Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 02-01-2003, 01:03 AM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised no one has posted about this. That's just ugly.

Pistons 118, Celtics 66

By HOWARD ULMAN, AP Sports Writer
January 31, 2003

AP - Jan 31, 11:21 EST

BOSTON (AP) -- Paul Pierce tossed a black shirt on the court in disgust when he was ejected late in the third quarter. It should have been a white flag.

The Boston Celtics absorbed the most lopsided loss in their history while the Detroit Pistons enjoyed their widest margin ever, winning 118-66 Friday night in the second-biggest road victory in NBA history.

``I chose not to be overly disturbed,'' Boston coach Jim O'Brien said calmly. ``I am very unhappy that we did not play good basketball.''

Actually, it was horrible basketball.

The Pistons led by 60 before Boston scored the last eight points. They had 67 points, one more than Boston finished with, less than five minutes into the third quarter. They also had 24 assists compared to 23 Boston baskets.

Detroit scored the last five points of the first quarter, the last 11 of the second and the last 15 of the third before an incredible 47-7 surge gave them their biggest lead, 118-58 with 2:46 remaining.

``Whether you win by 2 or 52 you just love a win,'' Detroit's Ben Wallace said. ``That's not something you expect to do, but it happens. Sometimes you catch a team down and I think we forced them to get down a bit mentally.''

The previous worst loss in Celtics history came in the second game this season, a 45-point margin in a 114-69 loss to Washington. The Pistons' previous biggest win was 119-73 over Indiana on April 2, 1987.

The only bigger road win was Seattle's 136-80 rout of Houston on Dec. 6, 1986.

``I've been on the other side of these things and I know how it feels and it's no fun,'' Detroit coach Rick Carlisle said. ``So we don't revel in it.''

The Celtics made 23 of 79 shots, 29.9 percent, while the Pistons sank 41 of 79 for 51.9 percent. Boston just missed scoring its fewest points since the 24-second clock was adopted. The record is 62 on Feb 27, 1955 against Milwaukee.

The crowd turned on the Celtics and cheered nearly every Pistons basket for most of the final period. Their biggest lead came on a 3-pointer by Tayshaun Prince with 2:44 left.

Detroit was led by Richard Hamilton with 29 points and Chauncey Billups with 24. The Celtics got 23 from Pierce and 10 from J.R. Bremer.

Any chance for a Celtics comeback ended when Pierce was ejected with 1:33 left in the third quarter for picking up two technical fouls for yelling at referee Gary Benson from the bench.

Pierce was not available after the game, but Antoine Walker understood his teammate's frustration.

``It's tough,'' he said. ``If the game had been a little closer, he might have kept quiet.''

The score was 78-51 when Pierce left, and Detroit scored the last eight points of the quarter on two free throws each by Hamilton and Corliss Williamson and a layup by each of them.

Detroit, which has allowed the fewest points in the NBA, gave up only 15 in the fourth quarter.

Walker sat out the entire fourth quarter after scoring six points and missing 14 of 15 shots after missing four games with a sprained right knee. He said that felt OK after the game.

``It's a tough night,'' Walker said. ``We'll deal with Detroit accordingly when we see them again.''

The Celtics didn't complain about the Pistons taking 11 shots from 3-point range after leading 86-51 going into the fourth quarter.

``When the shots are falling for you, you need to enjoy that,'' Billups said. ``I got some good looks and (Hamilton) got some good looks.''

The Pistons led 71-51 with 4:05 left in the third quarter before going on a 35-2 run that gave them twice as many points as Boston -- 106-53 midway through the fourth quarter.

Detroit's first double-figure lead came with just 5:59 gone in the game on a 3-pointer by Billups that made it 17-6. Boston closed to 19-16, but the Pistons led 32-20 after one quarter.

Detroit led by at least 10 points throughout the second quarter and opened a61-34 halftime lead.

Old 02-01-2003, 01:27 AM   #2
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I felt sorry for the Celtics when the fans began to cheer for the Pistons.

Very Embarassing
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2003, 02:52 AM   #3
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I guess Detroit was trying to help Red give up smoking. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2003, 01:31 AM   #4
NashFan1341

NashFan1341 is on a distinguished road

<< I felt sorry for the Celtics when the fans began to cheer for the Pistons.

Very Embarassing
>>

That is pretty bad. What is up with the Celtics this year though? They appear to show no heart at all quite often. Even when they win it just doesn't seem like they're into the game. Thank goodness we have Dirk and not Pierce.
NashFan1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 01:33 AM   #5
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

<< Thank goodness we have Dirk and not Pierce. >>

Amen to that!
Old 02-02-2003, 01:32 PM   #6
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< What is up with the Celtics this year though? >>

You're right, they don't look like they're having any fun out there. Yeah it's work and some nights it doesn't go your way, but no matter what, they don't look like they're having any fun on the court.

Another problem is they shoot too many three's. Way too many. Even when they're making a decent number of them, they're shooting too many. And it looks even worse when they are not hitting them.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:51 PM   #7
NashFan1341

NashFan1341 is on a distinguished road

<< Another problem is they shoot too many three's. >>

Very true. I don't understand it either b/c i think Pierce and Walker could be more productive in the paint.
NashFan1341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 07:16 PM   #8

Member will become famous soon enoughMember will become famous soon enough

Yeah especially when Walker went like 1-11 from three one time. Thats a little to much. And if you miss 6 straight that doesnt mean keep shooting them.
Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2003, 08:30 PM   #9
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

The Celics are small. Their only big man who produces decent numbers is Tony Battie (nearly 8 and 7 in 24 mins on 55% shooting, not really decent, but the best they´ve got). Walker doesn´t have much of an inside game (or better he doesn´t like to go inside) and his rebounding took a dive this year. The Celtics don´t have any inside out whatsoever, that´s why they have to rely on jumpshots and 3´s so heavily. Yet their two topscorers barly shoot 40%, and the team is really hurt by the new defensive rules. Vin Baker is a bust, and they probably miss special K. All in all they are an average team at best and wouldn´t be over .500 in the western conference.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 04:07 AM   #10
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice

Even uglier...the Celts came back and beat Seattle by something like 40 points. Ergo: Pistons are about 90 points better than Seattle. Not.