Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 02-05-2008, 11:05 PM   #41
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

FP&A Manager for a major health services company. Involves yearly budgeting, monthly forecasting, P&L analysis, model building and any ad hoc analysis the V.P.’s need. Oh yea, I also make sure all the TPS reports have cover sheets.

I took a lot of entrepreneurial courses in business school and figured it’d be doing my own thing by now but, like Dan, I’ve become addicted to the steady paycheck…what can you do?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #42
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
FP&A Manager for a major health services company. Involves yearly budgeting, monthly forecasting, P&L analysis, model building and any ad hoc analysis the V.P.’s need. Oh yea, I also make sure all the TPS reports have cover sheets.

I took a lot of entrepreneurial courses in business school and figured it’d be doing my own thing by now but, like Dan, I’ve become addicted to the steady paycheck…what can you do?
Do you ever get to wear Hawaiian shirts on fridays?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #43
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Do you ever get to wear Hawaiian shirts on fridays?
Who doesn't look forward to Hawaiian shirt day? Isn't corporate America great?
Old 02-21-2008, 04:48 PM   #44
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
I too work under the bright lights of the corporate office environment. I got a B.S. in Computer Science, and then ended up in "Loss Prevention," which is interesting. Internal investigations, covert camera installations, exception reporting, inventory control...etc,etc... and some programming whenever and idea to improve upon current procedures strikes me.

I have an opportunity to move to a different department, if I learn VB 6 and a lot more SQL than I know now, for a very substantial increase in pay...but it would be infinitely more boring and tedious.
Well I took this job offer about 10 minutes ago. I get to do some of the things I do now, but mostly I'm going to be learning a lot of VB6 and some various machine languages. It's going to be boring.

But the money was the kind of jump in pay scale that you don't say no to. So I'm happy about that. Really happy about that.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:50 PM   #45
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

some of you actually have day jobs? that is some funny dookie.
ShaggyDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:51 PM   #46
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Bump

Well I took this job offer about 10 minutes ago. I get to do some of the things I do now, but mostly I'm going to be learning a lot of VB6 and some various machine languages. It's going to be boring.

But the money was the kind of jump in pay scale that you don't say no to. So I'm happy about that. Really happy about that.
Hey that's cool dude. Welcome back to full time development.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #47
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk
some of you actually have day jobs? that is some funny dookie.
I'm a crack/meth dealer by day, gigolo by night! (I was going to branch out into pimping soon, but according to Ice-T: pimpin' ain't easy...)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-21-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #48
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Hey that's cool dude. Welcome back to full time development.
Yeah. I have a lot of learning to do, but basically I was in an entry level position before that didn't pay worth a darn, and they figured they could put me in this position and pay me much less than the last guy who was there with lots of experience, and pay much less, and I'd be happy.

And they're right. I was making next to nothing before and now I'm making 50% more than next to nothing...which is something. So the company saves money...I move up in the world, and everybody wins.

I was able to leverage it a little when I informed them that all those intranet things I wrote for them were php/mysql and they don't have any php guys here. So I get to keep those under my umbrella as well.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #49
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

ShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond reputeShaggyDirk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
I'm a crack/meth dealer by day, gigolo by night! (I was going to branch out into pimping soon, but according to Ice-T: pimpin' ain't easy...)
impressive, most impressive.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:01 PM   #50
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyDirk
impressive, most impressive.

That's why I like you, Shaggy - we're on the same wavelength (but doing meth kinda has that effect!)

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM   #51
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah. I have a lot of learning to do, but basically I was in an entry level position before that didn't pay worth a darn, and they figured they could put me in this position and pay me much less than the last guy who was there with lots of experience, and pay much less, and I'd be happy.

And they're right. I was making next to nothing before and now I'm making 50% more than next to nothing...which is something. So the company saves money...I move up in the world, and everybody wins.

I was able to leverage it a little when I informed them that all those intranet things I wrote for them were php/mysql and they don't have any php guys here. So I get to keep those under my umbrella as well.
Now that, sir, is genius. When given free reign over a project, develop it in a way that ONLY you can support it.

This, my friend, is JOB SECURITY.

Genius.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com

Last edited by jthig32; 02-21-2008 at 06:42 PM.
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #52
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i work for a large consulting firm as a client manager.

pay is nice and the job is rewarding at times.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:06 PM   #53
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Now that, sir, is genius. When given free reign over a project, develop it in a way that ONLY you can support it.

This, my friend, is JOB SECURITY.

Genius.

lol yeah. I painted them into a corner pretty well on that one.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 02-21-2008 at 10:07 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:44 PM   #54
Ummmmm Ok
Platinum Member

Ummmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to allUmmmmm Ok is a name known to all

My parents own a welding fabrication shop and they are retiring, so I am taking it over. Hours suck major ass (one reason why I stopped posting here) but the pay is good (and will get better) and I will be retired by 50.

Too many leaders act as if the sheep.. their people.. are there for the benefit of the shepherd, not that the shepherd has responsibility for the sheep. Ken Blanchard

What we think determines what happens to us, so if we want to change our lives, we need to stretch our minds. Wayne Dyer

These are things that I read and live by!
Ummmmm Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:26 PM   #55
ShaggyDirk
Diamond Member

The following were taken from actual employee evaluations:

Since my last report, this employee has reached rock bottom and shows signs of starting to dig.

His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity.

I would not allow this man to breed.

This associate is really not so much of a has-been, but more of a definitely won't be.

Works well when under constant supervision and cornered like a rat in a trap.

When he opens his mouth, it seems that this is only to change whichever foot was previously in there.

He would be out of his depth in a parking lot puddle.

This man has delusions of adequacy.

He sets low personal standards and consistently fails to achieve them.

This employee should go far -- the sooner he starts, the better.

This employee is depriving a village somewhere of an idiot. <----- my favorite

Got into the gene pool while the lifeguard wasn't looking.

Got a full six-pack, but is missing the plastic thingy that holds it together.

Last edited by ShaggyDirk; 03-06-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #56
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog
Yes, Ice-T did say that pimping wasn't easy. But if you were paying attention you know that he followed that up with "but somebody's gotta do it". And let's face it, Ice isn't as young as he used to be. I say follow your heart.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #57
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000
And let's face it, Ice isn't as young as he used to be.
Plus, he's busy with the Law and Order.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:09 PM   #58
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

I work as the head counselor of an after school program at a local fun and fitness center for kids. I do it because I'm going to school to be a teacher.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote