Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-22-2004, 12:59 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Small Dirk Update

Dirk hurt on dark night for Mavs in Denver

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

DENVER – Another game, another injury. And this ankle may rankle the Mavericks most of all.

Dirk Nowitzki went down late in the first half of the Mavericks’ 110-82 loss to Denver with a sprained left ankle. X-rays were negative, but with Nowitzki’s history of ankle problems, there was reason for concern.

“It’s not good,’’ coach Don Nelson said. “I don’t know how bad it is, but it’s not good. The one guy we can’t afford to lose is Nowitzki.’’

Nowitzki went up for a fadeaway jumper in the corner with just under three minutes left in the second quarter. He came down on Nene’s foot, slid onto the sideline near the Mavericks’ bench and clutched his lower leg.

He had to be helped to the locker room and could not put any weight on his left foot. After the X-rays, he was on crutches. He was wheeled out of the Pepsi Center on a cart. He will have an MRI today.

“I rolled it pretty good,’’ Nowitzki said. “We’ll wait and see what happens after the MRI.’’

The Mavericks have had a string of ankle problems. Michael Finley has missed six games. Marquis Daniels missed all of training camp and has not been 100 percent yet. Jason Terry missed a game and Josh Howard tweaked his ankle in the first week of the season, but did not miss time.

Nowitzki has a history of ankle problems. He typically doesn't miss extended time with the injuries. But this one may be worse. He was fitted for a compression boot for the flight home. He is expected to miss at least tonight’s game against Minnesota at American Airlines Center.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:02 AM   #2
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Small Dirk Update

The More they happen the longer there goin to take to heal.

Im beyond frustrated at this point.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:05 AM   #3
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Small Dirk Update

I sure don't like the addition to this Nelson quote. It wasn't included in the official site post-game quotes, nor the one in the DMN.

Nowitzki injures ankle against Nuggets

November 22, 2004

DENVER (AP) -- All-Star forward Dirk Nowitzki had to be helped to the Dallas locker room after twisting his left ankle Sunday night against the Denver Nuggets.

The Mavericks said Nowitzki had a sprained ankle, but he still was in a great deal of pain after the game. An MRI is scheduled for Monday.

``We don't know how bad, but it is not good,'' Dallas coach Don Nelson said. ``We can't catch a break with injuries. We have done well up to this point, but like I said before, the one guy we can't afford to lose is Nowitzki and now we have lost him for a while.''

Nowitzki was injured with 2 1/2 minutes left in the second quarter when he shot a fadeaway along the baseline and came down on the foot of Denver forward Nene. Nowitzki was on the floor in front of the Mavericks' bench for several minutes and couldn't put any weight on his ankle as he was taken to the locker room.

``I rolled it pretty bad, and will wait and see what happens after the MRI tomorrow,'' Nowitzki said.

Dallas' leading scorer and rebounder with 27.3 points and 10.6 rebounds per game, Nowitzki had scored over 30 points in five straight games and had 11 against the Nuggets before the injury.

A three-time All-Star, Nowitzki has had problems with ankle injuries in the past. He hasn't played a full season since 2000-01 and missed five games last season because of a sprained ankle.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:17 AM   #4
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough

This is really bad. It's going to be tough to get a productive 48 minutes out of Henderson and Booth at the 4. I hope our back-court can step up, but they've all been struggling with their offense lately, especially without Mike.

Thanks very much for the updates, MFF-- please keep them coming if you hear anything.
When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:20 AM   #5
Phil Helmuth

Phil Helmuth is on a distinguished road

Jesus Christ. We have 3x as more ankle injuries as anyone else. Fire the trainer and hire a guy to fit our players with proper shoes and ankle support. I am serious this is a problem that no other team has had to face as much.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:37 AM   #6
PepperTheMavsFan41

PepperTheMavsFan41 is on a distinguished road

Its beyond frustrating.

Not only are we the most banged up possibly the Mavs have ever been, but the Mavs are goin thru clearly the hardest part of their schedule.
I can kill cause in god I trust.
It's EVOLUTION baby.
PepperTheMavsFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:41 AM   #7
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

No kidding. We could be 8-8 really quickly.

Any word on Finley? Without Dirk it is a must to get Finley back ASAP.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:44 AM   #8
GoMavsGo

GoMavsGo is on a distinguished road

dammit!
GoMavsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:21 AM   #9
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Part of what worries me is that, not is Dirk out, but the fact that he's out will likely push certain injured players to maybe come back earlier than they should. There'll be pressure to compensate.

God. Everything sucks.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:32 AM   #10
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

The ankles situation is ridiculous. Anyone else notice Dirk reduced the amount of tape around his ankles greatly from last year? They used to be up to his kneecaps, now they're barely up to the middle of his shinbone. Might that have anything to do with it at all? I guess not, he had that same problem last year. Am I the only one that flinches everytime jump takes a jump shot? I worry more about him not getting hurt than him making the shot a lot of the times. The thing is he's been pretty durable in his career, but everytime I watch him I feel like I'm driving an Enzo Ferrari and it feels like everyone is trying to bump me out of the road instead of enjoying the ride.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:47 AM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The main problem is that he came down on someone's foot. I'm not sure what the Mavs, the trainers, or Dirk could have done to prevent that.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 11:54 AM   #12
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

It's time for a new strength and conditioning coach if ankle problems are so prevalent.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:30 PM   #13
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

From the FWST:

Quote:
Whether or not the Mavs have their best player to take on the league's reigning MVP appears doubtful. Mavs coach Don Nelson expects Nowitzki to be out "for a while."

However, Nowitzki hadn't experienced any swelling in the ankle immediately after the game, leading to locker-room speculation that the All-Star power forward will return sooner rather than later.

Nowitzki turned his left ankle after missing a baseline jumper with about three minutes left in the second quarter. Nowitzki landed on Denver forward Nene's foot and remained on the floor for several minutes in pain.

"I rolled it pretty bad," said Nowitzki, who was wheeled out of the arena on a cart. "We'll wait and see what happens after the MRI."

The Mavs won't know the extent of Nowitzki's sprain until today's MRI exam in Dallas. He did undergo X-rays at the arena, which revealed no structural damage.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #14
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

X-Rays are negative.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:34 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

X-Rays are negative.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #16
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I tivo the game because I'm going to be work- I watch about 3 hours of headline news and an hour of sportcenter/fastbreak and no one had any coverage of the game as far as I could tell. Headline news had them 15 up, and then 12 up and then down by 6 at the half. I knew something had happened. Pretty bad. The worst part is that Stackhouse is our leadership. It's his team now.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 01:02 PM   #17
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree there's not much to do except maybe going for the long tapes again. [conspiracy theory]Do you ever get the feeling players are trying to slip their feet under certain players in the league? Can someone even be that fast/evil/have the presence of mind to do that?[/conspiracy theory]
Old 11-22-2004, 01:28 PM   #18
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
I tivo the game because I'm going to be work- I watch about 3 hours of headline news and an hour of sportcenter/fastbreak and no one had any coverage of the game as far as I could tell. Headline news had them 15 up, and then 12 up and then down by 6 at the half. I knew something had happened. Pretty bad. The worst part is that Stackhouse is our leadership. It's his team now.
Atleast it is a veteran at the reigns. This could help shocase him. I know we'd like to keep him right now, but if Dirk is out for any period, this could mean Stackhouse is gone for a backup PF. Anyone think DJ will play much PF tonight against KG and just take on a pure defensive role? I know it could be a stretch, but he has the athletic ability.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:00 PM   #19
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
but if Dirk is out for any period, this could mean Stackhouse is gone for a backup PF
No, not really. We don't have the depth at the 2/3 to be shuffling Stack off for another front-court player.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:10 PM   #20
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what Ron at LMF said. If Dirk is gone for any length of time, the most logical move is to wave Dickau and sign a FA forward.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:23 PM   #21
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
I agree with what Ron at LMF said. If Dirk is gone for any length of time, the most logical move is to wave Dickau and sign a FA forward.
Agreed, but who?

I was trying to figure out a way to get Skita from Denver (perfect choice as a replacement backup, IMO), but what other FA is out there?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:32 PM   #22
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

My understanding is that Gary Trent is available. He'd be a decent pickup.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:34 PM   #23
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
Agreed, but who?

I was trying to figure out a way to get Skita from Denver (perfect choice as a replacement backup, IMO), but what other FA is out there?
Keon Clark
Gary Trent
Lonnny Baxter
Donnell Harvey
Marcus Haislip
Horace Grant
Roy Tarpley
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:40 PM   #24
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavs413
Quote:
Originally posted by: dalmations202
Quote:
Agreed, but who?

Keon Clark
Gary Trent
Lonnny Baxter
Donnell Harvey
Marcus Haislip
Horace Grant
Roy Tarpley
Keon Clark -- no offense just putbacks
Gary Trent -- little offense, and no outside shot, not very quick anymore......
Lonnny Baxter --- I don't know much about him
Donnell Harvey --- has no shot, cannot score
Marcus Haislip --- intriguing
Horace Grant --- too old , too slow, no shot
Roy Tarpley --- I really don't need to answer here.

I just think they have the assetts to do better. Donnie/Mark -- get to work.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 11-22-2004, 02:45 PM   #25
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

Harvey signed with someone.

Clark and Trent would be good backups.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:51 PM   #26
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

I dont agree with some of those assessments, but either way, I was just answering a question about who was available, not insisting that we sign any of them. I believe we do not need to make a trade or sign anybody. There is no need to do anything right now. Why would there be?
Old 11-22-2004, 02:53 PM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

We're talking stopgap here. I don't see any reason to make a trade. Trent or Clark would be fine as a patchwork maneuver.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #28
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Hailslip! Haislip! I've been wanting the Mavs to cut Dickau in order to sign Haislip for the longest. Any update on Dirk? Is he playing tonight?

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 02:55 PM   #29
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

are we talking about a 10 day contract, or actually doing a trade?
Old 11-22-2004, 02:59 PM   #30
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: vinnieponte
are we talking about a 10 day contract, or actually doing a trade?
Just a FA signing. Can't do a 10-day contract yet; I think you'd have to sign them for the season.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:02 PM   #31
VoteForBen

VoteForBen is on a distinguished road

As much as I hate him... Karl Malone? Give him however long a contract he wants and shower him with gifts. We'd guarantee him starter minutes for a few games, at least, if Dirk is out for a considerable amount of time. We need someone who can consistently hit a 15 footer on this team. I hate to say this, but he'd be the perfect compliment to Dirk and Dampier.
VoteForBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 03:15 PM   #32
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Quote:
Originally posted by: VoteForBen
As much as I hate him... Karl Malone? Give him however long a contract he wants and shower him with gifts. We'd guarantee him starter minutes for a few games, at least, if Dirk is out for a considerable amount of time. We need someone who can consistently hit a 15 footer on this team. I hate to say this, but he'd be the perfect compliment to Dirk and Dampier.
What is his injury status? I thought he was still a long way from being able to play again.

If he's available, able, and willing, the Mavs would be CRAZY not to sign him.

Old 11-22-2004, 03:20 PM   #33
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by: VoteForBen
What is his injury status? I thought he was still a long way from being able to play again.

If he's available, able, and willing, the Mavs would be CRAZY not to sign him.
If Dirk is too be out any time at all, I have to agree. Malone would be perfect.

Old 11-22-2004, 03:20 PM   #34
vinnieponte

vinnieponte is on a distinguished road

from what I remmember karl was to be ready by the end of this month, yet I haven't heard any updates.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:24 PM   #35
mavs413
Golden Member

Here is a link from the Sporting News about Malone....Link
It was posted just this morning.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:40 PM   #36
dirk2003

dirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to alldirk2003 is a name known to all

I dont want any part of Malone or Rodman.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:53 PM   #37
Mavs414

Mavs414 is on a distinguished road

omg we need to get finley back atleast
Old 11-22-2004, 06:46 PM   #38
bernardos70
Diamond Member

I'd take Rodman before I took Malone from a character point of view. But in reality I wouldn't like to see either one of them here. Ever (again, in Rodman's case).
Old 11-22-2004, 06:55 PM   #39
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road

Im pretty sure that Malone said that IF he comes back it will be ONLY with the lakers
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 07:00 PM   #40
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

How did an injury update status turn to Karl Malone and Dennis Rodman?

Anyone that can pick up the DFW stations... have they reported anything. Someone on another board said his appointment was at 3:00. Surely there is some kind of news by now.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote