Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-14-2003, 02:15 PM   #1
one long blue sock
Golden Member

one long blue sock will become famous soon enough
Default skip

Does anyone know if Toronto is gonna resign Alston, because if we were to trade Nick, he would be a great back up. Does alot with little, and creates energy.
Old 06-14-2003, 02:35 PM   #2
nowitzki_prophecy
Platinum Member

nowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the roughnowitzki_prophecy is a jewel in the rough
Default skip

yea,Rafer alston isnt a bad way to good,good guard of the bench.

his stats
nowitzki_prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 01:54 PM   #3
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light
Default skip

are you kidding me. Did you see his FG% and FT%. Also did you see 0.59 steals/game.
Old 06-15-2003, 02:24 PM   #4
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default skip

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavsfanforever
are you kidding me. Also did you see 0.59 steals/game.
Alston - 1.86 steals per 48 minutes
NVE - 1.02 steals per 48 minutes
Nash - 1.5 steals per 48 minutes

MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 03:49 PM   #5
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default skip

skip to my lou needs to go back and play in the and1 videos, b/c thats the only place he's got game.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of
Default RE: skip

The Mavs already had him, they traded him for trying to do too many tricks
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 03:38 PM   #7
OutletPass
Diamond Member

OutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really niceOutletPass is just really nice
Default skip

For those who didn't follow the Raps (understandable)...or play the virtual GM game (cowardly)...Skip played EXTREMELY WELL when the raps got hit with injuries at the guard positions....

just go check his game by game stats on espn.com and you'll see. Look at the games where he played 30 minutes or more.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:30 PM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default skip

Quote:
skip to my lou needs to go back and play in the and1 videos, b/c thats the only place he's got game.
Sorry but that´s a stupid and ignorant statement aex. Alston is a very capable backup PG in this league. Don´t know if he´s good enough to start anywhere but he definitly belongs in the NBA. Don´t make the mistake and reduce him to the AND1 videos just because he´s a streetball legend.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:16 PM   #9
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default skip

Quote:
Originally posted by: Fidel
Quote:
Sorry but that´s a stupid and ignorant statement aex. Alston is a very capable backup PG in this league. Don´t know if he´s good enough to start anywhere but he definitly belongs in the NBA. Don´t make the mistake and reduce him to the AND1 videos just because he´s a streetball legend.

sorry, but i disagree. he has no outside jumper. cannot run a set offense. and has no man on defense whatsoever. he'll come up with an occassional steal, but on the whole he completely underwhelms me. his game is completely dependent on getting penetration into the lane. he may improve, but as of right now, he is nothing better than a 3rd or 4th string point guard. i would take any number of pg's in the league as a backup before i take skip to my lou.

in addition, i see nothing stupid or ignorant about my statement. he's bounced around between a billion teams, and he only put up good numbers when the raptors were depleted and had no other players to play. you may disagree with it, but if everyone who disagreed with you was stupid or ignorant, the world would be a very elitist society.
Old 06-16-2003, 11:25 PM   #10
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

I hate to say it Fidel, but Aex is on point. In a playoff situation, i wouldn't want him in at the point b/c he won't know how to finish a play. That's why the Raptors picked him, b/c they don't have a lot of offensive strategies.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 11:46 PM   #11
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Default skip

Alston had no outside jumper, but you dont Want your pg goin down the court and jackin up a shot without anybody touching the ball.(Troy) Alston gets the whole team into the flow by GREAT penetration and then passing. He might not be able to be a starting PG, but he is a very good backup, he plays well with limited minutes. He also contributes in alot of aspects, if you followed VGM.
And he loves the game more than money...
Old 06-17-2003, 12:15 AM   #12
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Default skip

And he came up with alot of clutch plays for both Toronto, and Fresno St.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:19 AM   #13
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default skip

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
Quote:
Quote:

sorry, but i disagree. he has no outside jumper. cannot run a set offense. and has no man on defense whatsoever. he'll come up with an occassional steal, but on the whole he completely underwhelms me. his game is completely dependent on getting penetration into the lane. he may improve, but as of right now, he is nothing better than a 3rd or 4th string point guard. i would take any number of pg's in the league as a backup before i take skip to my lou.

in addition, i see nothing stupid or ignorant about my statement. he's bounced around between a billion teams, and he only put up good numbers when the raptors were depleted and had no other players to play. you may disagree with it, but if everyone who disagreed with you was stupid or ignorant, the world would be a very elitist society.
About his outside jumper. Well he shot .392 from behind the arc while attempting 150 threes in just 47 games. That´s a pretty good number, Nr. 20 in the league. Our very own Dirk Nowitzki shot .379. Would you say he has no outside jumper too? Plus Alstons numbers have been improving every year. I didn´t say he was an allstar, just a capable backup PG. The stupid and ignorant part of your statement was where you tried to reduce Alston to his streetball past. If you just disagree with me on Alston that´s fine with me.
Old 06-17-2003, 12:13 PM   #14
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Default skip

he's a career 37% shooter., 36% 3's and a 68% FT shooter. nothing he has done in his career would make me think he's a good outside shooter.
Old 06-17-2003, 01:16 PM   #15
Fidel
Diamond Member

Default skip

Quote:
he's a career 37% shooter., 36% 3's and a 68% FT shooter. nothing he has done in his career would make me think he's a good outside shooter.
So Dirk´s a bad outside shooter too? Or are you just going to ingnore the fact that Alston shot a better percentage from behind the arc last year then Dirk (or Stojakovic, or Ray Allen)?

If you look at his numbers, they got constantly better. His FG% went from .284 to .415 (still room for improvement, but there are a lot of guards who are considered to be much better who shoot at the same clip. Try Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, NVE, Andre Miller, Paul Pierce, Allen Iverson, Ricky Davis, Michael Finley, Jerry Stackhouse).

3pt % went from .214 to .392 which actually puts him at NR.5 ! in the league among pointguards and NR. 16 among PG`s and SG`s combined...

Old 06-17-2003, 01:37 PM   #16
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

you dont judge a good outside shooter solely on their 3pt shooting, otherwise manute bol would be a fantastic outside shooter.

you collectively aggregate the numbers, and go from there.

his 68% FT shooting in conjunction with his career numbers from the field tell me he's a pretty average at best shooter.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:03 PM   #17
Fidel
Diamond Member

Default skip

Career numbers are pretty irrelevant here, because Alston struggled mightily his first two years. The comparision to other players when it comes to fg and 3pt % is where it gets interesting. Obviously you chose to ignore that.

You are just plain wrong about Alston. Like OP said, look at those espn boxscores where he played 30+ minutes this year. He played really well. So he´s very capable of being a backup PG in this league, perhaps even more.
Old 06-17-2003, 02:17 PM   #18
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Default skip

Quote:
Career numbers are pretty irrelevant here, because Alston struggled mightily his first two years. The comparision to other players when it comes to fg and 3pt % is where it gets interesting. Obviously you chose to ignore that.

You are just plain wrong about Alston. Like OP said, look at those espn boxscores where he played 30+ minutes this year. He played really well. So he´s very capable of being a backup PG in this league, perhaps even more.
i'm not ignoring anything. when you shoot 41% from the field and 68% from the FT line, i challenge you to find anybody who thinks that makes a good outside shooter.

there is nothing good or above average about that. its very mediocre at best.

and since when are career numbers irrelevant? hes a terrible FT shooter and at best an average shooter from the field. when does shooting 41% from the field and 68% from the FT line constitute a good outside shooter?
Old 06-17-2003, 02:39 PM   #19
Fidel
Diamond Member

Default skip

Well if I want to know if someone´s a good outside shooter I´d look at the 3pt % first (the number you are allways leaving out of your posts).

And since you are allways referring to his FG % you might want to notice that allmost half of the shots he took were threes. That should have some effect on his field goal percentage but it also makes for an adjusted fg% of .491 which is not too bad for a guard. The fact that nearly half his shots were threes also tells you that if anything he has a good "outside shot" (he´s also a good penetrator but that´s not up for debate here). Otherwise coach wouldn´t have him take nearly 45 % of his shots from behind the arc, would he?

Oh and did you look into the espn boxscores yet. Just take a look and take note.

And career numbers are very irrelevant in some cases. Go look up JO´s stats. Take a look at his first 4 years. They make for career numbers of 11.0 pts and 6.8 rbs. So is JO the guy who averaged 20.8 and 10.3 last year or is he more of a 11/6.8 guy? What do you think?
Old 06-17-2003, 02:49 PM   #20
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Default skip

we'll have to agree to disagree here. otherwise this is going to turn into one of those he said, he said battles...

i respect your opinions and just happen to disagree with you on alston. you think he could be a good backup PG, i don't think hes that great. only time will tell.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:01 PM   #21
Fidel
Diamond Member

Default skip

Quote:
we'll have to agree to disagree here. otherwise this is going to turn into one of those he said, he said battles...

i respect your opinions and just happen to disagree with you on alston. you think he could be a good backup PG, i don't think hes that great. only time will tell.
Allright let´s agree to disagree. One minor correction though. I don´t think he could be a good backup PG, I think he allready is one. That doesn´t mean I think he´s great though. Great would be something completely different. He´s just a good backup PG.
Old 06-17-2003, 05:39 PM   #22
one long blue sock
Golden Member

Default skip

Like Fidel said, Alston has gotten alot better in all of his shooting, so that should show his work ethic, and that he is only gonna get better.