Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-01-2002, 12:39 AM   #1
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

Is it buried back many pages, or not worth addressing?

Old 06-01-2002, 12:40 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

someone said something about it in another thread but I am not sure which one. Do you have any links Kat? I haven't seen a printed story yet...just bulletin boards.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:42 AM   #3
Deja-Vu

Deja-Vu is on a distinguished road

Whats the rumors about, I am sure, I can verify it or not....
Deja-Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:45 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

hmm, any links?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:46 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 06-01-2002, 12:47 AM   #6
Deja-Vu

So I take it you 2 don't know what the rumors are?
Old 06-01-2002, 12:53 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

do you actually read the threads?
Old 06-01-2002, 12:56 AM   #8
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< Is it buried back many pages, or not worth addressing? >>

Not worth addressing.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:57 AM   #9
Kat

Sorry, I was reading other threads. I heard it on the ticket today, they were at the lake and they devoted a huge amount of air time to it. They said it was confirmed in the Miami newspapers, Cuban has been talking with them since February about a possible trade. Zo is a free agent after next year, Miami wants to start rebuilding and are looking to move him. I haven't seen anything in print yet. But then, I haven't checked the Miami papers.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:01 AM   #10
Deja-Vu

Haven't been here that long, I have only read the more recent threads. Sorry, maybe you could fill me in on the rumor.......
Old 06-01-2002, 01:02 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Thanks Kat. Someone was saying they saw a print article but noone posted it.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:06 AM   #12
Deja-Vu

Thanks Kat, it would be great to get Zo on the Mavs. The Mavs will finally have a real center then....
Old 06-01-2002, 01:07 AM   #13
Kat

The guys on the ticket said no details have been leaked to the press, but that Miami wanted $$$$$, talent in return. They were talking about a few possible options, seems like more than a few teams are interested in Eddie, Esch, Fin.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:14 AM   #14
Drbio
Banned

I'd hate to lose Finley and Eddie but if Zo could be here I would have to consider it.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:18 AM   #15
Kat

But.............what about his health? That's why Miami is willing/trying to move him.
Old 06-01-2002, 10:54 AM   #16
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

<< I'd hate to lose Finley and Eddie but if Zo could be here I would have to consider it. >>

Fin for Zo?

No way I'd make that trade for the Mavericks. Zo could fall out at any time, and I doubt he can ever be as productive a player again as he was before last year.

I've been begging for a big man, but not this one....not at this price.

Shop on.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 11:37 AM   #17
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I'd do it.

There are about 5 &quot;true&quot; centers in the game today that are productive.

Shaq
Divac
Mutombo
Zo
Fill in the blank

Last year Zo averaged:
15.7 points
8.4 rebounds
2.48 blocks
52% FG

And played in 75 games. His most since 99, and his 4th best total ever. He will never match his stats of 95-96 but the Mavs **don't need** him to match his stats. The Mavs need him for his rebounding, blocks, low post presence (offense and defense), and toughness. If he scores, it's gravy, but we don't need his scoring.

I'd do the move in a heartbeat.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:02 PM   #18
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Theres no way in hell I would lose Finley who is our shooting guard fo rZo. First off without Finley we have no shooting guard and being that Finley plays aroudn 42 minutes a game we are crushed at the shooting guard posistion because he has no backup. If this si the only way we can get Zo here than might as well wait till 03 if he isnt retired yet to sign him because im in no rush for a championship and im sure the Mavs arent either. Though its getting a lil frustrated having all of thse blockbuster trades like we are trading just to win a championship for a year rather than let this team play with each other for awhile.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 12:29 PM   #19
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that if Zo is traded, Jones will be shipped as well.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:24 PM   #20
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

it doesnt make a whole lot of sense for miami, since finley has a long contract, and the motivation to trade ZO would probably be to clear salary cap space.

that said, i could see dallas dealing van exel + filler who has a few years left on his contract to miami for Zo.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 03:34 PM   #21
Drbio
Banned

I don't think that would get it done aexchange, but I sure wish it would be enough.
Old 06-01-2002, 04:26 PM   #22
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I can see using Fin to get Mutombo or Divac, but not Zo. His health is too worrisome, imo. That seems like a big gamble on the Mavs part.

If Miami is looking to rebuild, Fin's contract doesn't likely fit the bill there. Unless they have Jones going somewhere already on a sure deal.

Aexchange is probably closer...NVE, Esh, Griffin, Manning and cash?? Doesn't look real impressive, but Griffin and Manning only have a year left on their contracts.

Using Wang, Najera or Buckner is likely out since they'd have to agree to a sign-and-trade, wouldn't it?

Interesting to say the least, I hadn't heard this rumor yet.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:19 PM   #23
Drbio
Banned

MFF- yes. They would have to agree to the sign and trade in all likelihood. I think there is a non-matching FA agreement that could be used as well, but that circumvents the CBA, albeit legally, the league frowns on it. I would hate to see Fin go, so I hope that the others could bring someone bigger.
Old 06-01-2002, 06:24 PM   #24
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

also finley is going to be a BYC player, and it will take more than fin's contract to get zo. if you can get a eddie jones with zo, that would be great, and would probably send NVE + La Frentz or Finley + all kinds of trash to get them here.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 01:10 AM   #25
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I think this article was printed on Wednesday. It's the first interview from Riley in a while and there were some interesting comments about what direction he thinks the team should go in, etc...

Close to the end it mentions something about Dallas and Mourning. Nothing to do with the rumor that we've been talking about, but still interesting.

Text
Old 06-02-2002, 10:43 AM   #26
Drbio
Banned

damn...Mourning makes 20.6 million next season alone. Wow.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:41 AM   #27
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Sam Smith is at it again. Snagged it from LMF. This time no Finley. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Sam Smith from the Chicago Tribune suggests the following trade:

Mavs trades:
LaFrentz, Van Exel, Bradley, a 1st rounder, and 3 Million

Miami trades:
Alonzo Mourning

I think that this trade overestimates the value of Mounring by quite a lot but maybe that is so the trade will work for the salary cap.

I don't see this working for the fact I don't see LaFrentz agreeing to a move to Miami. I don't like it for the fact that LaFrentz has many more years in the NBA than Mourning does. And you just don't give away young centers.
Old 06-03-2002, 09:44 AM   #28
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

one thing mavsfanfinley, you'd be getting a guy that could be more effective defensively...much more
Old 06-03-2002, 09:56 AM   #29
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Oh, I won't argue there.

I'm thinking long term, I guess. Raef is young and can improve, imo. Teamed with Dirk is something I like in the front court.

I just don't see Mourning playing that much longer. I won't lie, his health is my biggest concern. Maybe I wouldn't be so hesitant either if he had 2-3 years left on his contract.

After this year, he could bolt.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:31 AM   #30
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Tho I think us mavs fans are overestimating how sick Zo really is I think with a good team and a different secenary he could be in this laegue minimum 4 more years. I think Zo would be a good fit but still I dont see Zo being here with Dirk at pf. Because of Dirks defense he should play soem small foward I think. I dont like the fact of giving up Lafrentz who has many more years to come in the nba just like MavsfanFinley said. If im going ot give up Lafrentz and Nick in that deal I want Eddie to be put in th edeal also. Im sure it doesent work salary cap wise but that is what it would take for me to agree to that.

1996-2005
Old 06-03-2002, 11:43 AM   #31
Bayliss

Dirk plays better at power forward than he does a small forward on both sides of the ball. Dirk's greatest strength offensively is his quickness against bigger or same size players. Swing the ball to Dirk about 20 feet away and unless someone double teams him then **every power forward or center** looks like a deer caught in the headlights. He can either explode right past them or shoot the J over them. If you move him to small forward you are essentially negating that natural advantage that Dirk has. Yes he can shoot over the top of smaller players at the 3, but I'd rathe him being quicker than 4's than slower than 3's.

Also on the defensive end it's much the same way. Dirk needs to work on his position on the blocks. He's best suited to work on that at the 4. He can muscle with just about any power forward. It's technique though though that he needs to learn. And if you move him to the 3 and he has to guard the wing, then most 3's can blow by him because for a power forward he has good lateral quickness but for a small forward he does not have good lateral quickness.

Old 06-03-2002, 11:58 AM   #32
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Yea But guarding a Power Foward like a Juwan or a Anthony Mason or a Horace Grant in other words a big power foward Dirk is gonna get banged up and will more than likely alter his shot on the offensive end. I guess u make agood point about the 3's beating him off the dribble but I would much rather a 3 beat him off the dribble than get banged up with a power foward.

1996-2005
Old 06-03-2002, 12:40 PM   #33
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Agree pretty much word for word with Bayliss's post below.

Dirk can learn to defend the 4s. He's a big boy already, and he can put on more muscle as his body matures. If the coaches will commit to teaching him some techniques/tricks to the position, with regular experience he should become a decent defender. He seems to have the athleticism (to defend the 4).
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2002, 02:26 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

well done Bayliss.

I think we need someone to take the beatings off Dirk on a nightly basis.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:08 PM   #35
inluvwithnash332

inluvwithnash332 is on a distinguished road

<< The guys on the ticket said no details have been leaked to the press, but that Miami wanted $$$$$, talent in return. They were talking about a few possible options, seems like more than a few teams are interested in Eddie, Esch, Fin. >>

Esch? what do they want with him? hey and what exactly are the possibilities that were gonna get him.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:41 PM   #36
Drbio
Banned

I'd say it is unrealistic right now. But I hope I am wrong.

Keep Finley out of it though.
Old 06-03-2002, 10:51 PM   #37
Drbio
Banned

From ESPN Insider.....

Is Zo heading to the Mavs?
Would Pat Riley trade Alonzo Mourning even though both have stated their desire for Zo to end his career in Miami? The Chicago Tribune writes the Heat have been exploring a Mourning trade since mid-January with the Mavs, who might package Raef LaFrentz, Nick Van Exel, a first-round pick, one of their excess big guys and cash for Zo. PLUS, the latest on Andre Miller and Michael Jordan.

Old 06-03-2002, 10:55 PM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

i'd hate to lose raef
Old 06-03-2002, 10:57 PM   #39
Drbio
Banned

Me too but it's the only way outside of losing Finley that the numbers would work. Zo is a short timer. Raef is future star.
Old 06-03-2002, 11:57 PM   #40
MavsFanFinley
Guru

Raef falls into the catergory of Najera, Wang and Buckner...

He would have to agree to a sign-and-trade if we're going to use him in any trade.

I don't see him favoring Miami, imo.