Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 05-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default King of Kings Fired!

Adelman Fired!

Adelman will be let go at afternoon news conference

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Rick Adelman is apparently out as the head coach of the Sacramento Kings.

According to sources, and also reported on the Sacramento Bee Web site, Adelman will be relieved of duties at a 6 p.m. ET news conference. Kings president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie is expected to make the announcement.

Adelman was without a contract after the Kings were eliminated from the NBA Playoffs by San Antonio.

Adelman has won 752 games in his NBA career, which has included stops in Portland and Golden State as well as Sacramento.

Sacramento won 25 of their last 36 regular-season games shortly after Ron Artest was acquired in a trade for Peja Stojakovic, the last remaining player from the 1999 roster that thrilled the NBA with its wide-open, free-flowing style in the first of eight straight trips to the playoffs.

"I'm really proud of the way the guys finished this season, because people had written us off -- said we were done as a franchise," Adelman said recently. "We've built a great foundation for the stuff we want to be able to do. I'm very optimistic about it."

Information from the Associated Press is included in this report
Old 05-09-2006, 04:51 PM   #2
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to see him next year setting beside Del Harris. The D by Harris and Avery, and the O by Adelman.......sweet.

I still like his Big man passing offense, and I think Dirk, Howard, and Terry would absolutely thrive in it.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Don't think he'll take an assistant position. I'm pretty sure he'll be a hot commodity come off-season.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:38 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Really puts the coffin on the weber kings doesn't it. Complete fall from the heights. Just shows how fleeting it all can be.

LET'S GO MAVS!!!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 05:58 PM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Must've been an irreconcilable falling out with the Magoof brothers; he probably wanted nothing to do with Artest.

Still amazing that he can manage to guide a team which was in substantial disarray to the playoffs, and get released for his effort.

And Isiah is still workin Dolan's teat.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 06:10 PM   #6
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

See what happens when you side with the evil spurs! FIRED!
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleDipping
Don't think he'll take an assistant position. I'm pretty sure he'll be a hot commodity come off-season.
I don't think too many teams are going to have vacancies for head coaches. i think he'd be a pretty good assistant just as long as we'd keep him soley for offense.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:32 PM   #8
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Thread should be titled "King of Queens" fired.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #9
Variant

Variant is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rick take the year off, or at the very least try and stay somewhere on the west coast, maybe even with a non-NBA job. I remember in an older Sac Bee article he mentioned that he would like for his kid to finish up their senior year there in Sacramento.

That said, I can't imagine a guy with Rick's resume not getting numerous quality job offers. And if the vacancies aren't available til next year, could definitely see him waiting.

Teams I could see him ultimately ending up as head coach of would include: Seattle, Knicks or 76ers. My bet would be on Seattle because he definitely likes the Pac Northwest.

Last edited by Variant; 05-09-2006 at 10:03 PM.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:24 PM   #10
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Paging Don Nelson.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #11
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Im surprised by this move. He leads them to 8 straight playoff seasons, and gets fired for his efforts.

It seems to me that coaches are blamed way too much.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:47 AM   #12
Variant

Variant is on a distinguished road

Also one of a handful of coaches to lead two different franchises to 60+ wins.

Bee article this morning makes it sound like the Maloofs were squarely behind this one. Dunno if meddling owners are always a good thing
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

great thread title

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

this needs to fall under be careful what you wish for. Adelman has taken a lot of crap from guys like simmons but the bottom line is the guy wins. I dont see how you fire a guy who has never missed the playoffs.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote