Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2010 Olympic games talk

As to Cresta !

http://www.cresta-run.com/default.cfm

Happy Birthday !!!

St Moritz Cresta Club !

MEMORANDUM ON SUPPLEMENTARY MEMBERSHIP

Information for Beginners

Although the SMTC is a private Club, non-Members may apply for temporary Membership on the Supplementary List which entitles them to ride in the early mornings on certain days. Groups are not accepted. Details are contained in the Memorandum on Supplementary Membership below.

Women are not permitted to ride the Cresta Run.

Persons over 18 who are not Members of the Club and who wish to ride the Cresta Run may apply for Supplementary (SL) Membership, which shall terminate automatically at the close of each season. Any person wishing to use the Run in any subsequent season must make fresh application for SL Membership. Women are not permitted to ride the Cresta Run.

The Cresta Run is open to Supplementary Members (SL Members) on practice days (normally designated weekdays) from opening time, 8 am or 8.30 am, until 9.30 am. Thereafter availability of the Run is dependent upon the requirements of Life and Full Members who have priority. SL Members may not ride on race days (i.e. weekends and (normally) one day mid-week) save with special permission from the Secretary.

Entrance Fees
First Season: first 5 rides: SFr. 600
Second and subsequent seasons: SFr. 500
The Entrance Fee is returnable only if the application for SL Membership is not accepted or no single ride is available to the SL Member during his stay. Unused rides are not transferable.

Extra Rides
Extra Rides (aged 28 or over on 20 December) SFr. 50 per ride
Extra Rides (aged under 28 on 20 December) SFr. 35 per ride
Extra Rides will be recorded by the Club, and every SL Member must pay for them in the Clubhouse on the last day of his riding and before leaving St Moritz.

What is the difference between the Cresta, the Bob, the Luge and Bob-Skeleton?

* On the Cresta Run, the rider goes down by himself on a toboggan in a lying position head-first, using rakes on the end of special boots to brake and steer.
* On Bob Runs, riders go down in pairs or teams of four in a metal capsule on runners. One person steers, another operates the brakes. Riders go down in a seated position.
* The Luge. Riders lie on their backs on toboggan, feet first. They ride on Bob Runs and Luge Runs, both singly and in pairs.
* The Bob-Skeleton. As on the Cresta, individuals ride head-first, on similar toboggans, but without rakes. They ride on Bob Runs. (For further information see the British Bobsleigh Skeleton Association www.bobskeleton.org.uk. Those interested in experiencing the Bob or Bob-Skeleton can do so at Lillehammer, through SYS, the ultimate event company: www.sys-ultimate-events.com. )

What are the risks in riding the Cresta Run?
The whole purpose and challenge of the Run is the exercise of the skill and judgement required to negotiate the corners successfully with the minimum loss of speed and time. Thus the risk of falling, or losing control, is inherent in the sport. Because of this factor and the fact that a rider is travelling fast over an icy surface on an open toboggan, riding the Cresta Run is inherently dangerous. Certain banks are slightly convex and designed so that a rider will fall out of the Run if he is out of control. Banks on bob and luge runs are concave and people fall within the track. A curling stone sent down the Cresta Run, whether from Top or Junction, will come out at the first such opportunity. A curling stone sent down a bob run will arrive at the finish. . All riders ride at their own risk and must sign a liability disclaimer before riding.

Ad

Last edited by GermanDunk; 07-02-2010 at 11:39 AM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

I love the tassle.

Sorry for the non sequitur.....i'm not even sure what the OP is about.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 02-18-2010 at 11:54 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #3
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

The winter olympics: The only thing Germany is good at.

What Shaun White did yesterday was pretty awesome.

I watched the Chinese womens hockey team tonight for a while...they need to play on a smaller rink...with a smaller puck. Seriously.

Oh and Canada having to go to a shootout to beat the Swiss team...lolCanada. That is pathetic.

I turn on NBC every now and then and hate what I see almost every time. Because it's figure skating. Do people really like that trash?

Summer Olympics....I love you so much more.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #4
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be so judgmental....

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
Old 02-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #5
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Flaco. Show some tolerance.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:57 AM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Tolerance: File not found

Figure skating sucks bull testicles.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

I agree on that, but i have to admit, it seems to be not that easy to roll those figures on ice, while throwing women away.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:20 PM   #8
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco View Post
Figure skating sucks bull testicles.
Au contrare...

Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Dim499
Platinum Member

Dim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud ofDim499 has much to be proud of

Quote:
The winter olympics: The only thing Germany is good at.
Duuude! Why you gotta be like dat, son?
Dim499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
mary
Troll Hunter

haters......

Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I am a star-crossed lover of winter sports. I LOVE the winter olympics!

I miss BC like crazy watching all of this coverage. I think I'm glad I'm not there while it's so crowded... but I also feel a twinge of regret that I'm not there.

That's an awesome bruise, by the way.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #12
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Corby tried to tell us that Shaun White was probably the most popular athlete in the world according to 15-25 year old guys. So, I asked a couple dozen 15-25 year old guys what they thought... and only 2 of them even knew who he was.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
mary
Troll Hunter

Sex Bomb!

Old 02-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #14
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Corby may sound like an authority on every subject he comments on, but I'm not so sure..
Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 AM   #15
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

all I care about:
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #16
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse900703 View Post
all I care about:
True, making sure you have hotties representing your country IS priority #1.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #17
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
True, making sure you have hotties representing your country IS priority #1.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:18 AM   #18
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

I watched an ass load of curling today, and I gotta say...the strategy is awfully entertaining to anyone with the slightest bit of patience.

Tomorrow is hockey day. Hockey all day! Effing Canada is going to crush the USA, unfortunately.

Hey Canada, nice job with the 8 medals. You're so awesome. /sarcasm
Old 02-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #19
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I watched an ass load of curling today
"If a man is called to be a street sweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven composed music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great street sweeper who did his job well."

Is this ghost ball??
Old 02-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #20
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
Tomorrow is hockey day. Hockey all day!

Is this ghost ball??
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #21
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Yes Canada, the little Americans went into your house and beat you in your own sport. Thanks for keeping our head warm.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #22
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

The worlds largest inferiority complex got a little bigger today.

Suck it, Canada. Enjoy your extra game you f@#kers.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:43 AM   #23
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Assuming Canada wipes the floor with Germany in the opening round, they get to play Russia in the quarterfinals.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:34 AM   #24
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Yeah...and it's looking favorable for the U.S. to get that #1 seed, unless Sweden really pours it on here pretty quick against Finland. It could happen.

So the USA could be looking at Switzerland or Belarus in the quarters, then potentially Canada again in the semis.

The odds of beating Canada twice are slim to none. If its gets to that point, I hope they just beat them up physically anyway.

Either way, that collective groan you hear later this morning is all of Canada waking up and realizing that game really happened. It's going to be a bad monday in Canada. Everyone will be looking to get "oot" of the office as soon as they can.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #25
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

BTW...Loui Eriksson has two goals already tonight for Sweden, and he's pimping #91 in honor of his Dallas Stars teammate Brad Richards.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:02 AM   #26
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Quote:
Yeah...and it's looking favorable for the U.S. to get that #1 seed, unless Sweden really pours it on here pretty quick against Finland. It could happen.

So the USA could be looking at Switzerland or Belarus in the quarters, then potentially Canada again in the semis.

The odds of beating Canada twice are slim to none. If its gets to that point, I hope they just beat them up physically anyway.

Either way, that collective groan you hear later this morning is all of Canada waking up and realizing that game really happened. It's going to be a bad monday in Canada. Everyone will be looking to get "oot" of the office as soon as they can.
Actually, assuming Sweden wins this game over Finland by less than 6, not only would the US be #1, but Russia AND Canada would be on the other side of the bracket. They would only have to face one, and it couldn't be until the gold medal game.

Like you said, we'd play the winner of Switzerland-Belarus in the quarterfinals. The other quarterfinal game on the US side of the bracket would be Finland (as it stands now, they'd be #4) against probably the Czech Republic.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #27
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Oh, right...brackets. That's stupid. They should re-seed. So should the NBA playoffs, and college basketball. And everyone.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #28
92bDad
Platinum Member

92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future92bDad has a brilliant future

Fun game last night...no it's not quite the 1980 team...but sitting on the couch, watching the game with my son...I got to flashback to being an 11 year old kid, living in Cleveland and celebrating beating the Russians.

What a feeling to be chanting USA USA USA USA!!!

Enjoying the moment, and hoping that Team USA finishes at the top!!!
92bDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #29
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

That was one of the best games i've seen in all of sports in years. God i love hockey. If Tim Gleason can get one in, all of the Hurricanes players would have scored at least 1 goal.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #30
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

A really good game by both teams, but mojo was on US side. Props to Canada for fighting back. Last game for the Germans. This is kinda sad, because the team has improved, but we can´t compete with Lidstrom-class guys.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #31
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

Woohoo !

Old 02-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #32
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
Woohoo !

Who the crap did these rankings?!

Is this ghost ball??
Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 PM   #33
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

OK, last day for the Hockey team. Sad, sad.

Last edited by GermanDunk; 02-23-2010 at 01:18 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #34
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

No matter how the Hockey final will end. Guess who is the winner

Ids Postma. God damnit
Old 02-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #35
mavspwnage
Golden Member

USA took Finland behind the woodshed and punished them. Wow that was a dominant performance. No way did I see that kind of ass-kicking coming, especially against a very solid veteran team.

On to the gold medal game!!
Old 02-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #36
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

Go Deutschland !
Old 02-26-2010, 06:47 PM   #37
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

Wooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 10:35 PM   #38
mary
Troll Hunter

Even when its an event I really don't care about, I can't help but tear up when the USA brings home the gold. Congrats to the Bobsled men for their historical run this afternoon.

And I apologize to Murph for not supplementing this post with the appropriate Bobsled stats.

Last edited by mary; 02-27-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:17 AM   #39
mavspwnage
Golden Member

Old 02-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #40
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Gold medal hockey game is crazy. USA ties it with like 20 seconds left. OT now.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote