Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-13-2002, 09:36 PM   #1
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Go here to vote for Dirk or even Wang to be the leading scorer in the World Championships.

The only reason I can think of that no American is listed is the depth of the American team. With, for example a coach playing a rotation of Finley, Pierce, Allen and Marion at the 2-3, no one is going to be in the game enough to compete for the scoring title.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
Hoopsmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2002, 10:00 PM   #2
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think Germany will win the World Championships but by looking at the stats alone Dirk could win in a landslide. The only one close to him is Peja and Peja's team has a lot of talent around him, making it hard for him to score a lot.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:05 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I voted Dirk, but the Argentine team seems to always have a hot scorer.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:18 PM   #4
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I have seen this time and time again.

OK, Peja was recently voted the best European player for 2002, and all polls involving European basketball seem to favor him.

My question to all those living in Europe. Do most basketball fans out there really believe Peja is better than Dirk?

And if so WHY? My only guess is just that people associate Yugoslavia with good basketball whereas that is not the case in Germany.

Don't get me wring Peja is a very good basketball player, but there is not a single GM in this league who wouldn't take Dirk ahead of him.

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2002, 10:20 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Certainly not any GM that wanted to keep his job long.
Old 06-13-2002, 11:47 PM   #6
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

I have seen this time and time again.

OK, Peja was recently voted the best European player for 2002, and all polls involving European basketball seem to favor him.

My question to all those living in Europe. Do most basketball fans out there really believe Peja is better than Dirk?

Don't get me wring Peja is a very good basketball player, but there is not a single GM in this league who wouldn't take Dirk ahead of him.

Old 06-14-2002, 12:32 AM   #7
grbh
Platinum Member

How in the hell did I post the exact same message about 1 hour apart without posting twice.

Old 06-14-2002, 12:59 AM   #8
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Theory 1 (while waiting for any Europeans to chime in): Yugoslavia is a major basketball country; Germany is not. Peja is the best Yugoslavian player; Dirk the best German player. When it comes to popular votes, a Yugoslavian player has a bigger base of active support than a German player.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:12 AM   #9
mali king

mali king is on a distinguished road

I am sorry you obviously didn't watch europian champioship games. You may find it hard to believe, but Dirk was totally stopped by the YU team. Simple fact: one man can't do everything. He is more likely to do nothing. Iverson had a decent supporting cast when they played Lakers...Germany is just not strong enough. Bradley sucked even more than when he played for the Mavs. Go figure. It might be different in Indianapolis, I'm not sure about Germany right now. The thing that bothers me is Divac is not playing for YU, neither is Rebraca. (a quality rookie center from Detroit...in my opinion better than Divac, and quite famous in Europe.)
mali king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 07:04 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

How in the hell did I post the exact same message about 1 hour apart without posting twice.

I haven't seen that before with that kind of time in between. I get double posts occassionally when the internet is congested. But 1 hour apart? Beats me.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:27 AM   #11
Platinum Member

#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light#41 is a glorious beacon of light

Peja will definately not be the Top scorer, he wasn't even the best yugoslavian player in the 2001 european tournament!
#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:19 AM   #12
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< I am sorry you obviously didn't watch europian champioship games. You may find it hard to believe, but Dirk was totally stopped by the YU team. Simple fact: one man can't do everything. >>

I have no problem believing that Mali King. I even understand why Peja got MVP of that tournament. But do you think Peja is going to score more than Dirk in the World Championships? If so, why?
Old 06-14-2002, 10:53 AM   #13
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same way that Cal Ripken kept getting voted in to start the All-Star team even thouh he was batting 230 and had like 5 hrs and 30 rbi. It was reputation.

Peja has a good reputation in Europe because of playing in Yugoslavia. He was drafted in 96 but did not join the Kings till 98. That gave him additional time to produce while in a very good league.

Dirk on the other hand was playing in a Division II league and literally burst on to the scene. He was decent in Europe but while playing in Europe, he was not as good as Peja. Dirk honed his skills in the NBA. Peja did not. Europeans still are looking at Peja as the player he was, and they are looking at Dirk as the player he was. Unfortunately, the porsche had passed the Yugo a long time... it's just hard for the Europeans to see it because it happened while they were in the NBA.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 06:04 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Unfortunately, the porsche had passed the Yugo a long time... it's just hard for the Europeans to see it because it happened while they were in the NBA.

LOL...porsche passed the Yugo....great line.
Old 06-15-2002, 01:11 AM   #15
mali king

I have no problem believing that Mali King. I even understand why Peja got MVP of that tournament. But do you think Peja is going to score more than Dirk in the World Championships? If so, why?[/i] >>

I do think Peja is going to score more for the fact I see the YU team at least in the semi-finals, unlike Germany. It could be argued that Dirk is going to have better stats. Basketball countries from Europe are Spain, Italy, ex-Yu countries, Greece, Turkey, Lithuania and Russia. Interest for basketball is less in other countries. France and Germany play some basketball, and England, Netherlands, Scandinavian countries have nothing. (as far as I know).
Old 06-15-2002, 01:21 AM   #16
mali king

<< Unfortunately, the porsche had passed the Yugo a long time... it's just hard for the Europeans to see it because it happened while they were in the NBA.

LOL...porsche passed the Yugo....great line.
>>

hehe..I always wondered why a person should buy it...after some movies, TV shows and many comments, I realized that it serves great the need for comic relief. LOL. Anyway, &quot;Notoriety is better than Anonimity&quot;,mali king, 2002. I'm not a car patriot. I'm not even a basketball patriot. I have no problems about saying the YU team sucks when it does.

Old 06-15-2002, 11:21 AM   #17
Hoopsmeister
Platinum Member

<< I do think Peja is going to score more for the fact I see the YU team at least in the semi-finals, unlike Germany. It could be argued that Dirk is going to have better stats. >>

When I think of score more, I usually think of 'per game', I hadn't thought of it from a cumulative points basis. And I agree that Yugoslavia has to be favored to go further than Germany--as you said in relationship to the European championships, one man can't do everything.

In fact, looking at the field, I think that aside from the US, Yugoslavia probably has the best odds of winning it all.

<< I have no problems about saying the YU team sucks when it does. >>

I don't think anyone is trying to suggest at all that the YU team sucks. The opposite if anything. The issue has simply been that Dirk as an individual player is clearly better than Peja although Peja plays on a much better international team,