Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-28-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute
Default MMB Interview with Donnie Nelson

Quote:
Donnie Nelson is the General Manager and President of Basketball Operations for the Dallas Mavericks. In addition to that, he is also one of the Co-Owners of the Texas Legends, an NBA Developmental League team. The team is located in Frisco and is the official affiliate of the Dallas Mavericks.

When Nelson is not handling responsibilities for the Mavericks, he attends the games for the Legends to help promote the team. Before speaking exclusively with Mavs Moneyball on Wednesday night, he jumped on the radio play-by-play broadcast being conducted by Ben Rogers and Jeff 'Skin' Wade. They are the hosts of the "Ben and Skin" show which can be heard every weekday from 9 am to Noon on 103.3 FM ESPN Radio.

Nelson commented more on the acquisition of Peja Stojakovic. He mentioned that, when healthy, Stojakovic could provide versatility with his ability to play either forward position. The team recognizes that he has been observed as a great teammate and that the former three-time All-Star knows how to win games. The team had kept a close eye on sharpshooter over the course of the year, especially as he was a member of the New Orleans Hornets playing against the Mavericks on November 15. Stojakovic scored 17 points in 19 minutes of action and went 6-8 from the field (4-6 from three-point range).

Nelson also commented that Joe Alexander has a much better feel of the game compared to when the forward came into the league and was personally shocked that Alexander has not been picked up by a team. An intriguing note was made by Nelson as he mentioned that Sasha Pavlović worked out with Alexander before being signed to a 10-day contract with the Mavericks.

In closing, he mentioned in regards to trade potential, the front office will focus more on talent and then look at the contract. As long as the age works, then the contract will fix itself. Nelson elaborated more on that detail as well as other points of interest for Mavs fans during an exclusive interview conducted by Mavs Moneyball.
you can read the rest at http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2011/1/...-donnie-nelson
Old 01-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
MMB: How much influence does the unknown with the new Collective-Bargaining Agreement come into play or how much does it dictate in your decision-making process when in comes to looking at trades?

Donnie Nelson: I wouldn’t say it is a significant factor. Everyone in the NBA is overpaid, that is no secret, so the key is that you want to make sure that you don’t miss on the player. The ones you regret are if someone has a long-term deal and they’re an A-Player that is functioning at a D-Level, you know, those are the ones that stand out and they’ve got an A-Salary.
Brendan Haywood? (more like a B-Player functioning at a D-level, but still...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-28-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Good stuff man.

I like Donnies philosophy on Dirks "prime" window and the young guns. Developing young talent around a savvy group of veterans will lead to a more developed (physically, and mentally) team in the future. I think it's great for players like Roddy to have character hall of famers with insane BBIQ teaching him the ways of the game. This franchise will have a solid foundation if Cuban and Donnie keep doing what they're doing.

Last edited by tsar; 01-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
tsar

tsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to beholdtsar is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Brendan Haywood? (more like a B-Player functioning at a D-level, but still...)
I wonder if he's taking a shot directly at Haywood?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

BG locking down an exclusive interview with Donnie....sick. Just sick. Great work, man.

I know it's not technically d-m content, but I hope you guys are taking advantage of the exclusive stuff BG is getting these days.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Yep, good and much appreciated content, especially considering that you apparently provide all or many of the news and tidbits in your free time, if I understand correctly.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
Yep, good and much appreciated content, especially considering that you apparently provide all or many of the news and tidbits in your free time, if I understand correctly.
yup yup
Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #8
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Great stuff BG. Thanks for always taking the time to share your work. I know it isn't easy.

Much appreciated.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
Mav Addict
Golden Member

Mav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud ofMav Addict has much to be proud of

Very nice read....it is very much appreciated to have a "Mav Insider" be apart of D-M.com

So Donnie sees Ian as an upcoming integral part of this team....will be keeping my eye on that kid even more
Old 01-29-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav Addict View Post
Very nice read....it is very much appreciated to have a "Mav Insider" be apart of D-M.com

So Donnie sees Ian as an upcoming integral part of this team....will be keeping my eye on that kid even more
It just so happens that it worked out to have a Ian piece go up today.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:05 AM   #11
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Nelson also commented that Joe Alexander has a much better feel of the game compared to when the forward came into the league and was personally shocked that Alexander has not been picked up by a team. An intriguing note was made by Nelson as he mentioned that Sasha Pavlović worked out with Alexander before being signed to a 10-day contract with the Maverick.
I wonder if Joe Alexander is going to be given a shot now that Sasha is gone?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the idea that they would have to pay Sasha the rest of the year, but... in the meantime what is the gameplan?

Will Peja next week?

(OH and if they signed Sasha could they have traded him at the deadline as a throw in? I'm guessing no because of the restrictions? I imagine that was a reason for the decision?)
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

No they could not have traded Sasha.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #14
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Well if that is the case, that is probably the reason for the decision. The money is pretty much nothing relative to other things....

Mavs will need a SF now until the trade deadline. Hopefully Peja fills that role. Of course with Roddy coming back, maybe Carlisle will play the ultimate 3 guard lineup repeatedly with any combonination of Roddy/Kidd/Voldeshort/Terry.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

If the money was nothing they would have signed him and cut either him or Cardinal if they needed the spot down the road.

Make no mistake, this is completely about money. Which is fine, I guess. I'm just surprised that that small an amount of money is a big enough deal to force the team to play with such a limited roster for a handful of games.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Well if that is the case, that is probably the reason for the decision. The money is pretty much nothing relative to other things....

Mavs will need a SF now until the trade deadline. Hopefully Peja fills that role. Of course with Roddy coming back, maybe Carlisle will play the ultimate 3 guard lineup repeatedly with any combonination of Roddy/Kidd/Voldeshort/Terry.
There are still options...clearly they liked Sasha over Alexander, but that doesn't mean he can't be an option.

Novakane can always come back as well for a 10-day.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:30 PM   #17
Bayliss

Quote:
Novakane can always come back as well for a 10-day.
Novak wasn't getting any burn even when Diek was not playing. Doubt they would play him now.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #18
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Novak wasn't getting any burn even when Diek was not playing. Doubt they would play him now.
You said they needed a SF, you didn't specify on the capabilities of that SF

It's flexibility...if Butler (just as a contract) is going and Roddy is off of the table, the Mavs will probably have to eat a contract in order to get a piece they want (thus needing an extra spot).

Or...they're keeping themselves open once the buyouts come. It will be slightly less money to pay for a player, even if it's Sasha. I'm pretty sure March is the drop-dead period where someone has to be on the roster to be playoff eligible. They're willing to bite the bullet in the short term for the ability to pounce later. They'd have to pay the rest of Sasha's salary and do so twice (with the luxury tax) so Cuban doesn't want to do that for someone who could easily be gone within a matter of weeks.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 01-30-2011 at 01:45 PM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote