Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 08-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default NFL Sunday Ticket (and other options)

OK... So, as a lot of you know, I lived in Temple for many years and recently moved to Nashville for work. I bleed silver and blue and just CAN'T live without my Cowboy games, SO... With that said, what options do I have other than changing over to DirecTV to get their NFL Sunday Ticket?

I had DirecTV about 10 years ago and I hated their guide and the way the service would crap out when it rained. When I came across Time Warner I loved them and kept them until I just recently left the area. They of course didn't have NFL Sunday Ticket, but I didn't need it where I lived as I got those games for free. Now, I will need NFL, NBA, and MLB, (I already ordered MLB for the Rangers with my current cable company).

I just went on DirecTV's site and they have a cool enough deal running right now but they have all of these extra fees I am not used to, (6 per month to friggin call for support if THEIR shit doesn't work - really?), and really just unwilling to pay. It seems like I will end up paying 40% more for about 10% more TV channels. Yeah, more HD, but so what. I have the HD channels now that I need for the most part so why pay 40% more for 10% more usage if I don't have to.

Really, I guess I am looking for options. Is there a site I can sign up for to watch the games online? Any other options with cable companies? Any good bar you know that definitely signs up for DirecTV that I might work out a deal with to eat there every Sunday to have them turn one TV on a Cowboys game? Anything at all???

I did search the threads so sorry if this was already out there but most of the stuff was at least a year old and, with technology, I thought maybe something else was out there I wasn't aware of. You would think I would be more in the know being that I am in a technical field, but damn it if I have time to research stuff like this.

HELP!!!
Old 08-20-2009, 09:35 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

You mentioned the one option that came immediately to my mind as I read your post: find a bar that has the Cowboys games. I know that there are some places here in Dallas that cater to Packers fans and the like. Dallas is a bit bigger than Nashville, though...not sure how likely the bars there are going to be to show a Cowboys game if the Titans happen to be playing at the same time.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I've always had DirecTV, never had any issues. I wish it wasn't as susceptible to rain but that's satellite for you.

Your guide and everything else is just a byproduct of the receiver you get. If you go HD you should get one of the newer HD DVRs - I have one and I'm happy with it software-wise. It's not perfect but it's good.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Dan - i'm in Nashville myself. I agree with Chum - i'm sure there is a local bar that will always show Cowboys games. I have friends that go to a Packers place, others that go to a Browns place, still others that go to a Steelers place.

But another thing you are forgetting. The Cowboys are "America's Team". Which means they ALWAYS are shown at the 3 PM game on FOX. ALWAYS. it's ANNOYING. Good for you, though, i guess. So unless the titans play at 3 PM (they are typically a 12 PM game), you should be able to watch most of the games from home.

Freakin' DirectTV and their monopoly of Sunday Ticket... I want to watch Saints' games!

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 08-21-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Big Boy Laroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:08 AM   #5
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

My parents had to get a house in Nashville bc my father works there several days a week....and uhh....well, I feel for you guys. I really do.

Do me a favor and kick any and ALL Predators fans squarely in the balls.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Oh and I'd go with the Sunday Ticket. Football is so much better in the comfort of your own home with the HD.

Don't be that guy in the bar. You know the one I mean. Like every douche sitting in a Buffalo Wild Wings on a Saturday wearing [COLLEGE TEAM] hat and [COLLEGE TEAM] shirt and the wife/gf with [COLLEGE TEAM] sweater on, looking bored. And every time [COLLEGE TEAM] makes a first down, you have to clap loudly and look around to make sure people are looking at you clapping loudly. I hate those people. We get it. You like that team. Shut up.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

ha ha, the difference with the bars we're dicussing Flaco, is that the bar will be filled with fans of said team. I went with my friend to the bar that shows Browns games on Sundays, and it was ALL Browns fans. I was the only one who wasn't.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Do me a favor and kick any and ALL Predators fans squarely in the balls.
Predators fans don't have balls...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I can see how that would be fun.

The beer is still cheaper at my house
Old 08-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Predators fans don't have balls...
This, I think, is an excellent point.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

So that's why i still have balls. I'm not a Preds fan! But i will defend Nashville. GREAT city.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #12
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Even a Buffalo Wild Wings would work if there is one located in Nashville (or some sports bar of their ilk). You can always ask the wait service if they can turn one of their measly TVs to the Cowboys game. Even if a Titans game were on, they should still be willing to let you have one TV to watch the Cowboys.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #13
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Damn BBL - I didn't remember that you lived here - cool. So you are telling me that on all games that don't have Tennessee playing on Fox, the Cowboys will definitely be playing??? That alone is my fix if that is the case. I can verify that with Comcast I guess but if you live here and see them playing every week on Fox that is all I need to know. Maybe I have to find 1/2 games a year at a bar but for the most part that should solve my problem.

Please verify that though BBL - if the Titans play at noon, (and don't AFC games normally fall on CBS anyway - if the home market is an AFC team?), and the Cowboys play at 3, do the games ALWAYS show up on Fox?

Let me know...

As to those Predator comments, you don't know the half of it... Hahaha!

The city is great though, very cool place to live!!!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Basically it boils down like this. Titans games are AFC obviously, and all AFC games run on CBS. During these times, there will be no competing NFC game on FOX because titans are a local team.

We are not really in the marketplace for any NFC teams (Atlanta is closest, but we're not really considered in that region), so we get the designated "national" game on FOX. It's not guaranteed to be the cowboys, but 99 times out of 100, that national game will feature the cowboys. It's just the nature of the beast. Cowboys are America's team.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Also, don't forget that sometimes cowboys will play an AFC team, and that game will be on CBS as opposed to FOX. So that sometimes throws a wrench into it.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

OK - so, basically, I am as close to guaranteed as possible that if the Cowboys play at 12 and the titans at 3, or the Cowboys play at 3 and the Titans at 12, that I should see them on TV.

I should see all of the late night Sunday games, Monday games, and Thursday/Saturday games as well right? They are all nationally televised also, correct?
Old 08-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #17
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas has 6 non-Sunday afternoon national games. So you're almost halfway there already.

Here's the best site I've ever found to tell you what game you're going to see. You can click the 2008 link at the bottom and step through each week to figure out if you would have seen the Cowboys game in Nashville.

I'd bet you'll miss two or three at the most.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #18
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

That's how it's worked out every year since i've been here. It's annoyed me to no end cause i don't care about the cowboys.

There will be exceptions, of course. But your cable guide will show the games scheduled far in advance. Then you can hit a sports bar if there's a problem or conflict.

Late night sunday run on NBC, Monday on ESPN. For Thursday/Saturday games you need NFL Network, which is an extra cost on Comcast here in Nashville.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 08-21-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

thig, great link! Thanks!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #20
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux View Post
thig, great link! Thanks!
Am I supposed to see a map or something on this link?

I see nothing of use....oh I see...it WILL be of use.

Last edited by Flacolaco; 08-21-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Flacolaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #21
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Am I supposed to see a map or something on this link?

I see nothing of use....oh I see...it WILL be of use.
Correct. Click on a previous year to see what info you'll get each week.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 08-21-2009, 02:50 PM   #22
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Nevermind, they're back.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 08-21-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:56 PM   #23
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

It is quite fascinating to look at the distributions for the games. Some of that decision making is pretty interesting.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:03 PM   #24
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Yep, and when the cowboys are on, the whole country is RED
Old 08-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

and damn cowboys are on every thanksgiving, too. Jerks.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 PM   #26
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

here's a good example, Dan. Check out week 12 of 2008 (the week of Nov. 23).

http://the506.com/nflmaps/2008-12-FOX1.html

Cowboys were actually the early game on FOX. But that game was on at the same time as the titans on CBS. So you see the Nashville area was greyed out, meaning no game on FOX at that time. So you would have had to hit a sports bar or find someone with Sunday Ticket for that one.

You can see the same thing was happening in Miami, KC, Cleveland

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 08-21-2009 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:21 PM   #27
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
Dallas has 6 non-Sunday afternoon national games. So you're almost halfway there already.

Here's the best site I've ever found to tell you what game you're going to see. You can click the 2008 link at the bottom and step through each week to figure out if you would have seen the Cowboys game in Nashville.

I'd bet you'll miss two or three at the most.
Dallas' schedule vs. Tennessee's schedule:

9/10: Tennessee = 7:30/NBC
9/13: Dallas = 12:00/FOX
9/20: Dallas = 7:30/NBC (NATIONAL GAME); Tennessee = 12:00/CBS
9/27: Tenessee = 12:00/CBS
9/28: Dallas = 7:30/ESPN (NATIONAL GAME)
10/4: Dallas = 3:15/FOX; Tennessee = 12:00/CBS
10/11: Dallas = 3:15/FOX; Tennessee = 7:20/NBC
10/18: Tennessee = 3:15/CBS
10/25: Dallas = 3:15/FOX
11/1: Dallas = 12:00/FOX; Tennessee = 3:05/CBS
11/8: Dallas = 7:15/NBC (NATIONAL GAME); Tennessee = 3:15/CBS
11/15: Dallas = 3:15/FOX; Tennessee = 12:00/CBS
11/22: Dallas = 12:00/FOX
11/23: Tennessee = 7:30/ESPN
11/26: Dallas = 3:15/CBS (NATIONAL GAME)
11/29: Tennessee = 12:00/FOX
12/6: Dallas = 3:15/FOX; Tennessee = 12:00/CBS
12/13: Dallas = 3:15/CBS; Tennessee = 12:00/FOX
12/19: Dallas = 7:15/NFLN (NATIONAL GAME)
12/20: Tennessee = 12:00/CBS
12/25: Tennessee = 6:30/NFLN
12/27: Dallas = 7:15/NBC (NATIONAL GAME)
1/3: Dallas = 12:00/FOX; Tennessee = 3:15/CBS

Considering that Dallas plays 1 Monday Night game, 3 Sunday Night games, 1 Saturday game, and 1 Thanksgiving game, that is 6 games that should be all nationally televised, (right?)!!! Of the remaining 10, (and I know they move times around as games get more important and that can ruin this all), Dallas plays every single one on both opposite channels and opposite times as Tennessee, (or Tennessee doesn't play on the same day at all). That would mean that, assuming BBL's comments were correct, every single games would be displayed here, (again, I know time changes can affect that, but I should be damn close to getting them all).

Thoughts??? You think I am good to go BBL and just to not worry and I will get 90 percent and watch the time changes from both Tennessee and Dallas for conflicts and check Comcast's guide?

Looks like this is manageable...
Old 08-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #28
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I still need to find a bar that displays Cowboys games here, (or will if I ask and eat/drink there during the game), for the one or two games I might miss, but it looks like DirecTV can suck it as far as I am concerned!

Besides, I hated to have to lose the MLB package I already paid for if I were to leave Comcast. Right now, Ranger baseball is one helluva fun sight to see.

Thanks for the help all! Rep all around!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #29
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

wow, that's no conflicts. The only problem would be if the cowboys are not in the FOX "national game". Which they almost always are in. like 99% of the time.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #30
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Poor St. Louis!
Old 08-21-2009, 03:33 PM   #31
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

That Satuday night game is probably NFL Network, so you'll have to make sure you have the Comcast package that has that.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #32
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

I do... I have everything Comcast can give me...
Old 08-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #33
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

ha ha ha, St. Louis! Just to be clear, Dan - Comcast puts NFL Network on a special "sports tier". It's like an extra $5 a month. I'm sure you know whether you have NFL Network, just wanted to make sure you did in case you never have actually tried to go to the channel before.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #34
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
I clicked around a number of the maps from last season and that happens to St. Louis rather frequently. How can you just get NO GAME? That doesn't make sense to me. What idiot sitting behind a desk somewhere thinks that there's money to be made by not showing an NFL game?
Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #35
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylan View Post
I clicked around a number of the maps from last season and that happens to St. Louis rather frequently. How can you just get NO GAME? That doesn't make sense to me. What idiot sitting behind a desk somewhere thinks that there's money to be made by not showing an NFL game?
They had football. If you look on the map for the Single CBS game, it notes that two games were being played on CBS at 4 ET. Since those games are going up against the national Fox game, they would only be shown in the local markets. Hence why the Fox game was not on in St. Louis.

If you look closely on the map you'll notice that there is a small section of California greyed out too, because the other 4 ET CBS game was San Diego/Oakland.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #36
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Quote:
They had football. If you look on the map for the Single CBS game, it notes that two games were being played on CBS at 4 ET. Since those games are going up against the national Fox game, they would only be shown in the local markets. Hence why the Fox game was not on in St. Louis.

If you look closely on the map you'll notice that there is a small section of California greyed out too, because the other 4 ET CBS game was San Diego/Oakland.
Only nerds figure things out.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #37
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Boy, we've definitely got a nerd convention here. I'm surprised we haven't seen an algorithm yet.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 PM   #38
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Male28Dan View Post
Only nerds figure things out.
Heh. I've been using these coverage maps for a couple years now so I've looked into weird things like that. Sometimes I have too much time on my hands.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 08-21-2009, 10:51 PM   #39
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Heh. I've been using these coverage maps for a couple years now so I've looked into weird things like that. Sometimes I have too much time on my hands.
And...it just got nerdier.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #40
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:

Gotcha, so they had a CBS game but not a Fox game? Still, why would Fox just say, screw it, we're not going to run any game? Doesn't add up for me.

This stuff interests me. I just like to know who gets to make decisions like this, and why. When I was a kid (15-20 years ago), there were always 4 games on every Sunday. Two CBS (NFC) and two NBC (AFC), 12PM and 3PM. And still, after it moved to Fox / CBS in '94, it was almost always that way. But now, we're getting shorted. It's always 3 games between Fox/CBS per Sunday. Why? The NFL is the highest rated pro sports league by a mile. Show the freaking games, people. It's better than a bunch of Billy Mays infomercials or whatever gets run Sunday 3-6 PM in a local market. Hot on Homes, or whatever. Crap, basically.

Tags
cowboys, directv, nfl, sunday, ticket