Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 AM   #1
Pongo
Golden Member

Pongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to allPongo is a name known to all
Default Devin Harris Q & A

http://www.dimemag.com/feature.asp?id=2519

Devin Harris Q & A

While the Dallas Mavericks came two wins (and one D-Wade) shy of an NBA championship this year, Devin Harris had himself a star-making postseason. After starting in just four games and averaging 22 minutes a night in the regular season, Devin was inserted into the starting five during the Mavs second-round series with San Antonio, and took off from there, culminating in a 30-point, five-steal showing against the Suns in Game 1 of the conference finals. We caught up with Devin in Vegas last week.

Dime: What have you been up to this summer?
DH: Pretty much just clearing my head, trying to forget what happened last season.

Dime: Was the Finals loss that hard on you?
DH: It was hard. The way we lost it, having the lead and losing four straight, that wasn’t the way we wanted it to happen.

Dime: How did you clear your head? Did you do anything different than the normal offseason?
DH: I just went home and did my normal thing. I didn’t watch a lot of TV, no “Sportscenter” or anything like that. I tried to concentrate on other things.

Dime: Not trying to get you in any trouble, but what was your take on the refs during the Finals?
DH: I mean, we didn’t get the calls all the time. They’re not gonna be perfect, but we felt we didn’t get the calls. But they’re only human, and we shouldn’t have been in that position. We can only blame ourselves.

Dime: Losing to Miami was hard on you, but you have to consider last year’s playoffs a success for you on an individual level, right? You were one of the League’s breakout stars after the San Antonio series.
DH: Yeah, it gives me a lot of confidence going into this year. Hopefully I can start at point guard and get more minutes.

Dime: Does this current Mavericks squad have the parts to win the championship, or are you missing something?
DH: We had the pieces last year. With the moves we made this (summer), we have better role players. And our core guys are back.

Dime: You gained a rep as one of fastest, if not the fastest, player in the League with the ball. Where do you rank yourself on that list?
DH: I still think Iverson is one of the fastest guys. Barbosa, too. It’s all about how you change gears, though. How you use your quickness. Avery is always preaching about that all the time, about using four or five different speeds.

Dime: How much does it help you to have a coach who used to be an NBA point guard?
DH: It’s great because he teaches me how to play the game effectively, even if you aren’t the best athlete.

Dime: Which NBA players do you look up to our pattern your game after?
DH: Tony Parker. Our games are similar, and our teams play similar styles.

Dime: Are you more of a celebrity now since the Finals?
DH: I’d have to say so, especially right after the season. I was more recognizable. It was less likely I’d have to wait for a table.

Last edited by Pongo; 09-11-2006 at 03:18 AM.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2006, 04:34 AM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dime: How much does it help you to have a coach who used to be an NBA point guard?
DH: It’s great because he teaches me how to play the game effectively, even if you aren’t the best athlete.
Ummm...maybe he needs a coach who teaches him to play the game effectively when you ARE the best athlete.

This will be very interesting, to see what AJ does with Harris.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

I smell improvement.. and greatness?

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky

Last edited by mqywaaah; 09-11-2006 at 06:40 AM.
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

genius
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

he should have added in the regular season for patterning his game after parker. No one wants to play like parker in the playoffs.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Well, WE may or may not believe in Devin Harris' abilities as a starter, but he certainly does! [I can't imagine that anyone else's opinion matters more... Until Avery makes his final decision about who starts...]

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote