheed Wallace to Detroit.

Those are the only significant trade deadline moves that have ever resulted in rings.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:36 PM   #35
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

Those are the only significant trade deadline moves that have ever resulted in rings.
Which means...what, do you think?
Old 02-06-2011, 11:55 PM   #36
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Which means...what, do you think?
That the right trade can be the difference in a championship run, but finding the right trade is extremely difficult.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:59 PM   #37
Thomas86
Golden Member

Thomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to allThomas86 is a name known to all

I agree with the first part of G-Man post but I'm not so sure about the other part, I still think the Mavs need to make a trade but not a big like last season...I think a guy like Tayshaun Prince would fit right in and SJax had his audition and didn't do jack with it.

I still don't trust Terry and Kidd in the playoffs because the Spurs showed in the playoffs that Terry and Kidd can be game planned for, I'm all for the Mavs making a trade I just don't the Mavs to make a big trade that might hurt the team chemistry in the long run like last season.
Thomas86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:12 AM   #38
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
That the right trade can be the difference in a championship run, but finding the right trade is extremely difficult.
Each year 16 teams qualify for the tournament, and 15 of them fail to win. Can any conclusions be drawn from that?
Old 02-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #39
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Each year 16 teams qualify for the tournament, and 15 of them fail to win. Can any conclusions be drawn from that?
That the rules specify that 16 teams make the playoffs and only one can win the championship, I should think. Not a particularly difficult or enlightening thought exercise, that one. Or am I missing something?
Old 02-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #40
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post

I would add Mychal Thompson to the Lakers in 87' and Bison Dele to the Bulls in 97'. PJ Brown was a role player but he was huge for the Celtics in 08'.

If you lower the bar a bit there are deals like Jackson/Harrington for Murphy/Dunlevy that didn't lead to championships but made teams better.

Not trying to argue for or against a deal just adding to the list. Hard to say that we NEED to make a trade. We just need to be opportunistic. If the right deal is there pull the trigger.