Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-19-2006, 09:14 PM   #81
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Mavs within 8! Will the Bear be able to power these MAvs to the best regular season record in franchise history?

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-19-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #82
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Pavel has looked good. I am still laughing at Walton calling him and Benga the Twin Towers and teh future of basketball.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #83
Drbio
Banned

Did you guys see this during the telecast?

Mark Cuban's latest free handout to Dallas Mavericks fans was a little more expensive than a T-shirt.

Between the first and second quarter of Wednesday night's Clippers-Mavericks game, Cuban announced that every fan at the game will receive a free plane ticket on American Airlines, which has naming rights at the Mavericks' home, American Airlines Center.

It was not clear whether Cuban or the airline paid for the tickets.

American Airlines Center seats 19,200 for basketball.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #84
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Did you guys see this during the telecast?

Mark Cuban's latest free handout to Dallas Mavericks fans was a little more expensive than a T-shirt.

Between the first and second quarter of Wednesday night's Clippers-Mavericks game, Cuban announced that every fan at the game will receive a free plane ticket on American Airlines, which has naming rights at the Mavericks' home, American Airlines Center.

It was not clear whether Cuban or the airline paid for the tickets.

American Airlines Center seats 19,200 for basketball.
Dang, that promotion is a tad more substantial than a chalupa...
Old 04-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #85
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Erick Dampier can feel the shadow. Next year he will feel the foot as the great Russian giant uses his head as a stepping stone on his way into the Maverick regular rotation.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:26 PM   #86
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't AA only fly out of 4 places our of Love Field?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:27 PM   #87
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Strong move by the Bear, incidentally. If his body can hold together, he is going to be a real beast for us in the future (the damned near future, at that)...
Old 04-19-2006, 09:27 PM   #88
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
Erick Dampier can feel the shadow. Next year he will feel the foot as the great Russian giant uses his head as a stepping stone on his way into the Maverick regular rotation.
That would be a great problem to have. You could be right..in a couple of years..
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 PM   #89
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Quote:

The Shadow Looms...
Old 04-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #90
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Look at the bears' free throw touch...
Old 04-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #91
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Diop for 3!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #92
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Hahahaha! Good stroke, Diop...
Old 04-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #93
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Diop for 3!!!
wow.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:34 PM   #94
madape
Diamond Member

we didn't win 61, but that was one of the most enjoyable Maverick losses that I can remember.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #95
ilMavvento

ilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the roughilMavvento is a jewel in the rough

I've gotta say, I got a kick out of seeing Diop, Mbenga, and Pavel all out there at once.

The "Siberian Magician" ...... thank you Walton.
ilMavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:38 PM   #96
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Diop dropping threes... The Bear being let out of his cage to maul... DJ air-balling threes...

This scrub v. scrub game may have ended up as a loss, and we may have given up our opportunity to take a 61st win by playing this goofy lineup, but this was as amusing a Mavs game as I've seen in a while*. I'm glad the starters got a bit of rest tonight, but hopefully we should be able to get back to serious business again and gut these stinking Memphians over the course of the next four or five games...

*[Edit- Ape said something similar above, but I hadn't read his post when I wrote this... ]

Last edited by Evilmav2; 04-19-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Evilmav2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 PM   #97
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Oh yeah, and unless Lamar Odom and Nenad Kristic both go off for 80 pts and 40 rbs apiece in their late games tonight, I think I just beat Alby to win the official Dallas Mavericks 05-06 Fantasy Basketball league! Huzzzaaaahhhh!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 09:49 PM   #98
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

I just saw the replay again... it was the cameraman he stepped on, dammit.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:14 PM   #99
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx
I just saw the replay again... it was the cameraman he stepped on, dammit.
You talking about armstrong? I think he stepped on the other players foot before he took off.

Also AJ said in the postgame that he'd be okay, he wanted to come back into the game. But maybe AJ is doing a little hockey talk.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:02 AM   #100
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They were the best offensive team in NBA history and were surprisingly solid defensively.
The defense wasn't quite as bad as it was made out to be, but I certainly wouldn't call it "solid."

Best offensive team in NBA history? Good lord, Ape. Ever heard of the Los Angeles Lakers? Or how about the Boston Celtics?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:06 AM   #101
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Ever hear of 83 in a freakin' half? Of a playoff game?

I'm sorry I missed this game. It sounded very entertaining.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:08 AM   #102
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilMavvento
I've gotta say, I got a kick out of seeing Diop, Mbenga, and Pavel all out there at once.

The "Siberian Magician" ...... thank you Walton.
Our lineup was 6'6" Marshall, 6'9" Powell, 7' M'Benga playing well at the SF, 7' Diop at the PF and 7'5" Pavel at center-- if we had Dirk out there, we could actually run that lineup with a little success. The only problem with that lineup was scoring.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:49 AM   #103
madape
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg

World record held by...

the 2002/2003 Dallas Mavericks
Old 04-20-2006, 12:56 AM   #104
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg

That game was amazing. I'll never forget it as long as I live. But let's tap the breaks a little, please?

If we're gonna pick the best offensive team in NBA history, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to pick the team that won 5 championships and went to the finals 9 times in 11 years, or the team that won 3 championships and went to the finals 9 times.

Hell, don't even confine yourself to the 80's. Pick any championship era from either of those teams and I think you'd look quite the fool to call the 03 Mavericks the best offensive team in NBA history by comparison.

And if you wanna break it down a little further, when it comes to a team having a "Big Three" I think Nash, Dirk, and Fin fall just a little short Magic, Kareem, and Worthy, or Bird, McHale and Parrish. Or how about West, Baylor, and Chamberlain?
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 12:58 AM   #105
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Off the top of my head, I don't know. How many points per possession did those teams rack up?
Old 04-20-2006, 01:30 AM   #106
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Top Offenses Since 1973-74

Team | Year | Off. Eff. | NBA Avg. | Difference

Dallas Mavericks | 2003-04 | 110.1 | 100.8 | 9.3
Phoenix Suns | 2004-05 | 112.1 | 103.1 | 9.0
Denver Nuggets | 1981-82 | 111.7 | 104.2 | 7.5
Boston Celtics | 1987-88 | 112.4 | 105.0 | 7.4
Chicago Bulls | 1991-92 | 112.3 | 105.0 | 7.3
Dallas Mavericks | 2002-03 | 108.7 | 101.4 | 7.3
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 01:32 AM   #107
chumdawg
Guru

03-04 at the top of the list? Can't be.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:36 AM   #108
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Ranked by point differential - I don't know if the numbers are adjusted, however, with regards to the league average for possessions per team per game for each particular season so they could be off a little.

EDIT: Then again they do take into account the league average that year...hm. Thinking about it, offensive efficiency has to be an imperfect metric for comparisons across decades. Whatever.

Last edited by orangedays; 04-20-2006 at 01:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:55 AM   #109
chumdawg
Guru

You probably should have put the difference from the average in terms of percentage rather than raw margin. But still, I guess I am surprised that the '04 team did so well offensively.
Old 04-20-2006, 02:11 AM   #110
orangedays
Platinum Member

Without adjusting the 'offensive efficiency' numbers themselves, I don't think ranking them as a percentage would help much (I tried it and the rankings come out exactly the same). I pulled the figures out of a Hollinger article but I'm a little skeptical that he properly adjusted the efficiency figures for the differentials in 'league pace' across years. Unfortunately he didn't include his calculations in the article.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:02 AM   #111
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Armstrong OK after Mavs' 85-71 loss

By RACHEL COHEN / The Dallas Morning News

Coaches have nightmares like this: In a meaningless regular-season finale, a meaningful player tumbles to the floor in pain.

But Darrell Armstrong's sprained left ankle looked scarier than it was, he said after the 85-71 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers Wednesday night at American Airlines Center.

The veteran guard expects to play in Sunday's playoff opener against the Memphis Grizzlies. Losing Armstrong would have further thinned the Mavericks' point guard depth with Devin Harris' status uncertain.

For the second straight game, Harris didn't play despite coach Avery Johnson previously saying that he would. Harris' strained left quadriceps hasn't recovered after hard practices as well as Johnson would like.

Depending on how Harris responds to Friday's workout, he may play Sunday.

"Sometimes, when a player has a lot of pressure on him, you don't always get exactly how they're feeling, because they want to tell you what you want to hear," Johnson said.

In the second quarter, Armstrong rolled his left ankle as he tried to block a shot. He went flying into the stands and immediately grabbed the ankle, his face twisted in pain.

Armstrong was walking without crutches later.

Before the game, Armstrong and Josh Howard stood at midcourt to thank fans for their support. Armstrong, who had jabbed the Dallas faithful with his "How about those Redskins?" comment in December, had tape covering his mouth. But he removed it and shouted, "How about them Dallas Mavericks?" to great applause.

The Mavericks finish with 60 wins, tying the franchise record. Johnson downplayed the importance of getting 61.

"Fifty meant a lot," he said. "Fifty-five meant a lot. Sixty meant a whole lot."

Briefly: Dirk Nowitzki got the night off. ... Johnson said that Keith Van Horn, out since March 31 with a broken right hand, will be on the Mavericks' 13-man playoff roster, indicating that Rawle Marshall and Pavel Podkolzin would be the odd men out.

Podkolzin, the second-year 7-5 Russian playing for the first time this season, had three points, seven rebounds and a block in 18 crowd-pleasing minutes. He missed both field goal attempts.

Adrian Griffin needed two stitches in his upper lip but returned. Marquis Daniels (left hamstring) sat out.

The Mavs nearly saw their string of consecutive games with a 3-pointer broken, but center DeSagana Diop hit the first of his career with 56.6 seconds left to extend the streak to 610 straight.

Dallas tied a franchise low with six assists. The 71 points were a season low.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:43 AM   #112
foglemann
Golden Member

foglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to beholdfoglemann is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilmav2

The Shadow Looms...
Evil, when Pavel came in, all I could think of was what your posts would say here. I'm right there with you in your love for the Bear. The guy just needs time. I can't believe he's only 20 or 21, so fresh and barely has any experience. I think he's a perfect project for the next 4 or 5 years and then the league will know that the best center in the league, is a true monster.
foglemann is offline   Reply With Quote