Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #361
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I'd move Ellis to the bench or play him at pg. See, I think Ellis can be a great playmaker if he wanted to be. Unfortunately, he likes to resort back to Monta ball when the going gets tough.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2015, 08:42 PM   #362
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Guess UDog knows his $H!T...Rondo and Ellis at 15mil each is beginning to sound like a bargain.

I'm not sure we win anything with both of them but they might be tradable assets at that price.

Rim was wrong on this one...Kudos to UDog!!!
Yeah, it looks like you threw in the towel a little early... In light of this Rondo news, I'm actually starting to come around to your stance on the issue: both or neither.

And Rondo made the decision easy for us. If he's not coming back, then I see no reason to keep a disgruntled Ellis either... Because like you said - he's never going to be the #1 option on a true contender (or even #2 with his attitude). And signing Ellis to a higher contract doesn't really leave us with enough cap space to get over the hump next season.

When you consider the fact that we're going to be more than a few pieces away from contention if those two walk, then why should we pay good money to keep Tyson Chandler as well? A quick glance at this year's FA crop makes it pretty clear that we can't put together a contender with the amount of cap space we'd free up by letting Ellis and Rondo walk, so why commit the money/years to an aging center?

The idea was to go over the cap to keep this core intact... Without the core, what's the plan? Oh, I'm sure the FO will try to put together another season of ring-hunting mercenaries for one last run, but that's just putting off the inevitable rebuild until Dirk rides off into the sunset next summer. And I wouldn't have it any other way... But next season, much like the rest of this series against Houston, seems like a formality at this point. Thanks, Rondo.

TL;DR: we should blow this bitch up, but we owe Dirk one more "run" so he can finish #5 on the all-time scoring list.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:06 PM   #363
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond reputerimrocker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yeah, it looks like you threw in the towel a little early... In light of this Rondo news, I'm actually starting to come around to your stance on the issue: both or neither.

And Rondo made the decision easy for us. If he's not coming back, then I see no reason to keep a disgruntled Ellis either... Because like you said - he's never going to be the #1 option on a true contender (or even #2 with his attitude). And signing Ellis to a higher contract doesn't really leave us with enough cap space to get over the hump next season.

When you consider the fact that we're going to be more than a few pieces away from contention if those two walk, then why should we pay good money to keep Tyson Chandler as well? A quick glance at this year's FA crop makes it pretty clear that we can't put together a contender with the amount of cap space we'd free up by letting Ellis and Rondo walk, so why commit the money/years to an aging center?

The idea was to go over the cap to keep this core intact... Without the core, what's the plan? Oh, I'm sure the FO will try to put together another season of ring-hunting mercenaries for one last run, but that's just putting off the inevitable rebuild until Dirk rides off into the sunset next summer. And I wouldn't have it any other way... But next season, much like the rest of this series against Houston, seems like a formality at this point. Thanks, Rondo.

TL;DR: we should blow this bitch up, but we owe Dirk one more "run" so he can finish #5 on the all-time scoring list.
We're just in a bad position no matter how you look at it.

I think Dirk understands the FO did everything it could but who would have known things would blow up like this.
I know it sounds extreme, but I wonder if Dirk would consider asking for a trade to a contender so we can watch him go for another title. It would give us a little relief while we go through some painful years of watching the Mavs. At least we would have a team to root for while we watch young Mavs develop.

But your strategy was definitely the best until Rondo screwed it up. Now we are minus a draft pick while possibly being lottery bound for a few years.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #364
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
When you consider the fact that we're going to be more than a few pieces away from contention if those two walk, then why should we pay good money to keep Tyson Chandler as well?
I think Dirk has one or two more years left. Sign Chandler to a good money two year deal so we have a defender to cover some of Dirk's defensive deficiencies.

I would even accept keeping Ellis but only for two years as well.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 12:12 AM   #365
dirkhorse

dirkhorse is on a distinguished road

Rick Carlisle can't handle Monta.
We should not keep him...
dirkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:56 AM   #366
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
NBA and NFL draft are two of my fav times of the year. I'd love the chance to watch a player we develop flourish or even just draft valuable role-players. There is a huge disconnect between our FO and RC though. Players we get RC doesn't even use. The ones he does use he shoves them into a role where they may not exactly be utilized to their potential.

What kind of player would Jae Crowder develop to be standing in the corner on offense and defending the perimeter for 10-15mins a night with the Mavs. Compared to the Boston version that is getting 25+ mins a game and is happy and elated to not be in Dallas? Even if we drafted the freak or any of the players above, it means nothing if RC won't use them because they don't fit his system. We underused Aminu early in the year what makes anybody think Freak wouldn't be rotting away on the bench and playing sub 20min games on this team? How long have people around here been wanting to give more freedom to CP and see what he can do as the play-maker? We saw it happen a handful of times as RC uses him to, "shockingly", stand in the corner and space the floor.

I love RC for many reasons but developing talent isn't a strong suit. It has nothing to do with us being a competitive team and him not having a chance to develop them since we are in win now mode. We were one of the worst perimeter defensive teams in the league and Crowder didn't get much burn. Crowder then blasts us now that hes in Boston and has a role more than "standing in the corner". CP is a young guy, one of our most efficient plays this year was CP/TC PnR yet we never used it. Someone here posted the video. It was like 9% of CP's points come off that efficient play. A whopping 1.5 points a game basically off our most efficient play. Because the rest of the time he is standing in the corner to space things for Monta to shoot long jumpers. So either RC can't develop players or there is a disconnect between him and FO about what type of player he wants since every player ends up doing the same thing in RC's offense regardless of skill set.
I could not agree with you more. This is also one of the reasons why I'd let Carlisle walk if we are tanking. Parsons is basically filling the role of Jae Crowder right now, only with bigger minutes due to his ability to score. Carlisle has been my main worry for Mavs not being able to grow Parsons' potential. Perhaps, if Mavs have nothing to play for anymore, he'll focus on development but I'm not too confident on that.

I've always blamed those infamous Monta ISO plays on RC. Catering Monta is hurting the few talents Dallas has. Wasn't it Donnie Nelson who forced Carlisle to play Powell? Now, I don't think Powell has much upside but at best he could become decent role player.

You can just make so many examples that make RC look bad at developing young/raw talent.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote