Old 06-09-2002, 01:18 AM   #1
BASKETBALL 101

BASKETBALL 101 is on a distinguished road

Should Dallas seek a WNBA team?
What should the name be?
Old 06-09-2002, 01:55 AM   #2
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the Dallas Spares
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:56 AM   #3
BASKETBALL 101

BASKETBALL 101 is on a distinguished road

I think they should persue a WNBA team
The name should be the Dallas Ponys
Old 06-09-2002, 09:18 AM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I would NEVER watch a team called the Ponies (Or the Ponys if we insist on mis-spelling it).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

You know if it ever happened they would be something cheesy like the Cowgirls or somesuch.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 09:22 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

How about the Nags?
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 09:48 AM   #6
Drbio
Banned

hahaha....dead man walking...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2002, 10:37 AM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

how about, let's not associate our city with the WNBA
Old 06-09-2002, 12:03 PM   #8
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

women's basketball is a joke. Not to mention quite possibly the most boring sport in the world. Along the lines of most women's sports besides tennis. and that's just cause they look good in the skirts...

Just my opinion.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 12:21 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

women's soccer isn't bad
Old 06-09-2002, 01:07 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

funny murph...
Old 06-09-2002, 01:08 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Actually...when Brandi Chastain ripped her shirt off it did increase viewership for womens soccer for a few weeks. I have that pic somewhere for posterity. Great moment in Nike sports bra history.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:14 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Yum.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:15 PM   #13
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I don't necessarily mind that they might bring in a WNBA team. Don't ever watch it, but it can't be "bad" for the city. After all, it hasn't hurt LA. Just another attraction.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 01:23 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Back to the original point...a team name. We have so far....

Dallas Ponys
Dallas Ponies
Dallas Spares
Dallas Cowgirls
Dallas Nags (Pony humor)

Any more?

How about the Hookers or kitchenettes?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2002, 01:35 PM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

well, i can tolerate women's soccer because I was forced to tolerate it for awhile..
Old 06-09-2002, 01:37 PM   #16
Drbio
Banned

The athletes in womens soccer are much prettier IMO than the hags in the WNBA. I know there are exceptions, but overall...no contest.
Old 06-09-2002, 01:42 PM   #17
Murphy3
Guru

from personal experience, i'd have to definitely agree with you
Old 06-09-2002, 01:45 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

I even think back to college and high school and it was the same way for some reason.
Old 06-09-2002, 06:08 PM   #19
PeterVecseyisdumb

PeterVecseyisdumb is an unknown quantity at this point

<< I think they should persue a WNBA team
The name should be the Dallas Ponys
>>

When the players in the WNBA wear their hair in ponytails, they look like the horses in the Kentucky Derby.
PeterVecseyisdumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 06:17 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

edit for self preservation reasons...
Old 06-09-2002, 06:58 PM   #21
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Dallas Mustangs?
Old 06-09-2002, 07:08 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Dallas Dollass?
Old 06-09-2002, 10:13 PM   #23
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

if they are serious about getting a team, the name should be something we're famous for such as the Dallas Strippers or Call Girls.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 10:15 PM   #24
Drbio
Banned

Dallas Poon Tangs.
Old 06-10-2002, 10:15 AM   #25
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas Debbies
Old 06-10-2002, 10:18 AM   #26
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

this past year, Women's professional soccer was the single lowest rated televised sporting event in US History .

On one channel, Lifetime (?), it got a 0.1 Share. They showed a few games on CNNSI. It got a &quot;no measurable rating available&quot;. That means that of all the Nielsen households using people-meters, not one person watched.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 02:45 PM   #27
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

*Yawn*
Old 06-10-2002, 04:19 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

Dallas Debbies

LOL OMG that is hilarious...I hope everyone can appreciate this one.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:15 PM   #29
ArcticBlast

ArcticBlast is on a distinguished road

Well, since I'm female and a WNBA fan, yes, I think Dallas should definitely have a team. I'm not good with naming so, I'll not place an opinion.

Any name is better than my HS girl's basketball team, the Lady Dawgs.

Anyway, you can't expect a new sport to be great right away. The NBA wasn't either. There'll probably be more talent in the WNBA when they get paid more to play. You can't expect all women who are talented in basketball to want to give up their summers and their bodies for less pay than they could get doing something that won't break down their bodies.
Old 06-11-2002, 07:38 PM   #30
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

The Lady Dawgs? Are you serious? You're right, that may be the worst I've ever heard.

Dallas Cowgirls sounds vaguely sexist to me though its the most obvious if most boring.

Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2002, 08:45 PM   #31
Drbio
Banned

Dallas Tex-annes.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:30 PM   #32
Murphy3
Guru

why would you expect wnba players to be paid more when there's very little interest in the sport?
Old 06-11-2002, 10:49 PM   #33
ArcticBlast

ArcticBlast is on a distinguished road

Murph - The point was that it's a growing sport. As it grows, the money, talent level and interest will grow. Already, more networks are showing games, so there's got to be *some* interest, even if you don't have any.
Old 06-11-2002, 10:58 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

Big D Bee-yatches
Old 06-12-2002, 08:17 AM   #35
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

AB - The only reason the WNBA hasn't failed yet is that it's being subsidized by the NBA.

Old 06-12-2002, 08:20 AM   #36
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

And NBC, too.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2002, 08:23 AM   #37
Drbio
Banned

My understanding was that the WNBA knew they would operate at a loss for about five or six years. Does anyone remember hearing that?
Old 06-12-2002, 08:25 AM   #38
Murphy3
Guru

i'm willing to bet that after the 5-6 years doc, that it'll still be operating at a loss