Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

View Poll Results: Should Sam Cassell sign ?
Yes 22 50.00%
No 19 43.18%
DonĀ“t ask - just watching the Cowboys 3 6.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #1
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cassell to join ?

Only a short article on s.i.

Cassell destined for Dallas?
Posted: Sunday January 13, 2008 07:38AM ET

Sam Cassell has not asked to be traded. He hasn't sought a buyout of the remainder of his contract. He has been a loyal soldier. But that doesn't mean he hasn't thought about a change of scenery. And the Mavericks are a team that makes sense -- a title contender that always is looking for a veteran, calming influence at point guard who has seen his share of playoff battles.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:25 PM   #2
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all

Meh
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I would trade like... Ager for him.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

i really like the third answer choice

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
shaw-xx
Golden Member

shaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to allshaw-xx is a name known to all

We have enough "vets". Stay with fresh legs.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

.. if we traded away Terry for a new piece that was not a guard then Id say yeah for him to come here, only if it cost next to nothing though.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
i really like the third answer choice
True - winds slowly picking up at Texas...
Old 01-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #8
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather have him than JJB.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #9
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
are you kidding me? it's your opinion but I find that one hard to swallow.

I wouldn't one him. Like others have said, I'd trade maybe Ager for him. He's old, injury prone, and I don't think he can do much anymore.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #10
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one
see to me that is rediculous.

JJB doesnt get enough credit, nor playing time. to me I can see him being the Mavs best playmaker... but he doesnt get the chance.

Id much rather have him running point than Terry and Terry just stick to being a 2.

Last edited by Robillion; 01-13-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:39 PM   #11
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Cassell is the type of veteran piece that can win the Mavs a championship. The mavs need more guys have won before. Anyone who things Cassell will be more than an "assistant coach" is fooling themselves. But if I remember correctly it was an "assistant coach" named Steve Kerr that won SA one of their championships...
Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #12
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm all for it, even if it meant giving up JJB. Of course JJB has a lot more upside and giving him up could prove to be a bad move down the road, but the Mavs have a group of guys that have about 2-4 more years to win a title before the window closes on them. Anything reasonable they can do to up the odds of winning a title NOW is worth considering.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #13
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

You are a prodigy dub, because the window is slowly closing on this team. I however think that if things aren't taken care of this year the project is blown up. Hopefully the coach will go first and not the pieces because the Dirk, Josh, and Devin pieces are solid. Well maybe, just Dirk and Devin; I'd give up Josh because he appears to have developed into a very self centered stat oriented player.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #14
Mickey

Mickey is on a distinguished road

Sure.

But only if the Clippers buy him out. Clutch players are never enough.

Otherwise...
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #15
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
I'm all for it, even if it meant giving up JJB. Of course JJB has a lot more upside and giving him up could prove to be a bad move down the road, but the Mavs have a group of guys that have about 2-4 more years to win a title before the window closes on them. Anything reasonable they can do to up the odds of winning a title NOW is worth considering.
you make a valid point about the window that the Mavs have to win a title. I hadn't really factored that in. With that in mind, I could understand trading away JJ but for Cassel? Is he really going to make that difference. I don't think so. I honestly think we have one of the best teams in the league and have for a while. I hate to say it but when things don't go quite our way, we choke. We settle for way way too many jumpers. Our defense suffers considerbly. It seems to be a pychological thing that the Mavs have when they are losing or the refs are against them or what not. If we can rise above that, we'll have a title no problem and I don't think there are many players out there that are going to make that big a difference (obviously without trading the whole team away).
Old 01-13-2008, 11:55 PM   #16
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Don't want him here at all.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 AM   #17
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyDub
exactly
Old 01-14-2008, 01:01 AM   #18
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

As long as he remembers to advance the ball past half court I'm all for it.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:36 AM   #19
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleMavsFan
you make a valid point about the window that the Mavs have to win a title. I hadn't really factored that in. With that in mind, I could understand trading away JJ but for Cassel? Is he really going to make that difference. I don't think so. I honestly think we have one of the best teams in the league and have for a while. I hate to say it but when things don't go quite our way, we choke. We settle for way way too many jumpers. Our defense suffers considerbly. It seems to be a pychological thing that the Mavs have when they are losing or the refs are against them or what not. If we can rise above that, we'll have a title no problem and I don't think there are many players out there that are going to make that big a difference (obviously without trading the whole team away).
I dunno if Cassell will help, but I think he has more potential to help the Mavs win a title immediately than JJB does.

Again, I'm not saying it'd be a good move 3 years down the road--just that Cassell could be counted on a playoff-type situation more than JJB could right now.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 01-14-2008 at 01:36 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:15 AM   #20
fluid.forty.one

For the record, I would trade JJB for Armstrong if I was thinking about winning a title NOW. I would trade for Cassell for the same, and more, reason(s).
Old 01-14-2008, 02:22 AM   #21
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

SC might be an option, but only for next season. At this point the team is good enough. If the guys donĀ“t make it to the finals without Cassell they wonĀ“t with Cassell either. My opinion is: No
Old 01-14-2008, 04:28 AM   #22
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic
As long as he remembers to advance the ball past half court I'm all for it.
I get it!
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:41 AM   #23
Robillion
Golden Member

people be haten on some JJB
Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 AM   #24
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

JJB with enough playing time > Sam Cassell

My answer, any given day.

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:10 AM   #25
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

wow. this thread goes to show how much posters here love to overrate JJB...
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 12:18 PM   #26
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

On second thought, i'd also give up like... George for him.

If we ever make a trade this season it needs to be for a post player, someone who can contribute for a good three years at least, and preferably an all-star who is unhappy on a losing team. Can anyone think of someone who meets that criteria that we can get for a bargin price? I'll give you a hint... he's in our division, and I would at least consider dealing Josh for him if there was more to the trade.

Last edited by Tokey41; 01-14-2008 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #27
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all

If we did sign him our Men In Black factor would quadruple to levels not seen since NVE was traded away.
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #28
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I'd trade Cassell for JJB straight up no questions asked. Sam's a true floor leader and I have no doubt swapping him with JJB would be an improvement for this team.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #29
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thereaper
If we did sign him our Men In Black factor would quadruple to levels not seen since NVE was traded away.
It's not worth boosting that factor. The Spurs already have it in spades.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:39 PM   #30
Robillion
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkenstien
I'd trade Cassell for JJB straight up no questions asked. Sam's a true floor leader and I have no doubt swapping him with JJB would be an improvement for this team.
IMO, it would only be an improvement because he would actually get playing time... if JJB was allowed too play he would he a huge factor for this team..he can contribute muchmuch more than what Cassel can. But he isnt given the chance. It is very unfortunate. .. we have vets on our team. We need a post player and people that will take it to the rim, and JJB can do it every time. And if he doesnt have a shot he could be the best on the team at sending it back out and making a play. I cant see how people cant see this in just the lil time he plays.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #31
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

No matter how good JJB is offensively, he is now and always will be a major liability on the defensive end.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #32
atrewsfan
Banned

atrewsfan will become famous soon enoughatrewsfan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
No matter how good JJB is offensively, he is now and always will be a major liability on the defensive end.
Just like Cassell.
atrewsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:00 PM   #33
Robillion
Golden Member

Is it JUST me or did I see JJB force multiple turnovers from the other team in the past few games?.. and he can keep up with people. I think the only thing that needs much work on him is his BB IQ, which would only get better with more playing time... and yeah he is short but being able to block shots isnt the only way to be good on the defensive end.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 AM   #34
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrewsfan
Just like Cassell.
Not really.

Cassell can at least use his size and strength as well as his superb basketball IQ to his advantage. Cassell may be getting older and slower, and he's never been a great defensive player by any stretch of the imagination, but his knowledge of the game keeps him competitive and far from being any kind of liability.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:56 AM   #35
Scoobay
Golden Member

Scoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant futureScoobay has a brilliant future

Quote:
Not really.

Cassell can at least use his size and strength as well as his superb basketball IQ to his advantage. Cassell may be getting older and slower, and he's never been a great defensive player by any stretch of the imagination, but his knowledge of the game keeps him competitive and far from being any kind of liability.
sam i am also just dropped 32 on the suns to go with 6 boards and 7 dimes...
Scoobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #36
wesbrynt

wesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the roughwesbrynt is a jewel in the rough

jjb is an overrated mascot type player. He will never be anything more than a 3rd string or maybe back up PG. Just because he had the great game in the home opener doesn't mean he is this burgeoning superstar.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #37
Tokey41
Platinum Member

We need someone to stick with Dirk during out title run... and Cassell is going to be good for how much longer? I wouldn't give him three years, he'd be useful this year and maybe next year. Keep in mid he's putting up great numbers on a horrible team that has no all-star caliber player at the moment and little talent elsewhere. The points have to come from somewhere.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #38
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

The best place for Cassell..........Houston Rockets.

He might actually make that team a problem to deal with in the playoffs. They really need his leadership, and gamesmanship.

Not sure what LAC would want in return though, if you have Yao, TMac, and Battier off the table.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #39
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

sure~~~
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote