Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What happens with Noel?
Gets a contract from us 15 78.95%
Agrees to QO, re-signs with us next season 2 10.53%
Agrees to QO, re-signs with someone else next season 1 5.26%
Gets a contract Mavs don't match 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #1001
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

There is a big plus and minus with Seth and Noel...

You can keep both for a reasonable price at this point.

Lots of teams can offer reasonable prices.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #1002
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
There is a big plus and minus with Seth and Noel...

You can keep both for a reasonable price at this point.

Lots of teams can offer reasonable prices.
I don't think there is any chance Noel is back next season. He could average a triple double from here out and he would still leave. Probably grab a couple hot dogs on his way out the door.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:00 PM   #1003
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@TheSteinLine: The Mavericks have no current plans to buy out big man Nerlens Noel, according to league sources. To the contrary, Dallas is hopeful it can get Noel back on the floor after the All-Star break and make another run at establishing a role for him.

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #1004
AO41
Platinum Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

I have always jokingly thought that maybe Mavs and Noel has some secret plan and him not signing was a part of it all but they had to make a big public thing of it. I KNOW this is not the case but that situation went bad so fast but now no trade, no buy out, no sitting, but want to see him again. I am 99.9999 percent sure he is not coming back but for some reason that very small remaining fraction of a percent says “what if”.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #1005
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

He's never going to be anything more than a backup unless he pulls his head out of his ass and works hard. It's like he thinks he can just coast on his talent alone. The guy has been in the league for a while now and he is the exact same player he has always been. He posted clips this summer working on his post game, against maybe the shortest coach i've ever seen, and kept saying he believed in himself or whatever the hell it was. The fact is if you look up his games as a rookie and look at his recent games now, he really doesn't look any different as a player. So if he's back or not I'm not excited either way because he's never going to be the TC starter kit they thought he could be as long as his head is firmly located up his own ass.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #1006
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

Here's my question on Nerlens Noel. Why did the Mavs turn on him so fast?

I mean, how do you go from trading a guy you like Justin Anderson for a guy you say is a long term piece to wanting nothing to do with him after only 40 games?

Either, Noel is so bad that you would think the Mavs would of done their homework & never traded for him to begin with, or something happened to make them totally sour on him once he got here.

I've never heard the story on Noel, though. What happened with him? Or is our scouting dept just that wrong?
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:35 AM   #1007
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about

I mean, how do you go from trading a guy you like Justin Anderson for a guy you say is a long term piece to wanting nothing to do with him after only 40 games?

Either, Noel is so bad that you would think the Mavs would of done their homework & never traded for him to begin with, or something happened to make them totally sour on him once he got here.

I've never heard the story on Noel, though. What happened with him? Or is our scouting dept just that wrong?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #1008
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure we can call it bad scouting because if he was as good as he should be he would have cost a lot more than a wing who was barely in the rotation and 2 2nd's. It was a low cost gamble to see if we could get another piece to this rebuild and it just didn't work out is all.
Edit-
Someone posted here that a philly insider said he is a backup center who thinks of himself as a star or something along those lines I believe.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 02-09-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 AM   #1009
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post

I remember hearing he doesn't work hard in practice. He thinks what he is doing is enough, but then guys like Powell are gym rats constantly trying to get better. Plus he gambles a lot on defense which isn't the way Carlisle wants his guys playing D.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #1010
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Why Isn’t Nerlens Noel Playing in Dallas?
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2017/1...-rick-carlisle
It was an article from UD earlier in the thread.

Quote:
When Dallas traded for Noel, someone in the Sixers organization told me he was a situational center who thinks he’s a star.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:10 AM   #1011
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

He made himself a national embarrassment by turning down the 4/70 the Mavs offered him and then signing the QO. That basically sealed his fate.

And in today's league, you have to be able to score in different ways no matter the position. Noel can't hit shots outside of 3 feet.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 02-09-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #1012
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
He made himself a national embarrassment by turning down the 4/70 the Mavs offered him and then signing the QO. That basically sealed his fate.

And in today's league, you have to be able to score in different ways no matter the position. Noel can't hit shots outside of 3 feet.
The contract stuff doesn't have anything to do with his ability tho.

Noel can't hit shots outside of 3 feet... So why did we trade for him then?

This puzzle still isn't adding up... Like what did he do hit on Carlisle's wife or something???
Old 02-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #1013
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
The contract stuff doesn't have anything to do with his ability tho.

Noel can't hit shots outside of 3 feet... So why did we trade for him then?

This puzzle still isn't adding up... Like what did he do hit on Carlisle's wife or something???
He doesn't have much ability is the answer you're looking for. Mavs traded for something they hoped they could turn into something more productive. It didn't happen and life goes on.

And the contract stuff absolutely has an impact on it all. If the two sides were married to each other for 4 years, then both would be committed to making it work out better. There is no incentive at this point to make it work, but I guess the FO wants to see what he can do for the remaining games. Hard to believe, but there it is...

Old 02-09-2018, 09:44 AM   #1014
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
It was an article from UD earlier in the thread.
Thanks for posting the article. Makes sense now. I posted something about Carlisle having a reputation for being tough on rookies in relation to Johnathan Motely in another thread & got a lot of responses saying I was contradicting myself. This article references Carlisle's reputation numerous times.

I'm not saying Noel isn't at fault. Clearly he is, but he's young & immature. Which NBA players aren't at his age? We're about to draft a player with a top 5 pick this June that has a very good chance of having similar immaturity issues.

I think it's a black mark on this franchise A) that we didn't do a better job of scouting Noel before we made the trade for him, and B) that we didn't do a better job of developing him. Again, Noel is certainly at fault. However, that doesn't absolve Carlisle of getting the most out of him.

This quote form the article really stood out to me

Quote:
(Noel is) a young almost 7-footer with elite athleticism and more offensive ability than most guys with his physical tools
We haven't been treated to that player. That's Carlisle's job to make the most of his players. He's failed with Noel. Pure & simple.

Maybe it's some elite level tanking to bench Noel in favor of a guy like Mejri who 10 years from now will have a career less impressive than Greg Dreiling, and if that's the case, Kudos Mavs!! But, my sneaking suspicion is Carlisle is wasting his time trying to develop a guy who barely belongs in the league, instead of making it work with a player who has the talent to be part of a championship team.

That's what Cuban said just a few days ago. "Every player in our locker room knows that we're an organization whose main goal is to win championships. That's what we're about." Maybe someone should tell Carlisle that.

Last edited by Magnum_3_Ball; 02-09-2018 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #1015
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
He doesn't have much ability is the answer you're looking for
So the scouting department failed & we should of never traded for him to begin with. Would be nice to have Justin Anderson & those two 2nd rounders back.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #1016
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
That's what Cuban said just a few days ago. "Every player in our locker room knows that we're an organization whose main goal is to win championships. That's what we're about." Maybe someone should tell Carlisle that.
Well when Noel is dogging it on the floor in the game as Harp would say "in front of God and everybody" I'm not sure what you think RC can do about a guy who isn't even trying his hardest. This is a guy who thought he was a max player, bet on himself and lost then instead of busting his ass and proving he was a max player he ... doesn't try to run back on defense and apparently ignored RC when he asked him to stop gambling so much? Then decided to make a joke and eat a hot dog during half time. When the only thing that's been a joke is the disparity between the image he has of himself and what he is actually worth to a team. It may be on us that we thought we could get something out of him despite the red flags we may have heard but I'm not gonna blame us at all when a guy isn't even motivated to show effort in live games. It was a gamble(a low risk one) and it didn't pan out, Idk how it's a black mark though.

As for RC and young players I'm pretty sure it's about 2 things with RC. Effort and stupidity. If you try hard and you are learning from your mistakes you will play. If you are an idiot, or keep making the same mistakes, or lack effort you won't play. If any player doesn't meet those standards, old or young, I'm not sure why any of us would want them to play. I'm sure Motley will play soon, there is a chance they have a plan for him. Like having him practice with the team till the ASB then after he will get eased in. We all wanted DSJ to get more mins early in the season and they steadily increased his mins and responsibility. He's had 14 straight games with 30mins+, and had 7 total prior to that.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #1017
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Sooo you think if Noel panned out better that we'd suddenly be championship contenders? Sigh...

Carlisle has developed Smith jr, Kleber, and Ferrell just fine. Blaming him for Noel is shortsighted.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #1018
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Well when Noel is dogging it on the floor in the game as Harp would say "in front of God and everybody" I'm not sure what you think RC can do about a guy who isn't even trying his hardest. This is a guy who thought he was a max player, bet on himself and lost then instead of busting his ass and proving he was a max player he ... doesn't try to run back on defense and apparently ignored RC when he asked him to stop gambling so much? Then decided to make a joke and eat a hot dog during half time. When the only thing that's been a joke is the disparity between the image he has of himself and what he is actually worth to a team. It may be on us that we thought we could get something out of him despite the red flags we may have heard but I'm not gonna blame us at all when a guy isn't even motivated to show effort in live games. It was a gamble(a low risk one) and it didn't pan out, Idk how it's a black mark though.

As for RC and young players I'm pretty sure it's about 2 things with RC. Effort and stupidity. If you try hard and you are learning from your mistakes you will play. If you are an idiot, or keep making the same mistakes, or lack effort you won't play. If any player doesn't meet those standards, old or young, I'm not sure why any of us would want them to play. I'm sure Motley will play soon, there is a chance they have a plan for him. Like having him practice with the team till the ASB then after he will get eased in. We all wanted DSJ to get more mins early in the season and they steadily increased his mins and responsibility. He's had 14 straight games with 30mins+, and had 7 total prior to that.
Well, I started out by saying of course Noel is at fault here. I'm not trying to ignore that fact. However, Carlisle has a job to develop young talent & get the most out of every player he can. Would you say he's gotten the most out of Noel's talent?

I'm asking folks here to present the other side of the argument. Do some critical thinking.

You think Noel is the only early 20s player the Mavs are going to encounter the next few years who thinks he's better than he really is? That's what makes guys like Dirk & Devin special. Very few players are like that & if you're Carlisle you can't just take a guy with B+ talent & ditch him because he has a bad attitude for a guy with D- talent but a great attitude. At least not after 40 games.

You sincerely think Carlisle is an easy coach to play for? Now that I know the details of this better, I'm legit worried that maybe Carlisle isn't the right guy for a rebuild. It takes patience. That doesn't appear to be Carlisle's strong suit.

Think about this. Did you watch Duke/North Carolina last night? Bagley III took several plays off. You think there's a chance Carlisle & Bagley III could get off on the wrong foot once he does that for the Mavericks?

If you're Marvin Bagley III, and you've been told your whole life you're God's gift to basketball, the #1 player in the country, even when you skip ahead a year still rated #1 in the country. You think Bagley III is going to come in here and maybe have an inflated opinion of himself? Maybe loaf a few plays on defense, fail to box out, like he did last night in a 4 pt loss to the Tar Heels?

Bagley III would be 18 years old when he stepped foot on the floor for the Mavs. Say he isn't the most mature from the get go, we're gonna quit on the kid 40 games into his tenure with the Mavs?

There's some legitimate questions to ask about this situation. Understand these 18 year old & 19 year old kids aren't going to come in here with the maturity of a 30 plus year old Devin Harris or Salah Mejri, or a realistic view of their own abilities. Very few would do that. If the way Carlisle handled Noel is any judge, the Mavs could be in trouble.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #1019
tap2390
Diamond Member

tap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond reputetap2390 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm asking folks here to present the other side of the argument. Do some critical thinking.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:47 AM   #1020
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Is that so wrong? Can we dive a little deeper than just Carlisle Good, Noel Bad?
Old 02-09-2018, 10:50 AM   #1021
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Once again, Carlisle has had no issues with very young Smith jr, so you can flush your frankly trolling idea that he can't handle young players down the toilet.

You want people do to critical thinking and yet what you're really doing is just trashing Rick.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #1022
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

The Mavs aren't quitting on a guy 40 games into his career, just because he has only played 40 here doesn't really mean much. There isn't any evidence we quit on Noel at all either. It's up to Noel to prove he is worthy of minutes. Bagley would be an 18yr old in the first year as a professional athlete. Noel has been a professional athlete for 5 years and has been in the locker room with a lot of true professionals and currently is in a locker room with plenty of them. Comparing Bagley to Noel in this case doesn't make sense to me. All we can do is deal in hypothetical scenarios since none of us know the real story yet. But if RC as been telling this kid something about not gambling on defense for a year and he has preached in practice to hustle and run back on defense. And after a year here he still isn't doing those VERY SIMPLE things... then why the hell is it on RC for not "developing" him? Hard to develop a guy who doesn't want to be developed. As others and myself have pointed out many times... what young player did we have that RC didn't develop/play that went on elsewhere and became something? Surely if he had unfair expectations asking huge tasks like- trying hard, and learning then there should be plenty of young players we dumped that became something after leaving RC.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 AM   #1023
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Once again, Carlisle has had no issues with very young Smith jr, so you can flush your frankly trolling idea that he can't handle young players down the toilet.

You want people do to critical thinking and yet what you're really doing is just trashing Rick.
How long would you say you've been a Mavs apologist?
Old 02-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #1024
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
How long would you say you've been a Mavs apologist?
Dude, you've posted here a month. At the rate you're trolling/telling people what to do, you won't last another week.

Old 02-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #1025
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
why the hell is it on RC for not "developing" him?...

Because the greater responsibility is on the teacher, not the student.

As others and myself have pointed out many times... what young player did we have that RC didn't develop/play that went on elsewhere and became something?
Seems like Jae Crowder was better in Boston than he was with us.

Look I'm not trying to attack Carlisle or anything. I'm simply asking if we gave up on Noel too soon, or if so, is our scouting department really that bad?

The answers are scouting department is just fine, and how dare you criticize Rick Carlisle. Jesus. What is this communist Russia where you can't ask questions? Just rubber stamp everything the Mavs do.

Maybe the real reason Carlisle hasn't had many young players fail in Dallas & go onto be better somewhere else is because the Mavs fail to draft quality young players to begin with.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #1026
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned

Quote:
Dude, you've posted here a month. At the rate you're trolling/telling people what to do, you won't last another week.
You're one of the most illogical people I've ever come across on the internet.

Enjoy your forum dude.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #1027
saclare
Platinum Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

There is a very, very stark difference between Marvin Bagley III and Nerlens Noel. I'm sure you can figure that one out, especially considering DSJ's development.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:13 AM   #1028
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Seems like Jae Crowder was better in Boston than he was with us.

Look I'm not trying to attack Carlisle or anything. I'm simply asking if we gave up on Noel too soon, or if so, is our scouting department really that bad?

The answers are scouting department is just fine, and how dare you criticize Rick Carlisle. Jesus. What is this communist Russia where you can't ask questions? Just rubber stamp everything the Mavs do.

Maybe the real reason Carlisle hasn't had many young players fail in Dallas & go onto be better somewhere else is because the Mavs fail to draft quality young players to begin with.
Mavs have treated the draft poorly for a long time, it's pretty well documented. But with Noel it's not a difficult puzzle. Idk why you are making it more than it is. We traded for a guy who was disgruntled and likely had some red flags. We gave up 2 2nds and a guy who looks to be another draft bust. If it worked out we have a center for a decade to anchor a team around. If it doesn't then we lost very little. It's not up to RC to teach a guy how to give effort. And it's not like these kinds of things don't occasionally work out. Randy Moss oakland to Pats comes to mind. It worked out, briefly, then he was back to being Randy.

And nobody is rubber stamping the Mavs as infallible. But looking for answers about why a guy who can't be motivated to give effort when the reward is literally millions upon millions of dollars, and then blaming RC for somehow not finding a way to motivate a guy when money is all he cares about yet he doesn't want to work for said money... yeah that is nonsensical. Everyone here questions the FO all the time, we joke about the same god damn blueprint in FA every off season. We joke about RC's weird lineups, so Idk where this rubber stamping is coming from. It's just in this instance I don't think there is some great mystery to be solved. The guy has a problem with work ethic but wants to be paid like he's the best player on the team. We lost minimal assets in the low risk gamble. Mystery solved.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:26 PM   #1029
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You're one of the most illogical people I've ever come across on the internet.

Enjoy your forum dude.
The personal attacks are unnecessary, and will get you banned if you keep them up.

I mean, we're talking about a guy who turned down a $70m contract that he hadn't really earned, then refused to improve his game, and you're looking for someone to blame other than him? Seriously, the "Rick hates young players" narrative is right up there with "Dirk is soft" for being the most inaccurate assessment of the Mavs ever (not to mention that being young is no excuse for a guy who's been in the league for one less season than Harrison Barnes -- Noel should almost be considered a veteran at this point).

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-10-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #1030
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

The bigger issue may be continually trading for players who aren't "Carlisle guys" or who RC doesn't want in the first place(Rondo). I think in this instance its MORE on Noel, absolutely. I also think its possible they got off on the wrong foot, as evidenced by his playing time fluctuations, not starting. I totally blame Rondo and mostly blame Noel. But it seems from an outside observers perspective that there was also some passive aggressive sabotage going on there.

I've advocated for pouring more resources into scouting for ages. I think that if you've got guys that have the clout but not the requisite knowledge (Cuban especially but also Dirk with Rondo?) making personnel decisions based on emotion or "feel" it can sow dissension and distrust. Luckily Donnie is such a softie, happy to be here sort, that it can be overcome. As I said in another thread the triangulation of MBT has been our biggest pitfall. This season everyone finally, FINALLY seems to be on the same page-- trading Devin to help the tank for modest assets, RC sitting vets last night. Hopefully Harrison Barnes sitting again against SAC...
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #1031
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
The bigger issue may be continually trading for players who aren't "Carlisle guys" or who RC doesn't want in the first place(Rondo). I think in this instance its MORE on Noel, absolutely. I also think its possible they got off on the wrong foot, as evidenced by his playing time fluctuations, not starting. I totally blame Rondo and mostly blame Noel. But it seems from an outside observers perspective that there was also some passive aggressive sabotage going on there.

I've advocated for pouring more resources into scouting for ages. I think that if you've got guys that have the clout but not the requisite knowledge (Cuban especially but also Dirk with Rondo?) making personnel decisions based on emotion or "feel" it can sow dissension and distrust. Luckily Donnie is such a softie, happy to be here sort, that it can be overcome. As I said in another thread the triangulation of MBT has been our biggest pitfall. This season everyone finally, FINALLY seems to be on the same page-- trading Devin to help the tank for modest assets, RC sitting vets last night. Hopefully Harrison Barnes sitting again against SAC...
I agree with most of this. I think Rick has done a really good job of playing the young guys and bringing them along this season while contributing strongly to the tank. I mean, Smith jr was basically handed the keys to the team from day 1.

And yes, it wasn't until this season that they finally seem to be committed.

I dread thinking what happens if Seth Curry had been healthy...especially with all of the vets being magically healthy this season.

Noel is just a special case that didn't work out as planned. Even if he did, he still had to have that thumb surgery so we might be here either way. Nothing kills progress like a semi-serious injury like that.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #1032
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree with most of this. I think Rick has done a really good job of playing the young guys and bringing them along this season while contributing strongly to the tank. I mean, Smith jr was basically handed the keys to the team from day 1.

And yes, it wasn't until this season that they finally seem to be committed.

I dread thinking what happens if Seth Curry had been healthy...especially with all of the vets being magically healthy this season.

Noel is just a special case that didn't work out as planned. Even if he did, he still had to have that thumb surgery so we might be here either way. Nothing kills progress like a semi-serious injury like that.
This is an underacknowledged aspect of this season. If Seth was healthy I think we'd be in line for the 9th pick again. Feel bad for Seth but we really lucked out.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:01 PM   #1033
mac222b
Diamond Member

I hope Magnum cools down and comes back. He brings an energy that is much needed around here. And he has opinions. I wish everyone could respectfully disagree. In my entire time here I think I've had like one poster I didn't get along with. Not to toot my own horn or anything...
Old 02-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #1034
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Is that so wrong? Can we dive a little deeper than just Carlisle Good, Noel Bad?
Let me start, that I'm pointing this out just in case you don't realize it ... otherwise I wouldn't bother and I don't mean to be antagonistic. The short time you've on this forum, you've repeatedly said other people wrong regardless of their arguments. You are a black and white type of person but we in a gray sports world where more than one person can be right. And on to the diving ...

Quote:
got a lot of responses saying I was contradicting myself. This article references Carlisle's reputation numerous times.
I was one of those people. I suggested that RC more accurately has very little patience for players that have a low BBIQ and as Bryan_Wilson stated players that flat out do not give full effort. I find zero fault in RC if a 20-something year old player doesn't want to put forth the effort and the gets benched.

Quote:
I think it's a black mark on this franchise A) that we didn't do a better job of scouting Noel before we made the trade for him, and B) that we didn't do a better job of developing him.
It's a valid argument that we didn't scout enough, but at the same time we really didn't give up very much to take a chance and possible Tyson Chandler 2.0.

Quote:
Maybe it's some elite level tanking to bench Noel in favor of a guy like Mejri who 10 years from now will have a career less impressive than Greg Dreiling
Again, you are being black and white. What team in the 30 team league does not have "role players" like Mejri? Again, name a team that doesn't have some player they took a chance on that just hasn't worked out? All of them? It's not a guarantee that a player is going to be who you want them to be.

Quote:
instead of making it work with a player who has the talent to be part of a championship team.
Have you ever coached a kids youth sports team? There are players who give you everything they have and there are players who just don't care. A coach cannot make someone care. If a person doesn't want to do something, this isn't the military where we can tell them to do it or they get court marshaled. Your argument here is completely invalid.

Quote:
Yes, this organization is about championships. If a player doesn't want to be here, doesn't want to practice and play hard, they are not contributing towards a championship. Ship him out. Hell, look at the Cavaliers as a perfect example. Half their team just got traded and they were still expected to be in the finals.

Quote:
Understand these 18 year old & 19 year old kids aren't going to come in here with the maturity of a 30 plus year old Devin Harris or Salah Mejri, or a realistic view of their own abilities. Very few would do that. If the way Carlisle handled Noel is any judge, the Mavs could be in trouble.
This was exactly my argument against trading Devin Harris actually.

Last edited by MavzMan; 02-09-2018 at 01:07 PM.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #1035
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I do wonder why the MBT is talking about playing Noel though... What are they trying to salvage here? Is it about our reputation? Are they planning a possible sign-and-trade? Did he have a change of heart? Are we just appeasing his agent so we can deal with him in the future? I can't imagine they're actually interested in Noel as a player like they say -- dude was in the doghouse long before the "injury." None of this adds up.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #1036
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
I do wonder why the MBT is talking about playing Noel though... What are they trying to salvage here? Is it about our reputation? Are they planning a possible sign-and-trade? Did he have a change of heart? Are we just appeasing his agent so we can deal with him in the future? I can't imagine they're actually interested in Noel as a player like they say -- dude was in the doghouse long before the "injury." None of this adds up.
I mean, what good does it do to say F U and kick him out the door? Why not just play him while tanking to help both our reputation and his value. Win-win if it works, lose nothing if it doesn't.

Plus, screw some other team adding him for a playoff run.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #1037
mac222b
Diamond Member

Idk what if Noel comes out and balls like a mini- Capela for the last 20 games and we win a few of those we otherwise wouldn't? Too risky to me
Old 02-09-2018, 03:54 PM   #1038
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Won’t somebody please think of the Motley!
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #1039
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Idk what if Noel comes out and balls like a mini- Capela for the last 20 games and we win a few of those we otherwise wouldn't? Too risky to me
This is my worry about Noel. He very well could come back wanting prove RC and the Mavs wrong and start playing insanely hard. We win games. He walks out of the season flashing the double birds.

I just don't see anything good out of him playing and lots of bad possibilities.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:26 PM   #1040
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

If Nerlens plays great the last 20 games, he'd be back. Almost no one is going to have cap space this summer, so we'd be one of the only teams that would be able to pay him over the non-taxpayer MLE of about $8.5M.

I think it's much more likely that he plays little or maybe has a stretch where he sees 15-20MPG and then falls back out of the rotation, and then he leaves this summer and probably has to play another season either on that MLE or maybe a similarly-sized one-year "prove it" kind of contract.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote