Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #281
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadBane View Post
That had nothing to do with why we lost.
If so, what he is asking is you is if it had anything to do, that other time, with why we won.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 AM   #282
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg View Post
If so, what he is asking is you is if it had anything to do, that other time, with why we won.
That's the point. We didn't win. Devin Harris was the reason we got past the spurs (on the way to the finals) not Jason Terry.

I'm talking strictly from the PG position, btw...

Last edited by fluid.forty.one; 01-31-2011 at 12:31 AM.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 AM   #283
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That had nothing to do with why we lost.
Then obviously he had nothing to do with getting to the finals either.

And for what it is worth..I think both his and devins utter incompetance at the point guard position was DIRECTLY related to us getting beat. How many times did you see dirk have to come out almost to the 3 point line to get the ball. It was atrocious pg play.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’

Last edited by dude1394; 01-31-2011 at 12:39 AM.
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:41 AM   #284
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluid.forty.one View Post
That's the point. We didn't win. Devin Harris was the reason we got past the spurs (on the way to the finals) not Jason Terry.

I'm talking strictly from the PG position, btw...
I'm sort of confused about the point you are making...(reading comprehension probably).

Devin was thrown in as a shooting guard on the way to the finals, very seldom did I see him playing much point.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #285
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Terry was a pretty big part of why we lost to the Warriors. But so was everyone, except Howard (oddly). Avery most of all.

As for Terry in the '06 run at PG, it clearly worked to an extent. We got that far. But would it work now? I don't know. Maybe if we give him those same minutes at PG consistently, he'd perform well. But he wouldn't get to play much PG with Dirk now, which is probably the primary thing that made him a good PG in '06 anyway.

I really think it's a moot point though, because JJB is more than serviceable at the backup PG, as long as he isn't shooting 19% from deep.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #286
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Barea is a better "true PG" than JET (and that's not saying much). Assists are nice, but a lot of Terry's come from perimeter ball movement, not him taking the ball up the court and creating opportunities for his teammates like Kidd does. Essentially, he really doesn't rack up dishes any differently than Dirk - at least Barea can dive and dish (whenever he actually DECIDES to dish - don't get it twisted, I don't think Barea is a good PG either...)

Now that we have Peja as a warm body at the 3, I'd love to see this team make a strong push for someone like Billups or Harris to replace Butler's overall productivity (assuming Cuban doesn't have some under-the-table-cream-in-my-pants fantasy deal with Deron Williams to come here in 2012)... I think both Barea and Terry suck at backing up our 37-year-old future Hall of Famer and we're probably not going to make a deep playoff run unless we either find a better backup/future starting PG, or if Kidd can play 38+ minutes after the 82 game season is over (and none of you have smoked enough weed tonight to believe that is possible... have you?)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:55 AM   #287
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Barea is a better "true PG" than JET (and that's not saying much). Assists are nice, but a lot of Terry's come from perimeter ball movement, not him taking the ball up the court and creating opportunities for his teammates like Kidd does. Essentially, he really doesn't rack up dishes any differently than Dirk - at least Barea can dive and dish (whenever he actually DECIDES to dish - don't get it twisted, I don't think Barea is a good PG either...)

Now that we have Peja as a warm body at the 3, I'd love to see this team make a strong push for someone like Billups or Harris to replace Butler's overall productivity (assuming Cuban doesn't have some under-the-table-cream-in-my-pants fantasy deal with Deron Williams to come here in 2012)... I think both Barea and Terry suck at backing up our 37-year-old future Hall of Famer and we're probably not going to make a deep playoff run unless we either find a better backup/future starting PG, or if Kidd can play 38+ minutes after the 82 game season is over (and none of you have smoked enough weed tonight to believe that is possible... have you?)
This team would be sick nasty with Roddy and Harris. I wonder if there's any chance of getting him back here. Probably not.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:57 AM   #288
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornDub View Post
Terry was a pretty big part of why we lost to the Warriors. But so was everyone, except Howard (oddly). Avery most of all.

As for Terry in the '06 run at PG, it clearly worked to an extent. We got that far. But would it work now? I don't know. Maybe if we give him those same minutes at PG consistently, he'd perform well. But he wouldn't get to play much PG with Dirk now, which is probably the primary thing that made him a good PG in '06 anyway.

I really think it's a moot point though, because JJB is more than serviceable at the backup PG, as long as he isn't shooting 19% from deep.
I do not recall anyone pressuring jet on the perimeter until the GSW series.. After that, everyone did and he lost his starting spot because of it the next year.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:59 AM   #289
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You can't take away Terry's clutch fadeaway jumper over Duncan in Game 3. That was awesome.

But your point still stands - Devin was definitely a bigger reason that we got past the Spurs than Terry (ask Tony Parker, he'll tell you the same...)

Last edited by Underdog; 01-31-2011 at 02:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-31-2011, 12:59 AM   #290
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm still a fan of the backup point guard the Mavericks are going to see tomorrow night.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:02 AM   #291
Underdog

Quote:
This team would be sick nasty with Roddy and Harris. I wonder if there's any chance of getting him back here. Probably not.
Seems like that ship sailed when Prokhorov told Denver to go совокупляться themselves...

Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 AM   #292
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I'm sort of confused about the point you are making...(reading comprehension probably).

Devin was thrown in as a shooting guard on the way to the finals, very seldom did I see him playing much point.
Unless my memory is completely blown (and that's completely possible) I remember Harris not only defending Parker, but being defended by Parker. I also know that, especially back then, Harris was only effective with the ball in his hands... and he was effective... So they may have called Terry the 1, but Harris sure acted like one.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:03 AM   #293
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
I'm still a fan of the backup point guard the Mavericks are going to see tomorrow night.
Add Hinrich to the list too...

Last edited by Underdog; 01-31-2011 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:04 AM   #294
fluid.forty.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Kirk would be great.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:05 AM   #295
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Unless my memory is completely blown (and that's completely possible) I remember Harris not only defending Parker, but being defended by Parker. I also know that, especially back then, Harris was only effective with the ball in his hands... and he was effective... So they may have called Terry the 1, but Harris sure acted like one.
Defensively sure...But jkiddo defends shooting guards as well. I believe we are talking offensively here and devin led a lot of one-man-fast-breaks (as he still does)...but I don't recall him running the point that much.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:06 AM   #296
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

For the record, I don't think much of Harris as a PG. He's great at penetration, but he's not much of an actual PG. Fairly poor vision and mediocre passer. Not very efficient either.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:07 AM   #297
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Kirk would be great.
Love Kirk. He can guard 1-3 really well too (shut down Pierce and Wade).
Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 AM   #298
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Love Kirk. He can guard 1-3 really well too (shut down Pierce and Wade).
I feel more comfortable with him guarding either the 1 or 2 opposed to a 3 but he has something about him that really does stick against Wade...it's just one of those things where a guy has someone's number.

The Jet angle that Skin mentioned is pretty much dead now so you'd have to throw Butler, a future first and money for him.

Last edited by BGMaverick9; 01-31-2011 at 01:12 AM.
BGMaverick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:13 AM   #299
LonghornDub

Quote:
For the record, I don't think much of Harris as a PG. He's great at penetration, but he's not much of an actual PG. Fairly poor vision and mediocre passer. Not very efficient either.
Yeah, he doesn't elite PG skills. Still, I think he'd be a fantastic addition to the current roster.

Kirk would be a great one too. That seems more reasonable anyway.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 AM   #300
BGMaverick9
Guru

Quote:
Yeah, he doesn't elite PG skills. Still, I think he'd be a fantastic addition to the current roster.

Kirk would be a great one too. That seems more reasonable anyway.
He's back from the elbow injury (hyper-extension). They'll save money by getting Butler, the first and money are icing on the cake. Hinrich was a nice stop-gap in case Gilbert did something crazy and Wall wasn't ready to take control of the point.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:23 AM   #301
Underdog

Quote:
Valid points.

Now imagine Carlisle's 3-guard lineup with Kidd/Roddy/Harris and Barea buried at the end of the Mavs (or someone else's) bench.

(wipe the drool off your lip...)

Old 01-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #302
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Hinrich> Harris

Especially when you think what both would be worth it has to be a no brainer, NJ would ask for a lot more for Harris
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:32 AM   #303
CadBane
Banned

Quote:
Valid points.

Now imagine Carlisle's 3-guard lineup with Kidd/Roddy/Harris and Barea buried at the end of the Mavs (or someone else's) bench.

(wipe the drool off your lip...)
That lineup would actually work at times since Kidd can guard some 3s, and obviously Devin can guard 1s and Roddy some 2s. Definitely prefer that 3 guard lineup to one with JJB involved.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:34 AM   #304
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

The thing to love about Hinrich is he knows his role and he never tries stupid stuff he isn't capable of, a team like the Mavs who want to run when given the chance but mainly play in the half court he is a great fit, Harris not so much
Old 01-31-2011, 01:42 AM   #305
Underdog

Quote:
That lineup would actually work at times since Kidd can guard some 3s, and obviously Devin can guard 1s and Roddy some 2s. Definitely prefer that 3 guard lineup to one with JJB involved.
I don't think Rick ever employed the 3-guard lineup as a defensive option, but I get your point.

We'd be sick on offense though, you can't deny that - does Kidd pass to Roddy cutting up the lane or Harris, should he throw the oop to Chandler or Roddy... maybe he just lets Dirk work his magic? It's a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma wrapped in crispy bacon!

Last edited by Underdog; 01-31-2011 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:47 AM   #306
mavs777
Diamond Member

I think Harris stay in NJ has proved he should never be the top option, look at his fg%
Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 AM   #307
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavs777 View Post
I think Harris stay in NJ has proved he should never be the top option, look at his fg%
Well, he'd be the second option at PG on the Mavs right now...

But it doesn't matter anyway because I don't see any way we can get him without helping to facilitate a Melo-to-Jersey trade (which ain't happening, so the fantasy is moot...)

Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 AM   #308
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Ugh...people need to stop bringing that up! That would be incredible, and my name wouldn't look so silly.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote