Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-01-2005, 11:53 PM   #481
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Keith Van Horn to Dallas :-\

Quote:
DA gives them something that they really have needed and were lacking
About the only thing he gives them is someone who's good at falling down to the ground when someone makes contact with them.

Armstrong works really hard on defense and is a pretty decent passer, but he is absolutely painful to watch. It is 4 on 5 with him out there EVERY TIME. Anecdotally, I remember him being a pretty decent shooter at one point in his career, but he is just horrific here in Dallas. I don't think Armstrong could knock down 3 18-footers in a row if no one else was in the gym.

PAINFUL.

I'm all for Nellie teaching the young fella a lesson or whatever, but every time I see Darrell Armstrong, I have flashbacks to Tony Delk. And Travis Best. Those two guys stole minutes from Marquis early last season, and this season Armstrong is stealing time from Harris. Harris is immensely talented, and he's been playing really well. Thank goodness, however, Nellie made good on his promise the other night. Instead of watching Harris driving, shooting, slashing and attacking, I got to watch Armstrong fall on the ground. A bunch.

Thanks, Nellie.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:20 AM   #482
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Keith Van Horn to Dallas :-\

I have to differ to some extent, KG. His shot is sad - no idea why because while he was never a great shooter I also remember him at least being competent at one point. However, IMO he's a good enough passer, and is aggresive enough with the ball that he does manage to put some pressure on opposing defenses. The charge drawing attempts grate on me when he's: 1) not getting the calls, and 2) when he gets carried away trying it in the back-court. But I like his energy on defense, and often feel like I see the effort from the rest of the guys pick up in response to what he's doing.

As for what Nellie did with Devin, I'm on record as saying I don't have a problem with it, though I do hope it's a well he doesn't draw from too often. More often than not I'd wager the rookie's development will best be served by PT.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:21 AM   #483
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I cannot believe someone is actually arguing the merits of DA.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:28 AM   #484
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I have to differ to some extent, KG. His shot is sad - no idea why because while he was never a great shooter I also remember him at least being competent at one point. However, IMO he's a good enough passer, and is aggresive enough with the ball that he does manage to put some pressure on opposing defenses. The charge drawing attempts grate on me when he's: 1) not getting the calls, and 2) when he gets carried away trying it in the back-court. But I like his energy on defense, and often feel like I see the effort from the rest of the guys pick up in response to what he's doing.

As for what Nellie did with Devin, I'm on record as saying I don't have a problem with it, though I do hope it's a well he doesn't draw from too often. More often than not I'd wager the rookie's development will best be served by PT.

Has DA's shot always been that ugly? I use to follow the Magic long ago when Penny was still there and I don't never recall his shot looking that ugly. I don't see how he even makes shots.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 12:30 AM   #485
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
I cannot believe someone is actually arguing the merits of DA.
Neither can I.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 04:55 AM   #486
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

I agree with KG on this. DA is a nice insurance to have in case Terry and/or Harris get hurt. He's also an experienced campaigner who could teach the youngsters some tricks of the trade. But for him to take precious minutes away from a promising young rookie is just not right. Harris was developing nicely with his ever-improving shot and almost unstoppable drives on offense, and his defense is probably top 3 on this team. Sitting him down for a whole game 'cuz he missed one play is silly.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #487
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

You can knock DA for having a horrible shot, but he is aware of that and hardly ever shoots. He's a pass first, pass second, and if the shot clock is running down shoot it third.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:47 AM   #488
GermanBlitzkrieg

GermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura aboutGermanBlitzkrieg has a spectacular aura about

If Nellie is telling the truth, Harris keeps making the same mistake over and over. He was sending a very clear message. DA won't play much longer. But he's helped us. Harris may very well be a super star stud, for years to come.

I think Nellie loves the kid. But he expects a lot from him. We'll see how tonight goes.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #489
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Thats my problem with DA. He needs to take the ball all the way to the hole more often so defenders actually believe that he might actually score. That will open up the floor a little more. Also, DA has a horrible habit of never wanting a shot. Never. And when the shot clock is at 2 or 3 he needs to take it instead of making an awkward pass that puts pressure on another player to get a quick shot up
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:17 PM   #490
Drbio
Banned

**Bump**

I really enjoyed reading through this again and seeing who didn't havea clue about the genius of the trade.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #491
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
**Bump**

I really enjoyed reading through this again and seeing who didn't havea clue about the genius of the trade.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Hell, Doc, if you wouldn't waste your time reading things like this, you could get a 4th.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 05:33 PM   #492
Drbio
Banned

LOL!
Old 03-24-2005, 05:54 PM   #493
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

hey, i was against the trade in general cause it didn't make any sense at the time. but i like van horn. and i will admit i've liked what i've seen because he's done the complete opposite of what he's been doing for years. he is actually VERY good at getting to the hole. not sure why he's been labeled as a jump-shooter for so many years, because he could score twenty on drives alone.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:13 PM   #494
Drbio
Banned

Let me be a bit professorial for a moment (Hey....I earned it)

Basketball trades are like geological effects. You cannot detect changes in geology over short time periods...the resolution is just not there. The same is true in basketball trades. That the short term period when the trade went down seemed to be an odd time to make the trade (due to injuries, etc), but you simply cannot detect the effect of the trade during that time period. Those who tried to do so simply failed because, like geology (and biological competitive studies), the resolution was too fine. There was a woe-is-me short-term mentality back then by many people...not just on this board but in the Dallas Mavericks loving community. It was a skewed short-sighted short term fault.

Thankfully, now that the period is extending out a bit...everyone is beginning to see the greatness of the trade. KVH is perhaps the most talented backup PF in the NBA. Having him back up Dirk is an incredible upgrade over Hendu and Booth, esp since Hendu came back. Having KVH and Dirk play side by side with Bradley as the center has been awesome. As long as Dirk doesn't get pushed into the center position, this trade is of the kind that championship teams look back to and say.....look there.....right on that date.....that was where we locked up the title. Maybe the Mavs don't win it all....who knows...but they can still look back and say....it was on that date that we gave our team an incredible upgrade and gave us a chance to win it all. The day Nellie resigned was another of those days but that is another story.

Bottom line.....changes in rocks and jocks require time to see adaptive benefit. Maybe that Darwin guy was on to something. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2005, 06:17 PM   #495
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

If anybody wants to look at the trade as KVH for Booth/Nellie, I think there will be much broader consensus.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:20 PM   #496
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

damn, you sold me on that. KVH for booth was obviously a steal talent-wise. If avery had been the coach at the time, i would have praised this trade up and down. but nellie was the coach, and i was afraid. very afraid.

but KVH for Booth/Nellie? best deal in mavs history. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-24-2005, 08:40 PM   #497
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Let's see how KVH does against the good teams before we gloat. If he performs like he did last night, we may have a shot this year, especially when Damp & Stack return.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 08:42 PM   #498
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

You're right CD. Let's wait and see. I do believe that this is a good trade that hinges on the use of the roster... And it still does even with Avery as the coach. However, I'm much more comfortable with AJ's use of the roster compared to what I had come to expect from Nellie.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:18 AM   #499
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
You're right CD. Let's wait and see. I do believe that this is a good trade that hinges on the use of the roster... And it still does even with Avery as the coach. However, I'm much more comfortable with AJ's use of the roster compared to what I had come to expect from Nellie.
I stopped bitching about the trade cause Nellie's out - Murph is right lets see what Avery can make outta this Mavs team.

In light of recent events, the disruption of team chemistry may not be as valid a reason to hate the trade as it was initially.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:53 AM   #500
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Due to timing a case could be made that it DID disrupt team chemistry and that the players also had worries about what would happen with Nellie's rotations.. I don't know that but there would be evidence as they played poorly after it. Even though I think most of the players could recognize and upgrade when they saw it.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 12:19 PM   #501
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Amused with the great number of KVH nicknames on this site, I thought I'd compile a list of the ones used, just for the hell of it...

Keith Van Booth (KVB)
Killer
Keith Van Badass
Basketball Jesus
Keith Van Kickass
Keith Van Bastard

any I've missed?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:34 PM   #502
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

It's only been a couple of games, but there are at least 2-3 posters that are calling for Larry Harris to step down on the Milwaukee boards.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:39 PM   #503
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: irontoad
Amused with the great number of KVH nicknames on this site, I thought I'd compile a list of the ones used, just for the hell of it...

Keith Van Booth (KVB)
Killer
Keith Van Badass
Basketball Jesus
Keith Van Kickass
Keith Van Bastard

any I've missed?
Kracker Von Badass
Old 03-31-2005, 01:52 PM   #504
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:

Keith Van Booth (KVB)
Killer
Keith Van Badass
Basketball Jesus
Keith Van Kickass
Keith Van Bastard

any I've missed?
Reed Rothchild...the Diggler's got his sidekick.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:55 PM   #505
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
It's only been a couple of games, but there are at least 2-3 posters that are calling for Larry Harris to step down on the Milwaukee boards.
Ignorant posters. Why shouldn't a son help his dad win a title? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

More seriously though, I think that was the best move they could make to create enough room for an off-season signing of Redd.

V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:06 PM   #506
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Quote:

Keith Van Booth (KVB)
Killer
Keith Van Badass
Basketball Jesus
Keith Van Kickass
Keith Van Bastard

any I've missed?

grnd_c that is a great one. Boogie nights is an awsome flick!!

Who is going to be Rollergirl on the team?
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 02:20 PM   #507
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: foglemann
Quote:
Quote:

Keith Van Booth (KVB)
Killer
Keith Van Badass
Basketball Jesus
Keith Van Kickass
Keith Van Bastard

any I've missed?

I know who Cuban would be. I can just see him rolling into Nellie's office and saying:

"I enjoy simple pleasures like butter in my ass and lollipops in my mouth. That's me -- call me crazy, call me a pervert, but this is something I enjoy. One other small thing I want to do in this life is make a dollar and a cent in this business -- I'm not trying to hurt you. I'm trying to help you stay one step ahead of the game"

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:09 PM   #508
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: madape
Quote:
Originally posted by: foglemann
Quote:
Quote:

Keith Van Booth (KVB)
Killer
Keith Van Badass
Basketball Jesus
Keith Van Kickass
Keith Van Bastard

any I've missed?

I know who Cuban would be. I can just see him rolling into Nellie's office and saying:

"I enjoy simple pleasures like butter in my ass and lollipops in my mouth. That's me -- call me crazy, call me a pervert, but this is something I enjoy. One other small thing I want to do in this life is make a dollar and a cent in this business -- I'm not trying to hurt you. I'm trying to help you stay one step ahead of the game"
KVH's nickname should be Chest Rockwell.
Thespiralgoeson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:44 PM   #509
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

How about Keith? thats a unique and uncommon name..and it has lower case letters!
Old 03-31-2005, 10:56 PM   #510
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Knee highs?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:36 PM   #511
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

well, i thnk keith has been doing pretty well. i thought he'd be a streaky shooter will lousy d but hes proven me wrong.

im not sure if the questions been answered in the thread (and going through 328764875 pages doesnt seem like a good idea to me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]) but how are we going to resign him? doesnt he have a huge contract?
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 03:00 AM   #512
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: V2M

More seriously though, I think that was the best move they could make to create enough room for an off-season signing of Redd.
They didnt need cap room to re-sign Redd. Perhaps they needed "budget room" that induced them to give away KVH, which falls back in the face of the owners, not the GM.

Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote