Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 12-17-2010, 03:20 PM   #41
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

So Flac, how has your camcorder worked out for you? Anyone else bought one more recently? Any recommendations?

I've been informed that having our third kid requires an update to the ancient camcorder.

I'm currently researching this one.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 12-17-2010 at 03:24 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #42
kiddpg

kiddpg is on a distinguished road

n/a

Last edited by kiddpg; 12-17-2010 at 04:42 PM.
kiddpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #43
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i was in the market for a new point & shoot camera so i made sure i got one with HD video capability. A lot of cameras have that, but i ended up getting the Panasonic LUMIX DMC-ZS3 (there are newer models out now, but i think you can still get that one). I like the still camera ability of the panasonic, plus the use of AVCHD Lite format for the videos (smaller files).

I have completely abandoned using my previous camcorder. it is collecting dust. Granted, it wasn't HD, but the main reason I have stopped using it is that it is just so nice to have one device with you. Just the point & shoot. Take the pictures, and take the video. And the video is really good (720p on mine, but a lot of cameras do 1080 now). It used to be you could have a still camera that took good pictures but did crappy video, or a camcorder that took good video but crappy stills. But now, the still cameras have really good video ability.

Just something to consider.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 12-17-2010 at 04:58 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #44
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't one of the big differences there be the zoom? Hard to imagine the zooms on point and shoots being enough to handle shooting a presentation from the back of an auditorium or getting good video of a basketball game or something like that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #45
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, forgot one of the other reasons i went with the panasonic. zoom is a great point. the zoom on the camera i got is 12X optical (and i think an additional 3X digital), and is really really good. some of the other point&shoots didn't even have zoom for the video setting.

the zs3 has great image stabilization while zooming, too. only downside in reviews is that the auto-focus takes longer to catch up to the zoom, but i've never noticed it.

anyway, worth checking out IMO. having one device is so nice.

looks like the newer model is the DMC-ZS7, by the way.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 12-17-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #46
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The little $300 Samsung I got from Amazon is freaking awesome. I love it, love it, love it. Make and model can be found earlier in this thread.

I mainly shoot 2-3 minute videos of my daughter (in full HD) and upload them to YouTube for viewing by out-of-town family. It's been fantastic so far. No complaints.