Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 03-16-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of
Default carville and russert sports talk show

President Clinton to Appear on James Carville and Luke Russert's New Sports Show on XM Satellite Radio Debuting Friday, March 17
Thursday March 16, 6:18 pm ET
Clinton Talks College Basketball With Carville and Russert for XM Debut; Carville Says President George H. W. Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Invited for Future Shows

WASHINGTON, March 16 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- President Bill Clinton will appear on XM Satellite Radio's new sports talk show "60/20," hosted by James Carville and Luke Russert, which will debut Friday, March 17 in its regular weekly timeslot of 8:00 am - 9:00 am ET on XM Live (XM channel 200).
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20000724/XMSATLOGO )

For their inaugural show, Carville, the noted political strategist, commentator and passionate sports fan, and Russert, son of NBC journalist Tim Russert, interviewed President Clinton, an ardent college basketball fan, to discuss the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament and share their picks.

When Russert predicted that eighth-seeded Arkansas would go to the Sweet 16, defeating top-seeded Memphis to get there, he asked Clinton how he liked his chances:

"It's conceivable," Clinton said. "We don't quite know how good Memphis is. They have an unbelievable coach and they've won 30 games, so if Arkansas would beat them, I'd be thrilled. Nobody would be happier than me. I've got [Arkansas] going to the Sweet 16 too, but I don't know if it's emotion or conviction."

When asked which teams he thought had the best chance of making the Final Four, Clinton predicted Connecticut and Villanova, "assuming their injured players are in good shape," he said. As for the remaining slots, he said it was a tossup between Duke and Memphis or Texas and Kansas.

Russert asked Clinton if Arkansas and his alma mater Georgetown wound up playing against each other for the national championship, for which team would he cheer.

"If that happened, I'd cheer for Arkansas," he said. "I owe Georgetown a lot, but you know, I spent a lifetime cheering for Arkansas. We only won [the championship] once, so I hope we have another chance."

Carville said he hoped to have President George H. W. Bush and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice appear on future shows to talk sports.

The concept for the XM show "60/20" was born from the heated exchanges between the 60-year-old Carville and 20-year-old Russert during Washington Nationals baseball games. "60/20" features the two discussing the top sports stories of the week. The hour-long show airs weekly on XM Satellite Radio, the nation's leading satellite radio company with more than six million subscribers, on Fridays at 8:00 am, with replays at 9:00 am and 10:00 am and Saturdays at 9:00 am, 10:00 am and 11:00 am (all times ET).

James Carville is a political commentator for CNN and noted Democratic political strategist who emerged onto the national political scene after his consulting firm, Carville & Begala, helped elect President Clinton in 1992. For his work on the Clinton campaign, the American Association of Political Consultants named him Campaign Manager of the Year in 1993. He went on to serve as a senior political adviser to the president. Often referred to as the "Ragin' Cajun" for his spirited debating style, Carville began managing political campaigns in 1982. Before entering politics, he worked as a litigator at a Baton Rouge, La., law firm, and also had brief stints in the U.S. Marines and as a high school teacher.

Luke Russert is currently a sophomore at Boston College. An avid sports fan, by the time he was 16, he had attended two Super Bowls, a World Series, five Major League Baseball (MLB) All-Star Games, an NBA final, four NBA All- Star Games, two NCAA Final Fours, an NHL Stanley Cup Final, a U.S. Open and The Preakness Stakes. A graduate of St. Albans School in Washington, D.C., where he played football and baseball, Russert worked for the highly-rated ESPN program "Pardon the Interruption" in 2005.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links