Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 10-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #81
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Wow, very impressive. You certainly have a lot of free time. Good job.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #82
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get this "free time" business. How long do you watch TV at night? Stop and do something productive and healthy instead.... (said the guy that is hooked on Lost)

And weekends were made for running (and mowing the lawn. and fixing whatever the kids broke that week. and watching the Cowboys).
Old 10-02-2006, 09:16 PM   #83
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
I don't get this "free time" business. How long do you watch TV at night? Stop and do something productive and healthy instead.... (said the guy that is hooked on Lost)

And weekends were made for running (and mowing the lawn. and fixing whatever the kids broke that week. and watching the Cowboys).
I have nothing but free time so i have started running/working out recently. I have lost about 12 lbs in a little over a month which im fairly happy about. My bench has also gone back up to the point that aside from the football team im one of the strongest people at Sam.

Last edited by Five-ofan; 10-02-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:24 PM   #84
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

No five-o, I think you took my post wrong. I was confused why if someone commits to running (which I do as well) you apparently have "alot of free time". My post was trying to convey that if it's important to you you find the time.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:31 PM   #85
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No five-o, I think you took my post wrong. I was confused why if someone commits to running (which I do as well) you apparently have "alot of free time". My post was trying to convey that if it's important to you you find the time.
i understand your point fine, Basically, there is time for running you just have to push out some other leisure activities. For me when i started working out again, my NCAA and Madden games got very neglected.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #86
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:

He's running for like 3 1/2 hours, and on weekdays it's tough to find that much time. Weekends sure, but 3 1/2 hours on a weekday is a lot. I run and workout, and watch about 1 1/2 of TV a night, so it would be tough, at least for me, to have 3 1/2 hours in a row free to run.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 10-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #87
Five-ofan
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
He's running for like 3 1/2 hours, and on weekdays it's tough to find that much time. Weekends sure, but 3 1/2 hours on a weekday is a lot. I run and workout, and watch about 1 1/2 of TV a night, so it would be tough, at least for me, to have 3 1/2 hours in a row free to run.
that 3 and a half hours was once, he doesnt do that every day.
Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #88
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

I just went out and ran for 40 minutes tonight.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 10:48 PM   #89
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan
that 3 and a half hours was once, he doesnt do that every day.
Oh. Cuz there's no way I could find that much time on a weekday.

Old 10-03-2006, 07:14 PM   #90
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I usually just squeeze in a 30-40 minute run several times a week. Every couple of weeks, I might find a day to run an hour or two.

And, I said around 8 minutes a mile.. not quite 8 minutes, but pretty close.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #91
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

Another 40 minute run tonight for me.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:35 PM   #92
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

mission accomplished.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:52 PM   #93
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

congrats.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:53 PM   #94
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3
mission accomplished.
Details?

Congrats though

Old 12-20-2006, 06:57 PM   #95
Nemesis
Diamond Member

I am up to 5.5 miles every other day now. I have to take a break because final exams and term papers literally gave me an ulcer.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #96
Murphy3
Guru

sorry nashty...what details do you want?
3:39.54
Old 12-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #97
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
I am up to 5.5 miles every other day now. I have to take a break because final exams and term papers literally gave me an ulcer.
I'll give you an ulcer.
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #98
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
sorry nashty...what details do you want?
3:39.54
How many miles did you get up to, and how much weight did you start at and what are you at now?

Old 12-28-2006, 02:14 PM   #99
Murphy3
Guru

I got up to 26.1 miles... I'm at 195 pounds down from 220
Old 12-28-2006, 03:06 PM   #100
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Wow, congrats.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #101
Murphy3
Guru

Yeah,I'm wanting to put some of the weight back on. That's one of the bad things about running long distances... losing some of the muscle mass with all the running.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:20 AM   #102
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah,I'm wanting to put some of the weight back on. That's one of the bad things about running long distances... losing some of the muscle mass with all the running.
Wasn't one of your goals to get down to 200? So you looking to add 5 pounds or so in muscle mass?

Old 12-29-2006, 12:24 AM   #103
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Wasn't one of your goals to get down to 200? So you looking to add 5 pounds or so in muscle mass?
I have a feeling he overguessed his fat mass. That's easy to do because muscle weighs more than fat.

But to Murph.... I wouldn't rush in putting the weight back on. Did you cut down on weight training to acheive your goal? Just find a balance and the muscle mass will come back. Ease into it though.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:44 AM   #104
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well done murph.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #105
Murphy3
Guru

I lost a little muscle mass during the training.... it happens to alot of people when doing this sort of thing.

I'm not going to do anything to put the mass back on other than lift.. I'll continue to run, just not as much. I'm really only looking to add 5-10 pounds of muscle or so... just an estimate. I can't really just say how much adding what I want to add will weigh.

Plus the penile implant will probably add a couple of pounds...

Last edited by Murphy3; 12-29-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #106
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

You're finally getting one? I'm assuming it was because they finally figured out how to install one in your buttox.....

Last edited by bernardos70; 12-29-2006 at 11:49 AM.
bernardos70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #107
Murphy3
Guru

Well, my running days are done for the immediate future. I'm down with plantar fascitis in my right foot.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #108
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

show me some pics of your penile implant
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 12:08 PM   #109
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

wat
Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #110
Murphy3
Guru

This hurts like hell...
Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #111
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Plantar fascitis? That blows.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls

Last edited by LonghornDub; 09-16-2008 at 12:29 AM.
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:17 AM   #112
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Well, my running days are done for the immediate future. I'm down with plantar fascitis in my right foot.
Screw it. I guess it's been 4 months since the problem reared its ugly head. It's been over a month since I first went to the doctor. Over the past 4 months with barely being able to exercise, I've put on 12 pounds. Enough is enough. The Plantar Fascitis isn't getting any better, so I decided to just start running again. I went 2-3 miles the first couple of days late last week. On Saturday, I went between 5 and 6 miles. I ran another couple on Tuesday... Went about 4-5 yesterday. It's time to get back into shape. Hell, I'm really not supposed to walk except when it's necessary, but enough is enough.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 PM   #113
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

my health guy tells me that building muscle burns way more fat than running...so if running is tearing you up, maybe do some reading online and see if a serious dietary and weight regiment could be more beneficial.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 PM   #114
Murphy3
Guru

Oh, I know what works and what doesn't. I'm 6'2 202 pounds... I'm up about 7 pounds from where I want to be, but I'm still in good shape.

Personally, I hate lifting. Yeah, I do some of it, but just because I need to and not because I want to. I run because it burns calories quickly. Yes, I suppose there are things that I could do that would burn them just about as quickly or even quicklier (just making up words as I go)..but, for me, running works best even when my foot isn't working at its best.

As for lifting..well, I really don't want to add to much more muscle mass. I like where I'm at. But I like how I physically feel whenever I get into top notch running condition. I love the feeling of having increased lung capacity...of feeling as if I can 'go' all day long regardless of what I'm doing. A workout based primarily on weight training doesn't do it for me.

I've tried a number of different things... cycling, swimming, walking, running, basketball, weights..etc.. A combination of things do it for me, but it starts with running.. yeah, it includes playing sports, but that's just primarily for fun. It also includes lifting weights, but that's mainly because I guess I'm supposed to do it from time to time. There was a time in my life to where I didn't have much of a clue as to what I was doing when it came to this sort of thing. Now I do.

Now, you might say "well, running screwed your foot up to begin with".. well, I suppose It did, but I know when the injury occurred. It occurred playing softball with a pair of "cleats" that didn't have enough support in the needed area. I felt the pain immediately when making a turn going around third base and heading home. The injury didn't occur just during my normal jogging routine.

As for my diet.. Well, it needs some work, but I know that. I like what I like. I love to eat food that I'm not supposed to eat. I'm better about it now than I was a couple of years ago. But, it still needs work. I do take some necessary precautions such as annually doctor visits... monthly blood pressure readings and also taking my blood sugar at least every 3-4 months.... Again, with my somewhat unhealthy eating and lack of activity over the past few months, I've already seen some negative changes. My blood pressure has cropped up to 127/78 in my last reading.. It's higher than I'd like. My blood sugar is at 84.. a little higher than I'd like. But, I know what I need to do to take care of all of that..it's just a matter of doing it. Running is a huge step in that process.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #115
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Then Run (7lbs overweight) Boy, Run!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:56 PM   #116
Murphy3
Guru

I don't think I'd call myself overweight. I'd say that I'm over MY target weight.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #117
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

overtargetweight?
Old 11-30-2010, 12:17 AM   #118
Five-ofan
Guru

Bump....

I got all the way up to 305 3 months ago. That made me ridiculously sad because not only was I heavy, I wasn't very strong either which if im gonna be that heavy I should at least be strong. I decided to cut out fast food(other than subway), sodas, pizza and use an Iphone calorie counter/workout app. I do about an hour and a half of weights a day and do an hour of cardio 4 days a week and run 1 day a week. Ive lost 42 lbs (down to 263 for those who dont want to do the math), and my bench has gone up about 130 lbs so im losing fat and gaining muscle which makes me happy. I still have a long way to go but im pretty happy with how its gone so far. Goal is to be 225-230 with a six pack by spring break next year.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #119
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
Bump....

I got all the way up to 305 3 months ago. That made me ridiculously sad because not only was I heavy, I wasn't very strong either which if im gonna be that heavy I should at least be strong. I decided to cut out fast food(other than subway), sodas, pizza and use an Iphone calorie counter/workout app. I do about an hour and a half of weights a day and do an hour of cardio 4 days a week and run 1 day a week. Ive lost 42 lbs (down to 263 for those who dont want to do the math), and my bench has gone up about 130 lbs so im losing fat and gaining muscle which makes me happy. I still have a long way to go but im pretty happy with how its gone so far. Goal is to be 225-230 with a six pack by spring break next year.
That is why you were always so ornery... You were fat.

Congrats bro on the weight loss. I weigh about 10 lbs less than you and that is a very large me (right about 250). I have yo-yo'd for years but now as I get older it is easier to go up and harder to go down. I need to start lifting again myself (have a friggin set in my garage so I just need to commit to it) along with some cardio but I often find myself thinking a good diet is all I need and it just isn't. I will eventually start again... Eventually...
Old 11-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #120
Murphy3
Guru

as for my current situation.... i'm up to about 225.. not the type of weight I wanted to add. I haven't been able to run for a few months due to an injury. I've attempted to let it heal on it's own, but it looks like I'll have to opt for surgery.

Tags
how about these nuts, murphy3