Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 05-30-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone buy a Camcorder lately?

So I'm in the market for a camcorder, and wanted to see if anyone had some advice. There's lots of options out there - MiniDV, DVD, Hard Drive - not to mention all the different brands.

I've always been kind of a SONY guy, especially with digital cameras, but that by no means has to apply here.

I think I'm leaning toward a Hard Drive recorder, simply because there's no media to mess with.

So, anyone have any advice? Any rave (or horrible) reviews of camcorders you've purchased?

Thanks in advance, guys!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:06 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Sony HDD camcorder last November. It's awesome.

Awesomely awesome.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:16 PM   #3
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

which one did you get, U2?

In researching online, I think I've narrowed it down to the Panasonic SDR-H200 and the Sony DCR-SR200. Both in my price range, and both at Best Buy (got a lot of gift cards to use). The Panasonic is a 3CCD camera, while the Sony is CMOS. both have pros/cons. this is looking like a tough call.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

flip a coin
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #5
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

When my daughter was born this year, my dad gave us a Sony DCR-SR60....

I highly recommend it... You can make DVD's on the fly or you can save all the video to your hard-drive and make them later. The best part is that you don't have to spend $100 on mini-DVD's...that would be a beating.. I had heard that low-light is a problem, but really....what is low-light? Turning out all the lights and recording? That would be the only problem you would run into as far as I can tell...trying to film skunks and armadillos in your yard at night..

So, the SR40, SR60, SR80 are all good choices...I think the SR40 might have a smaller LCD and the difference in the SR60 and SR80 is hard drive space.. But, you will be amazed at how much this puppy will store at high quality setting...

The only invention better is probably ice cream..

Last edited by Nemesis; 05-30-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Just make sure to get one that records to a hard drive. My parents bought us one for the wedding and it records straight to dvd. It's a Sony. It's cool, but the DVDs are a beating. Get a hard drive.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

yeah, i read that direct-to-dvd are much harder to edit than hard drive or MiniDv.

Thanks, nemesis. I went to Best Buy at lunch, and loved the handling of the panasonic over the Sony. The panasonic can be operated with one hand with a thumb joystick (record, playback, etc.) while Sony has to have two hands to operate the touch screen (one to hold the camera, the other to go through the options on-screen - correct me if i'm wrong). the touch screen is cool, but my huge fingers didn't make it easy to use.

Is the DR60 a 30 GB hard drive?

by the way, i appreciate all the responses so far (except for MavsX )
Old 05-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #8
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Yes, it is 30 gigs...I love the touch screen. I have big fingers as well and have not run into any problems...But, I am not into the editing and stuff yet.. I just turn it on and film then put it on my computer and make a DVD out of it.
Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

hey! Yeah sorry about that, i don't have a video camera. But i do have a sweet Canon Digital Elf. I've had 3 in my life, and all my friends and boss have them too. i have the 450? and ive seen the 550 and the 700, and my boss just got the elf 1000. If you want info on Canon cameras..let me knowwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 05-30-2007, 11:32 PM   #10
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I've got the same one that Nemesis has.

I looked at the Panasonic also... but what sold me on the Sony over the Panasonic was the video quality. So I would definitely review the differences (got mine at Best Buy also, and they let me record, then playback to a TV... I'm sure they would do the same at your Best Buy). I wouldn't say it was light years better, but it was noticeable. But my fingers fit fine on the touchscreen.

Also, if I had a gripe it would be that there is no light attachment. There is a light option I think that turns on if needed? I can't remember. But honestly I've never needed it. But I can see where it would come in handy.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:34 PM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

U2, do you remember which panasonic you looked at? was it the SDR-H18 or H20? those are both in the price range of the Sony DCR-SR60. I would agree that the H18 or H20 picture quality was a little worse than the SR60. But when comparing the Sony SR200 and panasonic H200, the panasonic was actually better.

that's a great idea about hooking up to a TV. I should do that.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #12
MavsX
Diamond Member

yo BIG BOY!

There is a large article about camcorders comparing HDD and mini disc and dvds...check it out. I bet it might help you. I know i saw a picture of a sony handycam in that article too. in the July 2007 issue of PC WORLD. I just read about it, so i thought i would pass on the word. Hope it helps.

Last edited by MavsX; 06-13-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:30 PM   #13
Nemesis
Diamond Member

What did you buy?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 PM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Thanks, MavsX. I'll definitely check it out.

i did actually get the camera via UPS on Monday... I ended up buying the Panasonic SDR-H200. I've messed with it non-stop since it came in, and i really like it. It was a tough call between it and the Sony DCR-SR200. But the feel of the panasonic (all one-handed operation) was the difference-maker. and the reviews of the product on amazon were very helpful and detailed.

The video is really good. it's not HD of course, but it's actually very, very close, in my opinion. sharp, sharp picture.

thanks again for the responses, guys!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #15
MavsX
Diamond Member

good work. Well enjoy it.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:53 AM   #16
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

how much was it?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 11:33 AM   #17
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

i got the panasonic on sale at bestbuy for $650. I actually had a lot of credit card reward points that i redeemed for best buy gift cards.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

I am now in the market for a camcorder. My wife told me I am.

And it makes my head hurt to look at the reviews, specs and file types out there.

I want HD. I want something something that records to files that are easily editable. I want to post most of what I shoot (my daughter) on YouTube for my family to see, but also want HD video that will look good on my television in 25 years, or tomorrow. I am open to Flash based memory, but I think I prefer a hard drive...but that's just more moving pieces that can break, right?

Has anyone bought one recently? It seems like if I buy something nice and in my price range ($800 or less I'm thinking) I'm going to have to bend over backward to edit files and convert them (a lot of write in AVCHD format, which evidently requires a lot of processing power and time to convert and edit).... I can already tell this will lead to the purchase of a large drive to store these things on, and expensive software to edit clips.

Ugh.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:44 PM   #19
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

this thread gives me a u2 *giggle*
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #20
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

hey flaco, i think if i were to buy right now, i would be in the market for a flash-based HD camcorder. haven't done much research into any, cause i still have my hard drive one, but i think the convenience of flash-based would be a HUGE plus.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 PM   #21
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I'm curious as to why you say it's so convenient... Even with a flash based memory camera, you're still using the Usb connection to connect to the pc, right?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:36 PM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Sorry, i'm talking camcorders that use flash cards (SDHC cards). Not internal Flash Drive. So you can remove the card and just use that on your pc. No need for cables.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #23
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I've had my eye on this one for a little bit. my sister has one and it is pretty slick. Interested to see if the price drops any more.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HMX-R1...4826463&sr=1-1
Old 01-30-2010, 05:06 AM   #24
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

I purchased a Kodac Zi8 and must say I am very pleased. Anyone looking for a small pocket sized recorded this is for you. It beats the flip to pieces. 1080i recording, jack for external microphone, even take still pics the Zi8. The picture is amazing considering the size and cost, I picked mine up on line for $135.00.

Last edited by left texas; 01-31-2010 at 03:44 PM.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #25
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
Sorry, i'm talking camcorders that use flash cards (SDHC cards). Not internal Flash Drive. So you can remove the card and just use that on your pc. No need for cables.
I have 3 pc's and a laptop at my house and in none of them can I directly plug a SDHC card.

Does that mean I can't buy that kind of camera? Will they not transfer via USB?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #26
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
I've had my eye on this one for a little bit. my sister has one and it is pretty slick. Interested to see if the price drops any more.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HMX-R1...4826463&sr=1-1
Just watched some sample vids from that camera on YouTube...looks nice. Maybe I should be considering something like this...

I just don't know!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #27
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
I have 3 pc's and a laptop at my house and in none of them can I directly plug a SDHC card.

I'm pretty sure it also includes a USB cable for transferring.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #28
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Here's another one i used to look at almost every time i was in Costco... But i'm not sure they sell it anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HMX-H1...4877791&sr=8-1
Old 01-30-2010, 04:13 PM   #29
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Here's another one i used to look at almost every time i was in Costco... But i'm not sure they sell it anymore.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HMX-H1...4877791&sr=8-1
Funny you should mention that, I think I'm settled on it.

I spent a lot of this morning researching and I like all the sample vids I've seen from this camera, particularly when you factor in Amazons price of $299. I'm thinking this is just what we need.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 01-30-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #30
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I really liked the feel of it, and the pivoting grip was a very nice touch and made it very comfortable. But I have no idea on video quality. But I'm sure you researched that. Costco had it for $250 one week. I need to head back there after you buy it and give us a review.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:38 AM   #31
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

The h100 is no longer $299 at amazon (but it looks like it's cause amazon sold out of its own stock). Hope you got in at that price!
Old 02-01-2010, 12:04 AM   #32
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh! back to $299. I'll continue to keep you all updated on the price of a camera Flaco wants and i probably won't buy anytime soon.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 AM   #33
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well I purchased one yesterday (it shipped today) along with some SDHC cards and a mini-HDMI cable (C-to-A) @ 299$ plus the other stuff.

So I'll let you know how it goes. I'm pretty excited about it. I could have drove to (lol) Sears at the (lol) mall and bought one for (lol) $499. Lucky for me, I'm not a douche.

Seriously....who goes to the mall? Is it 1998 again?
Old 02-01-2010, 09:52 AM   #34
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

oh, left texas - thanks for the rec on the Zi8. I have been checking that out, too. I have always wondered about those small camcorders. A friend of mine has a flip and says they like it.

I've done a little research and Zi8 seems to come out ahead of Flip. I saw Kodak has a new, more durable (and waterproof), cheaper option coming in April - the Kodak Playsport.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #35
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

You seem very interested in camcorders in general...what do you film?
Old 02-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #36
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Just my kid and stuff around the house. I did a lot of research when my daughter was born (when I started this thread, actually... ), and ended up getting a Panasonic, which i do like and has served me well. Edited together a few DVDs (her birth and a few friends' weddings) with Sony Vegas software (which i really like).

But when I bought, HD cameras were WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY expensive. If you look up above, i paid $650 for a 30 GB Standard Def hard drive camcorder, HD was pushing $1000. So as the prices on those HD ones have been dropping, i've kind of continued to keep an eye out for HD cameras. I don't film as much stuff as I would like as she has gotten older - I'm now an HD snob and I think i'd like my stuff better if it were HD. .

And the Flip/Zi8 is interesting to me because you can carry it with you anywhere, without a need for a bag or something like that. For the more impromptu type stuff.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 02-01-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #37
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I was wondering about software...

I will check out whatever comes with this Samsung, but chances are I'm going to want something better. Might spring for Adobe Premiere or something...
Old 02-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #38
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post

You can always get a pretty cheap card reader.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #39
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Well I got it yesterday. It seems like a pretty sweet little camera, but I have almost nothing to compare it to. I haven't had a ton of time to play with it yet but it was pretty intuitive. Haven't even opened the manual yet.

I recorded some stuff in less than favorable light and it came out alright. Uploaded a 2 minute vid to YouTube (720p) using the software that came with it (which is pretty clunky and awkward) easily enough. Quality seems pretty good for $300. I haven't tried to edit anything yet, but I'm not expecting much.

I will probably look elsewhere for editing software. We'll see.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #40
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

I've used Picasa for uploading to youtube... and the youtube upload on the website is fine, too. I've messed around with Vimeo a little bit, too. Their upload tool is pretty sweet, but i think their quality isn't as good as youtube.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 04-30-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote