Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-12-2002, 05:08 PM   #1
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< Donnie Done?
Latest On Askrabic, Wang And Nugs Job

By Mike Fisher -- DallasBasketball.com
“Maybe,’’ says Donnie Nelson, the Mavs’ All-World assistant involved in matters from Yugoslavia to China to Denver. “I've outgrown my usefulness here.’’
What?! That and more – about Wang and Yao and Askrabic and life -- in this exclusive visit with Donnie:
DB.com: Is attending the pre-draft camp in Chicago and doing related research less important now that it’s ever been for Dallas, given where the Mavs draft?
Donnie: “Oh no, I think it's just the opposite. We gotta know these guys cold. We go into every draft as if we got a lottery pick. You never know how things will pan out. Nobody thought we would make a blockbuster deal to get Raef, Nick, and the other guys from Denver, so you have to do your homework.’’
DB.com: With Yao Ming apparently ready to come over from China, and Wang Zhizhi is limbo, what are your thoughts on the dicey nature of dealing with China and other foreign countries?
Donnie: “Anytime you’re doing business over there, it's always interesting and challenging. But the difference between a second-round pick and a top ten or top five is a significant difference. Whoever gets Yao will have a lot of red tape to go through.’’
DB.com: Mark Cuban talks of Yao as if he’s another Shawn Bradley and no more. What do you think?
Donnie: “He's gonna be a nice productive center for a long time, and I think only he knows how good he will be.’’
DB.com: Are you more optimistic than before about Wang getting things worked out and returning to Dallas?
Donnie: “We’re in consistent discussion right now, but I can't get into that a lot. We just hope he can play with us next year.’’
DB.com: Your knowledge of overseas players could result in the signing of O Askrabic of Yugoslavia. Give us a scouting report.
Donnie: “He was here for the Global Games last year, and is now a free agent. We think we’ve got a shot at him. He can definitely shoot, he’s 6-9, and he’s got some potential as an all-around player. He’s a top-notch prospect.’’
DB.com: Is what Vlade Divac did for Sacramento enough to convince the Mavs that they might have the answer at center on the roster already? In other words, can’t Raef LaFrentz grow up to be Vlade?
Donnie: “There are two schools of thought. Even if you ask our coaching staff, you might get a difference of opinion. In the Lakers-Sacramento series, Vlade didn't get dominated by Shaq. He didn't get dunked on every time down the floor. And Vlade has a body type not different than that of Raef, or some of the other guys. The key to that equation is to hit outside shots and make him guard. One of the frustrating things about us not taking that next step, is that I thought we could have done something and caused some problems for LA. And it was encouraging to see Vlade not get dominated by someone who used to be unguardable. … About Raef, yeah, and that's our hope. When we acquired him we thought he was a guy that could guard Shaq, because his defense is better than Vlade's was at this point. The thing our guys don't have is Vlade's software, but that will come with time and experience.
DB.com: Do the Mavs have their eyes open to rumored targets like Olowokandi and Mourning?
Donnie: “You’re gonna get me fired! Seriously, you are always trying to find ways to supplement your roster, and I think it's clear we would like to add some beef up front. But that's why we acquired Evan Eschmeyer. Here's a guy that, provided he has a good summer, can give us a good solid ten to twelve minutes. The game goes real well when he's in there, he plays good defense, sets picks, and gets rebounds. There was a day when Scot Pollard was looking for a job, and that's why I think we may have the answer right here. … As far as other guys, all that stuff you’re talking about is sheer speculation, and the guys you are talking about are beefy guys. But as I said, we may already have that guy right here.’’
DB.com: What are your thoughts now on the possible Denver opportunity?
Donnie: “First of all let’s set the record straight. I have not been approached or interviewed by Denver. I do plan on talking to Kiki and see if there is any interest or fit. But look, I love Dallas, my family loves Dallas, and it is a dream of mine to win a championship with my dad. But it is also a dream of mine to be a head coach in this league. There's only twenty nine of these jobs and they only come around so often, so I feel lucky and blessed to get an interview. But I don't know how things will pan out.’’
DB.com: Don’t you believe a better opportunity – probably right here in Dallas – is likely to come along?
Donnie: “Yes and no. I've never been approached about this before. I've been asked go coach CBA. teams and overseas teams, but never an NBA team. I'm confident that I will get another shot down the road. But I don't know that either. I am fortunate that Kiki was here and saw what I could do. You know, Donnie Nelson is the son of a famous coach in the league and a lot of teams Won’t take that chance. So this is a possibility I have to take seriously.
DB.com: Is there a part of you that wants to break away from the shadow of your father, from the nepotism stuff?
Donnie: “Sure I do. When I first started playing basketball, my dad was playing with the Celtics and it was difficult. You feel in tryouts you have to beat your competition twofold so that there aren't any whispers. But I am confident in my abilities, I'm good enough, I'm worthy, and given the chance I would be successful. But really, in a lot of ways, I have already accomplished a lot of the things I wanted here in Dallas.
DB.com: How do you mean?
Donnie: ”Let's face it, Donnie Nelson's service to the Dallas Mavericks is that we have Dirk, Steve, and a nice team that Cuban will take to the next level. In a lot of ways we have a fantasy coaching staff in Nellie and Del and maybe I've outgrown my usefulness here.’’
DB.com: What considerations are there in leaving vs. staying?
Donnie: “Well, my family loves it in Dallas and the fans are great. I'm not a money guy. That’s about fifth on my list, but there are two guys that I will sit down and have counsel with. Not because one is my dad and the other is my boss, but because I have alot of respect for the both of them. And I feel they have both have my best interest at heart; that means alot to me. But I came here to extend my dad's career, not to shorten it, and I can't imagine a better boss to work for than Mark Cuban. At this stage I just need to sit and talk with Kiki, see what he has to say, and nothing more. ... I have to take this chance very seriously.’
>>

Like his thoughts about Esch, Raef, and Askrabic.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2002, 10:21 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's clear we would like to add some beef up front.

And I like this line!
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 12:11 AM   #3
Kat

Kat is on a distinguished road

<< And Vlade has a body type not different than that of Raef, or some of the other guys. >>

I am confused. Or perhaps my vision needs to be checked. But the last time I looked; Raef does NOT have the same body type as Vlade.

Futhermore, I found this article to be very &quot;Clinton-like&quot;, Donnie talked but didn't really say anything.

Except he doesn't feel appreciated right now, and wants to step out from behind his Dads shadow. I don't think he will stay if he even gets a little bit of a bite from another organization.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:13 AM   #4
Nellie
Golden Member

Nellie is on a distinguished road

I am trying to put my self in Donnie's shoes and I probably wouldn't go to Denver. If I had at least a couple of more years to try to win a championship with my dad, I would have to give it a shot. I think there would be few that would argue that Donnie will have head coaching opportunities after Big Whistle retires. Why not spend what you can with your dad while you still can?
Old 06-13-2002, 10:15 AM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Donnie: ”Let's face it, Donnie Nelson's service to the Dallas Mavericks is that we have Dirk, Steve, and a nice
team that Cuban will take to the next level. In a lot of ways we have a fantasy coaching staff in Nellie and Del
and maybe I've outgrown my usefulness here.’’

Sounds like he might already know what he wants to do.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:48 AM   #6
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I am trying to put my self in Donnie's shoes and I probably wouldn't go to Denver. If I had at least a couple of more years to try to win a championship with my dad, I would have to give it a shot. I think there would be few that would argue that Donnie will have head coaching opportunities after Big Whistle retires. Why not spend what you can with your dad while you still can?

This I disagree with, if you have the opportunity to take a job, you should take it. Especially when you have a GM like KiKi who knows the business and the game. Also, it's not like Denver doesn't have pieces that he can build from, it's just a matter of time. Whose to say if he stays with his dad he WILL win a championship with him. There's no guarantee. Also if he stays here and doesn't win a championship as an ASSISTANT, whose to say Cuban will have the patience to keep him as a head coach for a long period of time.

Let's put it this way and I know a lot of Dallas fans won't like this, I DON'T like it but it's reality. Dallas has about 3-4 years to win a championship with this group. After that, if Dallas doesn't win it, this team is going have an entirely new makeup and guess what, Dallas will be starting over again. So maybe Nellie knows that and he knows basically his life expectancy here is no more than 5 years. Maybe in 5 years he can make Denver a competitor and he'll be there for a long time... This is all speculation but I wouldn't turn down an opportunity just because there's a &quot;chance&quot; I WILL have an opportunity somewhere else.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:13 PM   #7
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Why wouldn't he leave Dallas?

I don't doubt he likes to be with his dad and want to win a championship with him, but like the Kid points out, he could build something in Denver.

Sure, it's going to take a couple years to get some pieces together, but it could be his baby.

How many years is he supposed to wait for his dad to step aside and have control.

He's stated he wants to be a head coach and thinks he'll be good at it, Denver is an option.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:14 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

I agree. There is no written guarantee that he will be the head man here is there? I haven't heard of one...so....I bet that if the offer is fair...he goes to Denver. I think we will be very lucky to keep him.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:16 PM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I want Donn to stay but like yall I think he's going to leave.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:20 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

It's hard t obash him for jumping at the opportunity tto be a head coach....even if he does have to coach Juwan again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 07:33 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard to bash him for jumping at the opportunity to be a head coach....even if he does have to coach Juwan again.

LOL

Good one.

I haven't heard anything about a 'promise' that Donn would take over when his dad retired from coaching, either.

How old is he?

Old 06-13-2002, 07:33 PM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

i like don but to be honest, i like donnie's philosophies much better than i like don's.

anyone ever think about this.. maybe little nellie doesn't want to coach the team that is being put together by his dad because his dad is constructing it in a way that isn't conducive to little nellie's style of coaching.
maybe that's something to think about
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 07:34 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

Not sure how old he is MFF....old enough to drive an NBA team though.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2002, 07:34 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

interesting angle murph.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:59 PM   #15
MavsFanFinley
Guru

That's interesting Murph. No, I hadn't thought of that, especially since Donn likes tall ball a lot more than his dad.

I was just curious how old he was since we were talking about how long is he supposed to wait behind his dad to take over as coach for Dallas. No biggie.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:09 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

I think the idea was that this upcoming season would be Nellies alst as coach and then he would turn it over t olittle nellie and Nellie would be GM.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:39 PM   #17
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I think the idea was that this upcoming season would be Nellies last as coach and then he would turn it over to little nellie and Nellie would be GM.

I remember hearing that. Doesn't he have like 5 years as a gm on his contract?

However, I remember reading/hearing (during/after the playoffs) Nelson talk about how much fun he was having and how he could go on coaching longer. That he loves this team, etc...

And Cuban has already said they would talk about a contract extention.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:41 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Yep. That idea is subject to change.
Old 06-13-2002, 08:50 PM   #19
Chicago JK

Chicago JK will become famous soon enough

Little Nellie has changed my opinion. I was completely against bringing him aboard a couple of years ago. I thought it was nepotism at its best. Although with his moves and sub coaching jobs he has turned my head around. With that being said, I think he is far from a finished product. He is probably ready to jump into the head coaching ring, but another year or two wait wouldn't hurt. When Donnie has subbed for Nellie he tends to be a very energetic coach and is always off the seat clapping and talking. I have reservations in this type of Pitno/Calipari coaching stle. The NBA season is very long, and Eventually NBA players will tune you out completely. I think he has to mature a little bit and not take each game as if it is the 7th game of the playoffs. I think he will learn when he gains more experience, and maybe he tried to coach like this to prove a point to Cuban. Although, his style he used in his brief stay would get short term results, but not produce long term results.
Chicago JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:33 AM   #20
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

if we learned anything from this last season, it is that Don Nelson put too much into the regular season and worked nash to death to where the guy wasn't at full strength going into the playoffs....
so, i'm not sure why you would criticize little nellie for something when big nellie did the same thing
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:11 AM   #21
Drbio
Banned

I would much rather lose a few more regular season games and keep Nash fresh for the playoff run.