Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 AM   #81
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure why I still follow Fish on Twitter, since all of his DLord stuff is behind a pay wall that I will never pay for, but he just tweeted this:

Quote:
Our #MAVS calculations are done. @realtuffjuice can fit at $6-7M a year for 4 years. Details comin at http://DallasBasketball.com.
This boggles my mind. No one actually thinks this is a good idea, do they?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2011, 09:45 AM   #82
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'd be curious what the market for players like Jamal Crawford and Jason Richardson is.

I'm not really worried about losing Butler if he so chooses to leave. There are quite a few low budget 2/3 type players that could fill his void.

Here is the list if anyone cares...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...eeAgents-11-12
Crawford will get as much as butler if not more
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:49 AM   #83
Funkman

Funkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to all

As much as I have a love/hate relationship with Barea, with the short training camp and all it would be best to keep him. Not the year to find and groom Kidd's replacement. I can still dream of somehow getting Deron next year and Barea can be his backup. But I don't think they should overpay him. It will be interesting to see what offers he gets and how it's going to play out.

As far as Caron. I would prefer a one year make good contract with incentives. His injury has me leery for anything long term and too high priced. The fact that the Mavs won without him probably helps the feeling he's not a high priority.
Funkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #84
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
Hence my interest in Dalembert.

I'd rather have Kwame than Delambert. At least Kwame looked like a competent player last season. And he had a great finish, particularly in the rebounding department.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:04 AM   #85
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32 View Post
I'm not sure why I still follow Fish on Twitter, since all of his DLord stuff is behind a pay wall that I will never pay for, but he just tweeted this:

I expect dlord is just "doing the math" on this one. He seems to be fishes guy for numbers. You know English majors and liberals ( lol ) typically have a tough time with numbers.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #86
Funkman

Funkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
I expect dlord is just "doing the math" on this one. He seems to be fishes guy for numbers. You know English majors and liberals ( lol ) typically have a tough time with numbers.
Not to mention fact checking donuts.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:15 AM   #87
Wang Zhi Zhi

Wang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to allWang Zhi Zhi is a name known to all

Eddie Sefko's article in the DMN today was a little odd, I thought. He seems to think that no free agent, not even Chandler, will be offered anything more than a 1-year contract this year.
Wang Zhi Zhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #88
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Cuban does have a history of paying his own guys a high salary so it somehow wouldn't surprise me.

I'd give him 4 a year for 3 years max because of such a major knee surgery. We won a championship with him on the bench, and there are too many reasonable players at his position in FA. Plus, you could do worse than Rudy, Stevenson (I think he is back), Roddy, Brewer, Dojo, and Marion at the 2/3 positions.

Still pure speculation at this point.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #89
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom View Post
I'd rather have Kwame than Delambert. At least Kwame looked like a competent player last season. And he had a great finish, particularly in the rebounding department.
Last season:

Samuel Dalembert - 8.1 PPG / 8.2 RPG / 1.4 BPG
Kwame Brown - 7.9 PPG / 6.8 RPG / 0.6 BPG

I guess looks can be deceiving...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 AM   #90
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Last season:

Hi Underdog my old friend

Why you talk about Dalembert and Brown?You should talk about Chandler.Because he is our number one...

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:00 AM   #91
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Last season:

I liked what I saw from Kwame a lot more than Dalembert, especially after Next Town Brown got the axe in Charlotte. Kwame played with more fire than Dalembert ever has.

Plus I believe it's already a lock that Dalembert is going to Miami. And he'll probably get a deal worth at least 3-4 times as much as Kwame gets.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #92
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post
Hi Underdog my old friend

Why you talk about Dalembert and Brown?You should talk about Chandler.Because he is our number one...
100% agree that bringing back Chandler is Plan A.

We're just considering a Plan B if he doesn't re-sign with the Mavs.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #93
Underdog

Quote:
I liked what I saw from Kwame a lot more than Dalembert, especially after Next Town Brown got the axe in Charlotte. Kwame played with more fire than Dalembert ever has.

Plus I believe it's already a lock that Dalembert is going to Miami. And he'll probably get a deal worth at least 3-4 times as much as Kwame gets.
Um, where exactly is Miami going to scrape up the 3-4 times more money than what Kwame is worth to pay Dalembert??

The projected 2011/12 salary cap is about $58mil, Miami already has $65mil in dedicated salaries...

EDIT: also, where did you get the idea that Kwame finished stronger than Dalembert? Looking at their last 8 games (the month of April), Kwame did have a very impressive 23/13 game, but Dalembert had games of 16/18, 17/16, 12/10, 21/15 and 10/12 in that same stretch...

Last edited by Underdog; 11-28-2011 at 11:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #94
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Quote:

As mentioned before, it was probably D-Lord who came up with these figures and I'd guess it's just an outline of what could be possible.

As much as I'd like Caron to be back, a four-year deal for a 31-year-old player who's coming off a major knee injury and hasn't played ever since would be very risky, maybe even absurd, especially under the new CBA. Which team would offer him that kind of money and years anyway?

$5-7 million per year over 2 years with a team option for a third year would perhaps be reasonable.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #95
Funkman

But if Miami isn't in luxury tax territory, don't they get the full MLE instead of the mini MLE? So they could offer Dalembert that.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #96
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I will again reiterate that I have zero interest in giving Butler more than a one year deal.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #97
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Yep. $20 million over four years is the maximum they could offer Dalembert.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #98
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
By comparison, he made $13mil last season...

Last edited by Underdog; 11-28-2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #99
dalger
Golden Member

Quote:
I will again reiterate that I have zero interest in giving Butler more than a one year deal.
One year would be the best-case scenario. If it turned out that we could only retain him by offering him two years, what would keep us from giving him those two years? How would it "hurt" us as it relates to our chances to compete for another ring? After all, it's not our money and the more prohibitive luxury tax would kick in after the two years.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #100
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Don't forget the 4.5% raises every year.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #101
Underdog

Quote:
Agreed - Butler is too big of a risk coming off of a knee injury to dedicate more than a year to.

Besides, doesn't he still kinda OWE us for that ring?

Last edited by Underdog; 11-28-2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:31 AM   #102
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
One year would be the best-case scenario. If it turned out that we could only retain him by offering him two years, what would keep us from giving him those two years? How would it "hurt" us as it relates to our chances to compete for another ring? After all, it's not our money and the more prohibitive luxury tax would kick in after the two years.
It locks up a roster spot and costs money against our budget, whatever it may be.

Even if Butler were healthy I would be reluctant to give him a significant multi-year deal. He was ineffective for us two years ago and his effectiveness last season was a small sample size based on defense and three point shooting that I don't believe he will continue.

I'm just not a believer in his fit. Marion is, and should continue to be our starting Small Forward. Also, Marion's effectiveness at PF is going to continue to decline as he gets older and loses quickness. So I don't think it makes sense to sign someone like Butler who is going to expect to play 25+ minutes a game at SF.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #103
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

I hope D.Nelson will keep Tyson with us...

Old 11-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #104
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still waiting for horse to weigh in on these free-agency issues.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:19 PM   #105
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Um, where exactly is Miami going to scrape up the 3-4 times more money than what Kwame is worth to pay Dalembert??

The projected 2011/12 salary cap is about $58mil, Miami already has $65mil in dedicated salaries...
MLE... I believe Miami will offer the whole thing to Dalembert. And I mean in total contract, not 3-4 times as much per year. I think Kwame gets 1, maybe two years tops, but somebody (Miami, if not them probably Houston) will severely overpay Dalembert.

Quote:
EDIT: also, where did you get the idea that Kwame finished stronger than Dalembert? Looking at their last 8 games (the month of April), Kwame did have a very impressive 23/13 game, but Dalembert had games of 16/18, 17/16, 12/10, 21/15 and 10/12 in that same stretch...
I'm not sure where I said that. I just liked what I saw from Kwame.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #106
41mvp
Golden Member

What about Barea?If he leave our team...Do you think Roddy is ready to play?Barea was brilliant in the playoffs time.

Last edited by 41mvp; 11-28-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:57 PM   #107
Underdog

Quote:
I'm not sure where I said that. I just liked what I saw from Kwame.
Post #84...

Quote:

Every way I look at it, Dalembert is a far superior player to Kwame Brown - rebounding, scoring, blocks - full season stats, end of season stats, career stats, the eyeball test... I just don't see how you can make an argument for Kwame over Dalembert unless you're talking from a strictly financial standpoint, in which case you shouldn't even be comparing the two.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-28-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:03 PM   #108
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
Post #84...

Every way I look at it, Dalembert is a far superior player to Kwame Brown - rebounding, scoring, blocks - full season stats, end of season stats, career stats, the eyeball test... I just don't see how you can make an argument for Kwame over Dalembert unless you're talking from a strictly financial standpoint, in which case you shouldn't even be comparing the two.

I have no idea why you'd say that last part, especially considering how strapped we'll be for cap space as we enter free agency. I'd rather look into signing a guy like Kwame for 1yr/$3M than Dalembert at 4yrs/$18-20M. I think that's what each guy will realistically command on the open market, though the Bobcats might overpay for Kwame, considering he had arguably the best season of his career for them last season.

Saying I'd rather have somebody is in no way saying he's a better player. I'm saying I'd take the guy that will bring more value to us. And getting extremely similar production from a guy that plays the same game as Dalembert at a fraction of the price.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #109
vinylstar

vinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud ofvinylstar has much to be proud of

I'm going on record saying we need to keep Kwame Brown as far away from the Mavs as possible. If you believe Chandler intangibles are what put the Mavs over the top last year, Brown is not where you go to fill that potential void.

This is the guy Phil Jackson had to nickname "Pussy" to motivate him...yeah.
vinylstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:26 PM   #110
Underdog

Quote:
I have no idea why you'd say that last part, especially considering how strapped we'll be for cap space as we enter free agency. I'd rather look into signing a guy like Kwame for 1yr/$3M than Dalembert at 4yrs/$18-20M. I think that's what each guy will realistically command on the open market, though the Bobcats might overpay for Kwame, considering he had arguably the best season of his career for them last season.

Saying I'd rather have somebody is in no way saying he's a better player. I'm saying I'd take the guy that will bring more value to us. And getting extremely similar production from a guy that plays the same game as Dalembert at a fraction of the price.
We're talking about Plan B if Chandler doesn't re-sign with the Mavs, why in the hell would you replace him with ANYONE that's getting paid 1yr/$3m??? We're trying to win a championship - 4yrs/$18-20m is more in the ballpark for a guy that can help you win more than just lotto balls...

I'd rather roll with Haywood/Mahinmi than waste any amount of money on a spare like Kwame Brown.

Last edited by Underdog; 11-28-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #111
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Seconded.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #112
spreedom
Diamond Member

Quote:
We're talking about Plan B if Chandler doesn't re-sign with the Mavs, why in the hell would you replace him with ANYONE that's getting paid 1yr/$3m??? We're trying to win a championship - 4yrs/$18-20m is in the ballpark for a guy that can actually help you win more than just lotto balls...

I'd rather roll with Haywood/Mahinmi than waste any amount of money on a spare like Kwame Brown.

My bad, I must have missed that part of the thread. I was talking more about potential free agent targets in general terms, or if we were using the amnesty clause on Haywood or something like that.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #113
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:

Let's remember that the Mavs don't even have the ability to offer a 4 yr/18-20M contract to someone that is not their own free agent. Unless they amnesty Haywood.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 11-28-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #114
dalger
Golden Member

Quote:
It locks up a roster spot and costs money against our budget, whatever it may be.

Even if Butler were healthy I would be reluctant to give him a significant multi-year deal. He was ineffective for us two years ago and his effectiveness last season was a small sample size based on defense and three point shooting that I don't believe he will continue.

I'm just not a believer in his fit. Marion is, and should continue to be our starting Small Forward. Also, Marion's effectiveness at PF is going to continue to decline as he gets older and loses quickness. So I don't think it makes sense to sign someone like Butler who is going to expect to play 25+ minutes a game at SF.
I don't think that a two-year deal worth $10-14 million would be too significant for a player who could very well turn out to actually be worth it. Losing a well-liked, team-oriented guy like Butler, his potential productivity and his desirable effect on Dirk's and Marion's minutes because of unwillingness to offer him two years instead of one wouldn't exactly thrill me, to be honest.

I'd actually argue that he was a pretty good fit alongside Dirk and Marion. At the time he got hurt, he was arguably our best scorer behind Dirk and stepped up big time as soon as Dirk injured his knee (admittedly, only for a very short period of time). He's a two-way player who can easily be paired with an offensive or defensive minded shooting guard, thus providing us with a nice deal of flexibility at the wings. It's also worth noting that, while he might expect to play 25+ minutes, Caron was fine with being on the bench during crunch time and living up to Rick's "role acceptance" mantra.

Finally, it comes down to alternatives. Right now, our alternatives at the forward spots are Brewer and Cardinal. Not adding Butler to that list due to his effect on a payroll that'll be lower than last year's anyway doesn't make sense to me, assuming that we're talking about a two-year deal. Plus, we could re-sign Chandler, JJB, Butler and Cardinal and still have an open spot on our roster.

Again, I'm not preferring a two-year deal, yet it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to take that risk. The potential upside of having Caron play some decent basketball with a reasonable salary until 2013 is something I'd prefer over losing him for a mere and meaningless $6 million.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:13 PM   #115
Underdog

Quote:
Let's remember that the Mavs don't even have the ability to offer a 4 yr/18-20M contract to someone that is not their own free agent. Unless they amnesty Haywood.
How does that amnesty clause work anyway - when does a player have to be waived? Could we waive Haywood in the middle of negotiating with Chandler (if we found it necessary to free up a little more cap space), or is this something that needs to be determined before free agency?

Last edited by Underdog; 11-28-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #116
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
I don't think that a two-year deal worth $10-14 million would be too significant for a player who could very well turn out to actually be worth it. Losing a well-liked, team-oriented guy like Butler, his potential productivity and his desirable effect on Dirk's and Marion's minutes because of unwillingness to offer him two years instead of one wouldn't exactly thrill me, to be honest.

I'd actually argue that he was a pretty good fit alongside Dirk and Marion. At the time he got hurt, he was arguably our best scorer behind Dirk and stepped up big time as soon as Dirk injured his knee (admittedly, only for a very short period of time). He's a two-way player who can easily be paired with an offensive or defensive minded shooting guard, thus providing us with a nice deal of flexibility at the wings. It's also worth noting that, while he might expect to play 25+ minutes, Caron was fine with being on the bench during crunch time and living up to Rick's "role acceptance" mantra.

Finally, it comes down to alternatives. Right now, our alternatives at the forward spots are Brewer and Cardinal. Not adding Butler to that list due to his effect on a payroll that'll be lower than last year's anyway doesn't make sense to me, assuming that we're talking about a two-year deal. Plus, we could re-sign Chandler, JJB, Butler and Cardinal and still have an open spot on our roster.

Again, I'm not preferring a two-year deal, yet it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to take that risk. The potential upside of having Caron play some decent basketball with a reasonable salary until 2013 is something I'd prefer over losing him for a mere and meaningless $6 million.
Two things:

1. I don't understand how you can say that he's a good fit with Dirk and Marion when he can't be on the floor with both of them.

2. I'ts not 6 million, it's 12 million. And keep in mind that we're going to have to stay under the Luxury Tax twice in the next five years or face even more ridiculous penalties. You can no longer just say "I really don't want to lose him, eff it we'll give him an extra year even though we really don't want to".

The bottom line for me is that we acquired Butler to be our SG, only to discover that he couldn't play the position. They made it work last year and no one's saying that it's a bad thing to have two starting caliber SF's on the roster, but he's not a great fit, and we have Brewer who I think the Mavs expect to contribute this season.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 11-28-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #117
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

9th december taking forever....pffffffffffff
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #118
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
How does that amnesty clause work anyway - when does a player have to be waived? Could we waive Haywood in the middle of negotiating with Chandler (if we found it necessary to free up a little more cap space), or is this something that needs to be determined before free agency?
As far as we know right now, it just has to be the off season. And it doesn't even have to be this off season, it can be any time during the current CBA.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 11-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #119
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Two things:

1. I don't understand how you can say that he's a good fit with Dirk and Marion when he can't be on the floor with both of them.
He is a good fit because this three could pull off a great forward rotation, keeping everyones minutes low, winning games and going fresh into the playoffs. He proved last november and december that he (finally) adjusted his game and he was a great fit (and 2nd best Mavs in december).

I just dont want to rely on Brewer (yet).

One of the really "wow" things about playoffs was that we were able to dodge a huge bullet going through with a Marion/Peja/Stevenson SF rotation, specially with playing the Thunder and Heat.

We got lucky that Marion was able to play heavy minutes without foul trouble or injuries. And yes Butler comes off an injury but in the same time his price tag is reduced.

Last edited by sefant77; 11-28-2011 at 02:32 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM   #120
CATCH-17

CATCH-17 is a jewel in the roughCATCH-17 is a jewel in the roughCATCH-17 is a jewel in the roughCATCH-17 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post
I hope D.Nelson will keep Tyson with us...
If he doesn't we won't make it back to the Finals.