Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-27-2006, 08:48 AM   #1
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of
Default Holger: "In two years time Dirk Nowitzki will be at the peak of his career"

GER - Holger Geschwindner: "In two years time Dirk Nowitzki will be at the peak of his career"
SAITAMA (FIBA World Championship) - One of the most important figures at the FIBA World Championship is not on the court.

Instead, Holger Geschwindner sits in the stands and watches his famous pupil Dirk Nowitzki wreak havoc on opponents as Germany take aim

at another medal in this prestigious tournament.

Nowitzki had 23 points to fire the Germans to a narrow victory over Nigeria on Sunday and into the quarter finals in Saitama.

He spoke to PA Sport's Cindy Garcia-Bennett about Nowitzki and Germany.

FIBA: Dirk Nowitzki has looked tired this summer. How much time did he have to prepare for the FIBA World Championship?

Geschwindner: "We had a problem this year. Dirk played many NBA games and he also went all the way to the play-offs final.
"As a result, we only had 10 days to prepare for this tournament and we had to use the tournament to get started.
"I think that he has done his share for the team and for German basketball."

FIBA: Was it encouraging to see Ademola Okulaja have a good game against Nigeria?

Geschwindner: "We have to find a solution so Dirk gets more integrated into the team.Against Nigeria, we saw a good team effort. It doesn't make sense to have one guy having to carry all the load on his shoulders. We have to be very careful that Dirk by himself is not taking him out of games because he is used to shoot the game.
"It was a good team effort and we were lucky to win."

FIBA: How difficult is it for Nowitzki to deal with all the expectation surrounding him and Germany?

Geschwindner: "He feels pressure. He is the key figure in Germany right now, since he is playing in the NBA and everyone is watching him. It's a big load but he is handling it really well so far."

FIBA: How has Dirk Bauermann worked with Nowitzki this summer?

Geschwindner: "The coach made the right decision to keep him going and you can see a few new tools he is already practising. Dirk is the leader in assists, he is working on the playmaking stuff and it looks good to me so far."

FIBA: Germany will play Team USA in the quarter finals. How do you assess their chances?

Geschwindner: "It's a big challenge for everyone, maybe we can keep the game close and maybe we are lucky."

FIBA: Nowitzki was voted the most valuable player at last year's EuroBasket in Belgrade after leading Germany to the silver medal.
He is currently the second top scorer at the FIBA World Championship behind China's Yao Ming. Can he keep it up?

Geschwindner: "It will be more difficult this year because of the shortage of time in preparation. This time we have had to sneak through the tournament and I am confident he will find his top form by the end of the tournament."

FIBA: Do you think Nowitzki is at the high point of his career?

Geschwindner: "I guess everyone can see that he is playing his role, I hope that he can improve his tools. He needs more physical exercise. But I think in two years time he will be on top of his game.
"He improves year after year and we have a pretty good plan to keep him focused. He has two more years to reach the peak of his abilities."

FIBA: Is Nowitzki going to play at the EuroBasket in Spain next year?

Geschwindner: "I hope so. We have to qualify. Dirk's goal is to play at the Olympics and so far we have failed to qualify for that tournament in our last three attempts. It will not be an easy task but it's our next goal.
"We will be ready and confident he will be in Spain helping the team at the EuroBasket."

FIBA: You have known Nowitzki for a long time. How has he changed?

Geschwindner: "I first met Dirk when he was a schoolboy, he was 16 years old.
"He really hasn't changed much in terms of character. He is very down to earth, he has only one car and a little house. He is not playing to be a big shot. He knows he has great talent but other guys have talents in other fields. He doesn't feel superior, for Dirk everybody is the same, equal."

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/06_...1&roundID=3507
Old 08-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

dirk owns

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:39 PM   #3
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Dirk is my Ubermench... Geschwinder is my Einstein...

I love them both... good Lord look kindly upon them....
Old 08-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank goodness we got Dirk. The kid exudes class.

Last edited by Drbio; 08-27-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:43 PM   #5
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Wow, so Dirk has two more years until his peak? That's pretty impressive, he's going to be even more unstoppable.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

dirk has a small house? I thought someone once said here that he lives close to cuban...
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:38 PM   #7
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think dirk cares about much but good beer. And blondes it seems.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:06 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I don't think dirk cares about much but good beer. And blondes it seems.
I can't blame him on either count.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by StackAttack
"He really hasn't changed much in terms of character. He is very down to earth, he has only one car and a little house. He is not playing to be a big shot. He knows he has great talent but other guys have talents in other fields. He doesn't feel superior, for Dirk everybody is the same, equal."
Another reason why I love Dirk.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 08-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #10
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Supreme! Above all else!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #11
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

who the hell is holger
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:24 PM   #12
Five-ofan
Guru

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

You know dirk is awesome that is a given but holger is pretty awesome too. I know about that tax evasion thing but i bet it gets cleared up. There are alot of people who have no business getting money from pro athletes that leach onto them and drain them of money but Holger is legitimately a large reason for dirks success and i know a few years ago when dirk signed his contract they mentioned that he doesnt even take the customary agents 4.5% just expenses and a little more i think. Thats pretty awesome in the world we live in today.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, i dont blame people for going for money. Its the world we live in now and i will be the same way but it is refreshing to see some people that are different.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #13
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
who the hell is holger
Seriously?

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:10 PM   #14
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
who the hell is holger
I really hope you're kidding.

Old 08-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #15
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

Holger is arguably the best Basketball mind of the modern era, and to think, he first began his interest in basketball from an American Soldier who took the time to mentor him as a kid. Who ever the F that was he should be inshrined with a statue at the ACC...

I idolize Holger Geschwinder.... and the German IRS can stuff a million Marks up their butts for all I care!
Old 08-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation

Quote:
who the hell is holger
snappy rhetorical comment

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:14 PM   #17
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Holger is the reason there is an All-NBA First Teamer on our squad.

Him and Charles Barkley, I guess.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #18
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

dirk is still a really young player at 28.

i look for him to have 6-7 good years left.

and he is getting more experience / smarter as the seasons go by!
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote