Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-19-2002, 05:55 PM   #1
DTL
Diamond Member

DTL is on a distinguished road

wow.

so i guess j. wlliams won't be the no. 1 pick.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2002, 06:03 PM   #2
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

i think houston will try to sell this pick on any price for a decent big man.

la clips might be very interested in dealing with the mavs now with another 2 decent first round picks, i guess olowokandi for nick is on the table now

j
Old 05-19-2002, 06:09 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Houston ought to dangle this in front of every team that wants Jay Williams. Just let 'em get into a bidding war for him.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 06:17 PM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

yup ...
just curious - if you´d were NY ... how much would you offer?
Old 05-19-2002, 06:22 PM   #5
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< la clips might be very interested in dealing with the mavs now with another 2 decent first round picks, i guess olowokandi for nick is on the table now >>

I missed it... what picks do they have?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 06:32 PM   #6
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

8 and 12
Old 05-19-2002, 06:41 PM   #7
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

<< yup ...
just curious - if you´d were NY ... how much would you offer?
>>

I don't even know if NY has the assets to make a serious offer. And to make things worse, they've got 3 crappy PGs right now that nobody wants.
Old 05-19-2002, 06:44 PM   #8
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

1) Why doesn't Houston take Ming? Isn't he almost as valuable from a marketing standpoint there than either of the other coasts? And he actually comes close to fitting in with the personnel--Griffin, Taylor, Ming, Francis...etc. 12-15 more years of Mavericks players staring into the armpits of Rockets centers. D&eacute;j&aacute; vu.

2) NYKs have nothing of interest to offer Houston. They can play it safe with their 7th pick and Layden doesn't have to expose himself to accusations of ineptitude. Unless he wants to package said 7th pick with Latrine to move up.....

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2002, 07:04 PM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

I don't know about Ming. I just don't know. Houston needs help now, and do you wanna mess around with all the Red tape?

Houston has all the great guards, what they need is someone with some size to go with the guards and Eddie Griffin. Ming has size.

But if they don't want to risk taking Ming, they can trade down a few spots and get somebody like Chris Wilcox, Drew Gooden, Qyntel Woods or another PF-type body. Or maybe Curtis Borchardt. If it was me, I would be talking with China pre-draft, and if they were being punks about it, I would trade my pick and let somebody else mess with Ming/take Jay Williams.

Maybe they take the 6-11 Russian kid (Nickoloz Tskitishvili), but he's skinny at 220 lbs. They've already got a waif, and a damn good one, in Griffin.

Nene Hilario is another interesting guy they might want to trade down for...... supposedly a great shot blocker. Also on the lanky side, but not as so as Tskitishvili. Not as much beef as Wilcox. In between the two somewhere, and supposed to be amazingly athletic. He sounds like someone the Mavs could use.

They need size, and other than Ming, whose risk is well-discussed, the size in the draft is in picks 5-10, I think. (Williams, Dunleavy, Wagner all being small.)
Old 05-20-2002, 01:50 AM   #10
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Gawd this reminds me of the Spurs back when they landed the top pick after a crappy injury-filled season. The Rockets were an above .500 team last year and almost made the playoffs. Now because of a bunch of injuries, they get the number one pick. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I'm still not sold on Ming going number one. I think the Rockets trade down and get someone like Dunleavy.
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 11:06 AM   #11
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

That's exactly what I thought, DJ. It's why I hate the lottery. At least this year, there's no Duncan in the draft.

It is beyond me how a team can win 60 games and then a year later be drafting Tim Duncan. While the Mavs sucked for 10 years and had the 2nd pick once, and the 4th pick twice. It's crap.
Old 05-20-2002, 11:30 AM   #12
SeomanSnowlock

SeomanSnowlock is on a distinguished road

The Rockets should consider offering the Clippers the #1 pick in exchange for Olowakandi. There would have to be some additional players thrown in. I wouldn't be surprised if the Clippers were wanting to move a couple of their younger players as well such as Maggette.

This would allow the Clippers to use the #1 pick to get a player relatively cheap for 4 years. They could possibly draft Ming and use him to boost interest in the team.

The Rockets would get Olowakandi in exchange and he would help boost the Rockets to a team that could possibly win 50 games.

Old 05-20-2002, 12:04 PM   #13
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

hmm.... Kandi and Magette..... that's not too bad. Run Francis, Mobley, Magette, Taylor and Kandi. Not bad at all.

The Clips could stay cheap and help clear the SF logjam. That's not bad at all. If I was a Rockets fan. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2002, 01:13 PM   #14
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

But what would the Clippers gain by doing this? They'd lose one of the few real big man prospects (Kandi) and Magette for what--Ming? No way. Huge step back in the short run. They need to make the playoffs next year. If not Ming, then Williams? Nah. If they were bothered about a point guard they'd work to re-sign McInnis.

Plus, Brand has said that his (upcoming) decision on whether or not to re-sign with LACs would be based on how they dealt with Kandi--so there they'd lose again in a couple of years.

Not sure what Clips will do, but I don't think they're going to go firesale to accommodate Rockets.

My instinct tells me that several teams are happy to sit back this draft and let the Rockets assume the risk with Ming, and then pick the best of what's left.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:27 PM   #15
SeomanSnowlock

The Clippers would have the #1 draft pick with the opportunity to draft a guy that would instantly sell tickets and would be a relatively cheap player for 4 years.
They would get rid of a guy in Maggette who they might not be able to afford. If they can afford him, the Clippers still have a glut at the position. They would also be getting rid of a guy in Olowakandi that might cost more than they are willing to spend. The Rockets would be forced to throw in a few more pieces but this is an interesting scenario to look out for.

One thing to remember, the Clippers' main objective isn't to win at all costs.
Old 05-20-2002, 01:35 PM   #16
SeomanSnowlock

I would be surprised to see a sudden change in heart by the Clips' owner. I don't see him dishing out the money to sign players such as Olowakandi or dealing out the money that it'll take to resign Brand when his contract is up.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:57 PM   #17
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

They could also draft Jay Williams and trade Francis for a big man.
Old 05-20-2002, 03:57 PM   #18
djb
Administrator

Of course that'll happen just as soon as the Mavs re-sign Kidd.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:00 PM   #19
SeomanSnowlock

Not much telling what they will do with the pick. One thing is for sure, it allows them the opportunity to solidify the middle via trade. They could be the next team to break into the elite in the NBA.
They could take a huge step to join the Lakers, Spurs, Kings, and Mavs.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:23 PM   #20
scooterj5
Golden Member

scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Dj I don't know how far Houston can trade down to get Dunleavy. His stock is rising the most, since he is seen as the 'blue chip' in the draft. I read somewhere me might even go 1.
Old 05-20-2002, 04:28 PM   #21
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

3 Guard lineup with Stevie Franchise, Mobley, and J Will...Sick Nasty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img].
Old 05-20-2002, 05:45 PM   #22
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< But what would the Clippers gain by doing this? They'd lose one of the few real big man prospects (Kandi) and Magette for what--Ming? No way. Huge step back in the short run. They need to make the playoffs next year. If not Ming, then Williams? Nah. If they were bothered about a point guard they'd work to re-sign McInnis. >>

Clippers would gain financially. Trading Olawakandi out just as he's ready for a raise to replace him with another rookie contract. It fits Sterling's MO. Remember Olowakandi is *already* the highest-paid clipper ever and that's before his extension kicks in.

If it was any other team, I would agree with you in dismissing it, but Sterling has been too consistent over the years for this not to be a legitimate possibility. Sterling has always been willing to burn down his franchise to keep from having to pay too much.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2002, 08:24 PM   #23
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

I know that Sterling has a reputation as a fool, a flake and a skinflint, so I don't dismiss any possibility.

But logically, if the point of drafting Ming is to attract fans, I'd say that would be a very calculated gamble. The Clip fans I see commenting think the Clips are pretty much on the verge of something with the cast of talent they have out there; that they need to make a couple of acquisitions, but that they have almost an incredible amount of flexibility in terms of dealmaking.

If the owner signals that cost containment is the strategy (i.e., fails to resign Kandi), then I can't imagine Clips fans continuing to show much support for the team, Ming or no Ming.

Baylor is supposed to've said that they'll match any offer to Kandi, and Clips fans seem to be taking him at his word. It just seems like there comes a time when they have to bite the bullet and actually put a contender on the court, rather than skimming $$$.

Odom, as damaged goods, would seem the most likely trade bait.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:18 PM   #24
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

<< But logically, if the point of drafting Ming is to attract fans, I'd say that would be a very calculated gamble. The Clip fans I see commenting think the Clips are pretty much on the verge of something with the cast of talent they have out there; that they need to make a couple of acquisitions, but that they have almost an incredible amount of flexibility in terms of dealmaking. >>

But the point to getting Yao isn't necessarily to draw fans, at least not for Sterling. Olawakandi is just about to end his rookie contract, at which time, he will get a major raise. If Sterling trades him to Houston for Yao's pick, then he doesn't have to pay Olawakandi's raise--he only has to pay Yao who will be starting his own rookie contract and locked up at bargain prices for another 4 years.

Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:24 PM   #25
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

Right. I understood your point.

Just appears that Clips fans are ready to move past the excitement of building and on to the excitement of contending. My sense is that the team would step back (at least in the short term)by replacing Kandi with Ming, and that Clips fans aren't going to continue to support a team whose ownership demonstrates too obvious a willingness to merely live off the fat of the league, whilst perpetually fielding the NBA equivalent of the New Jersey Generals. Case in point: Charlotte.

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:37 PM   #26
SeomanSnowlock

Judging from the Clippers past, the owner has no problem taking a step back if it means saving money.
Old 05-21-2002, 03:01 PM   #27
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< Just appears that Clips fans are ready to move past the excitement of building and on to the excitement of contending. My sense is that the team would step back (at least in the short term)by replacing Kandi with Ming, and that Clips fans aren't going to continue to support a team whose ownership demonstrates too obvious a willingness to merely live off the fat of the league, whilst perpetually fielding the NBA equivalent of the New Jersey Generals. Case in point: Charlotte. >>

I have no disagreement with your view of Clippers fans wants at this time. I'm just not sure that Sterling gives a flying f*** about what the fans want. Replacing Kandi with Yao would definitely be a step back--even if Yao turns out to be a true superstar in this league, he's a project to begin with. Of course, it would be less of a step back than letting Kandi go for nothing next year which would also be very much in Sterling's style.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:44 PM   #28
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Rockets start draft homework with much attention on Yao Ming

By MICHAEL A. LUTZ
AP Sports Writer
May 21, 2002

HOUSTON (AP) -- The Houston Rockets are looking at their options with the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, and they all seem to be pointing to 7-foot-5 center Yao Ming of China.

General manager Carroll Dawson acknowledged that with plenty of other elite players to consider, the Rockets have much work to do before the June 26 draft. But the intriguing possibility of the Rockets selecting a center with superstar potential -- as they did with Hakeem Olajuwon in 1984 -- has everyone excited.

``On the street, I have a hard time going anywhere,'' Dawson said. ``It brings a lot of talk and that has to be considered. Believe me, it will be.''

That doesn't mean he's complaining.

``The first pick has a great feel to it, and being on the inside is very exciting,'' Dawson added. ``We are still on a big high.''

The Rockets expect to listen to all offers, but Dawson thinks it will be difficult to part with the first pick.

``I'm sure we'll get offers for this pick, but very few teams ever trade it,'' he said. ``We, as a franchise, will listen to everything and try to do what is best for the franchise. This will be a hard pick to trade. There is kind of a good feeling about having the first pick.''

Yao is among a small group of possible No. 1 picks that includes Duke's Jay Williams and Mike Dunleavy.

Although Yao is nearing his childhood goal of playing in the NBA, obstacles still face him from his government before he actually can wear a pro uniform.

Even getting Yao to Houston for a workout isn't assured.

``We are in the process of trying, but we don't know where we are right now but we'll see,'' Dawson said. ``We haven't been able to find out his schedule for June. I know the league is trying to get him back for the draft, but I don't have an answer on that.''

Dawson doesn't know how difficult it would be to negotiate a contract with Yao.

``I think what we have to go by is what the NBA rules are and I think we'll find out all of that,'' Dawson said. ``There are a lot of choices we have and that's the thing we're looking into.''

Dawson was at Yao's workout for NBA officials earlier this month in Chicago and came away impressed.

``He has a tremendous upside,'' Dawson said. ``As he matures, he'll get much better. You never know how two guys will grow. In the case of Olajuwon, he just got better every year and eventually led up to a championship.''

The Rockets won NBA titles in 1994 and `95, led by Olajuwon, who was traded to Toronto before last season.

``When you watch a big man run, you look for lower body strength and how much time it takes to stop and go the other way,'' Dawson said. ``It takes a long runway for some guys to stop and turn around. He runs like a 6-5 guy.''

And the downside?

``The growing part, the physical part, he's not used to yet and neither are any other players,'' Dawson said. ``We'll have to see how he develops there.''

The Rockets planned to work out small forward Caron Butler of Connecticut on Thursday. Amare Stoudemire of Cypress Creek High School in Florida was to work out for the coaching staff Friday.

Old 05-23-2002, 05:35 AM   #29
David
Golden Member

David is on a distinguished road

I hope the Rockets draft Yao Ming so we can witness the titanic battles between him and Bradley 4 times a year. If they draft Yao, the Mavs CAN'T trade Bradley because of the possible mismatch that will occur if the Mavs DON'T have Bradley.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 08:57 PM   #30
djb
Administrator

There's an NBA Insider link (yea yea I know that stuff's usually bogus) that mentions the number pick for McDyess. Anyone know how something like this would work? I'm guessing guys like Rice and Thomas would have to be sent over as well. Damn Rockets..ALWAYS getting lucky in the offseason.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:02 PM   #31
SeomanSnowlock

The Mavs would put Nash on Ming so that the Mavs would have a mismatch on offense.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:05 PM   #32
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Yao's representatives chat with Rockets

By MICHAEL A. LUTZ
AP Sports Writer
May 23, 2002

HOUSTON (AP) -- Houston Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson met with representatives of possible No. 1 draft pick Yao Ming of China on Thursday.

The Rockets won the NBA lottery on Sunday, earning the top draft pick, and their attention immediately turned to 7-foot-5-inch Ming -- the most intriguing prospect available in the June 26 draft.

Dawson invited Yao's representatives, John Huizinga and Erik Zhang, a distant cousin of Yao, to visit Houston and get acquainted.

``We had a very good day of getting to know each other,'' Dawson said.

Dawson showed Huizinga and Zhang some of the Houston's amenities, and gave Zhang a videotape describing the city's positive aspects to take with him to China for talks with Yao and Chinese government officials about Yao's move to the NBA.

``We wanted the opportunity to show off our great city,'' Rockets chief operating officer George Postolos said. ``One of the best things that we heard is that Yao Ming is a fan of Houston and his idol growing up was Hakeem Olajuwon.

``He likes the idea of playing in Houston. It was music to our ears.''

Postolos told television station KRIV that Houston mayor Lee Brown was in China on a trade mission and planned to speak with Chinese officials about Yao.

``It's quite important, because in China protocol matters very much,'' Postolos said.

``The idea that a foreign dignitary, the mayor of Houston, is visiting and expressing how much excitement there is in Houston about the possibility that Yao Ming may come to play for the Rockets, and could be an ambassador for China, and improve U.S. and Chinese relations, could be very important.''

Olajuwon was the Rockets' No. 1 pick in the 1984 draft and led them to championships in 1994 and 1995. The Rockets traded Olajuwon to Toronto before last season.

Dawson took the pair on a tour of the Rockets practice facilities at Westside Tennis Club and the team's new downtown arena, which is under construction.

``Our goal and the goal of the Chinese Basketball Association is to do what is best for Yao Ming, and in turn what is best for the Houston Rockets,'' Zhang said.

The Rockets and Yao's representatives didn't get into the heavy issues of what it will take to get the Chinese hero into the NBA. It was just a preliminary, get-acquainted visit.

``We aren't doing anything different from what we normally do, it's just who you are representing that makes it a little different,'' Dawson said.

Huizinga is deputy dean of the University of Chicago business school and a professor of economics. Yao and his family asked Zhang to handle negotiations with the Chinese authorities.

Huizinga will handle talks with the NBA and its teams.

``It's not important at this point that we reach an agreement, what's important now is just to know who we are dealing with,'' Huizinga said.

Old 05-23-2002, 09:06 PM   #33
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the Rockets take Ming at #1. But I also think the draft is predetermined.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 09:08 PM   #34
djb
Administrator

If the Knicks had landed the top pick, it would be obvious. The Rockets getting the top pick is much more subtle..but Houston does have a huge asian population and they are trying to get people to fill the seats in their new arena.
Old 05-23-2002, 09:14 PM   #35
Drbio
Banned

That is exactly why I think it makes sense. Houston's franchise needs to make money again and it will take Ming to do it. The arena is set...but the star is not. Francis and Ming have the potential to be very good together.

The NY thing with Ewing is what first made me think this way.
Old 05-24-2002, 06:40 PM   #36
dallmav

dallmav is on a distinguished road

I believe that ming with be nothing more than a Shawn Bradley part 2. He isnt worth the #1 pick in the draft IMO. I could be wrong. We will see in time.
dallmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 06:41 PM   #37
Hales233
Golden Member

Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Ming might end up being allright but certainly not a #1 pick.
Old 05-24-2002, 07:30 PM   #38
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

He's a ticket seller, at least.
Old 05-24-2002, 10:41 PM   #39
Drbio
Banned

He's a ticket seller, at least.

and unfortunately that is what drives teams these days...