Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 04-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #1
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future
Default The Imus Stuff

Let me first qualify my comments by stating that I don't care nor like the Imus show. So the fan in me is glad that he is off the air, at least for now.

But when I look at this situation, I find that the Media and us as a nation, seem to have selective outrage when it comes to racial comments.

Forgive me, as this will seem rather foolish as I don't hold on to or keep a record of comments that others have made. I however, have heard racialy divisive comments made by others with no outrage by some cultural communities.

Is it perhaps because it was a member of their community that made it, so they don't call him out.

Amidst the Imus stuff...I hope to see more and more people pointing out the racially divisive comments made by others in the days to come. Regardless of our own cultural background, or ethnicity...if you are outraged by Imus, then you will be outraged by your own common ethnicity member when they say something publicly...

For example, there has been a comment in the past by Rev. Al Sharpton in which he talked about those Thieving Jews, and then later said that he didn't need to say Jews because we all knew what he meant. Why then, did we not have the same outrage at Rev. Sharpton?

I am certain many of you have examples of comments that have been made...for that matter how about the very public comments that politicians have made about comparing President Bush to Hitler? Politicians are the worst at creating divisive communications, but if it's against someone that the media or people don't like, then apparantly it's okay.

It appears to me that defending social injustice only works one way...that is selective in nature and only when it benefits me or my kind.

So much for free speech...It's only a freedom as long as your speech doesn't hurt me...think about it, perhaps we should simply no longer speak at all...
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

First free speech is not an issue when you are talking about your employer. NONE. Your employer has a right to fire you for any breach that's justified. In this case not firing imus was going to hurt his business, easy choice.

With respect to the rest, the media has become close to the national enquirer all of the time. To be honest, when I read a news article, I go find a blogger who's judgement I at least respect to get their take on it, until then it's suspect as hell.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Apr 12 - IMUS: 'WHEN WILL SHARPTON APOLOGIZE TO DUKE PLAYERS'?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radio personality Don Imus has called out for justice in the Duke Lacrosse scandal, wondering where Rev. Al Sharpton's apology is for that false accusation.

Imus, while no longer part of MSNBC, is on the air today, and discussed the controversial case made against the white Duke Lacrosse players. "When will Al Sharpton be apologizing to them?" said Imus.

Imus also discussed MSNBC's decision. He discussed the fact that MSNBC had cancelled the simulcast "twelve hours before we were getting ready to conduct this radio-thon for these three charities."

Imus stated: "My position on all of this is not whining about the hideously hypocritical coverage from the newspapers -- from everybody -- or the lack of support, say, from people like Harold Ford, Jr. who I had my life threatened over supporting and all these kind of things. It all began, and it doesn't make any difference -- like [James] Carville said -- stop talking about the context, it doesn't make any difference. If I hadn't have said it I wouldn't be here. So let's stop whining about it...You gotta stop complaining. I said a stupid, idiotic thing that desperately hurt these kids. I'm going to apologize but we gotta move on."

Imus continued expressing his feelings: "The hypocrisy is absurd...Everybody knows what the deal is. And this is not over. This story does not end here."

He also said regarding MSNBC's decision: "I understand the pressure they were under. I'm not stupid."

Imus spoke with the mother (African-American) of a child who attended his camp. Imus said, "And I want to say to you as an African-American woman, I'm sorry for what I said...I want to apologize to all African-American women." The woman said, "Okay, I accept that."

Imus noted the support of arch rivals of Howard Stern, his own broadcast nemesis, the stars of satellite radio XM, Opie and Anthony: "I want to thank Opie & Anthony...I love them and I love what they do. I know they offend people perhaps more than I do. They're good loyal guys...Even Howard [Stern] hasn't been horrible."

Matt Drudge reports that "despite the controversy, Imus says contributions for The Tomorrows Children Fund and the Imus Ranch are 'way, way up' compared to this time in the show last year, which is significant because 'the money's more important this year than ever.' "

Drudge reported that MSNBC's Imus webpage was still up, with a statement and link to Imus' charities.

"I'm not surprised by any of this. I'm not surprised at the hypocrisy of Al Sharpton, of Jesse Jackson or any of these people. But you can't whine about it," aid Imus on the air.

"We can talk about all the good work that I've done forever, but I still said that. I'm not making any excuses. Everybody's got to stop whining and quit talking about it."

Drudge reports that Imus spoke of his future meeting with the Rutgers basketball players: "I can't go through the rest of my life -- nor can they -- without us having this conversation and me telling them how I feel and, more importantly, them telling me how they feel.
I guess Imus said if i'm going down Sharpton and Jackson are coming with me lol.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

I guess that is my point or take on the issue. If we are going to point the finger at one individual, then we must point the finger at all individuals.

When you do that, you effectively remove all aspects of free speech.

Aint consequences a beach!!!

You could take this to another common issue...Prayer in School...I'm a conservative christian, however I do not want Prayer in school. The main reason, is that if you allow one prayer to one God, then you must allow all prayers to whichever gods...

What would happen if we had Prayer in school and some teacher happen to be a Satanist and prayed to satan every day.

My apologies for the sidebar...I just get the impression that the reaction on the Imus is rather selective and agenda filled with no regard for the real issue.
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
usafreedom3

usafreedom3 has a spectacular aura aboutusafreedom3 has a spectacular aura aboutusafreedom3 has a spectacular aura about

The liberals devoured one of their own in order to be able to effectively push the "fairness doctrine", which will be directly aimed at conservative talk radio. Since liberals have tried exhaustively and failed at talk radio, and it is really the last place conservatives have to get a fair shot, this is the beginning of their attempts.
The American people are strong (most of them) and will defy this attempt, and good will win out in the end. I do not like Imus, but he should not have been fired for his offensive comments, just like the "justice brothers" Sharpton and Jackson should not be censored from their race baiting. Let the free market decide, as it is usually right to leave these decisions in the hands of the American people, who are much wiser than the so-called mainstream media gives them credit for. Yesterday was a bad day for free speech in America.
usafreedom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #6
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by usafreedom3
The liberals devoured one of their own in order to be able to effectively push the "fairness doctrine", which will be directly aimed at conservative talk radio. Since liberals have tried exhaustively and failed at talk radio, and it is really the last place conservatives have to get a fair shot, this is the beginning of their attempts.
The American people are strong (most of them) and will defy this attempt, and good will win out in the end. I do not like Imus, but he should not have been fired for his offensive comments, just like the "justice brothers" Sharpton and Jackson should not be censored from their race baiting. Let the free market decide, as it is usually right to leave these decisions in the hands of the American people, who are much wiser than the so-called mainstream media gives them credit for. Yesterday was a bad day for free speech in America.
interesting....

Is don imus a liberal? I honestly don't know -- i've never listened to two minutes of his show.

I understand that the CBS' decision to can Imus occured sometime after the 'nappy headed ho' remark, but the timing was remarkably coincident with the decision of major advertisers to pull ads. If it is the case that CBS canned Imus because they were about to lose some big advertising revenue, is this not a case where the free market has decided?

cheers
Old 04-13-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
usafreedom3

usafreedom3 has a spectacular aura aboutusafreedom3 has a spectacular aura aboutusafreedom3 has a spectacular aura about

I think you make a good point, but why did the advertisers pull their ads all of a sudden, when in fact Imus has made numerous, numerous offensive comments about almost every race in the past 30 years. Did the holier than thou folks at CBS and MSNBC wake up last week and just realize he was offensive? My main problem is that I believe some of these advertisers backed out because they feared being "shook" down by Sharpton, Jackson and the other blatant "reverse racism" punks. My point is that while free speech does not allow you to say anything (like yell fire in a crowded theater), there are many, many worse things said, sung and rapped every single day, and nobody threatens to take those people off of the air, nor should they.
Also, mark my word- CBS and MSNBC are going to use this issue to run IMUS under the bus, and then will hire a minority to host a show to take IMUS's place, and try to cowtow and show themselves as a network of equality, when if you look at their current lineups, they are lilly white! The double standard is pathetic.

Last edited by usafreedom3; 04-13-2007 at 12:21 PM.
usafreedom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Imus should have been on the offensive from the beginning. If he'd gone on Sharpton's show and called Sharpton a racist and bigot and a white and jew hater, etc., instead of grovelling (as if Sharpton was going to let up during his big moment as a "leader"), he'd be way ahead. Sure it was offensive, and it was wrong, and Imus is pigheaded, but plenty of entertainers make their living doing that. If he'd brought that out front to Sharpton instead of acting like his own bigotted comment just kinda "slipped out," people wouldn't have so much room to paint him as a closet racist. Sharpton is one of those people who make a living with offensive, pigheaded screeching, and should not be treated as if he's got some kind of moral high ground on racially offensive commentary. By pointing that out after he got fired, Imus just sounds like a bitter hypocrite, lashing out after his grovelling didn't work.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

I listened to him during my morning commute...

This asshole was regularly calling people racists, turn out he was one all along but the Dems and some media types ignored it because he was their little racist.

Democratic politicians lose a soapbox with firing of Don Imus

By Peter Wallsten, Times Staff Writer
April 13, 2007

WASHINGTON — They came by the hundreds that hot August day in tiny Johnson City, Tenn., gathering on an asphalt parking lot to meet Rep. Harold E. Ford Jr. It was not just that he might become the state's first black senator. More than that, even in Republican eastern Tennessee, the Democratic congressman was a celebrity — a regular guest on Don Imus' radio show.

And today, with Imus' career in tatters, the fate of the controversial shock jock is stirring quiet but heartfelt concern in an unlikely quarter: among Democratic politicians.

That's because, over the years, Democrats such as Ford came to count on Imus for the kind of sympathetic treatment that Republicans got from Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity.

Equally important, Imus gave Democrats a pipeline to a crucial voting bloc that was perennially hard for them to reach: politically independent white men.

With Imus' show canceled indefinitely because of his remarks about the Rutgers University women's basketball team, some Democratic strategists are worried about how to fill the void. For a national radio audience of white men, Democrats see few if any alternatives.

"This is a real bind for Democrats," said Dan Gerstein, an advisor to one of Imus' favorite regulars, Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.). "Talk radio has become primarily the province of the right, and the blogosphere is largely the province of the left. If Imus loses his microphone, there aren't many other venues like it around."

Jim Farrell, a former aide to 2000 presidential candidate and Imus regular Bill Bradley, said the firing "creates a vacuum."

This week, when Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.) was asked by CNN why he picked Imus' show to announce his presidential candidacy, Dodd explained: "He's got a huge audience; he gives you enough time to talk, not a 30-second sound bite, a chance to explain your views; … and a chance to reach the audience who doesn't always watch the Sunday morning talk shows."

Though Imus was a regular destination for the likes of Dodd, Ford, Lieberman, 2004 Democratic presidential nominee Sen. John F. Kerry and others — as well as such GOP figures as Sen. John McCain of Arizona — his influence has long been debated.

Talkers Magazine ranks him far below Limbaugh and liberal Ed Schultz in terms of power. His audience is dwarfed by many others, and he is not heard in some major markets [though his show was simulcast on cable TV]. One senior Democratic strategist, requesting anonymity to avoid insulting some of his party's power players, said the show was no more than a "locker room for middle-age politicians."

Not all high-level Democrats were drawn to the self-styled "I-Man." Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), a party presidential front-runner and a frequent target of Imus' jokes, said she never had the desire to appear.

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), the other current front-runner, appeared once — but he was the first presidential candidate to call this week for Imus' ouster.

Ford strategists believe his relationship with Imus was central to earning credibility in the eyes of white voters in conservative regions of Tennessee. "That's how I got to know Harold, seeing him on Imus," said Ben Scharfstein, owner of the One Stop convenience store in Johnson City, who turned over his parking lot that August day for the campaign event.

But even Scharfstein said he had now had it with Imus. "I'm going to have to turn Don off now," he said. "His ego has gotten ahead of himself, and that's not worth watching."

And Ford was hardly leaping to the defense of his radio ally despite repeated on-air pleas from Imus to appear in his defense. Ford on Thursday called Imus' statements "reprehensible," though he added that Imus was a friend and a "decent man."
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

he's so f*ckin ugly
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:43 AM   #11
come_on_now

come_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the roughcome_on_now is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
interesting....

Is don imus a liberal? I honestly don't know -- i've never listened to two minutes of his show.

I understand that the CBS' decision to can Imus occured sometime after the 'nappy headed ho' remark, but the timing was remarkably coincident with the decision of major advertisers to pull ads. If it is the case that CBS canned Imus because they were about to lose some big advertising revenue, is this not a case where the free market has decided?

cheers
No, Don Imus is not a liberal. He's one of those rare individuals that will think an issue out and then arise to an opinion rather than label it "liberal" or "nazi" and spit out a party talking point like everyone else seems to do now a-days. He's a dying breed that actually thinks without hate of the "enemy" party. He'll win in the end because now he can go to satellite radio and do his TV broadcast on cable. These jerk-offs at the demonstrations have accomplished nothing.

The Imus situation is sad, sad, but dude has a point. An employer has the right to fire you. And Imus was fired due to ad dollars being pulled, not anything he said. Imus wasn't fired by the government so anyone crying constitutional BS is yelling at the wall.

Years from now when your grandchild asks "who are the nappy headed hoes?" you can thank Al Sharpton and the media for making them be remembered in that way. None of us would have ever known about it, much less black girls at Rutgers (who aren't in Imus' demographic and weren't listening either) and the statement would have disipated in thin air like radio waves do.

And isn't "nappy headed hoes" something coined by bruthas? Maybe they should quit coming up with that shit if they don't want to hear it.
come_on_now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:18 AM   #12
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

I have listened to Imus quite a bit and come on now does a pretty good job of describing him and the situation. I don't agree with: "And isn't "nappy headed hoes" something coined by bruthas? Maybe they should quit coming up with that shit if they don't want to hear it.", because the Rutgers girls have nothing to do with what a "brutha" might say in a song.

The only reason Imus is called a liberal is because he backed Kerry in the presidential race, although towards the end he admitted that Kerry was making it harder and harder to support him with some of the flip flops and fake hunting trip stunts he was pulling. He is one of the most independent media personalities discussing politics I've ever heard when compared to other people who have the pull to get high profile guests.

I completely agree that the Rutgers girls would have never even known that Imus made the joke if it weren't for the overblown media response. Imus has made worse comments than "nappy headed hos" on a daily basis and most of then were about the guest he was interviewing or about to interview that morning. Imus bags on everyone. Even the people he supports. So he thought the Rutgers girls looked a little rough. So what?
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluffy banter