Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result be?
Mavs by 20+ 2 33.33%
Mavs by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs by 1-9 1 16.67%
Clips by 1-9 0 0%
Clips by 10-19 2 33.33%
Clips by 20+ 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2020, 01:01 PM   #201
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
As in Burke in starting 5?
not necessarily starting. I think he came off the bench this last game, and played some mins with the first group/Luka. I think this was some lineup tinkering by RC, having THJ play more with second unit. I saw some stats - THJ has been a bad shooter when playing with Luka and JRich, but has been the man/much better shooter when playing with 2nd unit/Brunson. I like that RC is tinkering around to see what player combinations might work the best
VA-Mavs-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #202
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Mavs-Fan View Post
not necessarily starting. I think he came off the bench this last game, and played some mins with the first group/Luka. I think this was some lineup tinkering by RC, having THJ play more with second unit. I saw some stats - THJ has been a bad shooter when playing with Luka and JRich, but has been the man/much better shooter when playing with 2nd unit/Brunson. I like that RC is tinkering around to see what player combinations might work the best
I like him tinkering too. I'm perfectly fine with inserting Burke earlier...I just have zero interest starting him.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #203
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

+/- so far this season

1st - WCS
2nd - Johnson
3rd - DFS
4th - tied - Brunson/THJ/Burke
7th - Doncic

Powell is 12th and in the negative. Only Iwundu and Green are worse.
https://www.nba.com/stats/players/tr...mID=1610612742

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-29-2020 at 01:42 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #204
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Listen, WCS is a guy who can get overexposed if played too much, but there is really is no more debate on him versus Powell. The only reason to keep playing Powell is to try and trade him.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:53 PM   #205
VA-Mavs-Fan

VA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the roughVA-Mavs-Fan is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Listen, WCS is a guy who can get overexposed if played too much, but there is really is no more debate on him versus Powell. The only reason to keep playing Powell is to try and trade him.
Thanks EL for posting +/- stats. WCS almost twice as high as next highest player in +/-.

I agree about WCS - but he is by far our best option at C, e.g., maybe he should be playing 25-30 minutes a night at C until KP returns. JJ is second in +/- at +6.7 - which confirms what i saw, that JJ seems to be an overall decent player that contributes in lots of ways.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #206
VA-Mavs-Fan

https://twitter.com/CallieCaplan/sta...02430254649351
Willie Cauley-Stein shoots 400 to 600 threes before and after every practice to extend his range. He's never made a regular-season 3-pointer.

"I'm getting the reps up. It's just a matter of time [until] I'm getting the time and opportunities in the game to knock it down."

We saw some results of WCS' shooting work, during preseason. Super glad to see him really working on his 3 pt. shot.

IMO, Bey, Hinton, Green and Ty Terry should be doing the same thing. Keep in mind Tyler Bey was a 41% 3 pt shooter in college. Bey with a 3 pt shot - that would be a really solid 3&D wing, as we know he has tremendous reach and plays stellar defense. Instead of trying to trade and way overpay for a solid3 &D big wing, let's develop our own. Bey, Green and Terry - need to be developed. lots of potential.

Last edited by VA-Mavs-Fan; 12-29-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 04:32 PM   #207
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Yeh, And even that line of thinking is flawed. Powell isn't going to magically become good. If he did, we wouldn't trade him, they literally love the guy. These situations are tough because its to the point where he is what he is and teams arent THAT dumb, his value will likely only rise as an expiring. We need to eat the minor loss on him for a more productive player. Sunken cost but it could be worse.

Last edited by SMC0007; 12-29-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:42 PM   #208
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

IMO, Bey, Hinton, Green and Ty Terry should be doing the same thing. Keep in mind Tyler Bey was a 41% 3 pt shooter in college. Bey with a 3 pt shot - that would be a really solid 3&D wing, as we know he has tremendous reach and plays stellar defense. Instead of trying to trade and way overpay for a solid3 &D big wing, let's develop our own. Bey, Green and Terry - need to be developed. lots of potential.
I think Bey has an incredible vertical if I'm not mistaken but he seemed very lost in our system the few times I saw him play.

Hinton was pretty impressive to me. The guy was all over the floor and has an incredible nose for the ball. Has a great motor and hustles like Powell.

I'd like to see what Iwundu can do as well. Has that bounce in his step like Marion, Aminu and Rodman and seems to be a very active player.

It would be nice if Green, Hinton, Bey or Iwundu could make THJ somewhat expendable for a trade. Doubt they'll ever get a fair shot though.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:49 PM   #209
SMC0007
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I think Bey has an incredible vertical if I'm not mistaken but he seemed very lost in our system the few times I saw him play.

Hinton was pretty impressive to me. The guy was all over the floor and has an incredible nose for the ball. Has a great motor and hustles like Powell.

I'd like to see what Iwundu can do as well. Has that bounce in his step like Marion, Aminu and Rodman and seems to be a very active player.

It would be nice if Green, Hinton, Bey or Iwundu could make THJ somewhat expendable for a trade. Doubt they'll ever get a fair shot though.
I'm stuck with the feeling that Rick is good, but you literally have to remove some of his options in order to not have an annoying rotation.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:50 PM   #210
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think it’s magical thinking to think that a second round pick with a less than 10% chance of success historically is better than any of the guys Rick is playing

I like Bey a lot and think he may have more promise than Terry, but he's raw, and very few second rounders ever make a name for themselves.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-29-2020 at 08:02 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #211
VA-Mavs-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think it’s magical thinking to think that a second round pick with a less than 10% chance of success historically is better than any of the guys Rick is playing

I like Bey a lot and think he may have more promise than Terry, but he's raw, and very few second rounders ever make a name for themselves.
Statistically - that's correct in general. But each player is unique. We are hoping that Bey becomes the next DFS; that Green is the next JRich, that T Terry is the next Jet, etc. If one of those works out, then the draft is a big success. Over 2-3 years, if we are able to develop some of our draft picks, its a huge plus for our championship aspirations. for example, JRich was the 40th overall pick. Every year, some 2nd rounders and undrafted players will develop (usually over a few years) into rotation players (or more), while every year, there are some players picked in the first round that will be busts.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:59 PM   #212
Dallas41
Diamond Member

Dallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud ofDallas41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Statistically - that's correct in general. But each player is unique. We are hoping that Bey becomes the next DFS; that Green is the next JRich, that T Terry is the next Jet, etc. If one of those works out, then the draft is a big success. Over 2-3 years, if we are able to develop some of our draft picks, its a huge plus for our championship aspirations. for example, JRich was the 40th overall pick. Every year, some 2nd rounders and undrafted players will develop (usually over a few years) into rotation players (or more), while every year, there are some players picked in the first round that will be busts.
Might take awhile

Speaking of 2nd round picks how about Isiah Roby in his 1st start tonight.

He looked really good much more stronger than he was at Nebraska.

Might be fools gold after one game but man he looks like a real NBA player now.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 12:06 AM   #213
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Might take awhile

Speaking of 2nd round picks how about Isiah Roby in his 1st start tonight.

He looked really good much more stronger than he was at Nebraska.

Might be fools gold after one game but man he looks like a real NBA player now.
That’s why it is tough to say we had a good draft.
Our rookies have it tough because we are deep with role players and those role players will make it difficult for them to get any PT to showcase their talents.

Hopefully Mavs will be patient with their development by giving them at least a summer league and training camp to thoroughly evaluate them.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote