Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Walking Dead

Anyone watch this show? It may very well be the best thing on TV since Lost ended and I think it may actually be better. The episodes are a bit inconsistent (particularly because they have different writers/directors) but its just a spectacular show. If you have time and aren't too squeamish about violence/gore, you should definitely check it out.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #2
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

There's a pretty lengthy conversation about it in the tv "what are your shows?" thread.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

^ What Flaco said.

However, I have to ask, if you think this is the best show since Lost (didn't watch Lost, btw), than you must not be watching Boardwalk Empire?

Last edited by muzak; 12-01-2010 at 07:21 PM.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
It may very well be the best thing on TV since Lost ended and I think it may actually be better.
How can I take you seriously now?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

only 1 episode left ;/ boo
Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

People are really overrating this show. Other than the main concept (which is nothing original) and the willingness to show realistic gore, I see nothing that really sets this show apart.

Acting is average at best.
Characters are average if not a little mundane.
I haven't noticed any really creative or spectacular story telling or cinematography, etc.

I really loved the slow pace the sense of the unknown of the Pilot, but sense then, it has been fairly by the book.

I would have liked a MUCH longer amount of time before Rick found his family...it could/should have been a very cool 1st season cliff hanger. (Thus also making his wife's relationship with that dude all the stronger, etc.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm tuned into every episode...but it is nothing special other than the pilot.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"

Last edited by sike; 12-01-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

The concept alone will keep me... ZOMBIES!
Old 12-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just211 View Post
The concept alone will keep me... ZOMBIES!
I like it too.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with you, Sike. I do watch and enjoy it, but it could be much better. The acting is pretty marginal, but a lot of new shows with no-name actors are that way. Dexter, for example, was atrocious the first few seasons, acting-wise.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

The end of this week's episode was pretty awesome if you ask me.

I like it a lot. And I really didn't think I would after the second episode. But it's been highly enjoyable since then.

And there's not exactly a whole lot of competition for "best show since Lost" although Boardwalk Empire is a clearly superior show (which is also about to go away... *sniff*)

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, i like the show, too. But let's tap those brakes a little bit.

One of the best things about LOST was the acting (yes, Kate sucked, but there were some phenomenal actors/performances on that show). So far, the acting on Walking Dead has been atrocious to good.

The pilot for Walking Dead was amazing, and since then it has been good, and I'll still be watching, but it's far from amazing.

as a side note, i've been reading the comics (through volume 3 so far). Art is pretty cool, but the writing is meh. The show has had to fill a lot of dialogue (the comic doesn't have much in the first volume, which is about what the show is covering, with a lot of departures from the comic (which is a good thing)).
Old 12-02-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
muzak

The acting in Lost was good? Not the episode I attempted to watch. And smoke monsters? Really? I just couldn't get into that show.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

yes, cause one episode is enough to base an entire opinion on. Don't want to make this a LOST thread. Was just commenting on the comparison that was put forth in terms of shows.

Bot Lost had consistently amazing performances by O'Quinn, Emerson, Holloway, Cusick, and occasionally the Kims and Fox.

So far, acting-wise, Walking Dead has had over-acting, horrible acting, atrocious acting, and some good acting in spots.

like I said, I still like the show. Just being objective.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I must say, I will be objective but not nearly as nice. To compare this very average show overall to one of the best shows of ALL TIME is beyond silly. Sure, it is an opinion and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would wager a poll would show just how silly this particular opinion is.

Walking Dead is actually a surprisingly good show in parts. I just finished the 4th episode myself after I got through that horrible, horrible 2nd episode. With that said, it is, in my only somewhat humble opinion, no where even remotely close to the area that would be considered EXTREMELY far away from the terrific show that was Lost. I realize that the thread starter didn't say it was as good as Lost, just that it was the best thing since. But I still wanted to point out that any opinion like this, yeah, not a good argument to make.

That was objective, right?

Last edited by Male30Dan; 12-02-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #15
muzak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
yes, cause one episode is enough to base an entire opinion on. Don't want to make this a LOST thread. Was just commenting on the comparison that was put forth in terms of shows.

Bot Lost had consistently amazing performances by O'Quinn, Emerson, Holloway, Cusick, and occasionally the Kims and Fox.

So far, acting-wise, Walking Dead has had over-acting, horrible acting, atrocious acting, and some good acting in spots.

like I said, I still like the show. Just being objective.
I wasn't trying to say the acting in Lost wasn't good based on one episode. I was actually sort of asking a genuine question, with some sarcasm, followed by a statement/observation. Sometimes all it takes is one episode to know the show isn't for you. Don't get your knickers in a wad.

Last edited by muzak; 12-02-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzak View Post
I wasn't trying to say the acting in Lost wasn't good based on one episode.
um, that's exactly what you said. how else is this statement supposed to be interpreted?

Quote:
The acting in Lost was good? Not the episode I attempted to watch.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:28 PM   #17
muzak

Here's how --

You thought the acting in Lost was good?

I watched one episode to see what the hype was about (first season, mind you) and I thought the acting was pretty bad.

Maybe I should have said it like that? Just trying to short hand as I pop in and out during work.

Yes, there was some sarcasm, admittedly. I can't have my own opinion either?

Last edited by muzak; 12-02-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:42 PM   #18
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

of course you can. you made a blanket statement, i responded with specifics to help you understand why you were wrong.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:05 PM   #19
muzak

Wait, so I was wrong? Are you saying that good/bad acting is not at least a little subjective? I know what I saw and it was something that just didn't make an impression on me. My wife also tells me the acting in Days of Our Lives is supposed to be bad and that I just don't get it. Am I wrong about that too?
Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

So... what's the verdict? Do I need to get on board with this show or not?
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #21
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I would get on board. There's a marathon this Sunday of the entire season. It's a short season, so not much a commitment, and it's coming back next year (so no getting your hopes dashed over another cancelled show).

I will warn you, episode 2 was bad. but it has gotten better.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:24 PM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wait, so I was wrong? Are you saying that good/bad acting is not at least a little subjective? I know what I saw and it was something that just didn't make an impression on me. My wife also tells me the acting in Days of Our Lives is supposed to be bad and that I just don't get it. Am I wrong about that too?
yes, acting is subjective. if you had watched more of the show and made an informed opinion about the acting, so be it. But you made a blanket statement after watching one episode.

You tried to be sarcastic, didn't work, and now you're backtracking. it's ok, i forgive you.
Old 12-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #23
muzak

Regardless, the point is moot as I've sat through many a shows with bad acting; as with this show, Walking Dead. Lost just didn't do anything for me content and story-wise. To each his own.
Old 12-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #24
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good show.. nothing more nothing less.. No where near LOST or the genius of Boardwalk Empire
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote