Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 07-30-2002, 07:57 PM   #1
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Davis agrees to contract extension with Hornets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS -- Baron Davis is sticking with the Hornets after all, signing a contract that will bring him to New Orleans for the next seven years, the team said Tuesday.

Davis

Hornets executive vice president Bob Bass said the contract adds six years to the one year left in Davis' old contract.

The team, which recently moved from Charlotte, reportedly had offered Davis an $84 million deal. While not confirming the compensation details, Bass said Davis would earn an annual salary equal to about 25 percent of the NBA team salary cap. The cap is $40.271 million for the 2002-03 season and is adjusted annually.

Bass called the agreement "a terrific long-term commitment to the city of New Orleans.''

"Our owners' intention is to sign the best possible players and bring the best possible team to New Orleans,'' Bass said.

Earlier this month, the All-Star point guard said he was weighing what direction the team was headed, and wanted to find out more about the Hornets' new home.

At Tuesday's news conference, Davis said he decided to stay with the Hornets because he did not want to start over again on a new team.

"I'm not greedy, I'm not selfish, I just wanted to make the right decision. This was the biggest decision I've had to make in my life,'' he said. "It's been a long, tough process.''

Davis, 23 and a Los Angeles native, said he was also taken by New Orleans' "Southern hospitality.'' Hoping to lure Davis to New Orleans, Mayor Ray Nagin invited Davis earlier this month to dinner at Antoine's, a historic upscale French Quarter restaurant.

Davis said he had been thinking about playing for a team in a bigger market than New Orleans.

"Everybody wants to play in a big market, and that's what I wanted,'' Davis said. "I'm happy it's over with and I'm ready to start playing.''

Davis averaged 18.1 points, 8.5 assists and 4.3 rebounds last season.

Team co-owner George Shinn said the contract "solidifies our team for years to come since he's already an All-Star at the young age of 23.''

Coach Paul Silas said Davis had shown "maturity and leadership on and off the court.''

"We can't wait to show our fans in New Orleans what a quality team we have as we continue to make strides and contend for a championship,'' Silas said.

#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2002, 08:46 PM   #2
Just211
Platinum Member

Just211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to allJust211 is a name known to all

don't you think New Orleans should get a new nickname and colors.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:54 AM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Just211- absolutely. I think the plan is to do that after one season.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 08:54 AM   #4
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder why the Jazz never changed their name..
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 10:01 AM   #5
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

Actualy, I heard that the Hornets want to buy back the Jazz name from Utah and become the New Orleans Jazz again which definitely sounds right. Utah would make up something else more appropriate for them.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:08 AM   #6
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

<< Actualy, I heard that the Hornets want to buy back the Jazz name from Utah and become the New Orleans Jazz again which definitely sounds right. Utah would make up something else more appropriate for them. >>

&lt;insert joke here&gt;
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 09:25 PM   #7
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Thursday, August 1
Marion agrees to six-year, $80 million extension
ESPN.com news services

The Phoenix Suns have reached an agreement on a six-year, $79 million contract extension with forward Shawn Marion, ESPN's David Aldridge reported Thursday.
The deal makes Marion a key part of the Suns' rebuilding plan, which includes first-round picks Amare Stoudemire and Casey Jacobsen. The deal also is the maximum allowable contract extension for a player in Marion's category, as determined by the collective bargaining agreement.

Marion, the ninth overall pick in the 1999 draft, averaged a career-high 19.1 points per game for Phoenix last season. The 6-foot-7, 215-pound UNLV alum also led the Suns in rebounding (9.9), steals (1.83), field-goal percentage (.469) and free-throw percentage (.845).

Marion will represent the United States at the World Championships, which begin August 29 in Indianapolis. The 24-year-old also played for Team USA at the 2001 Goodwill Games in Australia, starting all five games and averaging 13.4 points and 7.6 rebounds for the gold medal winners.

#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 08:41 AM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Possible Utah names if they sell the rights to the Jazz back to New Orleans. Anyone want to add on?

1. Utah Mormons
2. Utah Bore
3. Utah Caucasians
4. Utah Harem
5. Utah? We live in Utah?

or what about changing the name to Salt Lake City something or another.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 10:00 AM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Utah Saints.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 10:53 AM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

The Utah &quot;We are the entire african-american population of the State + John Stockton.&quot;
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 12:37 PM   #11
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Possible Utah names if they sell the rights to the Jazz back to New Orleans. Anyone want to add on?

1. Utah Mormons
2. Utah Bore
3. Utah Caucasians
4. Utah Harem
5. Utah? We live in Utah?

or what about changing the name to Salt Lake City something or another.
>>

Salt Lake Lickers?
Salt Lake Ducks?

I don't think that works much better than Utah.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 01:51 PM   #12
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Utah Polys
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2002, 07:12 PM   #13
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

What was it Dirk said? Something about Utah being a nice city or somesuch? The Utah Nice-citie's.
David is offline   Reply With Quote