Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 09-26-2002, 03:23 PM   #1
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< Lopez gets deal; will have surgery this weekend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Utah Jazz have signed injured point guard Raul Lopez to a three-year contract, Jazz vice president Kevin O'Connor announced Thursday.

Lopez, a 2001 first round draft pick from Spain, initially injured his knee after playing four games for Madrid's Spanish League team in 2001. He returned to finish the season but reinjured the knee in an exhibition with the Spanish National team in August.

Lopez, 22, suffered a lateral meniscal tear as well as again tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. He is scheduled to have surgery in Salt Lake City on Saturday and will most likely miss the entire 2002-2003 season.

In a statement released by the team, Lopez said he was happy to finally join the Jazz.

&quot;Although I'm very disappointed with the injury, surgery will allow me to enjoy a long career in the NBA,'' Lopez said.

Jazz director of media relations Kim Turner said the signing deal had been a long process and the Jazz were glad to have it done.

&quot;We wish he wouldn't have gotten hurt the second time,&quot; Turner said. &quot;We wouldn't have felt confident signing him if we didn't think he would recover.&quot;

The Jazz aren't releasing the exact terms of the agreement, and Turner said Lopez was getting the &quot;basic rookie salary,&quot; but he didn't say what that was.

The team is expected to give a medical update on Lopez within the next two weeks.
>>

I give the Jazz alot of credit for this move. I donĀ“t think alot of teams would have cared and taken the risk. Good guys.

Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote